Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 03:34:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 5445 5446 5447 5448 5449 5450 5451 5452 5453 5454 5455 5456 5457 5458 5459 5460 5461 5462 5463 5464 5465 5466 5467 5468 5469 5470 5471 5472 5473 5474 5475 5476 5477 5478 5479 5480 5481 5482 5483 5484 5485 5486 5487 5488 5489 5490 5491 5492 5493 5494 [5495] 5496 5497 5498 5499 5500 5501 5502 5503 5504 5505 5506 5507 5508 5509 5510 5511 5512 5513 5514 5515 5516 5517 5518 5519 5520 5521 5522 5523 5524 5525 5526 5527 5528 5529 5530 5531 5532 5533 5534 5535 5536 5537 5538 5539 5540 5541 5542 5543 5544 5545 ... 7012 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][DASH] Dash (dash.org) | First Self-Funding Self-Governing Crypto Currency  (Read 9722547 times)
TanteStefana2
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 06, 2015, 05:45:38 AM

Privacy is extremely important, but for practical uses, to really be usable in day to day transactions for normal people, instantaneous transactions is almost more important, certainly just as important, IMO.  Now with Evolution, extremely "easy to use, hard to lose" makes it the perfect banking solution for everyone.

With the DAPI allowing for simple wallets that "magically" know your account, you don't have to keep any personal information on your device, other than remembering one passphrase to access everything.  None of it will be on your device, it's all in a distributed encrypted database throughout the Masternode network.

Still private
Always instant
Can't lose your wallet.dat
No need to manage security and backup.

One passphrase, on any device, and you have access to everything.

Close the application, it's gone, not on your device, safely tucked away into the MN network.

How much easier can that be?  How much safer?  

F'ing Awesome (coming from a 50+ year old hag, LOL)

No wallet.dat , are you sure? How would they ensure that the passphrase is as secure as a private key?

Edit: "All wallets will use deterministic seeds that store your keys on the device (not on the network)"

I was trying to get Evan to clarify that, because the rest of what he said in the documents contradicts that?  Maybe I'm misunderstanding... Sad

Another proud lifetime Dash Foundation member Smiley My TanteStefana account was hacked, Beware trading
"You'll never reach your destination if you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks."
Sir Winston Churchill  BTC: 12pu5nMDPEyUGu3HTbnUB5zY5RG65EQE5d
jc12345
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1013

View Profile
December 06, 2015, 06:01:50 AM
Last edit: December 06, 2015, 06:13:27 AM by jc12345

Privacy is extremely important, but for practical uses, to really be usable in day to day transactions for normal people, instantaneous transactions is almost more important, certainly just as important, IMO.  Now with Evolution, extremely "easy to use, hard to lose" makes it the perfect banking solution for everyone.

With the DAPI allowing for simple wallets that "magically" know your account, you don't have to keep any personal information on your device, other than remembering one passphrase to access everything.  None of it will be on your device, it's all in a distributed encrypted database throughout the Masternode network.

Still private
Always instant

Close the application, it's gone, not on your device, safely tucked away into the MN network.

How will you get around the principle of something you know, something you have and something you are? If there is nothing that can be tied back to something you have on your device then it means that there is only something you know which is the passphrase. This would open it up to phishing attacks and social engineering that can be executed remotely to attack the funds on the network.

In addition, how will recoverability work in the event of a negative event eg. a user died and bequeathed his passphrase to someone else?
Jestah

Activity: 426
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 06, 2015, 06:14:07 AM

dashwhale down at the moment me thinks?

Yes, it's confirming to me that he isn't paying what he said he was.   Roll Eyes
noobtrader
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 06, 2015, 06:16:06 AM

Still private
Always instant

How will you get around the principle of something you know, something you have and something you are? If there is nothing that can be tied back to something you have on your device then it means that there is only something you know which is the passphrase. This would open it up to phishing attacks and social engineering that can be executed remotely to attack the funds on the network.

In addition, how will recoverability work in the event of a negative event eg. a user died and bequeathed his passphrase to someone else?

i think this is similiar to NXT wallet ? sort of mix of brain wallet  with online wallet ?

"...I suspect we need a better incentive for users to run nodes instead of relying solely on altruism...",  satoshi@vistomail.com
Jestah

Activity: 426
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 06, 2015, 06:23:22 AM

dashwhale down at the moment me thinks?

Yes, it's confirming to me that he isn't paying what he said he was.   Roll Eyes

Back up again..

Been down for hours and now suddenly it's back when someone says something.  OK, I'll chalk it up to coincidence.  But it isn't the first time.
Solarminer

Activity: 826
Merit: 502

View Profile
December 06, 2015, 06:33:11 AM

I kept thinking Evan was showing everyone the future.  It seemed that there was a line that if he said too much they wouldn't understand or believe it. 
It also looked like he had to be a lot more politically correct there.  Almost apologetic that he made another coin.  Undoubtedly, the atmosphere is still volatile toward dissidence with some people there. 

Maybe it's time to hold small Dash meetups now?  Not quite convention, but more like Bitcoin Wednesday?
This was a difficult presentation to do.   Be nice to Bitcoin, realize most of the people have English as a second language, and you have 30 minutes to share with 3 others - but don't go warp speed or act with an ego..... and running an hour+ late.  That's the real world.....

I think we would be better off if Dash can do more presentations at the next conference.  Split it into a few presentations with different speakers at different times talking about different aspects:   Dash specific(Evan), Distributed Governance + Autonomous Organizations(Dash Foundation), decentralized exchanges, and 2nd tier networks and security.  Have BolehVPN be the submitter of the talk for 2nd Tier Networks and security and work both angles on the talk.

They spent what an hour talking about a bitcoin charity.  That concept is easily understood in 2 minutes.   Frankly, it might be worth it to just buy the watch for 5 Bitcoins to end the auction early and talk about Dash for an extra 30 minutes.  Of course, that might not come across the right way.  We just need something of value to show to get time to talk.  Maybe how to setup a masternode, use a wallet, who knows.  It doesn't necessary need to be Dash specific.  But anything crypto will naturally showcase a Dash feature or two.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2015, 06:35:00 AM

Thursday: "Evolusham demo by Miami conf in Jan 2016"

Friday: "Evolusham demo in a year or two"

Saturday: "LOL I dunno, maybe 10 years?"

Evan's empty broken promises: worthless

Evan's Gate mothership having a sad: priceless

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
dashwhale

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2015, 06:39:08 AM

@ceti

Dashwhale is up again. I was asleep and monitoring did not wake me up.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
December 06, 2015, 07:18:42 AM

Thursday: "Evolusham demo by Miami conf in Jan 2016"

Friday: "Evolusham demo in a year or two"

Saturday: "LOL I dunno, maybe 10 years?"

Evan's empty broken promises: worthless

Evan's Gate mothership having a sad: priceless

10 years? Wow...

Why not just make it 25 years? And everyone involved in dash will be in retirement mode to collect their golden donkey?

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

TanteStefana2
Legendary

View Profile
December 06, 2015, 07:33:17 AM

Still private
Always instant

Maybe that's why it's there.  I may have misunderstood, and thought nothing was left behind, but was wrong.  Even so, the rest of the stuff is amazing.  He did say that you can access the same information on any device, and if a device is lost, the information isn't, so I don't know how that reconciles? 

Another proud lifetime Dash Foundation member Smiley My TanteStefana account was hacked, Beware trading
"You'll never reach your destination if you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks."
Solarminer

View Profile
December 06, 2015, 07:39:02 AM

Page 6
"Merchants can integrate Dash Evolution into their eCommerce store as easily as they do with
centralized services like PayPal or Google Wallet, whilst receiving a faster and cheaper service
that lets them transact directly with their customers without having use an intermediary payment
gateway or face increased cost and complexity to integrate and maintain their own fullnode
infrastructure."

Evan and the team just figured out how to replace Google Wallet, Paypal (along with Western Union, Dwolla, banks, and credit cards) while making it +100x faster than Bitcoin and cheaper than Bitcoin, PayPal, and Google Wallet.  Dash Evolution could replace the entire transactional economic system for the world.

^ This is big ^
TanteStefana2
Legendary

View Profile
December 06, 2015, 08:02:13 AM

I've been trying to get an answer to the question, why do you need to make friends and exchange addresses if you can also make anonymous payments with the "next address available" to someone else?  I don't understand the advantage?

I do understand the advantage of the networking, having friends, or just profiles you can pay to, as is done for Paypal using email addresses.  But why the storage of other people's payment addresses?  Does it speed things up?  Is it more secure?

And again, if you can open up your wallet on any device and it's always up to date no matter which device you last used, why does the paper say everything is stored on your device locally?

How would storing information on your device make it more secure?  I fear losing my device and thus my information (if it's like my phone, and I use it daily, I could easily lose my phone by leaving it somewhere, I'm absent minded)  So if nobody could access anything except the app, if they didn't know my passphrase, and had no memory of my information vs anyone else on the system, I'd feel safer.  But I'm definitely not a security person, I don't understand the advantages, so if someone could help, I'd sure appreciate it Smiley

Solarminer

View Profile
December 06, 2015, 08:10:49 AM

I've been trying to get an answer to the question, why do you need to make friends and exchange addresses if you can also make anonymous payments with the "next address available" to someone else?  I don't understand the advantage?

I do understand the advantage of the networking, having friends, or just profiles you can pay to, as is done for Paypal using email addresses.  But why the storage of other people's payment addresses?  Does it speed things up?  Is it more secure?

And again, if you can open up your wallet on any device and it's always up to date no matter which device you last used, why does the paper say everything is stored on your device locally?

Just taking a stab here...
I think it is either anonymous or not.
If you buy something to ship to you the merchant knows your name/address so it isn't anonymous.  So just use your dash account(maybe tied to email) to pay.  Looks like you can also send a message with the payment - cool feature if I am reading that right.
If you just want to send funds anonymously you send to a generic address.

I would think your private keys are stored on your device.  Like a standard wallet.  You just don't store the blockchain.  Blockchain is stored in masternodes.
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
December 06, 2015, 09:06:25 AM

It's a shame the ShadowCash merger came out, but I'm going to go ahead and call it off completely. If we got approval from the ShadowCash team, the plan was to bring this to the community. I was never intending to act unilaterally to merge the two coins.  However, it appears that a majority of the community is against this idea, so we'll find other ways to acquire talent. Thanks for your input everyone.  

why don't they just join DRK instead... not need another coin  Huh never heard of shadowcoin before

The proposal merges the two coins and they'll keep whatever stake they had, but in Darkcoin instead. It's the first "coin-merge" to ever happen in crypto.

This is beyond preposterous for two reasons:

a) You're going to dilute my DRK holdings to merge us with some shitcoin nobody has ever heard of?

b) You have the power to do so? Isn't crypto all about decentralization and math-based consensus to a (relatively) immutable basic protocol? I realize we are still in the development stages of DRK and consequently Evan has an unusual amount of power (e.g. enforcement), but this is a real reach. One person creating more coins in direct contravention of the basic protocol? If Evan can create more coins any time he wishes, how is he any different than the Federal Reserve?

c) This *WILL* fork DRK. Guaranteed. Look at the massive amount of opposition so far...I haven't counted but it looks about 2:1 against. Even if you reverse those numbers, you will have a significant number of DRK owners who *WILL* fork DRK into another coin. And then what do you have? The exact brain-drain you were hoping to avoid, plus market ambiguity, plus a massive loss of investor confidence.

P.S. Even with the reward structure of future blocks being altered to prevent inflation, the creation of a superblock by the DRK devs *after implementation* will rock our coin onto its heels. If one person (Evan) can create more DRK for a good reason, what's to prevent him from creating more DRK for a bad reason (at some point down the road)?

I have been one of DRK's biggest supporters, and everybody here knows this. But hearing that the dev team is even considering something like this makes me almost want to sell my coins. It's that bad of an idea.

Wow just wow so Evan was planning a merger of SDC and DASH?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1f7z840EcKjGNr7jZTwHL1u5HDTGNqHeeCszrR0Iy1J8/edit?pli=1

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .

dihydrogenmonoxide

Activity: 197
Merit: 101

View Profile
December 06, 2015, 09:30:50 AM

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1f7z840EcKjGNr7jZTwHL1u5HDTGNqHeeCszrR0Iy1J8/edit?pli=1

Yeah, we were at a early stage negotiating a merger to acquire more developer resources, but the proposal was leaked beforehand and both communities denied it.

We decided to call it off completely and solved the lack of resources differently.

One year later the team of Dash is larger than ever.

"The best way to convince a fool that he is wrong is to let him have his own way." - Josh Billings
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2015, 09:41:49 AM

DASH evolution released and DASH tanks.  People are finally seeing through all the smoke.  Evan again promises the world but technical details will follow in other white papers.

Another day, another suspicious broken promise and "whole lot of red flags"  for Dash.  Embarrassed

https://archive.is/20151206043730/https://dashtalk.org/threads/dash-to-speak-and-exhibit-at-the-3rd-latin-american-bitcoin-conference-mexico.6505/page-3%23post-75771

So much having a "very basic working" Evolusham prototype in Miami!

There better be one hell of a Duffsplanation for this latest event (surprise 14 month delay) in a long series of Dash pump and dumps!

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
bigrcanada

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2015, 09:49:11 AM

DASH team...we've won!!!! The trolls are now hanging on to slim threads of coherence and banging empty mugs!   Good work DASH.... the future looks bright indeed!!!!!

Proud lifetime DASH Foundation Member | First Brick & Mortar DASH Merchant |  Please visit DASH.org or DASHtalk.org for a list of merchants and information.
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
December 06, 2015, 09:49:44 AM

Yeah, we were at a early stage negotiating a merger to acquire more developer resources, but the proposal was leaked beforehand and both communities denied it.

We decided to call it off completely and solved the lack of resources differently.

One year later the team of Dash is larger than ever.

can you clarify what you meant by the bolded?

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

bigrcanada

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2015, 09:52:16 AM

What is now obvious is lets not feed these morons!  We are on ward and up ward and lets make sure as a community we don't get sucked into their vortex!!!!  Wink  the future is bright indeed.

Proud lifetime DASH Foundation Member | First Brick & Mortar DASH Merchant |  Please visit DASH.org or DASHtalk.org for a list of merchants and information.
toknormal
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

View Profile
December 06, 2015, 10:12:44 AM

Is there a (properly moderated) technical discussion forum where we can contribute opinions on the new roadmap stuff ?
Pages: « 1 ... 5445 5446 5447 5448 5449 5450 5451 5452 5453 5454 5455 5456 5457 5458 5459 5460 5461 5462 5463 5464 5465 5466 5467 5468 5469 5470 5471 5472 5473 5474 5475 5476 5477 5478 5479 5480 5481 5482 5483 5484 5485 5486 5487 5488 5489 5490 5491 5492 5493 5494 [5495] 5496 5497 5498 5499 5500 5501 5502 5503 5504 5505 5506 5507 5508 5509 5510 5511 5512 5513 5514 5515 5516 5517 5518 5519 5520 5521 5522 5523 5524 5525 5526 5527 5528 5529 5530 5531 5532 5533 5534 5535 5536 5537 5538 5539 5540 5541 5542 5543 5544 5545 ... 7012 »
  Print  

Jump to: