Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 05:50:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 [211] 212 213 214 215 216 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] [888] [SCRYPT] OctoCoin ◦ The Power of Eight ◦ Don't Blink  (Read 297651 times)
OCTOPARTY

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2015, 04:00:59 AM

Don't forget that this Saturday is the last day you can donate BTC towards the squarespace website. Goal is 1.5 BTC and we are currently at .7 with a .1 payout to the block explorer. Balance is .6 BTC.

Donators receive:

50000, 75000 or 100000 OCTO split between all donators
OCTOFAME token
OCTO Wall of Fame listing on the OP and website
entry into the drawing for an OCTO tee when we launch them
future OCTOFAME benefits when they come out

I know one person committed to getting us to the 1.5 BTC. However, the more people that donate the bigger the pot grows and 100,000 will be split. Plus that's more OCTOFAME tokens issued and members on the Wall of Fame.

Remember, that you guys will be issued the OCTO and OCTOFAME before the burn OCTO is issued. So, you will be able to access the LTB forums before any other burners!

Thanks!

P.S. Donators on the wall of fame can begin PMing me your Counterwallet addresses so that I can send out the OCTO and OCTOFAME tokens after Saturday. I will be driving to Florida on Sunday so maybe by Monday night?
barbados-fs

Activity: 837
Merit: 505

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 07:18:37 PM

Help please. When you try to install a new version OctoCoin-QT v1.8.0.0-octoX of a critical error occurs and the program closes. I think he does not like that in the installation path has russkme letters

C:\Users\Eвгeний\AppData\Roaming\OctoCoin

The old version v1.0.0.1a is not synchronized.

What should I do?

"Coздaть ceнcopнyю ceть гopoдa - этo нe дopoгo, нe cлoжнo и пo cooтнoшeнию зaтpaты / эффeкт для гopoдa - нeoцeнимo! He нyжнo ждaть пoкa кopпopaции и гocyдapcтвa cдeлaют тaкиe ceнcopныe ceти и бyдyт иx oбcлyживaть - этo бyдeт дopoгo и бyдeт coбиpaть бoльшe дaнныx o нac c вaми, чeм мы бы этoгo xoтeли!" (c)Aira.life
OCTOPARTY

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2015, 07:25:38 PM

Help please. When you try to install a new version OctoCoin-QT v1.8.0.0-octoX of a critical error occurs and the program closes. I think he does not like that in the installation path has russkme letters

What should I do?

Did you just download the wallet from https://octocoin.org/#downloads ?

If so, have you recently scanned your pc for viruses? Also, can you scan just that file for viruses? We do not have control of the website, the original devs or possibly another person does.

Please let us know. I have not heard of anyone else having this issue. I personally have had the second wallet PC version since it came out.

SquidsIn

Activity: 236
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 04:06:53 PM

What should I do?

The qt.exe will take a parameter (-datadir) which specifies the data directory.  If it doesn't like your folder with Russian letters you can move your wallet and contents of your existing Octocoin data folder to a new one and then run the QT with the -datadir paramter like this;

Code:
"C:\your_Path_To_OctoCoin_Qt\octocoin-qt.exe" -datadir=c:\your_new_data_directory

Since getting into Cryptocurrency I've had many bags, all but two have varied over time.  Those are the two I see in the mirror where my eyes once shone.
th0ms0n

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 07:22:49 PM

(my problem solved and msg removed)
888coin

Activity: 63

View Profile
March 03, 2015, 11:24:59 AM

What if I choose not to burn my coins?
OCTOPARTY

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2015, 01:46:01 PM

you do not have to burn your coins. this coin will still be here. the blockchain will still be going. there are still some places to mine this blockchain. depending on how many coins are burned there will still be millions of coins left on this blockchain. i have no idea what plans other people working on this blockchain have, i'd message them if you have questions regarding that. but at the moment, anyone can come along and develop anything they want for octocoin.
neleonele

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

member of GameCredits Dev team

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2015, 10:26:10 AM

Hi all,
I have a problem with octowallet v1.0.0.1,not sync....
stuck at 94418 block.
any idea?

Thanks

Nele

SquidsIn

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 12:46:26 PM

Hi all,
stuck at 94418 block.
any idea?

Thanks

Nele

That's about 20k blocks after the mandatory update for the hardfork last year at block 75888...

Launching Launched Mar 08, 2014 at 18:08 (UTC)
Hardforked Monday, May 26th 2014

»OctoCoin 1.8.0.0 Released - Mandatory Update
»Hardforked on May 26th, 2014 [Block 75,888]*

<SNIP>
</SNIP>

I guess it's feasible you're at the end of a dead-end fork?

The version I have is v1.8.0.0-octoX, currently on block 313823

Since getting into Cryptocurrency I've had many bags, all but two have varied over time.  Those are the two I see in the mirror where my eyes once shone.
888coin

Activity: 63

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 03:38:09 PM

you do not have to burn your coins. this coin will still be here. the blockchain will still be going. there are still some places to mine this blockchain. depending on how many coins are burned there will still be millions of coins left on this blockchain. i have no idea what plans other people working on this blockchain have, i'd message them if you have questions regarding that. but at the moment, anyone can come along and develop anything they want for octocoin.

Thanks for the information.

From this point I think I'm not going to burn my coins because I still like 888 which is mineable and I just don't like working with Counterparty which has a web wallet only (no QT client).

And it seems OCTO will simply make 888 a more rare coin. Smiley

For others who also choose not to burn their coins, there is an exchange we may go voting here:

https://cryptoine.com/voting

neleonele

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

member of GameCredits Dev team

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2015, 04:12:33 PM

Hi all,
stuck at 94418 block.
any idea?

Thanks

Nele

That's about 20k blocks after the mandatory update for the hardfork last year at block 75888...

<SNIP>
</SNIP>

octocoin.org is not secure anymore!

SquidsIn

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 01:08:58 AM

Hi all,
stuck at 94418 block.
any idea?

Thanks

Nele

<SNIP>
</SNIP>

octocoin.org is not secure anymore!

That message most likely means the site's certificate is expired.  If that's all it is then it just means anything sent between your browser and the site is not encrypted.  Since you're not sending any personal details or passwords and you're just downloading a client you should be OK.  Check the downloaded file at https://www.virustotal.com/ to be on the safe side.

SquidsIn

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 01:18:01 AM

From this point I think I'm not going to burn my coins because I still like 888 which is mineable and I just don't like working with Counterparty which has a web wallet only (no QT client).

For others who also choose not to burn their coins, there is an exchange we may go voting here:

spoken like a true bholzer.

each to their own, but who's going to maintain the wallet? and the huge premine will mean that the proportion of coins held by the original dev(s) compared to other holders will be significantly weighted in favour of the dev.

OCTOPARTY

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2015, 04:29:31 AM
Last edit: March 07, 2015, 12:41:05 PM by OCTOPARTY

1. OCTO will be mineable for a very long time. FoldingCoin will distribute OCTO via folding@home where users donate computer power to Stanford University. They already distribute their own coin FLDC along with POWCoin and ScotCoin who are alts that are now on Counterparty. The amount we distribute will be determined by the amount that is burned and the amounts we wish to distribute in other ways. However, it will be for a long time period and will be at least 20 million of the 88.8 million total, maybe more, depending on community input.

2. Counterparty already has Counterwallet which is a web wallet but they also have Counterwallet-D which is command line. You can also do a paper wallet. You can also sweep a Counterwallet address into a regular Bitcoin-QT wallet and lose Counterparty functionality, but when you sweep it back into a regular Counterparty wallet all assets and functionality will be there.

3. Counterparty is developing a desktop wallet since many do not like or trust web wallets. See http://counterparty.io/news/counterparty-development-update-10/

4. March 6th Counterparty update says the desktop wallet is in final testing mode. It will come sooner than you probably think Smiley see March 6 update: http://counterparty.io/news/counterparty-update-mar-6/

Thanks for your input. We don't need nor want every person to come to Counterparty. In fact, for a fair distribution, the less people that burn, the less we hold, the more fair of a distribution we will have with the merged mining with FoldingCoin, crowd sales, and other forms of distribution.

However, Just having a lower available coin count now does nothing for Octocoin. There will be very little of the community left and a left for dead blockchain it appears. Good luck to anyone who stays here. We will see, what, if anything happens to Octocoin. I hope somebody does come along and fix it for anyone still holding. Because the way they left it in late 2014 was a great disservice.

Seeya guys!
OCTOPARTY

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2015, 01:36:50 PM

spoken like a true bholzer.

each to their own, but who's going to maintain the wallet? and the huge premine will mean that the proportion of coins held by the original dev(s) compared to other holders will be significantly weighted in favour of the dev.

i have a feeling the devs are going to burn their coins. so even they don't appear to have any faith in the original blockchain. i've tried following the trail and even had assistance from others. it's just too much to follow and too many addresses to try to block. i don't think they have burned any and maybe they won't. i just know there's been quite a bit of movement. i think that speaks to the state that the original blockchain will be once this burn happens.

i'm more concerned with some people who i thought were large holders who don't appear to have burned yet. however, messages were sent out to all posters and there's been a few months of talk about plans and there has been a roughly 2 week burn.

in reality we don't want all 41 million burned. it would be too lopsided for a fair distribution and it would be hard to gain investors down the road. in reality even with burn and merged mining, it would be a hard sell to get people to even buy in bulk at a discount in a crowd sale. luckily, there will be other perks and tokens given to the buyers to sweeten the pot.

thanks for all your input. i'm glad we have had quite a few in the community step up with their input and help. you, GW and all the donators to the fund are the ones who helped make this happen smoothly and quickly. i think we all have lives, jobs and family's so i like when people pitch in where they can.

guys, we really need to start thinking next step. we need opinions on the merged mining distribution. mining gives everyone a chance to use their GPU and CPU, no asics, and donate to a good cause to receive OCTO. it needs to be a good size of the coin and for a semi-long term. i personally have decided that 8 years is a good time. crypto will change so much, so who knows even in 8 years where we will be. we can do it for longer if the community wants. you can even set it up to just keep halving an kinda mine forever. i'm not sure what the best way is. i was originally thinking about a split between burn/mining/crowd sale/other as a 20/20/20/28.8 as a basic theory. however, we didn't know what the burn total would be. i was even scared that it would reach in the 30-40 million range in which it would be hard not to give a equal sale amount. it's safe to say at this point we prolly won't even hit close to 30. it gives us more flexibility. if we do a 15 burn then you could think more in line with 15burn/15crowdsale1/15crowdsale2/25mining/18.8million other.

the crowd sales would fund projects. the first project i'm already laying out. the second project, honestly, i'm hoping that  someone else will come along with a great idea the community wants to see and we rally around them and raise some money for them to make it happen. now one thing that's important to remember, to keep funding more projects after the crowd sales we will have to establish funds for future projects past 2. so they have to be good ideas that can make profits and keep the wheel of projects turning. i think this first project will be a good money maker. but project 2 has to be something that can spurn funding as well. if we keep a % of profits out to fund projects between 2 profitable projects we may be able to fund at least 1 new project a year and maybe more Smiley that would be awesome to grow and supply jobs. if the first project is successful, it should keep a few people working full time.

another thing to consider is the other section of distribution. other will include payouts to other counterparty asset holders as advertising, payouts to community for bounties, payouts to developers, sponsorships, etc.

one really bright note: of the coins i am burning, 250,000 was donated to me anonymously with the instruction to set up a developers fund. so out of the total burn amount, we already have a large amount to the devs without even distributing new OCTO for that purpose. we will post the address that hosts the developers fund and i'm sure more in the OCTO community will donate some small amounts over time. but some will have to come from the OCTO distribution.

if we just use the example of 25 million by 8 years for FoldingCoin merged mining:

3,125,000 per year
260,416 per month
60,096.1538 per week
8,585.16484 per day
357.715201 per hour

that's an even distribution. we could set it up over an 8 year period however we like. we could reward these early miners with a slightly larger payout. we could set it up to halve every year until 8 years is up. we have lots of options.

i am looking for community input on this. as burners and the original community we have the power to decide the distribution. remember, longer period and slower builds the total available slowly as the number of people begin to use OCTO.

OCTOPARTY

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2015, 06:19:21 AM

Burn ending Sunday night. Merged mining with FoldingCoin starting Monday. Details coming tomorrow.
soundslave

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 08:39:24 AM

OCTOPARTY, thanks a lot for the answers on my question about the burn.

I wanted to burn my 888 now, but I see some strange stuff on blockexplorer, so it's probably better to ask before I send my coins to the burn address.

I managed to collect/mine 259390 coins  Cool

I have 2 wallets - today when I stopped mining and got all the comfirmations I sent all my octo (transactions smaller than 50000) to my second wallet, and then back to the first one.

Transactions were comfirmed but not visible in block explorer, so i sent all my octo in one TX to myself too - check the pics below.

Now the TX is visible on blockexplorer, but the transactions have no history: http://blockexperts.com/888/height/315435  Huh

What should I do? Should I send my octo to burn and give my sending address 8LF9EHBcgsPomS5BMLArtamxba1sWMY4z8 ? Block explorer shows nothing: http://blockexperts.com/888/height/8LF9EHBcgsPomS5BMLArtamxba1sWMY4z8

Wallet screens:
http://s27.postimg.org/617i0iy1f/octo_wat.png
http://s14.postimg.org/x06ro7rqp/octo_wat_2.png

Thanks again for the help,
soundslave
soundslave

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 08:52:30 AM

I wanted to burn my 888 now, but I see some strange stuff on blockexplorer, so it's probably better to ask before I send my coins to the burn address.

I managed to collect/mine 259390 coins  Cool

I have 2 wallets - today when I stopped mining and got all the comfirmations I sent all my octo (transactions smaller than 50000) to my second wallet, and then back to the first one.

Transactions were comfirmed but not visible in block explorer, so i sent all my octo in one TX to myself too - check the pics below.

Now the TX is visible on blockexplorer, but the transactions have no history: http://blockexperts.com/888/height/315435  Huh

What should I do? Should I send my octo to burn and give my sending address 8LF9EHBcgsPomS5BMLArtamxba1sWMY4z8 ? Block explorer shows nothing: http://blockexperts.com/888/height/8LF9EHBcgsPomS5BMLArtamxba1sWMY4z8

Wallet screens:

soundslave

In the meantime, the transactions appeared. Everything OK. Burning now, http://blockexperts.com/888/address/8XmBJqGesQ1aXDAjr1bVDPTh66MPE9dHix  Cool
soundslave

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 11:16:10 AM

I managed to collect/mine 259390 coins  Cool

Now the TX is visible on blockexplorer, but the transactions have no history: http://blockexperts.com/888/height/315435  Huh

Wallet screens:

soundslave

In the meantime, the transactions appeared. Everything OK. Burning now, http://blockexperts.com/888/address/8XmBJqGesQ1aXDAjr1bVDPTh66MPE9dHix  Cool

Woohoo, done: http://blockexperts.com/888/tx/284ae8a7081610546174a1fb6e32e04efacadb1b2888c0b17a8d3c61fa0c7982  Cool
OCTOPARTY

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2015, 01:30:10 PM

Haha. Sorry Soundslave, I was sleeping Smiley

Yeah, this block explorer is a good. It is a little slow to show transactions but it does catch up on the explorer within a few blocks Smiley
Pages: « 1 ... 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 [211] 212 213 214 215 216 »
  Print  

Jump to: