Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 06:30:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 [669] 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 ... 1035 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] [MINT] Mintcoin (POS / 5%) [NO ICO] [Fair distro, community maintained]  (Read 1369737 times)
chickenliver503

Activity: 204
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 08:59:19 AM

can anyone help me with this http://imgur.com/5JWED8C  .the wallet just crashes after it happens.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TookDk
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1062

One coin to rule them all

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2014, 09:14:39 AM

can anyone help me with this http://imgur.com/5JWED8C  .the wallet just crashes after it happens.

Looks like the wallet.dat is damaged. If you have funds in this wallet, make a backup before doing anything else.

Then would I try to load a previously made backup of the wallet and see if mint-qt can load that one.

Cryptography is one of the few things you can truly trust.
chickenliver503

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 09:18:14 AM

Looks like the wallet.dat is damaged. If you have funds in this wallet, make a backup before doing anything else.

Then would I try to load a previously made backup of the wallet and see if mint-qt can load that one.

thanks for the help but i only had one back up of it and i recovered it from a hard drive that get corrupt. i am redownloading the blockchain now to see if that helps, than switch the wallet.dat
TookDk
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2014, 09:21:11 AM

thanks for the help but i only had one back up of it and i recovered it from a hard drive that get corrupt. i am redownloading the blockchain now to see if that helps, than switch the wallet.dat

Is the wallet encrypted?

chickenliver503

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 09:26:27 AM

Is the wallet encrypted?
yes
TookDk
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2014, 09:31:23 AM

can anyone help me with this http://imgur.com/5JWED8C  .the wallet just crashes after it happens.

Is the wallet encrypted?
yes

I don't think downloading the blockchain again will help.

Does the mint-qt eventually open after you get the warning: http://imgur.com/5JWED8C    ?

chickenliver503

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 09:36:41 AM

can anyone help me with this http://imgur.com/5JWED8C  .the wallet just crashes after it happens.

Is the wallet encrypted?
yes

I don't think downloading the blockchain again will help.

Does the mint-qt eventually open after you get the warning: http://imgur.com/5JWED8C    ?
no it just gives me a windows error and never opens
TookDk
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2014, 09:40:16 AM

It does not look too good, hopefully someone who has more technical insight can help you extract the private key from the wallet.dat.

It is very important to have multiple backup of the wallet.dat, personally I have at least 3 backups on three different medias of all my wallets.

chickenliver503

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 09:52:00 AM

It does not look too good, hopefully someone who has more technical insight can help you extract the private key from the wallet.dat.

It is very important to have multiple backup of the wallet.dat, personally I have at least 3 backups on three different medias of all my wallets.
thanks for the help, i guess i will try and asking around more, and i will start backing up my wallet now since this happen.
David Latapie

Activity: 658
Merit: 503

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2014, 10:09:01 AM

This is a great idea! I love doing things to help our planet and have been planning on picking up some trash around our lake. The lake is low so all kinds of trash is along the shore. It really is awful that people just throw bottles, cans and all sorts of trash and just think it doesn't matter. I don't know if I can get any good photos but sounds fun anyways.
Thanks! We will publish a carousel with pictures.

Monero: the first crytocurrency to bring bank secrecy and net neutrality to the blockchain.HyperStake: pushing the limits of staking.
Reputation threadFree bitcoins: reviews, hints…: freebitco.in, freedoge.co.in, qoinpro
luuupooo

Activity: 90
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 10:26:26 AM

Earth Day is soon (22nd). It is a great opportunity to bring some attention toward mintcoin. And have fun at the same time and build up the community.

What I propose:
every one of us go looking for a natural spot around your place of living. Print out a Mintcoin poster that we still have to create together. Take a camera, place the poster in a strategic location so that it will be on the shot without obscuring the natural spot. Make some shot (Photoshop is allowed for small modification - do not make the spot looks like what it is not).

Once back home, choose the best one and send it to me with a 3-liner about this location. Why you choose it (particularly beautiful, particularly destroyed by mankind, great memories...) We will post them in a carousel fashion on a website that will go public this very day.

Example text: "When I was young, my mother liked to bring me here and just stay silent, watching the waterfall. We have only one mother. We have only one Earth." Gl0sser, mintcoin user
As you can see, no mention on mintcoin on the text itself, only the signature will be the same. I believe it is better that way, but your mileage may vary.

We'll try to publish it on non-crypto related websites. Even if it doesn't increase the price of mintcoin, it will strenghten us as a community and it is our duty as a sustainable development coin to act this way.

Another possibility would be to not included a mintcoin poste in the picture but to have a mintcoin logo in the surrounding text. I am thinking of regular motivator-like poster with a logo on the right (or the left). I'll try to provide you a sample.

Who's in?

good idea
i will try my best!
paspi

Activity: 185

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 10:51:23 AM

Hello,
According to the message, it managed recover all private keys from your wallet.dat file. Private keys are required to claim your received coins (in the past and in the future for your existing addresses) so this is good. You shouldn't have lost any funds.

"Transactions may be incorrect" : Downloaded blockchain and your wallet's information based on that downloaded blockchain are two different entities. This message refers to the transactions your wallet.dat file knows about. After your download is complete, open debug window and run "checkwallet". It will try to find mismatches between the actual transactions in the blockchain, and the transactions your wallet knows about. If it finds anything, you can run "repairwallet" from there.

"Address book may be incorrect" : I hope this refers to the send addresses shown in Address Book tab. Verify that your saved send addresses are correct, or better delete every one of them. If any of them is wrong and you try to send your coins to that address, coins would be lost. Worst case might be this message also refers to "Receive coins" tab, but I doubt so -- they should be covered by private keys. If you're in doubt, you can try sending small amounts (like 1 mint) to each of those addresses from another wallet, to see if you can receive them.

Always remember: backup backup backup. Don't run anything until you backup your broken wallet.dat file. It is possible to break it further to a state where you can't recover your private keys.

If the message keeps appearing, or if you don't trust it and you want to start fresh, from the debug window you can export your private keys, and then you can import them to another fresh wallet. And then throw away the old wallet.dat file. I don't remember the exact commands, but I did it once. If you need this, let us know, someone would help.

MINT: MdPQhsGufjm5AXYkHebbnF2A155xDqVfK7
TookDk
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2014, 11:24:07 AM

If the message keeps appearing, or if you don't trust it and you want to start fresh, from the debug window you can export your private keys, and then you can import them to another fresh wallet. And then throw away the old wallet.dat file. I don't remember the exact commands, but I did it once. If you need this, let us know, someone would help.

The problem the fellow have is that mint-qt will not start, if it could start this is your suggestion good.
Here is the procedure to recover the private key:

To dump your private key to the following:
unlock the wallet
click on 'help' in the menu bar (top right)
click on 'debug window'
select the 'console' tab
execute this command:
dumpprivkey <your puplic adr. where you send the funds to>

The program will respond with your private key.
Save this in a text file (don't give it to anyone and don't post it here!)

Close down the client.
Delete wallet.dat (make sure to have a backup)
Open mint-qt.
Sync
Once it is ready, go back to the console and write:
importprivkey <your PrivateKey>

DougB62

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

Banned: For Your Protection

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 01:00:22 PM

The problem the fellow have is that mint-qt will not start, if it could start this is your suggestion good.
Here is the procedure to recover the private key:

To dump your private key to the following:
unlock the wallet
click on 'help' in the menu bar (top right)
click on 'debug window'
select the 'console' tab
execute this command:
dumpprivkey <your puplic adr. where you send the funds to>

The program will respond with your private key.
Save this in a text file (don't give it to anyone and don't post it here!)

Close down the client.
Delete wallet.dat (make sure to have a backup)
Open mint-qt.
Sync
Once it is ready, go back to the console and write:
importprivkey <your PrivateKey>

I'm not having any issues, but I am curious - If you have, let's say, 20 separate receiving addresses, would you have to dump all 20 priv. keys, and then import them all individually to a fresh wallet, or is their a "Master" that would take care of everything?
dogechode

Activity: 182

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 01:09:23 PM

I'm not having any issues, but I am curious - If you have, let's say, 20 separate receiving addresses, would you have to dump all 20 priv. keys, and then import them all individually to a fresh wallet, or is their a "Master" that would take care of everything?

That's an interesting question. I don't have much experience messing around with a bunch of different receiving addresses but I always assumed they were essentially functioning as pointers to a wallet and that the wallet, rather than the address/es, was tied to a single private key.
TimC
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1022

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 01:14:17 PM

That's an interesting question. I don't have much experience messing around with a bunch of different receiving addresses but I always assumed they were essentially functioning as pointers to a wallet and that the wallet, rather than the address/es, was tied to a single private key.

All coins are held in the wallet and you can use one private key to dump them all. The reason why you can create different addresses is so you can have different one for receiving coins from different sources and to keep track of who is sending you what since you can have each source send to each different address but they are all stored into that wallet. Each time you create a new address you will need to backup your wallet to save those new addresses.

TookDk
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2014, 03:27:05 PM

All coins are held in the wallet and you can use one private key to dump them all. The reason why you can create different addresses is so you can have different one for receiving coins from different sources and to keep track of who is sending you what since you can have each source send to each different address but they are all stored into that wallet. Each time you create a new address you will need to backup your wallet to save those new addresses.

Each private key has one corresponding public key, they form a pair.
The other way around: each public key has one unique corresponding private key.

mintcointeam (OP)

Activity: 325
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 04:19:59 PM

Conkite is considering adding MintCoin to their supported coin list Show them support!
dogechode

Activity: 182

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 04:27:20 PM

Each private key has one corresponding public key, they form a pair.
The other way around: each public key has one unique corresponding private key.

I think for the sake of this example it would be useful to define exactly what you mean by public and private keys. Private key = the passphrase you use to lock/unlock the wallet, correct? Public key = ?
TookDk
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2014, 04:54:31 PM

I think for the sake of this example it would be useful to define exactly what you mean by public and private keys. Private key = the passphrase you use to lock/unlock the wallet, correct? Public key = ?

Oh, alright.

Speaking cryptography terms, is the key-set asymmetric:

The private key (secret key) is for crypto currency typical a 51 characters in base58.
The public key (share key) can be calculated from a private key, the public key is typical 34 characters in base 58.

Most users never see the private key, unless they make paper-wallets (but you can just unlock your wallet and type dumpprivkey <your public adr.> then will you see it.
When creating a paper wallet are you basically printing out the private key on a physical medium, like a piece of paper ect.

The public key is what we use when we send MINT's to each-other.
If I want to send X MINT to you then will I type in YOUR public key into mint-qt and how much I want to send to you.
Lets call my public key A and yours B:
Mint-qt creates a transaction "I want to send X funds from public key A to public key B", qt sign the transaction with MY private key (creating a unique signature which shows that I own public key A). The transactions is then broadcasted to the nodes on the P2P network.

The passhrase is a password to unlock your wallet.dat which is (hopefully) encrypted, and has really nothing to do with the private key.
The mint-qt needs to access the wallet.dat in order to access the private key in order to sign the transaction.

Pages: « 1 ... 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 [669] 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 ... 1035 »
  Print  

Jump to: