Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 12:46:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 [70] 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 ... 294 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [POOL][Scrypt][Scrypt-N][X11] Profit switching pool - wafflepool.com  (Read 465522 times)
phzi

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 08:36:23 PM

been mining for about the last 19 hours... worker address 13f6VAKbtd83T9V269iTJ5S6iUePxYUAbL_single...  coin values on miner lookup show 0.00000000 but the hash rate is going to town at around about 890khs.  Something appears not quite right.

That does look extremely weird... maybe try without the worker name?

PoolWaffle: probably need to look at this.
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
poolwaffle (OP)

Activity: 322
Merit: 254

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 08:41:21 PM

been mining for about the last 19 hours... worker address 13f6VAKbtd83T9V269iTJ5S6iUePxYUAbL_single...  coin values on miner lookup show 0.00000000 but the hash rate is going to town at around about 890khs.  Something appears not quite right.
That does look extremely weird... maybe try without the worker name?

PoolWaffle: probably need to look at this.
Yep, looking into it right now.  Does seem to be working incorrectly.  Only thing I can see is that the bitcoin address was never used on its own (only with the worker name).  Can you try what phzi suggested, and just mine on the bitcoin address directly?  I'll see what I can see from here, but thats the only thing that stands out immediately.
rrodent

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 08:44:51 PM

yeah i'll pull the "_single" off the address when I get home from work to see if it straightens up...  thought I followed the directions for defining different worker threads but ended up finding a bug Tongue

I'd like to thank eduffield and the other developers for this critically important evolution in virtual currency. DarkCoin is what bitcoin should have been. Some might call it "Bitcoin 2.0" but would do better by saying: "DarkCoin is digital cash." - Child Harold - February 28, 2014
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=421615.msg5424980#msg5424980
Uniphase21

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 08:46:09 PM

Waffle,

This was posted earlier and I never saw a reply. All of the wining on here etc is really noise, people complaining about this and that but this is what I think we should all be concerned about.

I know the little money you are making monthly doesn't add up to the headache you receive on here. At the end of the day the people that are complaining the most are only paying you 30 dollars per month and try to hold you accountable as if they were paying you 5000. We who get it want to thank you very much because I don't want to manually mine alt coins.

Is there any way to protect us from the impact the whales have on the pool?

Again this was posted by another person but I never saw you respond. I would greatly appreciate a response to this if possible:

I have to say, I lol'ed reading that because it is true.  I mined on MiddleCoin for a long time, the hash rate spiked in early January and H20 went nuts making changes to accommodate and eventually the entire pool suffered and became unprofitable.  I split my workers between MiddleCoin and WafflePool and WafflePool won so I switched everything over and was the highest MH/s *38MH/s* until the whale showed up.  Since then it is eerily similar to the pre-collapse of MiddleCoin.

Lets me see if I can summarize:

1) WafflePool had vardiff, mined lower difficulty coins, and was profitable in comparison.

2) The whale (and collapse of MiddleCoin) caused the network and server load to spike.

3) The difficulty was locked to 512 (same as MC which eventually raised it to 1024).

4) Lower difficulty coins have been removed (same as MC).  MC eventually just settled on LTC and DOGE and ended up not being a "mining the profitable coin" pool because the size of the pool couldn't support that model.

5) Aholes from MC thread have come to this thread and will probably eventually drive WP insane and he'll lurk in to the shadows like H20 did.

I've never complained - not about MC or WP but I do think we can learn from history here and see the writing on the wall.  I prefer the openness and effort of WP 100000x more than H20/MC so I'm going to stick it out but I think its clear there has to be a shift in direction.

A large pool is a sledgehammer on small coins and generates a massive number of orphans but much of the profit can be had in the small coins.  I think the opportunity here is in bringing back the small coins because all large pools will eventually come to the conclusion the orphans are too high and lock them out.  If you could round-robin rotate the workers to the small coins in comparison to the coins total MH/s(GH/s) then we could mine them where other pools cannot.  

I don't care if my workers hit the small coin everytime its profitable everytime so long as they get the chance.  I'd rather hit 40% of the opportunity than 0%.

I know the whale brings you a lot of money so I'm not advocating blocking him out but that whale is going to find that DOGE and the larger difficulty coins are all they'll ever end up making profits from because every pool they go to will have the same challenges.  A round-robin worker coin assignment would work for them too though - you could drop in 200-300MH/s of their 6GH/s in to the smaller coins just like the rest of us.

WP: Is something like this doable and if not how do you think you can overcome the challenges of pool size vs coin size (profitability)?
poolwaffle (OP)

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 08:53:15 PM

yeah i'll pull the "_single" off the address when I get home from work to see if it straightens up...  thought I followed the directions for defining different worker threads but ended up finding a bug Tongue

Something odd i'm seeing, might be a utf8 issue or something similar (or maybe I'm just not looking close enough).  If I copy/paste your text into blockchain.info, the address comes up fine.  If I copy/paste it from our database, blockchain says they can't find it:
What you posted: 13f6VAKbtd83T9V269iTJ5S6iUePxYUAbL
What I have: 13f6VAKbtd83T9V269iTJ5S6iUePxYUAbl

And as I paste it, its the last letter "L" vs "l" <-- lower case L.  You're mining with a lower case L, and looking it up with the correct upper case L.  And the way we're doing lookups for addresses (with arbitrary worker names) is case-insensitive!
phzi

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 08:56:26 PM

Uniphase21: what whale?  I don't see anybody standing out with huge hashing power right now, and wafflepool is over 16GH...

PoolWaffle has also said he plans to re-introduce lower difficulty coins (I believe this is still planned), but it's several days off as it requires a significant re-work of the profitability switching system.
rrodent

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 09:09:20 PM

Something odd i'm seeing, might be a utf8 issue or something similar (or maybe I'm just not looking close enough).  If I copy/paste your text into blockchain.info, the address comes up fine.  If I copy/paste it from our database, blockchain says they can't find it:

And as I paste it, its the last letter "L" vs "l" <-- lower case L.  You're mining with a lower case L, and looking it up with the correct upper case L.  And the way we're doing lookups for addresses (with arbitrary worker names) is case-insensitive!

Dang... I saw that problem once before somewhere and I triple checked the address as I typed it in...  guess I'm a moron... thanks for looking into it Tongue

I'd like to thank eduffield and the other developers for this critically important evolution in virtual currency. DarkCoin is what bitcoin should have been. Some might call it "Bitcoin 2.0" but would do better by saying: "DarkCoin is digital cash." - Child Harold - February 28, 2014
DrunkenDonkey

Activity: 49

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 09:49:13 PM

Uniphase21: what whale?  I don't see anybody standing out with huge hashing power right now, and wafflepool is over 16GH...

The sorting is off in the stats, it might be there, but I'm totally not digging through all of it to find. But we have not seen 7 or so GH/s drop in the hashrate, so the whale must be somewhere inside.
poolwaffle (OP)

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 09:50:43 PM

Big post, but I'll try to cover everything, because I think you bring up great questions.

I know the little money you are making monthly doesn't add up to the headache you receive on here. At the end of the day the people that are complaining the most are only paying you 30 dollars per month and try to hold you accountable as if they were paying you 5000. We who get it want to thank you very much because I don't want to manually mine alt coins.

The entitled attitude is always annoying, but I've been on the internet long enough to take it with a grain of salt Smiley  The bonus income is great, but you're right, its not nearly enough to do this full time, or hire someone to babysit it 24/7.  At MC's 3% or so, its significantly closer, at 1% (minus like half for fees at exchanges), its just not quite there.

Is there any way to protect us from the impact the whales have on the pool?
I'm doing my best to not treat him/(them?) any differently.  I've had communication with him over the past few days, and any time he sees something that looks odd (server might be down, etc) he's let me know, but the majority of my decisions have not been based on what whales would prefer, but would be best for the pool overall.

Again this was posted by another person but I never saw you respond. I would greatly appreciate a response to this if possible:

I have to say, I lol'ed reading that because it is true.  I mined on MiddleCoin for a long time, the hash rate spiked in early January and H20 went nuts making changes to accommodate and eventually the entire pool suffered and became unprofitable.  I split my workers between MiddleCoin and WafflePool and WafflePool won so I switched everything over and was the highest MH/s *38MH/s* until the whale showed up.  Since then it is eerily similar to the pre-collapse of MiddleCoin.

Lets me see if I can summarize:

1) WafflePool had vardiff, mined lower difficulty coins, and was profitable in comparison.

Separating the three of them:
Vardiff is awesome, it really is.  We get good estimates of hashrates, miners always see shares submitted, etc.  The down side of it, is a massive amount of overhead on the server side.  We need to track all of the miners, their recently submitted shares, and their difficulties separately (memory).  And then every 15-30 seconds or so, we need to calculate some averages (cpu time), push them to the clients (bandwidth), and then constantly check to make sure they're obeying them.  The change from vardiff --> 512 was more of a necessity at the time.  Tons more hashrate came on (and actually, this is _way_ more influenced by a large number of small miners, than by 1 big one - as we track it on a per connection level, high-hashrate single connection is tons lighter than 500 small guys), and our load spiked, bandwidth spiked (which caused orphaned blocks increase), and the simplest answer at the time was to hard-lock difficulty.  After doing it, we noticed our server requirements are about 1/4, our orphan rate dropped significantly (2-3%), and overall there wasn't a _ton_ of backlash (some is to be expected, and I had to explain variance repeatedly).

Mining lower difficulty coins:
This is a major thing, and something that I've almost got implemented (and have tested a few times to no avail).  So the issue we're running into with smaller coins, and a larger hashrate is essentially a fundamental limit of networking.  The main issue we've faced (and I _assume_ what MC and others have faced) is what I've called (to myself) "internal orphans".  These are times that we find a block on one of our clusters (say USWest for example), and find a 2nd block on a separate cluster (EU) quicker than we could get the data from USW --> EU.  Essentially EU doesn't know there is a new block yet, and has continued working, and found its own.  We now have 2 competing blocks for the same height, and one of them is guaranteed to become orphaned.  This all happens in roughly 500ms.  From what I've seen, we have about 200ms delay from cluster to cluster, a 30-50ms delay in our processing (daemons, blocknotify, etc), 200ms latency to miners, and an additional some latency for work to start on those miners (50ms).

This becomes more of an issue with lower difficulty coins.  For something like dogecoin, where even if we put our full hashrate on it, we have an average block time of around 4.5 minutes, half a second on that means a fraction of a percent of chance of internal orphans.  However, for something smaller, say leafcoin (difficulty 13 at time of this post), we have an average block time of 3.5 seconds.  Half a second of latency means roughly 15-20% of our blocks have an internal orphan.  The correct long term solution (planned), is to divide up hashrate depending on profitability (if a coin is 50% more profitable, a 20% orphan rate is fine), and based on server geography.  The short term (implemented) solution is to penalize the larger small coins (10-20 difficulty), and to disable the very small coins (under 10 difficulty).

Profitability:
See above for the most part Smiley

2) The whale (and collapse of MiddleCoin) caused the network and server load to spike.
As mentioned above, at least on the vardiff side (which was 90% of it), it was smaller miners jumping on, rather than 1 big miner.

3) The difficulty was locked to 512 (same as MC which eventually raised it to 1024).
See above again Smiley  I think its the right answer (at least from my side).  Server load, bandwidth, etc all make sense to me.  The only downside I can see is smaller miners and a misinterpretation of variance, which definitely has its place, but at this point, there are bigger issues for me to deal with.

4) Lower difficulty coins have been removed (same as MC).  MC eventually just settled on LTC and DOGE and ended up not being a "mining the profitable coin" pool because the size of the pool couldn't support that model.
See above again Smiley  We've got a short term solution in place that prevents us from losing 20-30% of our hashrate in orphans.  And we have a long-term plan, once we can finish the algorithms and get some testing done.

5) Aholes from MC thread have come to this thread and will probably eventually drive WP insane and he'll lurk in to the shadows like H20 did.
Yep, its like a welcome party to the internet.

I've never complained - not about MC or WP but I do think we can learn from history here and see the writing on the wall.  I prefer the openness and effort of WP 100000x more than H20/MC so I'm going to stick it out but I think its clear there has to be a shift in direction.
I appreciate your time asking these questions!  As I know you know, this came up quickly, and a lot of it came down to "fix it now" or die quickly and watch everyone sprint for the next pool.  I made some decisions that I think are the right ones at least in the short term (disabling coins, 512 difficulty), but for most of the ones that I had more than a few hours to get a solution in place, I've tried my best to post here the why's and why nots for different options.  Or at least post why I've picked a given option.

A large pool is a sledgehammer on small coins and generates a massive number of orphans but much of the profit can be had in the small coins.  I think the opportunity here is in bringing back the small coins because all large pools will eventually come to the conclusion the orphans are too high and lock them out.  If you could round-robin rotate the workers to the small coins in comparison to the coins total MH/s(GH/s) then we could mine them where other pools cannot.
I've got something better up my sleeve.  I'd prefer not to say the exact plan, as I think its probably better than what other pools are doing on this front, and while I don't think its a huge advantage, it could be 5% or so, and I'd rather keep that Smiley

I don't care if my workers hit the small coin everytime its profitable everytime so long as they get the chance.  I'd rather hit 40% of the opportunity than 0%.

I know the whale brings you a lot of money so I'm not advocating blocking him out but that whale is going to find that DOGE and the larger difficulty coins are all they'll ever end up making profits from because every pool they go to will have the same challenges.  A round-robin worker coin assignment would work for them too though - you could drop in 200-300MH/s of their 6GH/s in to the smaller coins just like the rest of us.

WP: Is something like this doable and if not how do you think you can overcome the challenges of pool size vs coin size (profitability)?
Yep!  I've got a good plan here (at least I think so - I've been wrong before), but it will take some time to implement.

Essentially since launch, my days have gone like this: Wake up, realize something is broken (or close to broken), spend 12 hours fixing it, eat dinner while watching charts/logs and think to myself "wow, tonight might be the first night everything works fine overnight, I fixed all the problems, and everything looks good".  Get close to bed time, realize something is broken again, coffee, fix fix fix, pass out.  Wake up to 30 angry posts as to why things were broken in the middle of the night and I wasn't actively replying (was fixing them).  Repeat.  And its literally been that, for about 10 days straight now Smiley

I've got some stuff that I'd love to get added (above, as well as simple things like per-worker stats - that we should have had weeks ago), but things just keep popping up, and I get an hour a day that I can either reply to people here, or work on the new bits of code.

Its slow going, but I think overall we're doing well (hopefully the fact that we're a large pool now attests to that), and we have a ton of room for growth.  This went from a "hey, I could build one of those", to a 16hr/day job in under a week, so theres going to be growing pains Smiley
igroock

Activity: 84

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 10:05:57 PM

Waffle thanks for everything you are doing. I would suggest to simply ignore the trolls and focus on answering the right questions, like you just did.

I would also recommend a donations tab Wink
Benit

Activity: 1

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 10:09:16 PM

Poolwaffle I think something is broken. The last hour the pool didn't find any block

Recent Shifts
ID    Ended    Shares (yours / total)    Blocks Found
7937    OPEN    16384 / 60645879    0
7936    2014-02-24 22:04:11    16384 / 100253686    0
7935    2014-02-24 21:57:16    24576 / 100059130    0
7934    2014-02-24 21:50:21    28160 / 100498933    0
7933    2014-02-24 21:43:26    27648 / 100492274    0
7932    2014-02-24 21:36:31    24064 / 101331964    0
7931    2014-02-24 21:29:31    22016 / 101202416    0
7930    2014-02-24 21:22:31    19968 / 101186014    0
7929    2014-02-24 21:15:31    18432 / 100043258    0
7928    2014-02-24 21:08:41    23552 / 100836344    0
Sinyk7

Activity: 71

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 10:11:31 PM

I was going to ask the same question!

VTC: Vq8qKPFiGoGJZh6kEuCpEcWDS5Y9cqT4Pb
DOGE: DPgdMAk1wWRw49JBrdX9sxRUbixs4F4d6b
LTC: LayUZZ2VukQGBoSaxwqE4wWXH6htkagYw9
poolwaffle (OP)

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 10:15:04 PM

I had our block processor disabled for a bit here while debugging something with mintcoin blocks not being accepted in some cases (still not sure why).  Just running it again now Smiley

Nothing is lost, and all the blocks found are processed based on when they were found (and the shifts from that time, etc).  Should see stats change back to normal in a few minutes here Smiley
Sinyk7

Activity: 71

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 10:17:45 PM

Mintcoin....  Angry

VTC: Vq8qKPFiGoGJZh6kEuCpEcWDS5Y9cqT4Pb
DOGE: DPgdMAk1wWRw49JBrdX9sxRUbixs4F4d6b
LTC: LayUZZ2VukQGBoSaxwqE4wWXH6htkagYw9
Prima Primat

Activity: 117

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 10:24:25 PM

Dang... I saw that problem once before somewhere and I triple checked the address as I typed it in...  guess I'm a moron... thanks for looking into it Tongue

jro238

Activity: 29

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 10:30:49 PM

Copy/paste is your friend. Cheesy
phzi

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 10:31:30 PM

The sorting is off in the stats, it might be there, but I'm totally not digging through all of it to find. But we have not seen 7 or so GH/s drop in the hashrate, so the whale must be somewhere inside.

You're right...
http://wafflepool.com/miner/14t8yB3PDGfZT3VppxMY4J9xiBaXUcZvKp

He's still hashing, and at about 8GH/s now (half the pool)...

@PoolWaffle: is there a reason you have chosen to hide sfire from the miners page?

I'm doing my best to not treat him/(them?) any differently.

Yet, 7a8678b8 definitely isn't showing on the miners page anymore...

Overall, I couldn't care less about this whale - big hashing power like this causes way less server load then tons of little miners.  And I suppose I understand why you might hide him from the miner's page (to stop questions), but it still smells off when you seem to have been very upfront about the pool's operations until now.
DrunkenDonkey

Activity: 49

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 10:58:13 PM

Mining lower difficulty coins:

PW, up to 1.5% really Smiley
On the topic - for small coins you just don't need 10 servers to mine. Can you just have a single cluster/server focus as much power as it is needed on small coins, you distribute the profits evenly, so it does not matter which one is it as long as it is a single one and this way you don't create internal competition?
rrodent

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 11:26:20 PM

Copy/paste is your friend. Cheesy

Absolutely lol... attempted to do it via RDP into my Linux box... crashed the usb stick and spent two hours rebuilding it and making sure I had a good backup image this time...  then cheesed out and manually typed it in so I didn't repeat the mistake...  jokes on me Tongue  fixed the address now and waiting to see if the coin counter starts going up now.

igroock

Activity: 84

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 11:28:33 PM

whats killing our numbers today? high hash or what. the larger the pool grows the lower our numbers get.
Pages: « 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 [70] 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 ... 294 »
  Print  

Jump to: