Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 04:39:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 »
  Print  
Author Topic: 1GH/s, 20w, $500 — Butterflylabs, is it a scam?  (Read 123037 times)
sadpandatech

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 03:33:00 AM

Got a reply and its pretty definitive:

"No, they are not

Chad Sorensen

Sent from my iPhone"

I think this proves it folks. Its a scam as I and others have been saying.

As per my previous post instead of betting on this, if you would like to send a donation as a thank you for getting to the bottom of this my wallet address is 1LYme1ZD82VuvwGj4Zi7scrjRBuQnciyKK

DO NOT SEND THEM ANYMORE MONEY!

IF YOU SENT THEM MONEY TRY AND GET IT BACK ASAP

Sorry folks, if its too good to be true it probably is.

WTH are you talking about? And, what did you get to the bottom of exactly? ;p

Scam or not, the legitimacy of a company registration has zero value on the list of 'Proof this is a scam'.....................

and go look up, 'Registered Agent'.  In fact, you will find my wife is a registered agent for atleast 3 companies with her address and zero connection to the actual business the companies perform other than that fact.. It is not a smoking gun......

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 03:56:03 AM

"No, they are not

Chad Sorensen

Sent from my iPhone"

No they are not what?  It might help if you posted the actual email.  Who did you email? what did you ask?

As per my previous post instead of betting on this, if you would like to send a donation as a thank you for getting to the bottom of this my wallet address is 1LYme1ZD82VuvwGj4Zi7scrjRBuQnciyKK

This comes off as utterly lame.  50+ pages of talk about a scam.  Hell the original post is this is a scam and YOU are asking for money.  Shit makes me think you are the scam.
bittenbob

Activity: 560

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 03:58:41 AM

"No, they are not

Chad Sorensen

Sent from my iPhone"

Scam or not, the legitimacy of a company registration has zero value on the list of 'Proof this is a scam'.....................

and go look up, 'Registered Agent'.  In fact, you will find my wife is a registered agent for atleast 3 companies with her address and zero connection to the actual business the companies perform other than that fact.. It is not a smoking gun......

You are clearly in denial here sir. The first address provided is a residential address for welfare recipients. The other so called proof that is a business is a company that says BF Labs Inc does not exist to their registered address. Two different cities, two different fake addresses. Sounds like a smoking gun to a scam to me and about as much as you can until they disappear from the internet with everyones money.

Your lack of willingness to believe this is a scam based on this post and your other posts (I have read the entire thread to come to this conclusion) means you probably sunk $500 or more into this and are hoping it isnt true. I too have had this denial when I was scammed in the past. If it were legit there would be proof by now. By coming on here and making people believe it is legit they are just trying to lure in more victims and I bet they have been successful.

The 100 only limit is a great idea for a scammer. Put a limited quantity of a too good to be true product and people will be rushing to buy it.

Don't take my word for it if you want but you will be sorry.
bittenbob

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 04:01:21 AM

"No, they are not

Chad Sorensen

Sent from my iPhone"

No they are not what?  It might help if you posted the actual email.  Who did you email? what did you ask?

This comes off as utterly lame.  50+ pages of talk about a scam.  Hell the original post is this is a scam and YOU are asking for money.  Shit makes me think you are the scam.

HAHAHAHAHAH YEAH I AM A SCAMMER?

I am merely trying to help the gullable. Don't send money I dont care but I figured it couldnt hurt. I havent received anything except what I have mined myself and you can verify that in block explorer. I just figured it couldnt hurt.

Your ease at which you try and insult and discredit me only makes me believe you have sunk money into this scam and are hoping it isnt.
bittenbob

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 04:05:54 AM

Look at the pictures with the lady from the update... If she is a so called ninja guru why would she be holding a soldering iron at 800F so close to her hand? Its very easy to get some fake boards and the more elaborate the hoax the more willing people will be to believe it. Someone has been offering for weeks to come over and verify that this is real and they live across the street from the KC address.

This entire hoax could have been done for under $1000 and anyone with any technical knowledge about FPGA's and ASIC could easily pull this off. I personally know a dozen people off hand that could do this easily and probably would if they thought of it first.

Like I said before if I am wrong I will eat my dirty socks. If it sounds like a duck, walks like a duck, talks like a duck... its probably a duck.
sadpandatech

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 04:06:15 AM

"No, they are not

Chad Sorensen

Sent from my iPhone"

You are clearly in denial here sir. The first address provided is a residential address for welfare recipients. The other so called proof that is a business is a company that says BF Labs Inc does not exist to their registered address. Two different cities, two different fake addresses. Sounds like a smoking gun to a scam to me and about as much as you can until they disappear from the internet with everyones money.

Your lack of willingness to believe this is a scam based on this post and your other posts (I have read the entire thread to come to this conclusion) means you probably sunk $500 or more into this and are hoping it isnt true. I too have had this denial when I was scammed in the past. If it were legit there would be proof by now. By coming on here and making people believe it is legit they are just trying to lure in more victims and I bet they have been successful.

The 100 only limit is a great idea for a scammer. Put a limited quantity of a too good to be true product and people will be rushing to buy it.

Don't take my word for it if you want but you will be sorry.

I have sent a grand, whopping total of $0 to anyone in relation to BFL. My interest is purely academic.  And, If you read the entire thread you would have seen that I made a few points that tell me you read jack shit.. One, that is Chamber's Lofts 'ACCEPTS" welfare. That is not to say that ONLY welfare recipients live there. Two, take the few friggin seconds to research what a 'registered agent' is. It means that person's name and address will be on file for the company and not the address of the company.  My arguement with you on that has nothing to do with my belief in BFL, but just to inform you of your ignorance on the subject.  And three, it 'appears' that Chambers Lofts also has office space for rent. Which, if you read my posts you will see I posted a link to the Leasing Agent for this locations. Fucking grab the damn phone and call her and ask if it is welfare only and has no office space.....

And stop fucking trolling me.

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 04:08:26 AM

Your ease at which you try and insult and discredit me only makes me believe you have sunk money into this scam and are hoping it isnt.

Try reading the thread from the beginning and you will see how wrong you are.  Lots of people pointed out the possibility of a scam, you were the only one lame enough to spam a request for money in each post.
bittenbob

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 04:09:59 AM

Try reading the thread from the beginning and you will see how wrong you are.  Lots of people pointed out the possibility of a scam, you were the only one lame enough to spam a request for money in each post.

Two posts and only once I had shown that it was a scam. Hardly spamming.

Look at the photo of the lady again and look at the shadows on the chips. They just dont make sense and there are no way those are real. I work on electronics myself and I know this is fake.

Keep on trying to discredit me to tell yourself that your money is safe though. By all means.

Edit:

I read every single post before I posted the first time. How else could I have gotten to so called registration from half way through the thread. Its called denial and you are in it.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 04:11:04 AM

bittenbob, why is it that I have the feeling that you are one of the other FPGA developers in this forum who registered a new account just to come to this thread and say it is a scam until everybody is convinced it really is a scam because you are afraid that butterfly labs will kill your current business?

Looking at your post history, as soon as you could get out of newbie jail you came right to this thread, highly suspicious if you ask me... Roll Eyes

Just man up and use your real account.
bittenbob

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 04:15:51 AM

bittenbob, why is it that I have the feeling that you are one of the other FPGA developers in this forum that registered a new account just to come to this thread and say it is a scam until everybody is convinced because you are afraid that butterfly labs will kill your current business?

Looking at your post history, as soon as you could get out of newbie jail you came right to this thread, highly suspicious if you ask me... Roll Eyes

Look at my posts. I jsut started mining a week ago and am running a single 6950. I do not make FPGA boards, in fact I test solar panels. This is my real account. Deal with it and grow up.

I am trying to help you in telling you to get your money back. Let the scammers have it though, I do not care. Actually at this point I think it would look good on you.
grubles

Activity: 180
Merit: 100

mistaken for gribble since 2011

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 04:16:01 AM

Try reading the thread from the beginning and you will see how wrong you are.  Lots of people pointed out the possibility of a scam, you were the only one lame enough to spam a request for money in each post.

Look at the photo of the lady again and look at the shadows on the chips. They just dont make sense and there are no way those are real. I work on electronics myself and I know this is fake.

Keep on trying to discredit me to tell yourself that your money is safe though. By all means.

Edit:

I read every single post before I posted the first time. How else could I have gotten to so called registration from half way through the thread. Its called denial and you are in it.

Hah, the shadow idea reminds me of people who think we lied about going to the moon.

BM-NBi5PcH8BBqDVp7WSJe2pNgqEVvTjd6T
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1065

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 04:17:14 AM

OK, this thread is fascinating. So I'm placing a bet with myself on how this device might work:

1) They optimized the SHA256 hashers for a different objective: maximum hash per sec per square millimeter using a heavilly rolled design, possibly even microcoded custom CPU. This would be unlike anyone else here on this board who did maximum unrolling for the maximum hash speed with no chip space constraints.
2) They filled some very expensive FPGA device with a sea of thos ultra-compact hashers and they are working on the distribution/collection logic.
3) They sourced some small quantity of defective FPGA devices of the type above and working on a suitable test vectors to identify those of them that can still be profitably employed despite only a portion of the chip operating correctly.
4) They need to grind-off any chip markings that would allow identifying their source for the defective chips.
Because of the grey-market chip source and the need for grinding the whole operation makes sense only as a small-time hush-hush enterprise.

So this is my hypothesis. Is there anyone here who's really familiar with the current black-market for the defective and out-of-spec silicon? If so, please post your speculation with a new account through Tor or some other proxy.

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
Long-term mining prognosis: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91101.0
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 04:19:42 AM

bittenbob, why is it that I have the feeling that you are one of the other FPGA developers in this forum that registered a new account just to come to this thread and say it is a scam until everybody is convinced because you are afraid that butterfly labs will kill your current business?

Look at my posts. I jsut started mining a week ago and am running a single 6950. I do not make FPGA boards, in fact I test solar panels. This is my real account. Deal with it and grow up.

I am trying to help you in telling you to get your money back. Let the scammers have it though, I do not care. Actually at this point I think it would look good on you.

Helping me? I'm not even a miner...  Roll Eyes As far as helping others, you might, but i seriously doubt it. You are only trying to help yourself.

Fuck, I've jumped the gun and called scammer to some dudes to warn other people, but i never had the nerve to ask them for money, just like you did. lol

BTW, if you eat your dirty socks we want it on video...
bittenbob

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 04:21:43 AM

Edit:

Hah, the shadow idea reminds me of people who think we lied about going to the moon.

I know we went to the moon. We can confirm this by bouncing lasers off the moon that were placed there on the apollo missions. This is called definitive proof.

I am not saying what they are claiming is impossible just that every aspect about this whole thing sounds like a scam. Especially the 100 units only being available for pre-order. This creates a sense of urgency to buy the item before quantities run out.

I have said it before and I will say it again. If I am wrong I will eat my dirty socks (and I have pretty bad foot odor). If I am right then what will you who think this is legit despite the mounting evidence do? My guess is nothing.
bittenbob

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 04:26:22 AM

Helping me? I'm not even a miner...  Roll Eyes As far as helping others, you might, but i seriously doubt it. You are only trying to help yourself.

Fuck, I've jumped the gun and called scammer to some dudes to warn other people, but i never had the nerve to ask them for money, just like you did. lol

There is no nerve at all... Would you feel better if I remove the address all together? I will gladly do this but under the condition you pay me 100 BTC if I am right. I did not by any means jump to say they are scammers. I looked at the evidence and did some research myself. All of which pointed to that it is a scam. Like I replied to the other person, I believe we landed on the moon because we can bounce lasers off mirros left there by the apollo mission. Its called facts and its the only thing I believe in (I do testing and certification - I hear claims all the time that don't add up).

Just for good faith I will remove one of the addresses to my wallet so you can stop bitching. I do not care about the money and I only want to prevent people from falling victim to this elaborate hoax. Check those posts 5 minutes from now and one of the references to my wallet will be gone.
sadpandatech

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 04:28:03 AM

OK, this thread is fascinating. So I'm placing a bet with myself on how this device might work:

1) They optimized the SHA256 hashers for a different objective: maximum hash per sec per square millimeter using a heavilly rolled design, possibly even microcoded custom CPU. This would be unlike anyone else here on this board who did maximum unrolling for the maximum hash speed with no chip space constraints.
2) They filled some very expensive FPGA device with a sea of thos ultra-compact hashers and they are working on the distribution/collection logic.
3) They sourced some small quantity of defective FPGA devices of the type above and working on a suitable test vectors to identify those of them that can still be profitably employed despite only a portion of the chip operating correctly.
4) They need to grind-off any chip markings that would allow identifying their source for the defective chips.
Because of the grey-market chip source and the need for grinding the whole operation makes sense only as a small-time hush-hush enterprise.

So this is my hypothesis. Is there anyone here who's really familiar with the current black-market for the defective and out-of-spec silicon? If so, please post your speculation with a new account through Tor or some other proxy.

Very interesting ideas indeed. There are CPUs in the market now by VIA that atleast partly do some sha. I sent VIA an email to ask about which chips had the capability and more importantly to inquire if they made one that solely did sha-1 or sha-256. Here was their response;
  " Hello,  Thank you for your interest in VIA. C3/C7/Eden/VIA Nano/VIA Nano x2/VIA Eden X2/VIA QuadCore processor have this function, we don’t build chips that could solely perform this function  Thank you for your cooperation and for your interest in VIA Technologies, Inc.; please let me know if you need any further information, Best regards, CPU Platform MarketingVIA Technologies, INC"

Their chips are ultra cheap. It certainly made me wonder how far a stretch it would be for them to build one that was fully designed to hash. Seems they already have the know how and research done for the architecture. Just need to expand it now. ;p  *dreams*

P.S.  To the haters; I apologize if I come off mean. But, there is no harm in one dreaming. Especially if that one does not 'pay' for dreams. ;p

Cheers,
       Derek

- GA

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 04:29:46 AM

Stopped reading on the part you asked me for 100BTC... really? lol
sadpandatech

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 04:30:09 AM

There is no nerve at all... Would you feel better if I remove the address all together? I will gladly do this but under the condition you pay me 100 BTC if I am right.

Oh, Oh, do I smell another Gentlemens bet brewing? =)

- GA

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 04:31:37 AM

That will not happen as I'm not a gambler.

And what he proposed wasn't even a bet, he just said I would give him 100BTC if he was right, he didn't say how much would he give me if he was wrong, and I would not accept his dirty sock diner video for payment...
sadpandatech

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 04:32:34 AM

That will not happen as I'm not a gambler.
  Me either, but what's a few BTC amongst forum goers? ;p

- GA

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 »
  Print  

Jump to: