Bitcoin Forum
June 29, 2024, 05:20:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 [241] 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 ... 484 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [NEM] NEM -New Economy Movement - No Envy Movement - Updates+Discussion thread  (Read 661424 times)
TauMuon

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

NEM Enthusiast

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 03:48:22 PM

I can't wait for this coin to hits exchange.....

Grin

If ex. ratio will be 1NEM = 0,000015 BTC;
means that each of us will have 10.000$ in Nem !!!!
(marketcap of NEM = 30.000.000 $)

but i think this ratio, marketcap is low

what is your opinion?

It's impossible to accurately speculate, but I think NEM could easily reach that kind of market capitalization, fairly quickly.

NEM - New Economy Movement - http://blog.nem.io/overview/ | www.reddit.com/r/nem | https://www.facebook.com/ourNEM | https://twitter.com/nemcoin
Built from the Ground up with 100% Original Code | A Second-Generation Crypto, Radically Improved over Bitcoin | Philosophy of Solidarity and Egalitarianism
patmast3r

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 03:49:02 PM

I've never really looked into Ripple, but from what I know about it, it's the complete opposite of Nem in terms of distribution. But if we had it's market cap, then one million Nems would be worth $211,767.48.

I mean, I was just checking out the current marketcap to compare things, hoping that a Nem stake would be worth at least $5,000 and be happy with that. But then I looked at Ripple and thought it's a really long shot, but why not? Anything is possible.

Perhaps NXT didn't reach similar market cap because of the fear of those who were not original stake holders, but Nem doesn't have that problem.

Different times though, so I don't know.

As far as a tech and app goes, Ripple is very slick. Much better than any alt coin. At the same time it's not truly descentralized which is a HUGE no go in the community. It also takes a step backwards to many because it requires trust.  In some ways, it is a "realistic" compromise. The type of thing governments or big banks might like, and that is part of the reason it's so hated. Right now banks and governments are angainst the blockchain, and the crypto community is against centralization and trust. That puts Ripple in a no mans land. It's great tech but nobody wants to support it. It's a very long shot.

NEM will have a great community. And has a chance to be just as good as anything else at there! In some ways NEM is the most exciting thing on the horizon. Definitely in the next few months.

Ripple has been misspercieved and bashed. So much FUD has been spread that hardly anyone knows what's true anymore. It's also a more complex system which requires people to do some more research and most people just don't do that and simply decide to hate it instead.
I looked into Ripple a few months ago and here's how i understood it (may not be correct 100%):

Ripple is afaik decentralized it just isn't currently used that way by the majority of people. Currently it's more like distributed. The ripple client is a thin client that's why it relies on servers and that's why people say it's not decentralized but the truth is anyone can run a ripple server. The only difference between Ripple and any alt is that most alt-clients contain server and client. NEM will also support thin clients does that make it centralized ? I hardly think so. The consensus in the Ripple-Network is reached by validators I'm not sure how that works but I don't think it's relevant for this point.

Trust is something that could be an issue but if you look at the big picture it's not much different than with bitcoin or any alt it just deals with it in a different way.
If you buy bitcoins from an exchange you trust that exchange don't you ? Would you deposit money on an exchange that you don't trust ? If you wan't to trade on what's called a gateway in Ripple you need to trust that gateway in the ripple client. What most people are worried about is "rippling" which is a way more complex topic and people should read up on that themselves but I want to menion that you can disable rippling. You can also remove the trust again at any time.

Ripple is way cooler and more sophisticated than it's being given credit for. It could actually do a lot for the entire cryptoscene since it supports any form of currency but the crypto scene is to busy bashing it.

gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 03:50:37 PM

Looks great. I support NEM. But watch out for competition Exo, Numus, Edge etc. all new kids. The way I see it, tech aside, each community would need a core group of supporters. Take care of them and pay no attention to detractors. I will be back. XXX 
This watch out for Numus. That coin looks to be a game-changer.

I don't get how it's a game changer, compared to lets say Nem, or NXT.

It's not new code, it's based on Peercoin, and the gimmick is that it's going to be marketed, and they have a neat looking presentation.

To me that looks more promising than your daily alt coin, but at the same time, it's more of the same, just with a nicer, more professional looking presentation.

Like I looked at the video and it starts by saying, "We have an idea," and the proceed to talk about how they came up with a coin that can be used in a decentralized way. And it frustrates me when a new coin says that, because they're describing all other coins, yet saying it like they just came out with that new a revolutionary idea.
Well I agree with you there about the video, but I guess that was only intended for marketing purposes. What I really like about this coin is their professional and practical approach to gain widespread adoption of their coin. The key for them and most coins nowadays is marketing. Face it, no real coin besides primarily Dogecoin and Bitcoin has really gained public adoption of some sort. The first coin which secures a foothold outside of the crypto community will be most likely to succeed in the long-term. This is what I think NEM and Numus should work towards.

Yup. That's what often slips many minds here. Everyone is inside the crypto matrix.

A coin that steps outside that and presents itself as user friendly and informative will kick the pants off any amount of technical cleverness.
TauMuon

NEM Enthusiast

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 03:51:54 PM

Guys,

As NEM is being build from the ground up, would this be a problem for exchanges to add NEM?
NXT only had dgex.com for the first 2 months and they had A LOT of problems in the beginning.

Like Instacash said, it's slightly more time-consuming for exchanges to add support for 2nd-generation cryptocurrencies. The reason for this is how different they are to the Bitcoin and Litecoin derivatives that saturate the cryptocurrency scene at the moment.

It's nothing to worry about though, with massive exchanges like BTER and Cryptsy adding NXT trading, NEM surely won't be far behind.

NEM - New Economy Movement - http://blog.nem.io/overview/ | www.reddit.com/r/nem | https://www.facebook.com/ourNEM | https://twitter.com/nemcoin
Built from the Ground up with 100% Original Code | A Second-Generation Crypto, Radically Improved over Bitcoin | Philosophy of Solidarity and Egalitarianism
TauMuon

NEM Enthusiast

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 03:59:13 PM

Call me picky, but I'm not sure I like the forum redesign... What does everyone else think?

mlwlxz

Activity: 161

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 03:59:41 PM

I can't wait for this coin to hits exchange.....

Grin

If ex. ratio will be 1NEM = 0,000015 BTC;
means that each of us will have 10.000$ in Nem !!!!
(marketcap of NEM = 30.000.000 $)

but i think this ratio, marketcap is low

what is your opinion?

It's impossible to accurately speculate, but I think NEM could easily reach that kind of market capitalization, fairly quickly.

+1, Bitcoin could be beat...
j23a

Activity: 210

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 04:02:24 PM

I've never really looked into Ripple, but from what I know about it, it's the complete opposite of Nem in terms of distribution. But if we had it's market cap, then one million Nems would be worth $211,767.48.

I mean, I was just checking out the current marketcap to compare things, hoping that a Nem stake would be worth at least $5,000 and be happy with that. But then I looked at Ripple and thought it's a really long shot, but why not? Anything is possible.

Perhaps NXT didn't reach similar market cap because of the fear of those who were not original stake holders, but Nem doesn't have that problem.

As far as a tech and app goes, Ripple is very slick. Much better than any alt coin. At the same time it's not truly descentralized which is a HUGE no go in the community. It also takes a step backwards to many because it requires trust.  In some ways, it is a "realistic" compromise. The type of thing governments or big banks might like, and that is part of the reason it's so hated. Right now banks and governments are angainst the blockchain, and the crypto community is against centralization and trust. That puts Ripple in a no mans land. It's great tech but nobody wants to support it. It's a very long shot.

NEM will have a great community. And has a chance to be just as good as anything else at there! In some ways NEM is the most exciting thing on the horizon. Definitely in the next few months.

Ripple has been misspercieved and bashed. So much FUD has been spread that hardly anyone knows what's true anymore. It's also a more complex system which requires people to do some more research and most people just don't do that and simply decide to hate it instead.
I looked into Ripple a few months ago and here's how i understood it (may not be correct 100%):

Ripple is afaik decentralized it just isn't currently used that way by the majority of people. Currently it's more like distributed. The ripple client is a thin client that's why it relies on servers and that's why people say it's not decentralized but the truth is anyone can run a ripple server. The only difference between Ripple and any alt is that most alt-clients contain server and client. NEM will also support thin clients does that make it centralized ? I hardly think so. The consensus in the Ripple-Network is reached by validators I'm not sure how that works but I don't think it's relevant for this point.

Trust is something that could be an issue but if you look at the big picture it's not much different than with bitcoin or any alt it just deals with it in a different way.
If you buy bitcoins from an exchange you trust that exchange don't you ? Would you deposit money on an exchange that you don't trust ? If you wan't to trade on what's called a gateway in Ripple you need to trust that gateway in the ripple client. What most people are worried about is "rippling" which is a way more complex topic and people should read up on that themselves but I want to menion that you can disable rippling. You can also remove the trust again at any time.

Ripple is way cooler and more sophisticated than it's being given credit for. It could actually do a lot for the entire cryptoscene since it supports any form of currency but the crypto scene is to busy bashing it.

I've been meaning to look into Ripple, just haven't gotten that mental motivation to do so.

It does sound interesting to me, from a technological standpoint. But who exactly owns most of the coins? How does those coin get distributed to others?

TBTSX4-NKRX55-HF2ECG-SHPBG3-XIDD2Y-QDRI3N-P2O6
erkki12

Activity: 165
Merit: 104

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 04:11:15 PM

If you haven't yet written a post about NEM in the below thread it is time to do it now!

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=487409.0
patmast3r

Activity: 980

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 04:12:27 PM

I've been meaning to look into Ripple, just haven't gotten that mental motivation to do so.

It does sound interesting to me, from a technological standpoint. But who exactly owns most of the coins? How does those coin get distributed to others?

Ripple Labs  owns most of the coins and distributes it through giveaways and alike. The thing to note though is that RL is an actuall company with like 50 employes and the coins they own are pretty much their capital so if the coins never gain value they're fucked Smiley

WayToGo

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 04:17:06 PM

Ripples are given away through https://www.computingforgood.org/
and some random giveaways in ripple forums.
pabloangello
Legendary

Activity: 1344

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 04:27:47 PM

Would be awesome if this coin would have USD/EUR for NEM market from very begining.

trunzo

Activity: 106
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 04:37:26 PM

Would be awesome if this coin would have USD/EUR for NEM market from very begining.

+1 that would be making up the difference
TauMuon

NEM Enthusiast

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 04:43:02 PM

I wrote a NEM F.A.Q post on the subreddit if anyone is interested; is there anything I should add/change?

TauMuon

NEM Enthusiast

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 04:49:03 PM

There has been interest shown from exchanges already, so this should happen fairly soon. If not at launch, then within a month or two after launch at most.

NEM/GBP would be amazing for me and any fellow Brits who happen to be involved in NEM.

pabloangello
Legendary

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 04:50:41 PM

There has been interest shown from exchanges already, so this should happen fairly soon. If not at launch, then within a month or two after launch at most.

NEM/GBP would be amazing for me and any fellow Brits who happen to be involved in NEM.

USD EUR and GBP would cover almost whole Europe and US, that would be nice Cheesy

TauMuon

NEM Enthusiast

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 04:51:43 PM

If you haven't yet written a post about NEM in the below thread it is time to do it now!

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=487409.0

The only thing I want to say if you do this, is to spend the time to write a detailed paragraph about why you think NEM will be the best investment in 2014. If not, it'll just be dismissed as another awful clone which you're only plugging because you own some. It'll be nice if the NEM community could have a reputation of being full of collected, intelligent and well-reasoned people, rather than sheep.

pabloangello
Legendary

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 04:58:54 PM

Guys have you seen this? https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9jSTPeGZxgtakNnY0NwRjdsZDg&usp=sharing&tid=0B9jSTPeGZxgtTjVncFlmMmJ6LW8

TauMuon

NEM Enthusiast

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 05:06:27 PM

Who HASN'T seen that! It's beautiful isn't it?

pabloangello
Legendary

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 05:09:08 PM

Yes looks powerful, nice UI/UX.

j23a

Activity: 210

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 05:12:54 PM

I wrote a NEM F.A.Q post on the subreddit if anyone is interested; is there anything I should add/change?

What do you think about a wallet like NXT, where you don't have to have a local file on your computer, but rather a user name and password.

From my experience it just makes life MUCH easier.

For example, I have three computers, and I can access my NXT account with ease just by simply logging on from which ever computer I'm using. If I have a sudden hard drive crash, it won't affect my NXT coins. I would love to be able to access my 1st gen coins from any of my computers, but the need of a local wallet just ruins that ability.

I need to reinstall my OS on my main computer. It's something that I would have done a while ago, but I haven't due to fear of losing my coins.

I've tried backing up the wallet, and trying to open it up on another computer. I've only tried two different times, but can't seem to get it to work. But again, it just seems like the NXT way is a lot more hassle free.

(The main thing that's slowing me down from wanting to even transfer my coins to another computer is the blockchains and the amount of memory that they eat up.)

TBTSX4-NKRX55-HF2ECG-SHPBG3-XIDD2Y-QDRI3N-P2O6
Pages: « 1 ... 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 [241] 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 ... 484 »
  Print  

Jump to: