Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 09:32:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 2564 2565 2566 2567 2568 2569 2570 2571 2572 2573 2574 2575 2576 2577 2578 2579 2580 2581 2582 2583 2584 2585 2586 2587 2588 2589 2590 2591 2592 2593 2594 2595 2596 2597 2598 2599 2600 2601 2602 2603 2604 2605 2606 2607 2608 2609 2610 2611 2612 2613 [2614] 2615 2616 2617 2618 2619 2620 2621 2622 2623 2624 2625 2626 2627 2628 2629 2630 2631 2632 2633 2634 2635 2636 2637 2638 2639 2640 2641 2642 2643 2644 2645 2646 2647 2648 2649 2650 2651 2652 2653 2654 2655 2656 2657 2658 2659 2660 2661 2662 2663 2664 ... 7012 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][DASH] Dash (dash.org) | First Self-Funding Self-Governing Crypto Currency  (Read 9722594 times)
HiddenDark

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 05:09:39 AM

A question unrelated to my previous posts.

Darkcoin is forked from Bitcoin not Litecoin, correct?

Forked from litecoin, AFAIK.

Edit: Might be wrong on this as I did not see litecoin copyright thing on darkcoin wallet.

Good point, it does say it is copyright of the Bitcoin developers. I just did ctrl+f on the whitepaper and didn't find anything about where it was forked from, and can't find anything on the website.

Someone just asked which it was forked from and I want to be sure I give them the right answer.

[edit]: It also says it is "Copyright © 2012-2013 The Peercoin developers".

Beginner’s Guide to Darkcoin www.darkcoinguide.us
Ozziecoin

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2014, 05:14:58 AM

Edit: Might be wrong on this as I did not see litecoin copyright thing on darkcoin wallet.

Good point, it does say it is copyright of the Bitcoin developers. I just did ctrl+f on the whitepaper and didn't find anything about where it was forked from, and can't find anything on the website.

Someone just asked which it was forked from and I want to be sure I give them the right answer.

When we looked at github we noticed it was forked from litecoin: https://github.com/darkcoinproject/darkcoin

But strangely the wallet does not say litecoin copyright, which might be an oversight.

Edit: https://i.imgur.com/U5HLN2J.png

Non-technical coin. Use OZC to intro coins to everyday aussies: http://ozziecoin.com
camosoul

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

www.OroCoin.co

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2014, 05:24:26 AM

Hey Camo, I don't hate dark and probably saw this almost as early as you. In fact, I'm a big fan of dark.  However, the rollout and closed source thing is affecting current market pricing, which I know you don't care about.  ATM, the market prefers a fairly launched zero tech coin - litecoin - over a functioning anon coin, darkcoin. That came as a big surprise to me, as I thought the anon thing was key.  This forced me to evaluate why the market is behaving in this manner.  I realise Evan plans to open source the code and therefore I believe the market might stay away until that event occurs. I do hope I'm wrong in the meantime but that's the only way the current price of Drk makes any sense. An alternate solution could be to try and get new money into Drk via new exchanges in China or whatnot.
DRK exists today in a state that other coins are not yet publicly known.

Do you worry about the price of a coin you don't even know exists? You can't. You don't know it exists. It's as closed source as you can get.

The point is that DRK opened it's development process at a level that no other coin ever has. It would be utterly irresponsible to release code in a similar condition. So, it hasn't been.

When it's level of development reaches the point that it is responsible and prudent to do so, it will be opened. The fact that a window into the process has been given resulted in people falsely assuming that it is further along than it is. I've harped on this topic for months, but nobody listens...Stupid is as stupid does.

I want to be clear that I am not directing this rant AT you, but at the community of people who just plain refuse to see reality when it is inconvenient to their whiny douche attitude. Evan gave them a window into a process that no other coin has ever given people, and they've done nothing but give him ingratitude for it. There is no such thing as a coin that was open sourced at this point in it's development. But, nobody bitches about those... DRK is the one they complain about just because he let them see the process that it takes to get there... Dicks.

RC3/RC4 was a complete re-write of the whole damn thing. The project basically started over from scratch in April/May, and it's been exposed for every second since. Any other coin wouldn't even have an ANN thread at this point.

.OROCOIN.
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █
camosoul

www.OroCoin.co

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2014, 05:27:42 AM

When we looked at github we noticed it was forked from litecoin: https://github.com/darkcoinproject/darkcoin

But strangely the wallet does not say litecoin copyright, which might be an oversight.

I found LTC and BTC code in it in the beginning. Now all that remains of either is essentially an API that adapts old-school rpc calls to an infrastructure that does not in any way resemble the code that was once upon a time forked. It's so drastically changed that to call it a fork post RC3/RC4 is no longer accurate.

If you set your top to refresh @0.1sec, and you stared at it as you killed the daemon, you could see it say "litecoin shutting down" for a fraction of a second. Last I noticed that was the inception of MNs. I haven't looked since.

.OROCOIN.

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █
Ozziecoin

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2014, 05:34:37 AM

Hey Camo, I don't hate dark and probably saw this almost as early as you. In fact, I'm a big fan of dark.  However, the rollout and closed source thing is affecting current market pricing, which I know you don't care about.  ATM, the market prefers a fairly launched zero tech coin - litecoin - over a functioning anon coin, darkcoin. That came as a big surprise to me, as I thought the anon thing was key.  This forced me to evaluate why the market is behaving in this manner.  I realise Evan plans to open source the code and therefore I believe the market might stay away until that event occurs. I do hope I'm wrong in the meantime but that's the only way the current price of Drk makes any sense. An alternate solution could be to try and get new money into Drk via new exchanges in China or whatnot.
DRK exists today in a state that other coins are not yet publicly known.

Do you worry about the price of a coin you don't even know exists? You can't. You don't know it exists. It's as closed source as you can get.

The point is that DRK opened it's development process at a level that no other coin ever has. It would be utterly irresponsible to release code in a similar condition. So, it hasn't been.

When it's level of development reaches the point that it is responsible and prudent to do so, it will be opened. The fact that a window into the process has been given resulted in people falsely assuming that it is further along than it is. I've harped on this topic for months, but nobody listens...Stupid is as stupid does.

I want to be clear that I am not directing this rant AT you, but at the community of people who just plain refuse to see reality when it is inconvenient to their whiny douche attitude. Evan gave them a window into a process that no other coin has ever given people, and they've done nothing but give him ingratitude for it. There is no such thing as a coin that was open sourced at this point in it's development. But, nobody bitches about those... DRK is the one they complain about just because he let them see the process that it takes to get there... Dicks.

RC3/RC4 was a complete re-write of the whole damn thing. The project basically started over from scratch in April/May, and it's been exposed for every second since. Any other coin wouldn't even have an ANN thread at this point.

That's one way to look at it but the fact remains that Drk was publicly traded whilst it was xcoin. Then it converted to Drk and promotions were done to distribute drks (even a free giveaway was suggested at one point).  So, I don't think we can legitimately say that people have been allowed a window into the processes, which other coins would not have allowed. This was an actively promoted, open source coin. Part way through, certain things were promised and part of the code was then closed source. The market liked the anon tech but was repulsed by the closed source approach. You are of course right that the market traded ahead of itself. However, that is arguably inevitable given the promises made because we should be near open source at end of August (per original timetable) but that is likely to drag on longer now. I realise the pressure on the dev team is huge but I also think the market is taking a step back and saying: what is really available here, and pricing Drk accordingly. Perhaps, KA's code review will dispel some doubts but I think open sourcing will be key to any significant price increments.

Non-technical coin. Use OZC to intro coins to everyday aussies: http://ozziecoin.com
vpeer

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 05:39:35 AM

i have some darkcoins and i will hold them for sometime
Ozziecoin

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2014, 05:40:13 AM

On some positive news: https://coinport.com/ allows for Drk trading. Coinport claims to show proven reserves of coins that they hold for customers.

Edit: the exchange is done by programmers in Shanghai but owned by an American national out of the Cayman Islands. This is the reserves page: https://coinport.com/open#/reserve

novaboy2k

Activity: 294

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 05:43:42 AM

I found LTC and BTC code in it in the beginning. Now all that remains of either is essentially an API that adapts old-school rpc calls to an infrastructure that does not in any way resemble the code that was once upon a time forked. It's so drastically changed that to call it a fork post RC3/RC4 is no longer accurate.

If you set your top to refresh @0.1sec, and you stared at it as you killed the daemon, you could see it say "litecoin shutting down" for a fraction of a second. Last I noticed that was the inception of MNs. I haven't looked since.

Last i heard Evan said drk is a fork of bitcoin.

This will make merchant adoption easyer, as the merchants already have the inferstructure in place to adopt drk

Darkcoin, the only fungible crypto currency.
camosoul

www.OroCoin.co

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2014, 05:44:17 AM

So, I don't think we can legitimately say that people have been allowed a window into the processes, which other coins would not have allowed. This was an actively promoted, open source coin.
We? I'm saying it. And it is legitimate.
Part way through, certain things were promised and part of the code was then closed source. The market liked the anon tech but was repulsed by the closed source approach.
This is how the window into the process happened.
You are of course right that the market traded ahead of itself.
This is where you go astray again. Being traded before it's time was just a byproduct of the fact that it was visible before it's time. Being traded before it's time is just one of the symptoms of the matter.
However, that is arguably inevitable given the promises made because we should be near open source at end of August but that is likely to drag on longer now.
The promises made were determined to be inadequate. The project was essentially re-started at this point to deliver a hell of a lot more than what was promised.
I realise the pressure on the dev team is huge but I also think the market is taking a step back and saying: what is really available here, and pricing Drk accordingly. Perhaps, KA's code review will dispel some doubts but I think open sourcing will be key to any significant price increments.
I do not disagree with your assessment. I disagree with how you got there. I simply want "the market" to take a step back and realize what's actually going on, not merely the surface. DRK is a whole new thing than it was, and Evan basically re-wrote it from scratch, on the fly, with no intention to actually do so at the outset. What he's managed to pull off is fucking amazing given those circumstances, and the development of the past few months is unprecedented in public exposure. The inception and development of RC3/RC4 has been the equivalent of seeing a coin developed before it was even announced. That has not ever been seen before. The code isn't ready to be opened, but at least the process was. That's more than any other coin has ever done. No doubt, it happened by an accident of circumstances, but it happened and it seems so very inconvenient to acknowledge it...

.OROCOIN.

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █
Ozziecoin

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2014, 05:49:44 AM

FWIW, I agree with you.  I don't think we are that far apart.  Where we differ a little is reasons for the market reaction - you think the market is myopic whereas I think the market is objectively viewing what is on the table. I think we can also agree that until the code is open sourced, RC4 will be viewed with some scepticism.

Edit: We should not forget that Taaki is actively pursuing an open source solution to Btc anonymity, which he claims will be delivered for 40 Btcs and will include DACs. For many, that's good enough to stay put in Btc land.

novaboy2k

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 05:50:38 AM

So, I don't think we can legitimately say that people have been allowed a window into the processes, which other coins would not have allowed. This was an actively promoted, open source coin.
We? I'm saying it. And it is legitimate.
Part way through, certain things were promised and part of the code was then closed source. The market liked the anon tech but was repulsed by the closed source approach.
This is how the window into the process happened.
You are of course right that the market traded ahead of itself.
This is where you go astray again. Being traded before it's time was just a byproduct of the fact that it was visible before it's time. Being traded before it's time is just one of the symptoms of the matter.
However, that is arguably inevitable given the promises made because we should be near open source at end of August but that is likely to drag on longer now.
The promises made were determined to be inadequate. The project was essentially re-started at this point to deliver a hell of a lot more than what was promised.
I realise the pressure on the dev team is huge but I also think the market is taking a step back and saying: what is really available here, and pricing Drk accordingly. Perhaps, KA's code review will dispel some doubts but I think open sourcing will be key to any significant price increments.
I do not disagree with your assessment. I disagree with how you got there. I simply want "the market" to take a step back and realize what's actually going on, not merely the surface. DRK is a whole new thing than it was, and Evan basically re-wrote it from scratch, on the fly, with no intention to actually do so at the outset. What he's managed to pull off is fucking amazing given those circumstances, and the development of the past few months is unprecedented in public exposure. The inception and development of RC3/RC4 has been the equivalent of seeing a coin developed before it was even announced. That has not ever been seen before. The code isn't ready to be opened, but at least the process was. That's more than any other coin has ever done. No doubt, it happened by an accident of circumstances, but it happened and it seems so very inconvenient to acknowledge it...

People are sheep, they will jump on board when dark hits 0.016 and then read and learn how darksend works.

novaboy2k

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 05:57:23 AM

FWIW, I agree with you.  I don't think we are that far apart.  Where we differ a little is reasons for the market reaction - you think the market is myopic whereas I think the market is objectively viewing what is on the table. I think we can also agree that until the code is open sourced, RC4 will be viewed with some scepticism.

Edit: We should not forget that Taaki is actively pursuing an open source solution to Btc anonymity, which he claims will be delivered for 40 Btcs and will include DACs. For many, that's good enough to stay put in Btc land.

I personally think darkwallet is dead in the water. It uses the original coinjoin protocol, which has issues.

Evan has completely reinvented how coin join works and fixed the original issues it had.

I think Taaki will either adopt Darkcoin, or use Evans method of mixing when its open sorced!

Good news for both BTC and DRK

camosoul

www.OroCoin.co

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2014, 05:58:58 AM

I can sell you x-ray vision specs for 40BTCs... ;-)

There is no band-aid for what's wrong with BTC. Only smoke and mirrors for the BTC masses who don't even fully understand the problem, and are not able to sort out a solution. They're lost in the wet paper bag they'll never get out of, and plenty will fleece them for it.

I believe the market in general is far worse than myopic.

I also think we've reached a consensus on the use of the conversation. I see no need to pick nits about it.

.OROCOIN.

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █
HiddenDark

Activity: 196

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 06:07:52 AM

go to the debug console and type in "erasetransaction <txid>" I believe you only want to do that on transactions that haven't hit the block chain yet 0/6 confirmations yada yada
Only do this if it has been sitting there for several hours at least with no confirmations AND you check a block explorer and can't find it.

We could help if we knew the TXID, but you don't have to expose that info if you can handle it yourself.

I deleted the 2 that hadn't reached the network, but all that happened was 'unconfirmed' went to 0, while 'total balance', and 'anonymized' stayed the same.

Here's an image of the transactions (without any deleted):

https://i.imgur.com/8U5v4ng.jpg
I'd delete everything except the wallet.dat from the working directory, then re-download a new chain. Often the chainstate info keeps it from resetting. Essentially, it doesn't ask a question it believes itself to already have the answer to. We want it to ask "why is this happening" to the network. It thinks it already knows (double spend, toll owner with annoying message for trying to double spend), so it's not asking. It should be told to bite it's own ass, but it won't be told until it asks...

At least that's how it went for me... If that doesn't work, I'm out of ammo.

Ok, I'll give that a go.

I tried that, but I still have the same issue.

Beginner’s Guide to Darkcoin www.darkcoinguide.us
bit0x

Activity: 224

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 06:10:33 AM

Wow somebody buy 4k drks now is mintpal! +4 masternodes?

bigrcanada

Activity: 588

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2014, 06:22:41 AM

goodnight folks.  i leave tonight  feeling better about Dark then i have even in the pumped up days back in May.  To be honest those days worried me.   So many new investors... and so many had no clue what was being made here.  id talk to people and they were like cool... something and novel and people were pumping.

Today... the market here is matured... there is a far greater appreciation for what has truly been developed here. All the pumpers and noise is gone... and there is a sense of calm and tranquility.  We all now understand this will be a slow grind... and long journey.  Many in shear desperation have fled whales have dumped or will finish soon... what we now have is a core community that is resilient and confident on our path forward... good night all!  tomorrow is a new day!

Proud lifetime DASH Foundation Member | First Brick & Mortar DASH Merchant |  Please visit DASH.org or DASHtalk.org for a list of merchants and information.
Terzo

Activity: 238

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 06:30:27 AM

The dark star blew up !
happylyc83

Activity: 20

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 06:32:59 AM

There exist one exchange in China already and the volumn is lowest.
DRK is consider as premine coin in China so there is long way to go when open new exchange and get money into drk.

China big exchange mainly focus on BTC&LTC.
novaboy2k

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 06:33:42 AM

The dark star blew up !

Nah its still here...

JDrock

Activity: 6

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 06:36:47 AM

WTF 10k Wall  Huh
Pages: « 1 ... 2564 2565 2566 2567 2568 2569 2570 2571 2572 2573 2574 2575 2576 2577 2578 2579 2580 2581 2582 2583 2584 2585 2586 2587 2588 2589 2590 2591 2592 2593 2594 2595 2596 2597 2598 2599 2600 2601 2602 2603 2604 2605 2606 2607 2608 2609 2610 2611 2612 2613 [2614] 2615 2616 2617 2618 2619 2620 2621 2622 2623 2624 2625 2626 2627 2628 2629 2630 2631 2632 2633 2634 2635 2636 2637 2638 2639 2640 2641 2642 2643 2644 2645 2646 2647 2648 2649 2650 2651 2652 2653 2654 2655 2656 2657 2658 2659 2660 2661 2662 2663 2664 ... 7012 »
  Print  

Jump to: