Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 08:25:54 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 ... 362 »
  Print  
Author Topic: rpietila Wall Observer - the Quality TA Thread ;)  (Read 907175 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
windjc
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 07:47:58 PM

I think you are right. I also think that we will see 500 in the last exchange where we haven't yet seen it. End of March suits me very well.

Can't help but noticing you haven't mentioned 400 this time?

I picked up on that as well. Smiley      Curiouser and curiouser...

Price targets change over time.

The 200 SMA now sits just north of $450 on Stamp. Do not see us going below that for more than a day or so. In another 20 days it will be at $500 and moving up. $400s are getting less and less likely outside of a flash crash.
rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 07:58:25 PM

The 200 SMA now sits just north of $450 on Stamp. Do not see us going below that for more than a day or so. In another 20 days it will be at $500 and moving up. $400s are getting less and less likely outside of a flash crash.

I am following these indicators. If you are preying for cheap coins, flash crash works fine. Gox is currently 292. If I had had my net in BTCe, the crash there would have given me coins at 420 average with every order fulfilled. The issue is not whether it will go down but how low and for how long. Probably my average buyin will be more than 420. In the last big crash it was 519. But everyone is free to follow their own strategy.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
bitrider

Activity: 233
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 08:44:47 PM

+1 However I expect flash crashes, and even some days below 200 SMA and have orders in place to reflect this. If they don't happen, we will likely be riding the 200 up to basing levels and there will be time enough to reset the orders at higher prices. Won't effect my overall strategy significantly.
conspirosphere.tk
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064

Bitcoin is antisemitic

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 09:23:35 PM

The issue is not whether it will go down but how low and for how long.

...and where. Goxbux, Goxcoins and Goxprice pertain to the world of fables and unicorns.
You've been Re-Goxxed
rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 03:48:15 PM

THIS PLACE IS ALMOST DEAD. JUST LIKE MTGOX.

I started lurking in Bitcointalk when I contemplated buying bitcoins the first time, during the 2011 bubble. Afterwards I made the purchase, and continued lurking through the plateau at $5, fall of Bitcoinica, Pirate@40, etc. until this thing started to interest me more and I registered late 2012.

I was really active in March-May 2013, and again starting October 2013. Now after 2,500 posts and 33 days of activity, I feel that not only my stay here, but even this very place, is coming to an end.

In the very beginning (of which I was not witnessing), the average IQ of the posters was probably +3.0 (145 if sd=15). That kind of community functions really well. But when Bitcoin started its exponential rise in the exchanges, exponentially more people were drawn in and given posting privileges. This started the slow but inevitable slide in the quality of discourse.

At first, a little-less-smart people respect the oldtimers, and fit in well. Afterwards one level less smart people enter in, and soon the oldtimers who actually know about things are outnumbered such that they cannot keep the average level of discussion up, and it reverts to the level of the newcomers. In the next stage the oldtimers are so far above the newcomers that meaningful discussion is not even possible, and at this point they segregate themselves to speak actual matters somewhere else, leaving the education of the forum to middle-knowledgeable people like me.

As recently as a year ago, people were laughing at me here, because my mouth was bigger than the actual knowledge. Now they respect me (except the trolls that are so much below me that they don't recognize it). But talking about the forum, it is a terrible thing that the people who know stuff are inundated with junk, and leaving. And now I am thinking the same.

Perhaps this is the way things go. My friend who knows the lifecycle of Internet forums, has explained that ever-expansion and quality cannot remain in the same place. In theory this could maybe, possibly, have been remedied long time ago by guarding the posting rights carefully. Now it is almost certainly too late, and the new forum software after minimum 12 months will not come on time to bring the lost contributors back.

This is a lamentation. Not a suggestion, nor a call to action. Sorry.

There are other communities available, I am a member of one, and if you really burn for Bitcoin and the economy it enables, shoot a PM with some kind of introduction.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
Undone

Activity: 95
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 05:19:21 PM

At first, a little-less-smart people respect the oldtimers, and fit in well. Afterwards one level less smart people enter in, and soon the oldtimers who actually know about things are outnumbered such that they cannot keep the average level of discussion up, and it reverts to the level of the newcomers. In the next stage the oldtimers are so far above the newcomers that meaningful discussion is not even possible, and at this point they segregate themselves to speak actual matters somewhere else, leaving the education of the forum to middle-knowledgeable people like me.

I'm going to push back on this comment a little. Haven't you mentioned that you quit your career in order that you could educate people full-time about bitcoin?

If so, then it seems you've already tasked yourself with such a responsibility. If it truly is the task of the earlier adopters to spread the word, then segregating yourself off from newcomers seems antithetical to your mission.

I'm sure there are very good reasons for the "high-level of knowledge" posters to congregate. But there are also very good reasons for them to stay and fight the good fight.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 05:21:18 PM

I think there's only so much energy anyone can devote to a black hole of fudsters and freshly minted know it alls.
Mythul

Activity: 644
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 05:24:09 PM

Mr. rpietila I personally really enjoy reading your posts, although I rarely post on your threads since I do not have enough knowledge to bring something productive new to them. I just hope you won't leave the community.

There has been a lot of negativity lately due to the bear market and some pretty bad FUD which lead to a lot of anger and trolling on the forum.

I hope that maybe in a few months the general sentiment(at least of the speculation thread) will be more positive and productive.
Undone

Activity: 95
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 05:26:30 PM

I agree with that, gentlemand.

Bitcoin has huge obstacles to hurdle in general if it is to succeed. Education, and more importantly quality education, is possibly the greatest tool in overcoming these obstacles.

But yes, I'm positive that it's tiring to the old-timers to sift through thread after thread of the same nonsense and fear-mongering. Hell, I've only been here a few months and I can see the increase myself.
RAJSALLIN

Activity: 665
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 05:34:03 PM

Agree, rpietila is the reason I'm here. Without him and i'd say bye bye to bitcointalk. With the amount of followers you got and the attraction you have I think it would be a huge loss for not only this forum but Bitcoin as a whole if your thoughts are only released to an elite few.

Concerning the quality here I think it's partly because we are currently in a "boring" period for bitcoin. Much like the period may-aug last year. People are just not putting that much energy into producing quality posts. When the steam starts coming back I bet the quality will increase even with more newcomers.

A revolutionary decentralized digital economy 
`Join us:██`Twitter  ◽  Facebook  ◽  Telegram  ◽  Youtube  ◽  Github`
.ATHERO
.Internet 3.0 solution
nickenburg

Activity: 434
Merit: 511

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 05:37:22 PM

THIS PLACE IS ALMOST DEAD. JUST LIKE MTGOX.

I started lurking in Bitcointalk when I contemplated buying bitcoins the first time, during the 2011 bubble. Afterwards I made the purchase, and continued lurking through the plateau at $5, fall of Bitcoinica, Pirate@40, etc. until this thing started to interest me more and I registered late 2012.

I was really active in March-May 2013, and again starting October 2013. Now after 2,500 posts and 33 days of activity, I feel that not only my stay here, but even this very place, is coming to an end.

In the very beginning (of which I was not witnessing), the average IQ of the posters was probably +3.0 (145 if sd=15). That kind of community functions really well. But when Bitcoin started its exponential rise in the exchanges, exponentially more people were drawn in and given posting privileges. This started the slow but inevitable slide in the quality of discourse.

As recently as a year ago, people were laughing at me here, because my mouth was bigger than the actual knowledge. Now they respect me (except the trolls that are so much below me that they don't recognize it). But talking about the forum, it is a terrible thing that the people who know stuff are inundated with junk, and leaving. And now I am thinking the same.

Perhaps this is the way things go. My friend who knows the lifecycle of Internet forums, has explained that ever-expansion and quality cannot remain in the same place. In theory this could maybe, possibly, have been remedied long time ago by guarding the posting rights carefully. Now it is almost certainly too late, and the new forum software after minimum 12 months will not come on time to bring the lost contributors back.

This is a lamentation. Not a suggestion, nor a call to action. Sorry.

There are other communities available, I am a member of one, and if you really burn for Bitcoin and the economy it enables, shoot a PM with some kind of introduction.

Im a new in the community to, and already have read alot of your posts,
I really like how you gave some insight and expect bitcoin to be very high in the future.
I already learned alot from you and it would be a shame if you left the forum.
Keep it up man!
jayspin

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 06:59:49 PM

I'm relatively new here, although I've been a long time Lurker as well, and I must say I agree with rpietila. This whole section has become little more than an epic trollfest. Scrolling through all the noise and reading the same troll threads over and over has become tiresome. If I wanted to waste my time participating in nonsense banter and kindergarten joke memes, I'd go to 4chan. I rarely visit this place anymore these days because it has become a big dump full of silly.

I don't have anything to say against some fun every once in a while, but it has clearly gone overboard on here. I fully understand your reasoning and your moving away from this... sometimes it's just time to move on.
sgbett
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 07:07:21 PM

But Risto! that would be like abandoning the internets because it is full of adverts, malware, and spam SEO sites Wink

Stick it out, filter the noise, it  is what it is, and what you make of it x

I don't necessarily agree with what people say, but I find it imperative that I read their points of view so I can better understand and challenge my own.

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
*my posts are not investment advice*
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 5142

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 07:36:44 PM

But Risto! that would be like abandoning the internets because it is full of adverts, malware, and spam SEO sites Wink

Stick it out, filter the noise, it  is what it is, and what you make of it x

I don't necessarily agree with what people say, but I find it imperative that I read their points of view so I can better understand and challenge my own.

Internet forums are what internet forums are.  And they evolve and change because of zeitgeist.  People fall in love with a culture and feel pain when it evolves into something new.  I've seen it a million times.

I would be willing to bet I fall into the "low-iq" hoard the OP is complaining about, at least in his eyes.  And I am frankly OK with that because I am not here to please him, and he is welcome to delete my posts in his thread.

That said I have two points which I think are salient.

First, there are some of us who indeed HAVE been around for a while, but who have not contributed on the level of the OP.  That is what it is too...  and to be honest not everyone CAN contribute that way, and it's not just that they are dumb.  In fact I feel a bit of disgust whenever these sorts of elitist sounding ideas come forth.  On the other hand there IS a bitcoin elite, and an old guard.

Which brings the second point.  Bitcoin ABSOLUTELY NEEDS to be something that the simpler folks can understand, embrace, and use.  You can't claim to want to bring BTC to the mainstream and then bag out when they start showing up.

That said I respect OP, and his point in this complaint.  He is obviously free to feel yhe way he does and it is understandable.  Go in peace rpietila.  Or stay.  Others will rise up to fill the empty spots as needed.  Whichever.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 08:44:17 PM

Mtgox is in a much worse position than this forum.

There will always be someone saying unintelligent things. Just how the world works.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

chriswilmer
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2014, 08:54:37 PM

I think any curious observer of Bitcoin would be as interested in the postings of trolls as the postings of wise men. All of the posts are empirical data that may give insights to the continued growth of Bitcoin and its impact on society.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 09:17:10 PM

I'm going to push back on this comment a little. Haven't you mentioned that you quit your career in order that you could educate people full-time about bitcoin?

If so, then it seems you've already tasked yourself with such a responsibility. If it truly is the task of the earlier adopters to spread the word, then segregating yourself off from newcomers seems antithetical to your mission.

I'm sure there are very good reasons for the "high-level of knowledge" posters to congregate. But there are also very good reasons for them to stay and fight the good fight.

Any educating I have done on these forums has been rehashing information that is already publicly available and easily found with a google search.  People are just lazy, and if the want to learn they need to put in some effort themselves.  People who already know the details are busy working on software and platforms to increase usability and flexibility.  Tutoring newbies isn't the best use of our time, and we didn't have anyone do it for us.  We took some initiative to seek out what we desired to know.

Also, having been around since 2010, I can say unequivocally that Bitcoin doesn't need sales and marketing.  Bitcoin needs software and systems.  Without those, it won't even keep pace with natural word of mouth growth.  Any sales and marketing at this point is putting the cart before the horse and only adds to volatility as speculative rent seeking usage outpaces transactional usage.  Bitcoin sells itself, and anything you might want to know about it is already in the public domain.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
conspirosphere.tk
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064

Bitcoin is antisemitic

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 09:22:52 PM

well I hope I did not troll too hard. My intention was just to keep the debate going.
I'm also a fan of rpietila
fonzie

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 09:25:13 PM

SUMMARY:

TROLLS 1 -RPIETILA 0

Cheesy Cheesy

"To know death, Otto, you have to fuck life in the gallbladder"
www.hsbc.com  - The world´s local bank
"These FUDsters are insane egomaniacs that just want cheap BTC" - oblivi
Trolololo

Activity: 263
Merit: 280

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 09:30:07 PM

Risto, if you think that que IQ of the forum has dropped significantly, I can guarantee you that it will be much worse by next year!

Personally, I read carefully all your posts. Two times at least. And I also save them.

From several months ago, I have been following 4 users in different forums, and you all are leaving at the same time. Maybe that's how things are. You have been giving more, by far, than you have been receiving.

If you are going to post in other forums, I would like to be able to read your comments there. So, please, PM me the forum you are going to post to.

Thank you.

---------

Coming back to AT, every time seems clearer to me that the correction after November's bubble (Bitstamp) is more and more similar to correction after April's bubble. The shape and times of the chart are quite similar.

So, if my Fibos are correct, dipping a little below 500 (I expect 480) before end of March is more and more probable, and I'm increasing my positions on that probability.

Thanks again for your contribution, Risto.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 ... 362 »
  Print  

Jump to: