Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 04:22:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 [162] 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 ... 216 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] [888] [SCRYPT] OctoCoin ◦ The Power of Eight ◦ Don't Blink  (Read 297646 times)
frameLAlife

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

Yessir.

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2014, 12:40:00 AM

Soooooo, here's a crazy conspiracy theory...

A bunch of Angel investors sees some good money being made in crypto-currency, spots an opportunity to make a fast "buck" by buying a shit load of GPU's and setting up an industrial scale commercial mining farm.  Back in April when this all started there were very few of these around and what there was would have been smaller scale and/or largely SHA-256 focused.  There's money to be made in Scrypt where there's a massive explosion in Litecoin cloned shitcoins and ASICs won't be around for months yet (oh, the benefit of hindsight).

The Angel investors set up a mining pool to gain some community trust and credibiity before they start renting out their hash power.  They create a coin (or maybe more?) which they can hype and pump and create demand for hashes.  They even dream up some use cases and utility for it, after all, they're going to make so much money they'll be able to invest some in projects for their coin that will make them even more.

fast forward a few weeks, those pesky Chinese have gone and cracked Scrypt ASIC's, the bottom starts to fall out of the market for Scrypt mining with GPU's as the returns no longer justify the running costs, bang goes the hash rental business.  We have already heard something about this which lends credibility to at least this part of the crazy conspiracy theory.

The investment made by the Angel Investors is never going to yield a return and consequently there are no funds to develop their coin ideas and market them, development continues (we hope) but at a much much slower pace.

Told you it was crazy Grin

Sorry guys, excuse my cynicism at this juncture but unless there's a dramatic turnaround pretty damn soon then we're flogging a dead horse here.  If I turn out to be wrong on that then I'll be happy to come to Vegas, wear an Octo-Pussy t-shirt and hang my head in shame.

Maybe a conspiracy but a solid thought process in it all Smiley OctoPussy!!

www.ptcrypto.com YOUR Bitcoin consultants!
BTC 13TQitBTzADXpYsDMRjDqFuGaw8m1JZ2YE
frameLAlife

Yessir.

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2014, 01:14:56 AM

http://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/blog/techflash/2014/03/seattles-alliance-of-angels-an-angel-among-angels.html?page=all

Seattle's Alliance of Angels an angel among angels, one of largest investors in U.S.

The most active angel groups in order of activity are:
1. Golden Seeds, based in California, Massachusetts and New York.
2. Tech Coast Angels, based in Southern California
3. Houston Angel Network, based in Houston, Texas
4. Central Texas Angel Network, based in Austin, Texas
5. Sand Hill Angels, based in Sunnyvale, Calif.
6. Launchpad Venture Group, based in Boston, Mass.
7. New York Angels, based in New York City.
8. Desert Angels, based in Tucson, Ariz.
9. Investors’ Circle, a national group.
10. Alliance of Angels, based in Seattle.

frameLAlife

Yessir.

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2014, 01:16:20 AM

not to be confused with....

https://www.kabam.com/games/angel-alliance

lol

syncsam

Activity: 172
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 02:59:56 AM

Basically I have given up trying to guess what they are doing, until something tangible comes out my gamble is a loser, but hope it changes to  a winner in the not too distant future  Huh
frameLAlife

Yessir.

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2014, 03:07:29 AM

Basically I have given up trying to guess what they are doing, until something tangible comes out my gamble is a loser, but hope it changes to  a winner in the not too distant future  Huh

There's only a few alts and Bitcoin 2.0 platforms that I truly believe in and sometimes it's hard to keep faith even in those. When I start to doubt crypto in general because of the risk, maturity level and negatives you have to deal with, I always ask myself: How would I have been 6 months - 1 year into Bitcoin. Those early days must have been rough for most. I try to keep that perspective on many of the alts and Bitcoin 2.0 platforms. For many, this is just the beginning. Hell, for Bitcoin this is just the beginning.

syncsam

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 03:40:28 AM
Last edit: September 12, 2014, 03:52:59 AM by syncsam

Basically I have given up trying to guess what they are doing, until something tangible comes out my gamble is a loser, but hope it changes to  a winner in the not too distant future  Huh

There's only a few alts and Bitcoin 2.0 platforms that I truly believe in and sometimes it's hard to keep faith even in those. When I start to doubt crypto in general because of the risk, maturity level and negatives you have to deal with, I always ask myself: How would I have been 6 months - 1 year into Bitcoin. Those early days must have been rough for most. I try to keep that perspective on many of the alts and Bitcoin 2.0 platforms. For many, this is just the beginning. Hell, for Bitcoin this is just the beginning.

its not crypto in general its just this coin. I chose how much I was prepared to gamble, and I will keep them down to zero. what I mean is how much do you actually know about the team? How much do you know their plans? add to the fact that that they haven't been able to keep their own deadlines on more then one occasion.  I think you would have to be nieve in the current state of affairs to keep saying it going to be a winner. I mean look at bholzers last post, missed two teleconference calls and even he who has been on the some of the conference calls with fusion hash doesn't really know who they are or what their plans are

<edit> bit like god, elusive and never comes through for you  (censored version)
frameLAlife

Yessir.

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2014, 04:06:17 AM

Basically I have given up trying to guess what they are doing, until something tangible comes out my gamble is a loser, but hope it changes to  a winner in the not too distant future  Huh

its not crypto in general its just this coin. I chose how much I was prepared to gamble, and I will keep them down to zero. what I mean is how much do you actually know about the team? How much do you know their plans? add to the fact that that they haven't been able to keep their own deadlines on more then one occasion.  I think you would have to be nieve in the current state of affairs to keep saying it going to be a winner. I mean look at bholzers last post, missed two teleconference calls and even he who has been on the some of the conference calls with fusion hash doesn't really know who they are or what their plans are

<edit> bit like god, elusive and never comes through for you  (censored version)

you know, it's all part of the game. only invest what you can afford to lose. there is risk and many more transparent coins out there. i have stopped buying Octo because I reached the goal I set at 200,000 Octocoins. Now I'm moving on to the next coin to invest in. I'm not saying I won't buy anymore Octo, it's just that I reached my goal so it frees me up to move on. I'm sure I'll grab some random amounts here and there.

I understand everything you are saying though. You never know.

peterw

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 04:26:07 AM

you know, it's all part of the game. only invest what you can afford to lose.

See, I hear that. And I've done that. But that doesn't give the devs a free pass to act without regard for us.

It will affect my life if I lose what I've invested. I'll be OK, but still, aspects of my life will be affected.

After all the devs have written, I'm just at a loss at how they are acting. I don't understand them. They don't seem to be trying to cheat us really, I don't think, but they do seem to not care about us at all, despite what they write.
shellbunner

Activity: 266

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 04:59:24 AM

This whole Octocoin story keeps getting more and more interesting as time goes on. I would be lying if I said I didn't enjoy the mystery and uncertainty. We're all just gambling and maybe we'll win or maybe we won't. I have only invested (gambled) what I can afford to lose so I understand that my feelings are probably not shared by most. I've gotta say this has been quite a fun 6 months and I can't wait to see what's in store.  Grin
brianbbad

Activity: 423

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 06:08:35 AM

It's frustrating when there are long gaps in communication and missed deadlines, but IMO it's better to just do something productive instead of sitting around going "when? why? wtf?"

For example, I've done a bunch of tweeting, emailing, in-person promoting, etc. on behalf of Murraycoin during the slow periods; my technology skills are limited (just started Java Programming 102 this semester, and any websites I've ever made have been super sloppy) so I don't have a whole lot to contribute, but I see no point in being overly negative. Shit or get off the pot, but don't fart up the place.  Grin  I'm not talking trash on people who express their concerns here, that's what forums are for... I just don't think people who might be new to a coin such as 888 would like seeing too much FUD or pseudo-FUD from its community.

Have a great weekend, guys!
brianbbad

Activity: 423

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 06:11:31 AM

Shit or get off the pot, but don't fart up the place.  Grin

I'm sure I'm not the first person to ever say that, but regardless I'm pretty proud that I came up with it just now.  Cool
syncsam

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 06:49:49 AM

It's frustrating when there are long gaps in communication and missed deadlines, but IMO it's better to just do something productive instead of sitting around going "when? why? wtf?"

For example, I've done a bunch of tweeting, emailing, in-person promoting, etc. on behalf of Murraycoin during the slow periods; my technology skills are limited (just started Java Programming 102 this semester, and any websites I've ever made have been super sloppy) so I don't have a whole lot to contribute, but I see no point in being overly negative. Shit or get off the pot, but don't fart up the place.  Grin  I'm not talking trash on people who express their concerns here, that's what forums are for... I just don't think people who might be new to a coin such as 888 would like seeing too much FUD or pseudo-FUD from its community.

I know you brian and the work you have put into murraycoin, unfortunately these developers are not very professional.  I don't chase bholzer up about murraycoin because he has come out and kept us informed (that is professional). and if speaking the truth is spreading FUD well then I'm guilty and will continue being guilty as it's my opinions.  The thing is how can the community be proactive and productive about 888 if theres nothing to be proactive/productive about because no one knows anything.
SquidsIn

Activity: 236

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 06:52:55 AM
Last edit: September 12, 2014, 07:37:39 AM by SquidsIn

For example, I've done a bunch of tweeting, emailing, in-person promoting, etc. on behalf of Murraycoin during the slow periods; my technology skills are limited (just started Java Programming 102 this semester, and any websites I've ever made have been super sloppy) so I don't have a whole lot to contribute, but I see no point in being overly negative. Shit or get off the pot, but don't fart up the place.  Grin  I'm not talking trash on people who express their concerns here, that's what forums are for... I just don't think people who might be new to a coin such as 888 would like seeing too much FUD or pseudo-FUD from its community.

I don't disagree with you in principle re: doing what you can.  That's what communities are for and that's how they make or break a coin, BUT, I think the problem with Octocoin is that its been so enigmatic nobody knows what they can do or what they are promoting, at least with other coins if you can read code and blockchain transactions what you see is pretty much what you get and they present a much more amateur outlook where the dev is happy for contributions and ideas.  Of course other coin devs may also have their own agenda and many of them can't be trusted as far as you can throw them but because the coins and the very ideas behind them are open source they, as projects, can be taken on or over by communities.  Octocoin has, for me at least, always had a proprietary feel to it.

Like others have said, I only gambled what I can afford to lose but like any form of gambling, losing never makes you smile!

And IF I lose... I'm taking my bag with me!

Since getting into Cryptocurrency I've had many bags, all but two have varied over time.  Those are the two I see in the mirror where my eyes once shone.
SquidsIn

Activity: 236

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 07:49:58 AM

It's a good job I'm not deliberately FUDding in order to make large buys.  Price up 12% this morning.

Since getting into Cryptocurrency I've had many bags, all but two have varied over time.  Those are the two I see in the mirror where my eyes once shone.
BeardedCouncil

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 11:12:21 AM

And the 2,500,000 at 1111 says have gone...
frameLAlife

Yessir.

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2014, 01:17:07 PM

you know, it's all part of the game. only invest what you can afford to lose.

See, I hear that. And I've done that. But that doesn't give the devs a free pass to act without regard for us.

It will affect my life if I lose what I've invested. I'll be OK, but still, aspects of my life will be affected.

After all the devs have written, I'm just at a loss at how they are acting. I don't understand them. They don't seem to be trying to cheat us really, I don't think, but they do seem to not care about us at all, despite what they write.

Oh I totally agree. No dev should rip people off. And I don't think Octo is. And it sux when people lose their money.

I was just commenting on my basics of investing. If Octo disappeared today I'm not really out that much money and I didn't bet anything that I would lose. Just spending cash. I would be angry and pissed but I also knew the risk.

Any and all crypto can fail. Bitcoin could be the Napster and disappear and all lose their money while it resets to something better.

just saying.

I really don't think Octo is bad, just doing things their own way.

frameLAlife

Yessir.

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2014, 01:30:02 PM

I agree Brian. I think that's one of the best things about Murraycoin is the community and what you guys do. We do that here at Octo somewhat. Or at least we have a good community.

I still tell my friends about Octo just in case but I think most here don't want to tell someone about a coin and then they come to the community and are like what the fuck devs? Really this is what you invited me to? I mean some people cannot handle the way the Octo devs are. It takes a special kind of person for us to all still be here having faith in a Crypto world where people get ripped off. I personally think we need to see  more from the devs before I can honestly promote Octo. Just to be sure. I don't want someone else losing money on my referral and there are plenty of coins out there that can do that.

I still have faith in Octo and I'm patient. I think that really the investors might be bigger than we think and we just have to deal with it being "it is what it is."

At this point I'm 200,000 deep and done buying (at least on a schedule). I'm just waiting to see what happens next.

SOME DAYS IT FEELS LIKE I DID BLINK LOL>

frameLAlife

Yessir.

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2014, 01:33:08 PM

Ohh I thought you meant this coin also! And dude there are still coins to invest in that are doing good things! I wouldn't get out of crypto totally. You can buy cheaper and live less stressful not mining. Bitcoin 2.0 platforms are gonna make people a lot of money. Look at the top 20 of coinmarketcap.com.... Big things happening.

Most are too far invested in Octo to dump now. Just gotta wait and see. Hey I'm gonna pm you this weekend about what you were talking about.

rotation

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 01:40:26 PM

Chinese shitcoin,huh?  Grin Grin Grin

frameLAlife

Yessir.

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2014, 01:48:53 PM

nope.

Pages: « 1 ... 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 [162] 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 ... 216 »
  Print  

Jump to: