Bitcoin Forum
August 04, 2024, 04:50:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 [71] 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 ... 230 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Reddit’s science forum banned climate deniers.  (Read 636416 times)
hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 21, 2014, 09:12:57 PM
Last edit: November 21, 2014, 09:23:14 PM by hdbuck

It is good to see the debate come around to pollution instead of global warming.

The Global Warming Campaign is an attempt to set a toll for absolution granted by the greedy masquerading as the protectorate of humanity.

Nobody wants to talk about pollution anymore though, they'd rather lay a carpet over a big pile of dirt and then raise the rent for plush accommodations.

If the discussion were about pollution, we'd have solid facts with which to debate. It seems that those in charge don't want to have that debate as pollution can list actual victims. Global warming is typical smoke and mirrors behavior, preventing logic from entering the debate.

The main topic of the discussion here is:

Is it true that science is settled and the cause of global warming is 100% man made, nothing else?

No one here is for pollution. Pollution is bad. That plastic bag stuck in my tree across my window for years is proof enough, if I knew the world only through that view. We can manage pollution made from our industrial societies as we created it. We decided pushing for a carbon tax was a priority instead, because the science was settled by 97% of scientists...

This is what my thread is about. Of course people a free to create another thread  Cool

nahh this thread is good Smiley

its just important to remind those new readers sometimes the real problem behind such scientific manipulation: profit.

and this is soo true ffs: "Global warming is typical smoke and mirrors behavior, preventing logic from entering the debate."

i believe here lays the real matter. how they manage to fool us like this is secondary. our planet is at stake.  Embarrassed

think big picture guys.. fuckin big picture.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4648
Merit: 1276

View Profile
November 21, 2014, 10:52:47 PM

I guess our new acquaintance Salzman has fled, but just wanted to ...

That was to easy...just when things were starting to get fun we have to settle for a hollow victory.  What a fuckin' pussy.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1386

View Profile
November 22, 2014, 12:27:13 AM

I guess our new acquaintance Salzman has fled, but just wanted to ...

That was to easy...just when things were starting to get fun we have to settle for a hollow victory.  What a fuckin' pussy.

IF IT'S COLD IT'S HOT!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2014/11/20/theres-growing-evidence-that-global-warming-is-driving-crazy-winters/

That's the sick twisted way these guys think.
BitDreams

Activity: 503
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 22, 2014, 02:24:51 PM

It is good to see the debate come around to pollution instead of global warming.

The Global Warming Campaign is an attempt to set a toll for absolution granted by the greedy masquerading as the protectorate of humanity.

Nobody wants to talk about pollution anymore though, they'd rather lay a carpet over a big pile of dirt and then raise the rent for plush accommodations.

If the discussion were about pollution, we'd have solid facts with which to debate. It seems that those in charge don't want to have that debate as pollution can list actual victims. Global warming is typical smoke and mirrors behavior, preventing logic from entering the debate.

Is it true that science is settled and the cause of global warming is 100% man made, nothing else?

No one here is for pollution. Pollution is bad. That plastic bag stuck in my tree across my window for years is proof enough, if I knew the world only through that view. We can manage pollution made from our industrial societies as we created it. We decided pushing for a carbon tax was a priority instead, because the science was settled by 97% of scientists...

This is what my thread is about. Of course people a free to create another thread  Cool

Sorry for the attempted hijack attempt and thanks for not removing my post.
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
November 22, 2014, 03:43:35 PM

This is what my thread is about. Of course people a free to create another thread  Cool

I wouldn't call it a hijack, and those are pretty good pics you got.  But Reddit hasn't banned anti-polluters, just anti-global-warmers.
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
November 22, 2014, 03:52:39 PM
Last edit: November 22, 2014, 04:20:50 PM by Spendulus

its just important to remind those new readers sometimes the real problem behind such scientific manipulation: profit.

and this is soo true ffs: "Global warming is typical smoke and mirrors behavior, preventing logic from entering the debate."

i believe here lays the real matter. how they manage to fool us like this is secondary. our planet is at stake.  Embarrassed

Hey, dude, look, It's for the children, man.  You are for the children, right?

Like, what about the babies?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOSsIIxQ_dE

I mean, what about the little girls?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwKDxHM88HY

Like, not so cool.  You know, pal, why not get in with the in crowd?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E42mIvjzRw

Just be sure, be very very careful, you don't listen or watch any of THAT DENIER STUFF!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMqc7PCJ-nc

Stick to the safe things that are probably true because the dorky teachers and fat government slugs tell you them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zORv8wwiadQ

You know, don't get out of line...bad things might happen to you, chumpie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUxvjJMpztM

BWHAHAHAHA!

Wink
hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 22, 2014, 04:59:06 PM

Hey, dude, look, It's for the children, man.  You are for the children, right?

Like, what about the babies?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOSsIIxQ_dE

I mean, what about the little girls?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwKDxHM88HY

Like, not so cool.  You know, pal, why not get in with the in crowd?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E42mIvjzRw

Just be sure, be very very careful, you don't listen or watch any of THAT DENIER STUFF!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMqc7PCJ-nc

Stick to the safe things that are probably true because the dorky teachers and fat government slugs tell you them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zORv8wwiadQ

You know, don't get out of line...bad things might happen to you, chumpie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUxvjJMpztM

BWHAHAHAHA!

Wink

LMFAOOOO

WTF man. What. The. Fuck. ^^
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
November 22, 2014, 05:19:15 PM

Seems to me a viable hypothesis.  Even if so, so what?  There have been severe weather events forever.  I was not alive for the Columbus day storm, but it's still talked about in the NorthWest to this day.  Even if there is a noticeable increase in severe weather events, the logical way to deal with it is to deal with them as they happen with snow shovels, chainsaws, etc as we always have.  I personally believe that severe weather has a beneficial psychological effect.  I look forward to big rains and wind and stuff because it is exciting and is incentive to actually do things, but I live in a rural area and get to (and have to) do things to deal with problems.  In the city where the most significant activity that most people take is to pick up the phone and call 911 or hire an overpriced contractor to cut a broken limb off a tree it probably is a different story.

Anyway, there is almost no doubt in my mind that this theory/hypothesis by this group is, like most of this shit, an excuse for the eco-industrial complex to further their various goals...most of which involve picking the pockets of us plebs.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
November 22, 2014, 05:40:00 PM

Why would I want to act like a reddit gestapo mod? You are welcome here Smiley. I am not going to ban, block, etc, unless you try to be really evil and then the Bitcointalk God will deal with you directly... We are all mostly adults here.

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
November 22, 2014, 07:59:27 PM

Adjusting Earth’s thermostat, with caution

A vast majority of scientists believe that the Earth is warming at an unprecedented rate and that human activity is almost certainly the dominant cause. But on the topics of response and mitigation, there is far less consensus.

One of the most controversial propositions for slowing the increase in temperatures here on Earth is to manipulate the atmosphere above. Specifically, some scientists believe it should be possible to offset the warming effect of greenhouses gases by reflecting more of the sun’s energy back into space.

The potential risks—and benefits—of solar radiation management (SRM) are substantial. So far, however, all of the serious testing has been confined to laboratory chambers and theoretical models. While those approaches are valuable, they do not capture the full range of interactions among chemicals, the impact of sunlight on these reactions, or multiscale variations in the atmosphere.

Now, a team of researchers from the Harvard School of Engineering and Applied Sciences (SEAS) has outlined how a small-scale “stratospheric perturbation experiment” could work. By proposing, in detail, a way to take the science of geoengineering to the skies, they hope to stimulate serious discussion of the practice by policymakers and scientists.
Ultimately, they say, informed decisions on climate policy will need to rely on the best information available from controlled and cautious field experiments.

The paper is among several published today in a special issue of the Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A that examine the nuances, the possible consequences, and the current state of scientific understanding of climate engineering. David Keith, whose work features prominently in the issue, is Gordon McKay Professor of Applied Physics at Harvard SEAS and a professor of public policy at Harvard Kennedy School. His coauthors on the topic of field experiments include James Anderson, Philip S. Weld Professor of Applied Chemistry at Harvard SEAS and in Harvard’s Department of Chemistry and Chemical Biology; and other colleagues at Harvard SEAS.

“The idea of conducting experiments to alter atmospheric processes is justifiably controversial, and our experiment, SCoPEx, is just a proposal,” Keith emphasizes. “It will continue to evolve until it is funded, and we will only move ahead if the funding is substantially public, with a formal approval process and independent risk assessment.”
With so much at stake, Keith believes transparency is essential. But the science of climate engineering is also widely misunderstood.

“People often claim that you cannot test geoengineering except by doing it at full scale,” says Keith. “This is nonsense. It is possible to do a small-scale test, with quite low risks, that measures key aspects of the risk of geoengineering—in this case the risk of ozone loss.”

Such controlled experiments, targeting key questions in atmospheric chemistry, Keith says, would reduce the number of “unknown unknowns” and help to inform science-based policy.

The experiment Keith and Anderson’s team is proposing would involve only a tiny amount of material—a few hundred grams of sulfuric acid, an amount Keith says is roughly equivalent to what a typical commercial aircraft releases in a few minutes while flying in the stratosphere. It would provide important insight into how much SRM would reduce radiative heating, the concentration of water vapor in the stratosphere, and the processes that determine water vapor transport—which affects the concentration of ozone.

In addition to the experiment proposed in that publication, another paper coauthored by Keith and collaborators at the California Institute of Technology (CalTech) collects and reviews a number of other experimental methods, to demonstrate the diversity of possible approaches.

“There is a wide range of experiments that could be done that would significantly reduce our uncertainty about the risks and effectiveness of solar geoengineering,” Keith says. “Many could be done with very small local risks.”

A third paper explores how solar geoengineering might actually be implemented, if an international consensus were reached, and suggests that a gradual implementation that aims to limit the rate of climate change would be a plausible strategy.
“Many people assume that solar geoengineering would be used to suddenly restore the Earth’s climate to preindustrial temperatures,” says Keith, “but it’s very unlikely that it would make any policy sense to try to do so.”

Keith also points to another paper in the Royal Society’s special issue—one by Andy Parker at the Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs at Harvard Kennedy School. Parker’s paper furthers the discussion of governance and good practices in geoengineering research in the absence of both national legislation and international agreement, a topic raised last year in Science by Keith and Edward Parson of UCLA.

“The scientific aspects of geoengineering research must, by necessity, advance in tandem with a thorough discussion of the social science and policy,” Keith warns. “Of course, these risks must also be weighed against the risk of doing nothing.”

http://www.seas.harvard.edu/news/2014/11/adjusting-earth-s-thermostat-with-caution

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Let us, smart profs getting $10 000 per articles posted on random places, start changing the climate to save the climate that was supposedly changed by human beings...

Yep! I don't see any problems with this...  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
November 22, 2014, 08:28:48 PM

Adjusting Earth’s thermostat, with caution

A vast majority of scientists believe that the Earth is warming at an unprecedented rate and that human activity is almost certainly the dominant cause.......
Let us, smart profs getting $10 000 per articles posted on random places, start changing the climate to save the climate that was supposedly changed by human beings...

Yep! I don't see any problems with this...  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Wait, so they want to adjust the thermostat on the planet that hasn't warmed for 20 years, on which they are right now trying to tell us that it's so cold because it's so warm?

Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
November 22, 2014, 08:30:27 PM

Consider the following. 

Mid latitudes warm, it is of course attributed to Global Warming.

Mid latitudes chill, it is.....attributed TO GLOBAL WARMING!

The hypothesis which at first seems plausible, on examination has a little problem.

I submit that a more likely explanation is the phenomena called in Old-Speak...

....summer...and...winter...
Come-In-Behind

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 22, 2014, 11:53:07 PM

Consider the following. 

The hypothesis which at first seems plausible, on examination has a little problem.

Good luck with your Conspiracy Theories. How are they working out for ya?
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
November 23, 2014, 12:16:50 AM

Consider the following. 

To be fair, an increased amplitude and oscillation of the jetstream due to human induced factors or otherwise could produce the described effect.  But again, so fuckin' what?  Are we going to condemn those who have not 'made it' to a life of abject poverty and sterilization and downgrade our own standard of living to a point where we cannot cope with issues on the very dubious conjectures that

- it is our fault
 - we could do anything substantive about it even if we tried
 - we would not fuck things up even worse by trying

I say 'nope', especially since most of the 'science' which the whole climate scare is based on is questionable at best and pretty clearly in significant part a scam by control freaks.  Let's deal with the issues (if there are any) as humans always have;  by adapting.  And if there are genuine issues to deal with then let's put some effort toward helping the less adaptable creatures as best we reasonably can.  That's my vote.

Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
November 23, 2014, 12:39:54 AM

Consider the following. 

To be fair, an increased amplitude and oscillation of the jetstream due to human induced factors or otherwise could produce the described effect.  But again, so fuckin' what?  Are we going to condemn those who have not 'made it' to a life of abject poverty and sterilization and downgrade our own standard of living to a point where we cannot cope with issues on the very dubious conjectures that

- it is our fault
 - we could do anything substantive about it even if we tried
 - we would not fuck things up even worse by trying

I say 'nope', especially since most of the 'science' which the whole climate scare is based on is questionable at best and pretty clearly in significant part a scam by control freaks.  Let's deal with the issues (if there are any) as humans always have;  by adapting.  And if there are genuine issues to deal with then let's put some effort toward helping the less adaptable creatures as best we reasonably can.  That's my vote.

Oh, we are in agreement.  I've only brought up this issue of the cold-means-hot because it illustrates quite clearly the subjugation of climate science to the liars.  I understand that at first glance the argument appears plausible, but you need to look a bit wider.

Mull this over.  Two separate facts.

1.  It has not warmed in 20 years.
2.  The jet stream has drifted a bit south.

These mutually confirm the hypothesis that the EARTH IS NOT WARMING, at least not for the last 20 years.  I'm sure you can see that #1 and #2 are consistent with the hypothesis. They do not confirm the opposite. 

Caviat:  Remember, "climate" is periods of 30 years so we don't quite have 30 years of no warming yet, therefore (regardless of what short time periods the alarmists choose to use) we can't say the CLIMATE has not warmed yet. 

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
November 23, 2014, 01:31:08 AM

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/11/22/Renewable-energy-so-useless-that-even-greenie-Google-gave-up-on-it

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
When a giant like google tries it is not cost effective. That is why it only makes sense if everyone on the planet get taxed while paying poor countries from developing their industries.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZWIpKRuur0

tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
November 23, 2014, 01:55:55 AM

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/11/22/Renewable-energy-so-useless-that-even-greenie-Google-gave-up-on-it

When a giant like google tries it is not cost effective. That is why it only makes sense if everyone on the planet get taxed while paying poor countries from developing their industries.

Give them credit for at least not just making up the data (or algorithms to 'correct' it) like the real 'climate scientists' who get their funding through the U.N.

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
November 23, 2014, 03:28:41 AM

Give them credit for at least not just making up the data (or algorithms to 'correct' it) like the real 'climate scientists' who get their funding through the U.N.

I am not against alternative energy to contrary. I love what electric cars like Tesla brings to the market... Google tried and failed for now AND did not hide or lied about it.. If they could set aside 5 billion just for R&D who knows what kind of amazing steps in alternative energy we could get. Facebook spent more that 10B on buying a smart phone app... They could have looked into Gates proposal instead? Nah.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaF-fq2Zn7I

Realistically I should be against all electric cars too as all those batteries are future ticking stinking bombs. Some people have their heart in the right place, but the technology is just not there yet, so you get those giant bird guillotines, or that mega solar cooker that fries migrating birds in mid air, etc. Now they are coming with even worse "solutions", like fixing the climate by a $10000-per-article-moron who can't even point to a URL helping him win an argument on a forum. They know better. we the peasants know nothing. Google knew better.

Now what will happen with those giant guillotines? Hopefully they will be recycled... While gigantic plastic balloons are sent up the air for their free worldwide internet connection... 20 of those giants PER DAY

http://venturebeat.com/2014/11/20/googles-project-loon-can-now-fill-a-balloon-in-under-five-minutes-and-launch-up-to-20-balloons-per-day/

Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
November 23, 2014, 06:59:59 PM

I am not against alternative energy to contrary. I love what electric cars like Tesla brings to the market... Google tried and failed for now AND did not hide or lied about it.. If they could set aside 5 billion just for R&D who knows what kind of amazing steps in alternative energy we could get. Facebook spent more that 10B on buying a smart phone app... They could have looked into Gates proposal instead? Nah.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaF-fq2Zn7I

Realistically I should be against all electric cars too as all those batteries are future ticking stinking bombs. Some people have their heart in the right place, but the technology is just not there yet, so you get those giant bird guillotines, or that mega solar cooker that fries migrating birds in mid air, etc. Now they are coming with even worse "solutions", like fixing the climate by a $10000-per-article-moron who can't even point to a URL helping him win an argument on a forum. They know better. we the peasants know nothing. Google knew better.

Now what will happen with those giant guillotines? Hopefully they will be recycled... While gigantic plastic balloons are sent up the air for their free worldwide internet connection... 20 of those giants PER DAY

http://venturebeat.com/2014/11/20/googles-project-loon-can-now-fill-a-balloon-in-under-five-minutes-and-launch-up-to-20-balloons-per-day/

That's really not sustainable and it's not good for the planet.

Can't they use paper bags?
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
November 23, 2014, 07:17:39 PM

Nothing is free, my friend.  If it seems that way it would be wise to open your eyes extra wide and expand your area of analysis a bit.

Pages: « 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 [71] 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 ... 230 »
  Print  

Jump to: