Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 05:31:29 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 [202] 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] [888] [SCRYPT] OctoCoin ◦ The Power of Eight ◦ Don't Blink  (Read 297651 times)
hashbrown9000

Activity: 427
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 02:25:06 AM

welp, i just threw a measly 1 gpu onto this coin. see where it goes. most for giggles.  I still have all that i mined from last year haha!

Pinkcoin:
ETH:
VTC:
BTC:
OCTOPARTY

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2015, 02:42:44 AM

With counterwallet coins, can they be listed on the exchanges?  Or only on the counterparty exchange?

Poloniex.com and Bter.

I use Polo, not a fan of Bter.

Polo also carries quite a few Counterparty assets:

XCP
GEMZ
SWARM
SJCX
FLDC
LTBC

All Counterparty assets/coins. They definitely show the love. I would think we would be able to get listed there.

OCTOPARTY

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2015, 02:44:58 AM

welp, i just threw a measly 1 gpu onto this coin. see where it goes. most for giggles.  I still have all that i mined from last year haha!

my as well try to get more while you can for the burn. we def need to have some hash in the burn too.
syncsam

Activity: 172
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 02:52:15 AM

What makes you think it could be around 3000 Sat?  I'm all for OCTO, but it's going to be real tough to get new people interested.  There is so much out there,  burning coins, and going to counterparty isn't going to make things happen.  Unless there is progress on the coin we'll be in the same boat we are now.

I have seen this happen with so many coin, DEVs can talk the talk, but can't walk the walk.

My comment wasn't saying it would be 3000sats, but if we could get it to 3000 via projects then we wouldn't be missing out

<edit> compared to when the wallet was taken off of bittrex
syncsam

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 03:01:17 AM

I agree stonerboy,

I think 10 is a good choice, the price was about 300 before bittrex wallet went offline, so with project development if we could around 3000 sats, we octocoiners wouldn't be missing out

can't do maths at this point about conversion rate, way to early in the morning here, but doing 40-50% for octocoiners and sales to provide funds for the 1st development shouldn't be an issue, I can see frameLAlifes point, but if we screw us on conversion rate you would lose the current community spirit and there would be resentment that people who got in later got a better deal

I never said it would be easy or fast, but it gives a good starting target if we can get good projects going

<edit> instead of aiming for and promising the moon, take baby steps, with project development (depending on what the projects are) there is no reason it couldn't get it to 3000

<edit 2> I am bolding the most important aspect that I see, using counterparty would just mean 1 less thing for us to worry about so we can concentrate on projects
syncsam

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 03:20:18 AM

I don't think we want to sell it all at once, need to be sold in stages, first enough to fund the 1st development, hopefully that will raise the price a little, then sell enough for stage 2, and hopefully that will raise the value a some more, and so we not flooding the market and not selling them all for a low price, just enough to develop the project/coin, at a later date decided by if we get enough interest and vote release more into the wild

I've counted mine as a write off already so I won't be dumping, I will hold for the long term and I hope most others think the same way
OCTOPARTY

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2015, 03:34:52 AM

What makes you think it could be around 3000 Sat?  I'm all for OCTO, but it's going to be real tough to get new people interested.  There is so much out there,  burning coins, and going to counterparty isn't going to make things happen.  Unless there is progress on the coin we'll be in the same boat we are now.

I have seen this happen with so many coin, DEVs can talk the talk, but can't walk the walk.

I agree. I don't want to speculate on any price for OCTO. My only speculation is that most of the other CP coins are doing ok.

Our price will be determined by actual projects which is easier said than done. There's going to be a lot of work to do and planning to get the right devs in place to make this successful. I have already started posting and will continue to recruit devs who know Counterparty and smart contracts which is what we will need for the first project.

If the first project goes as I hope it will, i think the demand for the coin will give it some value.

I also am in no hurry to burn or even think crowd sale until i have an idea on how much a dev will be and what they say about the technical issues of the project. I am hoping that I can garner interest soon so that I will have an idea of what we are up against on the first project.
syncsam

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 03:42:46 AM

I do agree with you madmartyk, unless we have a great development plan there is no use trying to resurrect the coin because we would only be trying to swim upstream in a crowd of other scam/shit coins
crypt22

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 03:43:56 AM

i think this coin has died Sad
OCTOPARTY

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2015, 03:44:19 AM

yeah. we will see what kind of responses we get from devs and web designers. if we get ones who can technically code what we want i think the marketing will be the easy part.
gd100

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 10:11:18 AM

http://i.gyazo.com/7d41e4c191c9e39a7e69883a2a7fac21.png

Dead, but network hash is : 153Mh/s (153679515)  Huh

Someone continues to dig.
Who and why?  Roll Eyes
madmartyk
Legendary

Activity: 2688
Merit: 1030

Yes I am a pirate, 300 years too late!

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 11:38:12 AM

20 Mh/s is me.  Why?  Why not...

bholzer

Activity: 490

The Murraycoin Project ▪ Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2015, 11:52:29 AM

For what it's worth, I am still working on a couple of projects whenever I can find the time. While I'm not really close to finishing anything major (a lot of this stuff had multiple programmers working on it all with different styles... in addition to being incomplete) but there is some really good stuff to work with here.

The bottom completely fell out of the altcoin market - nobody can justify hiring the talent required to work on anything outside of bitcoin at this point. The bottom line is that there is still more value here than anything else I'm aware of in the altcoin market. While I intend to port some things over to Murraycoin as well... we still have real potential if people can start working together and I can actually get some of this stuff into production. I'm still trying to decide how to separate this stuff from all of the other garbage - I have some ideas.

Cryptocurrency has transformed into just a hobby for me at this point... but I am heavily invested while also being in a unique position where we can still do some cool stuff. I haven't been keeping up with this thread but I skimmed the past couple pages and I have to say... the logic behind (what I'm gathering) is the plan eludes me. It's obviously just restructuring existing value in hopes to move the needle enough in your favor to unload coins - it sounds like you guys are trying to trick each other. We've seen this stuff tried over and over again and it has never worked because the coins themselves are not the problem... the core technology is not the problem... the problem is there is no point to the coins outside of pipedreams and big ideas. OctoCoin tried to be something different - these guys were all legit and I was excited when I became a part of the team... but altcoins themselves are what beat down this project. This was just another altcoin heat check that was written off by curious investors dipping their toes in the water. Companies are shut down all the time when it becomes too difficult to turn a profit - this was one of them.

If we have people in here who have the talent to actually put something big together (along with the time to actually invest in it) then I think we can start moving the needle. My concern is that all I'm seeing are people debating about how to divide the coin totals, "trade in" coins, and other nonsense - this isn't going to make OctoCoin blow up. This is stuff that might have worked briefly a year or so ago (even then it was only successful short-term) but this is different situation.

The projects I'm working on can help but they aren't going to be enough on their own. Some of the really great stuff I have access too remain the property of others and I will have to pay licensing fees to use portions of the code - as they are flat fees, I will have to release them for Murraycoin and possibly even bitcoin as well. The lack of exclusivity certainly lowers the ceiling for OctoCoin. Some of the gambling stuff that I don't want associated with Murraycoin and don't want to risk the legal issues with bitcoin could be OctoCoin exclusive... but prioritizing here is difficult.

Basically I just wanted to say there is still some hope here. There was an unraveling of this community... we are in the middle of an altcoin wasteland in general... and even bitcoin is struggling to climb right now (which is mind-boggling) - this simply isn't a great time to be attempting to hype things up and release projects. Now is a good time to plan... and develop... and be ready when the timing is right. This isn't a sprint - we're less than 11 months post-launch here - in any other industry less than 11 months would be considered a joke. There is a reason altcoins are dead or dying - people don't understand business. There are far too many people here with no talent and no patience just hoping to strike it rich on the backs of those who actually put in the work. It's great to brainstorm and formulate plans but, in my opinion, you guys appear far too concerned with the superficial aspects here - this currency needs substance.

I need some sleep...

murrayCOIN The Only Currency Worthy of the NameBitcointalk Thread BTC: 1KY5kptnac4HLbF9Rn1Y6J8wPrM734db42
FixItDad

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 12:45:57 PM

For what it's worth, I am still working on a couple of projects whenever I can find the time. While I'm not really close to finishing anything major (a lot of this stuff had multiple programmers working on it all with different styles... in addition to being incomplete) but there is some really good stuff to work with here.

The bottom completely fell out of the altcoin market - nobody can justify hiring the talent required to work on anything outside of bitcoin at this point. The bottom line is that there is still more value here than anything else I'm aware of in the altcoin market. While I intend to port some things over to Murraycoin as well... we still have real potential if people can start working together and I can actually get some of this stuff into production. I'm still trying to decide how to separate this stuff from all of the other garbage - I have some ideas.

Cryptocurrency has transformed into just a hobby for me at this point... but I am heavily invested while also being in a unique position where we can still do some cool stuff. I haven't been keeping up with this thread but I skimmed the past couple pages and I have to say... the logic behind (what I'm gathering) is the plan eludes me. It's obviously just restructuring existing value in hopes to move the needle enough in your favor to unload coins - it sounds like you guys are trying to trick each other. We've seen this stuff tried over and over again and it has never worked because the coins themselves are not the problem... the core technology is not the problem... the problem is there is no point to the coins outside of pipedreams and big ideas. OctoCoin tried to be something different - these guys were all legit and I was excited when I became a part of the team... but altcoins themselves are what beat down this project. This was just another altcoin heat check that was written off by curious investors dipping their toes in the water. Companies are shut down all the time when it becomes too difficult to turn a profit - this was one of them.

If we have people in here who have the talent to actually put something big together (along with the time to actually invest in it) then I think we can start moving the needle. My concern is that all I'm seeing are people debating about how to divide the coin totals, "trade in" coins, and other nonsense - this isn't going to make OctoCoin blow up. This is stuff that might have worked briefly a year or so ago (even then it was only successful short-term) but this is different situation.

The projects I'm working on can help but they aren't going to be enough on their own. Some of the really great stuff I have access too remain the property of others and I will have to pay licensing fees to use portions of the code - as they are flat fees, I will have to release them for Murraycoin and possibly even bitcoin as well. The lack of exclusivity certainly lowers the ceiling for OctoCoin. Some of the gambling stuff that I don't want associated with Murraycoin and don't want to risk the legal issues with bitcoin could be OctoCoin exclusive... but prioritizing here is difficult.

Basically I just wanted to say there is still some hope here. There was an unraveling of this community... we are in the middle of an altcoin wasteland in general... and even bitcoin is struggling to climb right now (which is mind-boggling) - this simply isn't a great time to be attempting to hype things up and release projects. Now is a good time to plan... and develop... and be ready when the timing is right. This isn't a sprint - we're less than 11 months post-launch here - in any other industry less than 11 months would be considered a joke. There is a reason altcoins are dead or dying - people don't understand business. There are far too many people here with no talent and no patience just hoping to strike it rich on the backs of those who actually put in the work. It's great to brainstorm and formulate plans but, in my opinion, you guys appear far too concerned with the superficial aspects here - this currency needs substance.

I need some sleep...
Thank you BHOLZER
- many thoughts much wisdom
THE POWER OF ONE DIVIDED BY TWO

"YOU CAN, you should, and if your brave enough to start, you will."
OCTOPARTY

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2015, 01:24:21 PM

in other news...

Boy did Counterparty take a beating last night. Dropped by 40%. I scooped up about 40 of them at $1.50 and $1.15. I don't think the news that Overstock's Medici project is not using CP devs is really much that will keep the price down. It was fluctuating between $1.89 and $4.25 most of the year before the Medici news drove it up to $9.

It will be interesting to see what XCP does in the near future and what project the devs are supposedly going to release news about soon. I wonder if it will still be on Counterparty or if it will be separate?

I have posted on the CP forum and Twitter about the dev position. I also will be looking pretty hard-core in Florida when I arrive at the end of the month. If I can find someone that I can work with in person I would feel more comfortable. I also have someone in Tampa who said they may commit to the marketing side locally which is huge if they do. Tampa/St. Pete is really picking up traction with Bitpay hosting the Bitcoin Bowl. I know when I was there in October that many of these guys regularly attend 2 different Bitcoin meetup groups. They did big things with Bitpay last year. I'm hoping to network in that group and see if we can find at least one quality dev for the first project and also see if any of them would mind offering a mentor type position. It never hurts to have more professional people who ware already in the industry to offer their guidance. They may see things or realize early what we may not.

If you don't mind, any of you that use social media and have a lot of followers in the Bitcoin field, please start recruiting as well. The position will require a good understanding of Bitcoin-D, Counterparty-D, Counterwallet and the Betting and Smart Contract features that would be required for the first project.

I'm pretty sure that both the Betting and Smart Contract features are available to download and test on Counterparty's testnet. I'm hoping that some of the guys here that are more familiar with the coding will start to take a look at that. Squid looking into the burn process really helped. You never know, between him and GW maybe the smart contracts won't be too difficult for what we need.

I'll be on call this weekend and may not be around much to post but I will pop in and check if I have down time. Interested to see more thoughts from people here on things we posted prior.
OCTOPARTY

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2015, 01:28:32 PM

Dead, but network hash is : 153Mh/s (153679515)  Huh

Someone continues to dig.
Who and why?  Roll Eyes

lol... save some hash Smiley
OCTOPARTY

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2015, 03:08:34 PM

2 things that i'd like to see opinions on over this weekend:

I come off call next Friday the 13th at 7 AM. If we do the skype call to discuss the first project and the burn, when is the best time for you? I'm off all weekend. I would say between Friday afternoon and Sunday night. We can do 2 calls as well if needed in order for all to give their opinions.

In anticipation of announcing the suggestion for the first project which I think most of you will like and agree with, there is still the possibility that some of you won't be interested. I will continue on with this original project idea regardless because there are some of us who see some great potential in it. However, I would like to hear what ideas you guys would have for projects.

If you were going to crowd-fund to raise Bitcoin for a project what would it be? Who is your market? How does it relate to Bitcoin or the blockchain?

Pay attention to the second question who is your market. You'll see why when we discuss the proposed first project.

OCTOPARTY

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2015, 04:57:58 PM

Consider these:

StorjCoinX - Distributed Cloud Storage
Target: anyone who already uses cloud storage or is thinking of using cloud storage.
Relation to Bitcoin: encrypted, uses crypto as payment trasmitter

Swarm - Crowd Funding
Target: entrepreneurs, investors, anyone interested or using Kickstarter or other crowd funding mechanisms
Relation to Bitcoin - funding is in crypto, equity is distributed and paid in crypto

GEMZ - Encrypted Mobile Messaging
Target: advertisers, anyone who uses mobile messaging; seems with the name GEMZ, the target audience might be female
Relation to Bitcoin - Encrypted messaging, Bitcoin and GEMZ used as the currency and ability to advertise

If you notice a trend here, these are all things that can already by done without crypto and are popular. I think altcoins in general are so used to marketing to the target audience of people already involved in crypto, which the general public is un-knowledgable about and scared of.

I think one of the best things you can do is try to focus on the marketing to the general public. They don't have to know or understand what the tech is, or even why it's important.

For instance, Nxtty Crypto Messenger on the NXT platform vs GEMZ on Counterparty. Look at how they didn't focus their marketing and advertising on just crypto heads like Nxtty did. It remains to be seen how both of these do. I predict though that GEMZ reaches a larger market. I hope the guys at Nxtty are successful because I have bought quite a bit of Nxttycoin to support them and I cannot wait to use their iOS version. The Android version was fairly low on downloads last time I checked. If they turn their marketing around they could still be successful. I think just looking at GEMZ with the pink diamond logo and marketing about messaging that pays is smart. It doesn't even focus on Bitcoin or encryption at first glance.

http://getgems.org/

I think when it comes to OCTO that whatever projects we decide to push, that the marketing should be not so technical. If you have a good logo and a product they are interested in, then don't overkill it with all the Bitcoin jargon.

The game that we have talked about as the first app should be enough to get them interested. If they can play for free and each account is given a few OCTO to play the payed version and maybe win some more OCTO, then they may will continue to want to play. You can surround the game with other services that give use to OCTO as well.

Just a thought on the marketing side. I've been doing some research on some marketing groups that specialize in the area that the first project would be in. I also am gathering more info on marketing towards crypto as well. We all read the same news sites and coin sites so it's fairly easy to reach out to them about banner ads, etc.
syncsam

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 09:25:30 PM
Last edit: February 05, 2015, 09:46:00 PM by syncsam

... the logic behind (what I'm gathering) is the plan eludes me. It's obviously just restructuring existing value in hopes to move the needle enough in your favor to unload coins - it sounds like you guys are trying to trick each other.

My concern is that all I'm seeing are people debating about how to divide the coin totals, "trade in" coins, and other nonsense - this isn't going to make OctoCoin blow up.

All I can say what a load of bullshit you fucking waste of space, the only person that has tried to trick people is you... The lying piece of shit

yes the plan eludes you as it has not been talked about on an open forum as FrameLAlife has said he would rather discuss it in private and not let the world know

yes we are debating the way to divide the coin here, as its the only thing that doesn't matter if the public knows at this stage

I for one won't have anything to do with the new octo if bholzer has anything to do with it

<edited> so post won't be removed
OCTOPARTY

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2015, 10:23:28 PM

things that aren't discussed on the forum for privacy will be discussed in skype call. that is only to protect the idea of the first  project. not that i necessarily would think that someone would steal it. honestly i'm surprised it's not being done. there is little to no google results. only 1-2 places i really saw when i googled it and one did not appear to be currently in business and the other was implementing it a different way and it wasn't their focus.

Bholzer can have his opinion, i don't mind. let him do his thing, in fact i'm invested in Murraycoin and hope it does well. as for the octocoin blockchain, it will still be here for him or anyone to do with it as they please. minus a few million coins to a burned address of course.

he or anyone else can have their opinion, but the fact is there are few alt coins really doing anything. CP could crumble tomorrow just like anything else in BTC. but at the moment, imo it looks like Bitcoin 2.0 projects are doing find. CP has multiple coins, not only in the top 100 as far as price, but all the ones i've listed are actually doing projects. real projects, with real websites and real devs. distributed cloud storage in StorjCoinX? Really with a dev who is accessible on the forum and has his face all over youtube? GEMZ and their mobile messaging? Just raised like 2600 BTC in their crowd sale on Koinify? Devs faces all on the website.

We won't even mention all the good shit that NXT has going on. We haven't even seen the power of Ethereum yet.

Vennd.io making vending machines that auto trade BTC for CP created tokens? That doesn't sound like it will ever be worth anything. Hmmmmm. We will see.

Will all of these players win out? Who knows.

What we know right now is we don't have a dev to manage this abandoned blockchain. We do know that Counterparty runs on Bitcoin blockchain and can switch to other blockchains in the future if needed. The devs are all running well respected projects and their tokens are worth money and have some volume. Smart contracts are coming soon and that's a game changer. That will allow us to run certain games that multiple people pay in and the winner is paid out automatically. Having a wallet that accepts multiple coins/tokens might allow us cross promotion.

Between Vennd, Swarm and Koinify you're seeing some of the biggest crowd sales backing real projects. Transparency with multi sig wallets where Koinify and another 3rd party has to sign transactions along with some OCTO people to ensure nobody is ripped off. Koinify and a third party ensuring MILESTONES IN PROJECTS HAVE BEEN MET BEFORE PAYMENT is made so that people don't get ripped off.

People can have all the opinions they want about what we are doing and that's fine, nobody is forcing you to burn your coins. In fact keep a few in your wallet to hedge us in case we suck balls and Bholzer or any other dev does anything with this chain.

Honestly, I hope any good code he got off the devs goes towards Murraycoin so maybe it will help it. There may not be too many left around this blockchain after we bounce to even care about any projects for this blockchain.

We will see. It's not written in stone. We still have to get some consensus as a group and find at least one good dev to help lay out the technical parts of smart contracts to even know exactly how to implement the first project. But it's doable. All it takes is a little web design, someone that can do the coding for one website idea that we have and marketing to a few different groups that this should attract.

Like I posted before, I'm still trying to get interest from a dev. I'm already contacting people where I'm moving to in Tampa. We are just getting started. This will be a process.

P.S. At some point my frameLAlife will be unblocked from the 7 day suspension for spamming I think. So for the one's pm'ing this name don't forget I won't always be on under this name when I get my name back.

Pages: « 1 ... 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 [202] 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 »
  Print  

Jump to: