Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 08:08:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 [180] 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 ... 515 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][NOTE]DNotes - Celebrating DNotes 3rd Birthday - Forum Now Open  (Read 814498 times)
mafort1469

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 03:01:17 AM

This post will be dedicated to maintaining a systematic list of items important to the future of DNotes. Alan's list of issues slowing mass acceptance of cryptocurrency inspired the idea. When you come across something or have an idea to be added, please quote this post and I will keep it updated. Hopefully I can keep all items in order of importance, if you feel something should be moved up or down the list, please state your argument.

What technologies are most important to the future and success of DNotes?

Cloud storage of the blockchain. Wallets sync with cloud instantly and no lag time at startup. This is a centralized item, however, but would be of great benefit. Instant syncing, instant sending, etc.

What major issues with the existing financial system can DNotes solve?

Instant transfers of money. We all know about the float time a bank has with checks, etc. This is archaic and has to be eliminated. This is a time of speed and now and this float time of days to transfer money has to be replaced. Also fees on these bank transfers, etc. are also a major hindrance.

What services are most important to the future and success of DNotes?

Accessibility, easy of use, fiat to DNotes website, and CLEARLY outlining benefits, programs, future of DNotes.

What major obstacles does DNotes face to achieve success?

Mainstream media negativity of any cryptocurrency in general. This will be the biggest hurdle in my opinion. Once this has been overcome, in a few years, we will all see the benefits as people realize/wake up to the potential that cryptocurrency has in store for the world. AND DNotes WILL pave the way for us ALL!
DNotes (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1111

DNotes

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2015, 03:22:11 AM

This post will be dedicated to maintaining a systematic list of items important to the future of DNotes. Alan's list of issues slowing mass acceptance of cryptocurrency inspired the idea. When you come across something or have an idea to be added, please quote this post and I will keep it updated. Hopefully I can keep all items in order of importance, if you feel something should be moved up or down the list, please state your argument.

Cloud storage of the blockchain. Wallets sync with cloud instantly and no lag time at startup. This is a centralized item, however, but would be of great benefit. Instant syncing, instant sending, etc.

Instant transfers of money. We all know about the float time a bank has with checks, etc. This is archaic and has to be eliminated. This is a time of speed and now and this float time of days to transfer money has to be replaced. Also fees on these bank transfers, etc. are also a major hindrance.

Accessibility, easy of use, fiat to DNotes website, and CLEARLY outlining benefits, programs, future of DNotes.

Mainstream media negativity of any cryptocurrency in general. This will be the biggest hurdle in my opinion. Once this has been overcome, in a few years, we will all see the benefits as people realize/wake up to the potential that cryptocurrency has in store for the world. AND DNotes WILL pave the way for us ALL!

Great additions Marc! I love the storing the blockchain on the cloud one, needs some investigation, but would certainly have it's uses.

1) An easy to use merchant payment verification system that doesn't require a third party
2) Cloud storage of the blockchain. Wallets sync with cloud instantly and no lag time at startup. This is a centralized item, however, but would be of great benefit. Instant syncing, instant sending, etc.

1) Instant transfers of money.
2) Micro transactions, under $1 are not feasible. The transaction fees make micro transactions unprofitable if not impossible.

1) Direct and simple fiat to DNotes exchange.
2) Accessibility and Ease of Use
3) CLEARLY outlining benefits, programs, future of DNotes

1) Half of the world's population does not have banking access and is therefore excluded from participating in economic growth.
2) Combating and rising above the bad reputation bitcoin has (whether it is deserved or not).
3) Mainstream media negativity of any cryptocurrency in general.

Chase
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 03:53:53 AM
Last edit: February 15, 2015, 04:18:13 PM by Chase

DNotes Open House February 17 & 18 - Drop in and say hi!

Come celebrate with us:

CR.I.S.P. For Retirement Launch - Feb 16

DNotes Birthday - Feb 18

One year record as the most stable currency!

This is our turn as a community to show our support for a well deserved coin and a well deserved team. Let’s keep this forum busy during the Open House and give CR.I.S.P. for Retirement a great head start.

If you know someone who hasn't posted yet, or only done so once, get in touch with them and ask them to drop in and say hello.

Message people from our forum that have been away.

In honor of CR.I.S.P. For Retirement, anyone who wishes to could post a retirement fact or story.  Limit of one fact or story per post, but as many posts as you want.

Share your retirement situation or Grandpa's "back in my day" stories.  Grin

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." -Albert Einstein-

DNotes EDU – Cryptocurrency Education For All – Accomplishments of 2018
DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2015, 04:44:11 AM

Come celebrate with us:

CR.I.S.P. For Retirement Launch - Feb 17

DNotes Birthday - Feb 18

This is our turn as a community to show our support for a well deserved coin and a well deserved team. Let’s keep this forum busy during the Open House and give CR.I.S.P. for Retirement a great head start.

If you know someone who hasn't posted yet, or only done so once, get in touch with them and ask them to drop in and say hello.

In honor of CR.I.S.P. For Retirement, anyone who wishes to could post a retirement fact or story.  Limit of one fact or story per post, but as many posts as you want.

Share your retirement situation or Grandpa's "back in my day" stories.  Grin

Sounds great Chase! Well done

Dyna
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1060

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 05:08:06 AM

Come celebrate with us:

CR.I.S.P. For Retirement Launch - Feb 17

DNotes Birthday - Feb 18

In honor of CR.I.S.P. For Retirement, anyone who wishes to could post a retirement fact or story.  Limit of one fact or story per post, but as many posts as you want.

Share your retirement situation or Grandpa's "back in my day" stories.  Grin

Sounds great Chase! Well done

Excellent job, Chase.
Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 05:12:40 AM

Great job, Marc. Thanks.
RJF

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Online since '89...

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2015, 01:52:20 PM
Last edit: February 11, 2015, 02:52:02 PM by RJF

Soapbox mode: ON

Mainstream media negativity is, in my humble opinion, the biggest obstacle. The media these days only focuses on sensational actions and illegal activity. Headlines need to be bad and damaging to catch attention, in their mind anyway. We are all fed up with this though not many of us are doing anything about it. I propose a "Crypro Coin Media Watchguard" group specifically dedicated to searching for negative news and providing a counterpoint to each article. In truth, most headlines and stories about our industry have many mistakes and suppositions to the point of being totally inaccurate. Even outlets that claim to be dedicated to Bitcoin are publishing garbage for ratings.

There is no editorial oversite, very rarely a correction when called out and writers who are still clueless being praised for their "investigative journalism". It's a mess and we will be held back until we do something about it.

Yes, I know there is the "Bitcoin Foundation". What a joke that is. They can't decide whether to use the boys or girls bathroom without a vote and 4 weeks of discussion. That is not the answer. We, as an industry, need to act swiftly and with great precision in putting out all the little fires before they burn down the house.

Soap box mode: OFF

DNotesVault
“First, they ignore you. Then, they laugh at you. Then, they fight you. Then you win!” – Mahatma Gandhi 
Prepare for your future now, check out CRISP For Retirement and our complete family of CRISP savings plans.
Chase
Legendary

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 02:56:16 PM
Last edit: February 11, 2015, 03:10:40 PM by Chase

Mainstream media negativity is, in my humble opinion, the biggest obstacle. The media these days only focuses on sensational actions and illegal activity. Headlines need to be bad and damaging to catch attention, in their mind anyway. We are all fed up with this though not many of us are doing anything about it. I propose a "Crypro Coin Media Watchguard" group specifically dedicated to searching for negative news and providing a counterpoint to each article. In truth, most headlines and stories about our industry have many mistakes and suppositions to the point of being totally inaccurate. Even outlets that claim to be dedicated to Bitcoin are publishing garbage for ratings.

There is no editorial oversite, very rarely a correction when called out and writers who are still clueless being praised for their "investigative journalism". It's a mess and we will be held back until we do something about it.

Yes, I know there is the "Bitcoin Foundation". What a joke that is. They can't decide whether to use the boys or girls bathroom without a vote and 4 weeks of discussion.
That is not the answer. We, as an industry, need to act swiftly and with great precision in putting out all the little fires before they burn down the house.

Yes, I know there is the "Bitcoin Foundation". What a joke that is. They can't decide whether to use the boys or girls bathroom without a vote and 4 weeks of discussion.  Grin

When the Bitcoin Foundation announced in the fall that they were no longer going to be working on public policy and educational outreach, but rather focusing solely on core development, I remember thinking that was probably the worst step in the wrong direction.  

I agree with everything else you said - a Media Watchguard is badly needed!

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." -Albert Einstein-

Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 03:53:24 PM

Yes, I know there is the "Bitcoin Foundation". What a joke that is. They can't decide whether to use the boys or girls bathroom without a vote and 4 weeks of discussion.
That is not the answer. We, as an industry, need to act swiftly and with great precision in putting out all the little fires before they burn down the house.

Yes, I know there is the "Bitcoin Foundation". What a joke that is. They can't decide whether to use the boys or girls bathroom without a vote and 4 weeks of discussion.  Grin

When the Bitcoin Foundation announced in the fall that they were no longer going to be working on public policy and educational outreach, but rather focusing solely on core development, I remember thinking that was probably the worst step in the wrong direction.  

Mainstream media negativity has certainly been damaging to the industry, hence one of the biggest obstacles to early acceptance of cryptocurrencies. The second major obstacle is the costly burdensome registration, reporting and licensing requirements, as well as the lack of regulatory guidance.

Now that we have unloaded some of our frustrations on the mainstream media, how can we turn them around and get more of them to be our friends?

I can tell you how I did it when I was with Dauphin Technology in the early 1990s. I treated them with great respects and appreciation and never failed to return a single phone call. We were in the news practically every day for a number of years. I  even heard of  complaint from a major competitor saying, “Dauphin is a very small ($25 million) company, they are getting an unfair share on media attention.”  We will be nice to the mainstream media. May be the same thing can happen to DNotes.
Chase
Legendary

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 05:10:53 PM

Mainstream media negativity has certainly been damaging to the industry, hence one of the biggest obstacles to early acceptance of cryptocurrencies. The second major obstacle is the costly burdensome registration, reporting and licensing requirements, as well as the lack of regulatory guidance.

Now that we have unloaded some of our frustrations on the mainstream media, how can we turn them around and get more of them to be our friends?

I can tell you how I did it when I was with Dauphin Technology in the early 1990s. I treated them with great respects and appreciation and never failed to return a single phone call. We were in the news practically every day for a number of years. I  even heard of  complaint from a major competitor saying, “Dauphin is a very small ($25 million) company, they are getting an unfair share on media attention.”  We will be nice to the mainstream media. May be the same thing can happen to DNotes.

You are right, as much fun as it is venting, it's not very productive.  The media thrives and survives on attention and it doesn't matter whether it is good or bad.  A lot of stories have a comment section, if the story is good and accurate (no sensationalism), we could praise the author and pass their story around.  If there are a lot of questionable facts - I don't know if it is better to politely correct them, or ignore them???

RJF

Online since '89...

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2015, 05:26:39 PM

You are right, as much fun as it is venting, it's not very productive.  The media thrives and survives on attention and it doesn't matter whether it is good or bad.  A lot of stories have a comment section, if the story is good and accurate (no sensationalism), we could praise the author and pass their story around.  If there are a lot of questionable facts - I don't know if it is better to politely correct them, or ignore them???

If the "facts" are questionable, or wrong, we should NOT ignore, we should offer the correct version. Yes, I'm venting, I'm sick of reading bad press from so called "Bitcoin" friendly outlets. I agree that the best way to deal with it is to turn them into friends and allies. When I was in the Internet Access business, we provided free connections to local radio stations and a newspaper or two in return for advertising. A side benefit was that these people would check with us prior to running stories that may have directly affected our operations which allowed us to provide our view or counterpoint. Worked well then, not sure how it would work now, much bigger scale involved.

DNotesVault
“First, they ignore you. Then, they laugh at you. Then, they fight you. Then you win!” – Mahatma Gandhi 
Prepare for your future now, check out CRISP For Retirement and our complete family of CRISP savings plans.
Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 05:43:52 PM
Last edit: February 11, 2015, 06:24:00 PM by Dyna

You are right, as much fun as it is venting, it's not very productive.  The media thrives and survives on attention and it doesn't matter whether it is good or bad.  A lot of stories have a comment section, if the story is good and accurate (no sensationalism), we could praise the author and pass their story around.  If there are a lot of questionable facts - I don't know if it is better to politely correct them, or ignore them???

If the "facts" are questionable, or wrong, we should NOT ignore, we should offer the correct version. Yes, I'm venting, I'm sick of reading bad press from so called "Bitcoin" friendly outlets. I agree that the best way to deal with it is to turn them into friends and allies. When I was in the Internet Access business, we provided free connections to local radio stations and a newspaper or two in return for advertising. A side benefit was that these people would check with us prior to running stories that may have directly affected our operations which allowed us to provide our view or counterpoint. Worked well then, not sure how it would work now, much bigger scale involved.

This is how we could be most helpful. Let us try to come up with some positive Headlines that will emphasize the advantages of Digital Currency. Subject areas the industry and the media may have missed:

Bitcoin Alternative DNotes May Provide The Comfort Mainstream Media Needed, if one year of Consistent Stability with Solid Appreciation can Restore their Confidence.

With that we can write a few 700 word articles and distribute them to the mainstream media. We need positive, consistent, and accurate messaging throughout our industry reaching the mainstream media. The mood of our industry has been negatively affected by false narratives. It needs a positive boost.
SmokeysGardens

Activity: 157
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 06:47:14 PM

Yes, I know there is the "Bitcoin Foundation". What a joke that is. They can't decide whether to use the boys or girls bathroom without a vote and 4 weeks of discussion. That is not the answer. We, as an industry, need to act swiftly and with great precision in putting out all the little fires before they burn down the house.

WOW!!! Great minds think alike I guess. Dyna and I discussed that VERY point a couple of hours ago on the phone. He thought that that was the number one obstacle to mass adoption.

Great observation!!

Smokey
DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2015, 07:03:42 PM

You are right, as much fun as it is venting, it's not very productive.  The media thrives and survives on attention and it doesn't matter whether it is good or bad.  A lot of stories have a comment section, if the story is good and accurate (no sensationalism), we could praise the author and pass their story around.  If there are a lot of questionable facts - I don't know if it is better to politely correct them, or ignore them???

This is how we could be most helpful. Let us try to come up with some positive Headlines that will emphasize the advantages of Digital Currency. Subject areas the industry and the media may have missed:

Bitcoin Alternative DNotes May Provide The Comfort Mainstream Media Needed, if one year of Consistent Stability with Solid Appreciation can Restore their Confidence.

With that we can write a few 700 word articles and distribute them to the mainstream media. We need positive, consistent, and accurate messaging throughout our industry reaching the mainstream media. The mood of our industry has been negatively affected by false narratives. It needs a positive boost.

Our industry needs the positive attention and I think Alan is right, we aren't going to change the media and the direction of their stories by challenging them only by getting them on our side. Stories can be sensationally positive, as well as sensationally negative. If a story is bad they make it horrific, and if it's good it's heaven sent, that's just how news sells. We need to focus on the positive and gain their respect and support.

That title is a great start, let's come up with more.

Chase
Legendary

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 07:10:51 PM

Our industry needs the positive attention and I think Alan is right, we aren't going to change the media and the direction of their stories by challenging them only by getting them on our side. Stories can be sensationally positive, as well as sensationally negative. If a story is bad they make it horrific, and if it's good it's heaven sent, that's just how news sells. We need to focus on the positive and gain their respect and support.

That title is a great start, let's come up with more.

This could be a lot of fun!

DNotes Digital Currency Reaches Out To Include Everyday People In The Rewards Of Early Technology Investment

Government Run Pension Plans Unsustainable As DNotes Continues To Assist People In Rebuilding With CR.I.S.P. For Retirement

RJF

Online since '89...

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2015, 09:08:54 PM

CR.I.S.P. For Retirement - Landing Page - DRAFT
-------------------------------------------------------

CR.I.S.P. For Retirement

Helping to secure YOUR future in an uncertain financial world.

“Will you have the resources to enjoy your retirement or, will you still be working until you can no longer do so? In these uncertain financial times, it is becoming more and more difficult to maintain a retirement account that will actually see you through your golden years. DNotes believes that we can help. Please read the information presented here for more on the concept of using DNotes to augment your retirement savings.

RJF - Director, CR.I.S.P. For Retirement”

CR.I.S.P. For Retirement – A General Overview

CR.I.S.P. for Retirement is an unstructured and self-directed plan, using DNotes as the investment vehicle to supplement retirement savings. Re-occurring savings, in any amount, may be added at any time. This savings plan can be started with any amount of DNotes by opening an account at DNotesVault with an expanded registration at the CR.I.S.P. for Retirement landing page.

DNotesVault is a web wallet for DNotes, available to all DNotes’ stakeholders, at no cost. All coins at DNotes Vault are guaranteed with a coin match program held in a separate cold storage wallet, in a different location. In the event that the DNotesVault is compromised and your coins have gone missing, 100% of your lost DNotes will be replaced through a guarantee fund with a verifiable balance always in excess of the total DNotesVault deposit.

How many times have you heard this or something similar: "Retire, are you kidding, I'll have to work till I can't stand up!" How many times have you said that or something similar?

One of the hardest things we do throughout our working years is plan for the future. So much time and effort go into just getting by that we forget most income is finite and that we will need to put some away to carry us through our later years. Unlike most structured retirement funds and pension systems, CR.I.S.P. for Retirement is directed by YOU, not some fund managers or pension system trustees that my well make bad investments with your future.

Here, you control how much you save and the market, in general, controls what those savings will be worth in 5, 10, 20 or 30 years. It's simple, uncomplicated and you can see your plan any time you want to. You can add DNotes at any time, in any amount. Restrictions apply for withdraws prior to the expiration of your chosen "locked in date" but, there are means available to request early withdrawal of your DNotes if needed.

Here at DNotes, we truly believe crypto/digital currency is the future. If you do as well, or, just want to diversify your traditional investments, then put away some DNotes for those often spoken of "Golden Years", we at DNotes are ready and, willing to help.

Keep in mind that DNotes is the most stable digital currency among over 500 coins in the cryptocurrency space. It has also been one of the best performers based on return on investment. $100 invested in DNotes in March 2014, when it was first traded was worth over $2,000 by the end of 2014. Although there are no assurances that the value of DNotes will continue to appreciate at the same rate, or significantly lower, there are reasonable expectations that being an early stage investment and its strong growth path, DNotes has the potential to deliver potential high rate of returns. High potential returns investments are typically associated with high risk. Do not invest more than you can afford to loose in case of a total loss.

Bitcoin and DNotes are among the leaders in the new digital currency industry expected to be the next greatest technology revolution since the internet. This is an early stage or ground investment opportunity often associated with high risk for potential high returns. Seasoned investors typically budget no more than 10% of their portfolio in their asset allocation for high risk investment. We strongly recommend that you consider doing the same. CR.I.S.P. for Retirement should only be funded as a supplemental savings vehicle to your overall retirement savings.

Once again, DNotesVault is simply a secure web wallet to store your DNotes at no cost to stakeholders. DNotesVault does not enable the buying, selling, or exchange any fiat currency, digital currency or any property.

Buying DNotes safely online may take some time if you're not already involved in cryptocurrency trading. Consider this process like setting up a brand new bank account, in that once you are setup, it is easy to use.......http://dnotesvault.com/dnotes.php  ..............

-------------------------------------------

First draft, is this going in the right direction? I included and altered in some cases some of your standard prose. Please feel free to correct, suggest, change, add or delete anything.

Critics are the best writing tools around...

DNotesVault
Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 09:29:00 PM

CR.I.S.P. For Retirement

“Will you have the resources to enjoy your retirement or, will you still be working until you can no longer do so? In these uncertain financial times, it is becoming more and more difficult to maintain a retirement account that will actually see you through your golden years. DNotes believes that we can help. Please read the information presented here for more on the concept of using DNotes to augment your retirement savings.

CR.I.S.P. for Retirement is an unstructured and self-directed plan, using DNotes as the investment vehicle to supplement retirement savings. Re-occurring savings, in any amount, may be added at any time. This savings plan can be started with any amount of DNotes by opening an account at DNotesVault with an expanded registration at the CR.I.S.P. for Retirement landing page.

DNotesVault is a web wallet for DNotes, available to all DNotes’ stakeholders, at no cost. All coins at DNotes Vault are guaranteed with a coin match program held in a separate cold storage wallet, in a different location. In the event that the DNotesVault is compromised and your coins have gone missing, 100% of your lost DNotes will be replaced through a guarantee fund with a verifiable balance always in excess of the total DNotesVault deposit.

How many times have you heard this or something similar: "Retire, are you kidding, I'll have to work till I can't stand up!" How many times have you said that or something similar?

One of the hardest things we do throughout our working years is plan for the future. So much time and effort go into just getting by that we forget most income is finite and that we will need to put some away to carry us through our later years. Unlike most structured retirement funds and pension systems, CR.I.S.P. for Retirement is directed by YOU, not some fund managers or pension system trustees that my well make bad investments with your future.

Here, you control how much you save and the market, in general, controls what those savings will be worth in 5, 10, 20 or 30 years. It's simple, uncomplicated and you can see your plan any time you want to. You can add DNotes at any time, in any amount. Restrictions apply for withdraws prior to the expiration of your chosen "locked in date" but, there are means available to request early withdrawal of your DNotes if needed.

Here at DNotes, we truly believe crypto/digital currency is the future. If you do as well, or, just want to diversify your traditional investments, then put away some DNotes for those often spoken of "Golden Years", we at DNotes are ready and, willing to help.

Keep in mind that DNotes is the most stable digital currency among over 500 coins in the cryptocurrency space. It has also been one of the best performers based on return on investment. $100 invested in DNotes in March 2014, when it was first traded was worth over $2,000 by the end of 2014. Although there are no assurances that the value of DNotes will continue to appreciate at the same rate, or significantly lower, there are reasonable expectations that being an early stage investment and its strong growth path, DNotes has the potential to deliver potential high rate of returns. High potential returns investments are typically associated with high risk. Do not invest more than you can afford to loose in case of a total loss.

Bitcoin and DNotes are among the leaders in the new digital currency industry expected to be the next greatest technology revolution since the internet. This is an early stage or ground investment opportunity often associated with high risk for potential high returns. Seasoned investors typically budget no more than 10% of their portfolio in their asset allocation for high risk investment. We strongly recommend that you consider doing the same. CR.I.S.P. for Retirement should only be funded as a supplemental savings vehicle to your overall retirement savings.

Once again, DNotesVault is simply a secure web wallet to store your DNotes at no cost to stakeholders. DNotesVault does not enable the buying, selling, or exchange any fiat currency, digital currency or any property.

Buying DNotes safely online may take some time if you're not already involved in cryptocurrency trading. Consider this process like setting up a brand new bank account, in that once you are setup, it is easy to use.......http://dnotesvault.com/dnotes.php  ..............

First draft, is this going in the right direction? I included and altered in some cases some of your standard prose. Please feel free to correct, suggest, change, add or delete anything.

Great 1st draft. Definitely on the right path. Chase and Marc are very good at editing and I am sure they will be delighted to be of help through PM. I am not very good at editing and also extremely busy working on different angles to general media attention for next week. We are looking to a very exciting week. Thank you all for working so well together.
RJF

Online since '89...

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2015, 09:40:26 PM

A think somewhile back, a request was made for retirement stories. Well, I'll give you one:

For most of my adult working life, I held down multiple jobs and careers. I've been in the workforce in one way or another since I was 12 years old. My main job for 20 years was as a Firefighter/EMT in a busy ocean side resort town. We ran about 1200 Fire calls and 7500 EMS calls a year. During down time from that, I managed a second career in electronics & computers, commercial fishing as a deck hand up through captain (Masters ticket), learned radio and electronics service business, and started a successful internet access provider that went national.

Through all this, the only job that offered security AFTER the fact was Firefighter. So, I didn't put much thought into those "golden years" back then and it looked like I wouldn't have to. Then, things changed. While fighting a rooming house fire, my partner and I were blown out of the second story by a steam explosion. He was severely injured and retired as a result, I got off easy with minor injuries but even so, things that came easy prior to that incident now produced pain or simply could not be accomplished.

This was shortly after the birth of my second daughter and reality said, "Time to retire before it buries you" and that is what I did. There were several options availble regarding pension payouts and I, being the Internet geek, choose the IRA cash out. This was 1993, how could it not be the best choice? It was heavy in tech stocks and that sector was booming right?

Well, you all know what happened then, the boom became a crash heard round the world when that bubble imploded and my excellent IRA became nearly worthless overnight. There was no going back and saying "My mistake, I wanted the 20 year payout instead..." The deal was done.

So for all those years, all that work, late nights, snow, hurricanes, floods, countless auto accidents fires and other disasters, I was left with almost exactly $27K for MY "Golden Years"  

Luckily, I wasn't as stupid as I sound right now and had other sources of income and savings but it still hurt. What if I had not acquired the skills and knowledge I did while working for the City? Where would I be now? Don't even want to think about that.

Remember, there is no such thing as a sure thing, it's all subject to change....

DNotesVault
TeeGee

Activity: 846
Merit: 535

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 11:22:24 PM

Great first draft RJF, I'm really enjoying trading everybody's business experience stories and such. We have a very experienced DNotes team, combined with some younger members who will take DNotes into the future.

Perhaps our little game for DYNA's apprentice wasn't a particularly left field idea? Within a year or two this group could have so much demand for involvement that we could consider DNote 'mentorships' / internships in subjects like: strategy, marketing, programming and development, finance and management.

The top students from universities could one day work with CRISP directors to gain meaningful experience in a nascent industry that will soon be the centre of finance that will create many jobs that do not yet even exist. This is experience they would otherwise find impossible to ascertain. Some wealthy people out there may want to start a DNotes scholarship to help students go to university, we could provide essential experience in conjunction with such a program.

Bill Gates etc made it big in part because they were the only people in the world with the required experience when demand for their skills arose. The same will occur in crypto.

Who doesn't want a piece of the future?

Written on my phone... Took ages, but I'm in a car driving through the regrowth of the black Saturday fires from 2009. Hope autocorrect didn't play any tricks on me!

DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2015, 11:59:01 PM

CR.I.S.P. For Retirement

Looking great RJF! I will be watching for any edits and changes we need. In the meantime, once we have the global retirement stats (number of accounts, retirement accounts total, total principal investment USD, total interest, ect..), I will put it up on the site so we can see how it looks. 

Pages: « 1 ... 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 [180] 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 ... 515 »
  Print  

Jump to: