Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 09:44:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ... 62 »
  Print  
Author Topic: 1GH/s, 20w, $500 — Butterflylabs, is it a scam?  (Read 123023 times)
sadpandatech

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 20, 2011, 12:25:32 PM

edit: on second thought, I focused on the white box, but the black box does seem more like a poor photoshop job:
   hehe, I was thinking the same thing. But, the black box, cheap low-sheen black does look like real paint. ;p

Check the white around the LCD...
  The lcd frame seems normal to me. The parts that stand out, but could just be poor ISO on the camera are the very fine shadows/lines around the buttons where the shadows do not seem inset as much as they should. The depth just isn't there. Same around the actual enclosure frame.  I also note that the enclosure screw at the bottom of the black one is much more noticeable than on the white one. Suggesting either different pics or that the white one is the PS and lost some of its depth in the process.

Hmmm.. okay, Im undecided Smiley

LOL, same. But wanted to add some other considerations for those with better PS spotting abilities than I to look at.

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dyngnosis

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 20, 2011, 05:20:07 PM

The white box is a 'stock image' used at a number of sites.  There are multiple angles here:

This is the butterfly image:
http://butterflylabs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/rig-enclosure.png

Here is the box over at OEM Export
http://www.oemexport.com/super-lcm-raid-enclsoure-with-raid-function-swappable-function-four-bays-p-946.html?zenid=34vcahkstrsfitdhi9llsdjca4

http://www.oemexport.com/images/l/201011/a/12892346087.jpg
http://www.oemexport.com/images/l/201011/a/12892346096.jpg
http://www.oemexport.com/images/l/201011/a/12892346123.jpg

I'm sure we could dig up the black one too...
dyngnosis

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 20, 2011, 05:29:46 PM

The reason the black one doesnt look like real plaint:

BUTTERFLY LABS:
http://butterflylabs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/rig-enclosure-SC1.png

Original:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51JX-bX%2B17L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
sadpandatech

View Profile
October 20, 2011, 05:35:09 PM
Last edit: October 20, 2011, 07:33:35 PM by sadpandatech

The reason the black one doesnt look like real plaint:

BUTTERFLY LABS:

Original:

Aye, I see they even went as far as bluring out the 'Raid 0' on the display on the black one and looks that they tried to modify it all together on the white one. I had posted a reply to the white one asking if you had a photo of the black, but kittie hit the backspace key on me. ;p

The raid certainly explains the appearance of the swap bays on the inside of the box. i thought it odd looking for any kind of PCB slide in to be capped at the ends like that inside the enclosure. ;p

Cheers for the research, m8

edit;crap typing fixed

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

P4man

Activity: 518

View Profile
October 20, 2011, 05:51:14 PM

Good catch guys. Couldnt find that one with google image search.

shakaru

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

QUIFAS EXCHANGE

View Profile
October 20, 2011, 06:29:11 PM

I have made multiple phone calls to the number provided and no return call what-so-ever. You would think that they would try to entertain a client who is willing to purchase a large qty as well as travel to their facility.

▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
                         ▄▄██████████████████▄▄
                       ▄███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████▄
                     ▄█████▄▄██████████████▄▄█████▄
        ██████  █████████▄████████████████████▄█████
        ██████  ███████▄████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████▄████
                      ▄██████▀████████████▀██████▄████
███████   █████████████████████████████████████████████
███████   █████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████
     ██████████████████████████████████████████████████
     ██████████████████████████████████████████████████
                     █████████████████████████████████
            ██████████▀██████▄████████████▄██████▀████
            ███████████▀████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████▄███
                    █████▀████████████████▄▀██████▄
                     ▀█████▀▀██████████████▀██▀██████▄
                       ▀███████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀▀▀
                         ▀▀██████████████████▀▀
                             ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
QUIFAS                    
                    ███
 █              ███ ███
 █              ███  █
███          █  ███
███         ███  █
███  █      ███  █
    ███  █  ███  █
    ███ ███  █   █
     █   █   █
     █      
plastic.elastic

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 20, 2011, 07:23:16 PM

I dont know about you guys, but i feel pretty stupid  not pulling this scam sooner. Now butterfly beats me to it.

I'm sad..... pretty sad.

Tips gladly accepted: 1LPaxHPvpzN3FbaGBaZShov3EFafxJDG42
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1063

Gerald Davis

View Profile
October 20, 2011, 07:30:00 PM

I would feel bad if it was a better scam.

I mean it shows how out of touch they are.  1GH/s 20w, $500. LOLZ.

Why not just go with 1TH/s, -1W (it generates electricity), $199.99 (plus free S&H if you call in the next 10 minutes).

A slightly more realistic scam (but still awesom if real) would be maybe 500MH/, 25W, $600.  That combined w/ better website some faked youtube video, a sligthly less polished PCB (remember this is homegrown first run), and maybe a plant on this forum could have net a decent number of "sales".

Then agains scammers gonna scam.  Always think they need to make the scam bigger.  Best scam is one that is slightly plausible.
wtfman

Activity: 118
Merit: 10

BTCServ Operator

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2011, 07:39:36 PM

Why not just go with 1TH/s, -1W (it generates electricity), $199.99 (plus free S&H if you call in the next 10 minutes).

A slightly more realistic scam (but still awesom if real) would be maybe 500MH/, 25W, $600.  That combined w/ better website some faked youtube video, a sligthly less polished PCB (remember this is homegrown first run), and maybe a plant on this forum could have net a decent number of "sales".

Then agains scammers gonna scam.  Always think they need to make the scam bigger.  Best scam is one that is slightly plausible.

Goal is to sell as many as possible contracts in a short time frame for a decent amount of money. Offering a "too good to be true" offer is probably the best way to suck many people in to it. If the price is too high many cannot afford it, if the quality is not far superior than anything out there it's not that interesting.

Many people who fall for scams do have doubts that it's a scam but the anxiety of losing a real good possibility is what makes them buy it anyways.

# BTCServ - EU based Mining Pool
# 0% PPS - 0.0000399757 - Hopping Proof
# Official Thread
sadpandatech

View Profile
October 20, 2011, 07:42:43 PM

Many people who fall for scams do have doubts that it's a scam but the anxiety of losing a real good possibility is what makes them buy it anyways.

ahhh, someone paid attention in Psy101. ;p

truth, he speaks it.

- GA

plastic.elastic

Activity: 168

View Profile
October 20, 2011, 08:27:10 PM

I can tell you're a good scammer arent you ?
 Grin

Tips gladly accepted: 1LPaxHPvpzN3FbaGBaZShov3EFafxJDG42
RandyFolds

Activity: 448

View Profile
October 20, 2011, 08:47:05 PM

Then agains scammers gonna scam

I want that animated MLP banner like pinkiepie's that says 'haters/gonna/hate', except with this for my sig.
sadpandatech

View Profile
October 20, 2011, 10:57:55 PM

LMFAO, check this out. They even came here to chat with us.  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=15672.msg585463#msg585463

Should we point them to this thread now or let em sweat it out a bit trying to convince people? ;p

Edit; NM, they are aware;
Hello, I would like to be white listed so I can respond to an active thread about our company products.  I am a representative of Butterfly Labs.  We are a manufacturer of encryption related processors. 

The forum thread in which we're mentioned is:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=48863.0;all

Thanks,
BFL

- GA

CanaryInTheMine
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1060

between a rock and a block!

View Profile
October 20, 2011, 11:05:22 PM

LMFAO, check this out. They even came here to chat with us.  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=15672.msg585463#msg585463

Should we point them to this thread now or let em sweat it out a bit trying to convince people? ;p

Edit; NM, they are aware;
Hello, I would like to be white listed so I can respond to an active thread about our company products.  I am a representative of Butterfly Labs.  We are a manufacturer of encryption related processors. 

The forum thread in which we're mentioned is:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=48863.0;all

Thanks,
BFL

they already know about this.

see this: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=44366;sa=showPosts
BFL

Activity: 217

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2011, 12:13:57 AM

Hello.

Your discussion thread about our company was brought to our attention and as a result, I was assigned to come and shed some light on what you can expect from our product releases over the next several months.  I believe there may be useful applications for our processors in your market, but there seems to be some confusion about us and what we make.  I hope to clear that up.

Having said that, I've just read your complete thread and I now feel like a bloody lamb being dipped in a pool of sharks...  so please, go easy on me as an outsider.  Smiley

Firstly, I would like to point out that we have yet to go public with our BitForce release.  At some point recently, several notables from the bitcoin community found out about our development and approached us about applications for the bitcoin market.  Since then we have been working on bitcoin mining compatibility for our drivers.  The pre-order offer which you are discussing is meant to provide these people early access to our hardware.  Our public announcement will come in roughly two weeks.  Why not now?  Because we're not ready.

Regarding the press release draft someone found, we didn't know about that until it was mentioned here, thanks for that.  It seems one of our staff used an online PR generator several weeks ago in preparation for our announcements.  Apparently it auto published a draft along with a link for penis enlargement.  Excellent.  Luckily, they pulled it down on request.  I sincerely thank you all for this heads up.  It could have been more embarrassing than it was.

Regarding the server enclosure, yes it is indeed a server enclosure that we don't manufacture.  I'm not sure what the controversy is as we haven't falsely claimed to be a server enclosure manufacturer.  (Having said that, we actually do make aluminum enclosures, just small ones.)  The Rig Box product will be a lower volume production so we felt it would be more cost effective to use off the shelf parts.  I believe the site you found the enclosure on is a supplier to OEM's like us.  However, we don't buy ours from them because they're too expensive.  In any case, to clarify further...   we may not even use that enclosure in the end due to spacing considerations.  We simply haven't finalized the engineering.  That is also why there is no across the board pricing, performance or release specifications set in stone on our website for the Rig Box based products.  So, in sum...  please be patient and you can properly bash us when we're finished.

Why do we have a rendering of a PCB on the website?  Mostly because it looks pretty good.  If a picture of a PCB is needed for analysis by engineers in the crowd in order to become comfortable with us, then I invite you to take a look at these photos of our actual October production of Pre-Order units.  Yes, they may be Photoshop images...  and then again maybe they're not.  Smiley

Guys, I may not be here every day, but I'll stop by frequently enough to answer your questions.  In sum, I'm glad to meet you all and I trust you will come to appreciate our products over the coming months as we reveal the complete technical details.

Regards,
BFL

Butterfly Labs  -  www.butterflylabs.com  -  Bitcoin Mining Hardware
CanaryInTheMine
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2011, 12:18:12 AM

Hmmmm... How about them apples?
RandyFolds

Activity: 448

View Profile
October 21, 2011, 12:32:19 AM

Hmmmm... How about them apples?

Indeed. The plot has thickened...
worldinacoin

Activity: 756

View Profile
October 21, 2011, 12:54:46 AM

I would like to be another Canary, how do I go about ordering one piece?  Is it possible if i pay half first once it is ok I pay another half? 
CanaryInTheMine
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2011, 01:01:26 AM

I would like to be another Canary, how do I go about ordering one piece?  Is it possible if i pay half first once it is ok I pay another half? 
from their website
worldinacoin

Activity: 756

View Profile
October 21, 2011, 01:02:46 AM

Hi Canary I, you placed your order?  Expected delivery and testing?
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ... 62 »
  Print  

Jump to: