Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 04:34:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ... 362 »
  Print  
Author Topic: rpietila Wall Observer - the Quality TA Thread ;)  (Read 907160 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
bitrider

Activity: 233
Merit: 101

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 02:26:44 AM

Do any of you guys who only use "10% of coins for trading and 90% in cold storage" or whatever the ratio is find it frustrating every time you double up the 10% but missed the opportunity to double up the rest of the 90%? If I did such a thing it would feel like a huge loss to me.

Good question. This is exactly what I do. 90 cold/10 trade...I have a large enough stash of coins accumulated over the last couple of years, that I really do not feel I need to make much addition. So your question works the other way for me. I find the 10% trading account, keeps my greed/fear and active mind from disturbing my longer term investment strategy. I trade very cautiously with the 10% and only risk coins when I am very confident. For example I sold into fiat at the double top in December and bought back at about 450. Very good trade for me and made a nice addition to my cold store. And I did not sell anything when RP was making his case that we are going much lower after we recovered to midpoint.  Although I agree that we are likely going to slide lower for some time now, I not confident enough in this to risk coins - and I am comfortable riding out whatever consolidation we encounter. This all has served me well and has slowly increased my total coins. So far so good.

I rarely listen to the noise from the day traders and I discount most of what I read here as well, although I take it all in and appreciate it. I have been watching this market daily for 2.5 years, so I have a pretty good feel for the big patterns and moves, and have been trading equities and options for more than 10 years as a hobby.

Bottom line, it all depends on your current situation and goals. And of course how good a trader you are. So no advice from anyone can really address what you are facing yourself. We must all find a trading/investing style that matches our personality and skill/knowledge base. No one size fits all. That said, for most of us, holding coins is the best answer - and whatever you have to do to actually practice that is the key.

and if you don't now have the stash you think you need, I would suggest taking a second job or finding some other way of making extra cash to put into btc ASAP, rather than trading to build your holding. Despite all the smart people in this thread and others, only the best traders (and you know who you are) are able to do this consistently. Just MHO..

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 02:51:36 AM

In terms of market cap, just the Bitcoin currency (ignoring its obvious value as a payment network/p2p ledger) could roughly be compared to the current M2 USD supply (~$10 trillion) plus total value of gold mined on the planet (~$8 trillion). A $1MM BTC price would give a total possible market cap of ~$21 trillion, ignoring lost coins. Not too far off.

You are making my point for me.  Expecting bitcoin to have a value LARGER than USD M2 + All gold is definitely fantastic.

Keep in mind that $1MM USD may or may not be as valuable as you think in the future.  It's an arbitrary number.  1 XBT is worth 100,000 Yen right now but the right question is how much real purchasing power that represents.

You are also making my point, and what you describe would requite such social upheaval I personally hope it doesn't happen.

I feel that level of price would require the sort of social upending that would threaten the networks needed to keep BTC valuable.
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 03:16:21 AM

Expecting bitcoin to have a value LARGER than USD M2 + All gold is definitely fantastic.

It's not fantastic if there are no USD.  The stock is not important to the value of a currency.  The circulating supply determines the "market cap".

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
SlipperySlope

Activity: 686
Merit: 501

Stephen Reed

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 03:34:34 AM
Last edit: January 10, 2014, 08:13:24 AM by SlipperySlope

I am personally a BTC bull, but I have a hard time imagining the sort of scenario where BTC is worth $1MM USD.  I feel that level of price would require the sort of social upending that would threaten the networks needed to keep BTC valuable.

Wrap your mind around the notion that Bitcoin is a superior currency to existing fiat and will replace it economically. Here are still-relevant reasons authored by Rick Falkvinge that appealed to me back in 2011. . .

The Target Value For Bitcoin Is Not Some $50 Or $100. It Is $100,000 To $1,000,000

Bitcoin's Four Drivers: Part One - Unlawful Trade

Bitcoin's Four Drivers: Part Two - International Trade

Bitcoin's Four Drivers: Part Three - Merchant Trade

Bitcoin's Four Drivers: Part Four - Investment
CoolStoryBro

Activity: 89
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 07:01:50 AM
Last edit: January 10, 2014, 08:43:32 AM by CoolStoryBro

Hello guys,

I have a few questions which I think might help us all:

1) Maybe it would be little bit offtopic from your thread, but it's TA thread after all?

And in order to get quality TA you should have a proper tool for that.
What sites are you using for TA and why?

I think the best source for graphs (mostly for intraday, though) is bitcoinwisdom.com

though, there is several other projects which might be good too (but I didn't find a good use for it)
https://www.bigterminal.com/chart/currency/BTCUSD/   <- Gox based
https://bitcoinaverage.com/#USD <- average BTC price
I'll add few other sites I have from home.

Still, these sites not good enough for analyzing historical data.
I tried to use MT4 terminal from BTC-e but they seem to have own limitations as well.

Bitcoinwisdom is great for analysis, especially with it volume tool. But you should be very cautious for the volume.
If candle was red, then they color up whole volume is red, while it's actually could be quite wrong (say, for the start of M15 candle someone  can buy 500 btc on "dry" market triggering price from 800 to 820  and if there is small order book, ex rate could actually go to 790 with like 150 BTC until end of the M15 preiod - in that way, all volume for M15 candle would be red, but actual volume was more "green").

Is there a website which tracks for the consolidated  "true" volume of trades?

2) Considering short term or intraday- looking for H1 chart for bitstamp(@bitcoinwisdom) - we can see there is bunch of big red candles with big volume but price didn't get lower. For me it seems like sellers don't want to crash price but rather allow it to get higher and sell in several portions, instead of big dump.

If that's correct, then we should expect a bigger dump - cause whales want to dump some coins on a better price before actual bigger dump.

From the other hand, these volumes could be quite irrelevant in a mid term. Whats your opinion?
rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 08:13:24 AM

In terms of market cap, just the Bitcoin currency (ignoring its obvious value as a payment network/p2p ledger) could roughly be compared to the current M2 USD supply (~$10 trillion) plus total value of gold mined on the planet (~$8 trillion). A $1MM BTC price would give a total possible market cap of ~$21 trillion, ignoring lost coins. Not too far off.

You are making my point for me.  Expecting bitcoin to have a value LARGER than USD M2 + All gold is definitely fantastic.

As little as 8 months ago the value of gold alone ($300k) was considered insane by most. The thread outlining the $1M scenario (actually it is $5M but it is adequately triggered when the price reaches $1M) gives more background.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 08:17:31 AM

and if you don't now have the stash you think you need, I would suggest taking a second job or finding some other way of making extra cash to put into btc ASAP, rather than trading to build your holding. Despite all the smart people in this thread and others, only the best traders (and you know who you are) are able to do this consistently. Just MHO..

I warmly recommend this also. If you are reading this, you know enough about bitcoin already. Now go to work, earn money and buy as many bitcoins as you can during the next 6-12 months. Then start reading forums again Smiley

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
e4xit

Activity: 302
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 11:51:34 AM

---snip--
What sites are you using for TA and why?
 --snip--

Here is my list, sure you will be able to find *something* useful in here...:

Marketdata - Bitcoin Chain

BTCWisdom
Bitcoinity
Bitcoin Watch
Bitcoin network graphs
Coinometrics
RTBTC
Coinorama
Bitcoin charts
Preev
Tradingview
Bitcoin ticker
Bitcoin Pulse
BTCLook
Biteasy (Block explorer)

You might like to start with trading hill and rtbtc from the sounds of it though?

Not your keys, not your coins.
CoinJoin, always.
xxnewbiecoinerxx

Activity: 68

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 02:21:36 PM

What kind of influence might Overstock have on the price short/mid-term?
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 02:28:54 PM

Re overstock et filia:

More use means more flow means more liquidity means more price discovery means less volatility means more confidence means more demand means higher price.

But it's a long chain, and any link can prove weak.  It's also a long pipeline and it takes time for inputs to be expressed as outputs.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
bambou

Activity: 346

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 03:58:59 PM

more use = more flow = more liquidity = more price discovery = less volatility = more confidence = more demand = higher price

FTFY.

Sounds credible/logical to me though Smiley

Non inultus premor
SlipperySlope

Activity: 686
Merit: 501

Stephen Reed

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 09:16:07 PM

Re overstock et filia:

More use means more flow means more liquidity means more price discovery means less volatility means more confidence means more demand means higher price.

But it's a long chain, and any link can prove weak.  It's also a long pipeline and it takes time for inputs to be expressed as outputs.

I would organize the thoughtful situations you offer not as a path, but rather as a Bayesian Influence Diagram . . .

The diagram is shared here.
thoughtfan

Activity: 784
Merit: 506

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 10:30:56 PM

Re overstock et filia:

I would organize the thoughtful situations you offer not as a path, but rather as a Bayesian Influence Diagram . . .

I like that a lot thank you Smiley
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 11:29:37 PM

Re overstock et filia:

But it's a long chain, and any link can prove weak.  It's also a long pipeline and it takes time for inputs to be expressed as outputs.

PFFFT.  You didn't really even try...  And  two dimensions is just so "pre ASIC".

michaelGedi

Activity: 364

"to be or not to be, that is the bitcoin"

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 11:33:09 PM

Re overstock et filia:

But it's a long chain, and any link can prove weak.  It's also a long pipeline and it takes time for inputs to be expressed as outputs.

PFFFT.  You didn't really even try...  And  two dimensions is just so "pre ASIC".

much clearer, thank you

TRADE FOREX, STOCKS AND COMMODITIES without the paperwork with Bitcoin: https://1broker.com/m/r.php?i=3589

1BROKER has been around since 2012 and is going strong
TERA

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 11:38:04 PM

Hey rpietila. How is your sale in the 600s doing? Do you still intend to turn a profit on it?
rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 01:47:24 PM

Hey rpietila. How is your sale in the 600s doing? Do you still intend to turn a profit on it?

Either way I make a profit. If it goes to 400, I make more coins, if it doesn't, I make more dollars.*

*Compared to the average dishoarding schedule.

Besides I already made that dip by selling 900, buying back 500. Everything else is extra.

xxnewbiecoinerxx

Activity: 68

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 01:54:35 PM

Either way I make a profit. If it goes to 400, I make more coins, if it doesn't, I make more dollars.*

Besides I already made that dip by selling 900, buying back 500. Everything else is extra.

Has your confidence in 500ish boosted in the last days? It seems that right now we are following the April`s crash pattern. Lowest point maybe mid Feb.?
rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 02:52:46 PM

Has your confidence in 500ish boosted in the last days? It seems that right now we are following the April`s crash pattern. Lowest point maybe mid Feb.?

I have been busy with other matters, and have not updated the analysis on price. It is not a big deal really - if it goes to my buy zone, I wake up and see that I have bought. If not, I will keep the cash. I am not buying anything above 500 for sure, that zone is for newbies Wink

Ivanhoe

Activity: 841
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 03:01:44 PM

Want to bet for a box of cigars that it won't go below $500 this year? ( edit: Mt.Gox price )
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ... 362 »
  Print  

Jump to: