Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 12:06:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 [201] 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] [888] [SCRYPT] OctoCoin ◦ The Power of Eight ◦ Don't Blink  (Read 297646 times)
Stonerboy

Activity: 344
Merit: 250

ALL IN!

View Profile
February 02, 2015, 12:21:29 PM

I had the following idea:

Octos that are burned are divided by 8
and total coins: 8,888,888 Octotoken (or however we call it)

i think this is fair regarding what the octoholders went through and still we got a huge amount for the crowd sale.
And jeah, it still more looks like Octo.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
OCTOPARTY

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2015, 02:48:13 PM

I had the following idea:

Octos that are burned are divided by 8
and total coins: 8,888,888 Octotoken (or however we call it)

i think this is fair regarding what the octoholders went through and still we got a huge amount for the crowd sale.
And jeah, it still more looks like Octo.

so every 8 Octocoins = 1 OCTOPARTY?

or you mean vice versa? 1 Octocoin = 8 OCTOPARTY?

I think the lower we keep Octocoin holders holdings in OCTOPARTY the better chance we have at success at a crowd sale. Now we want to make sure we have our fair share and that people will be able to make money when the price of OCTOPARTY goes up. We also want to make sure that we have a good balance as a % of all OCTOPARTY.

Here's the question though: What is a balance, if any, that someone spending Bitcoin in a crowd sale will find acceptable? We need to make sure they understand and believe that we are not here to take their Bitcoin, drive up the OCTOPARTY price, dump and disappear with Bitcoin. I know that many of us will probably purchase OCTOPARTY in the crowd sale to support the project. But if you weren't an Octocoin holder, if you were just a regular person with some Bitcoin and you found a project that you thought could be profitable but you saw that a % of the coins were already held by a group, would you trust it's not a pump n dump scheme?

Now on the flip side, if you are the regular BTC holder looking to invest, you have to understand that this isn't a pre-mine or just a group that holds for no reason. This isn't a dev giving all of his friends some coins to dump. This is part of the narative, part of the story. We all put in mining for months. We all spent Bitcoin for months. The market may have delisted  Octocoin when the devs disappeared and it's hard to put a dollar or BTC value on Octocoin at the moment but at one point it was damn near 2 cents a coin. We may not be burning Bitcoin to create XCP but we are still burning the time mining and BTC we spent to buy and hold Octocoin. We may not be transferring an expensive holding like Bitcoin was to create XCP, but what time and money spent on Octocoin still had decent value at one point and a value that you can't put a price on when you consider our support for what we thought would be a good project in the 8 Octocoin apps.

So there lies the balance we have to create. When I was explaining the burn and the plan to a friend and holder of Octocoin he wasn't convinced that we would have support in a crowd sale if Octocoin holders burn and have a huge stake in OCTOPARTY because people would look at it like they look at a premine. I definitely see his point. I think the key is to treat it like some of the successful alt coin devs have treated their pre mines. Keep them small, for a good reason or cause and be very, very transparent.

A burn definitely keeps it transparent. A good plan for how they crowd sale BTC will fund the project has to be transparent. Having multi-sig wallet including at least 1 trusted person from the Bitcoin community should help gain some trust that we aren't going to take their Bitcoin and run or just spend/waste Bitcoin. Having payouts with that trusted party signing off on them only when miestones of the project are reached will also gain trust.

So the question still remains. What % should Octocoin holders hold if we do 8,888,888 OCTOPARTY coins? What % of OCTOPARTY coins should be sold in the first crowd sale? Do we do a smaller % and hold some of the OCTOPARTY coins for future distribution in a crowd sale to fund other projects? Do we distribute all of the OCTOPARTY coins in 1 crowd sale and find other ways to raise money for future projects?

If you think about the total being 8,888,888 I think that for the first project you would have to distribute enough coins that the BTC holders have a larger % of total coins currently available. That way Octocoin burners coins aren't as much of a risk as a pump n dump. If we only sell a small % of the 88,888,888 coins and hold back some for future projects, then between the burners and buyers it will = a fairly small number of total OCTOPARTY available. I would think that the price per OCTOPARTY would be pretty decent.

Of course, that then would affect the burn. I don't know if we could do a 1:1. Or if we did do a 1:1 burn and we have 20 million OCTOPARTY created from the burn we would have to sell like 30-40 million OCTOPARTY in a crowd sale so they have a slight advantage over the burners.

If that is the case it would leave roughly another 20-40 million for future sales to raise for other projects.

It's such a strange and interesting thing to think about setting up. There are many different ways we could do this.

I'm interested in hearing everyone's thoughts on this. Sometimes the best way to reach a conclusion is to hear many different ideas and reasons for doing things other than the way you would initially do them. Remember, everything I wrote above is just MY thoughts on this and not necessarily the way it SHOULD or WILL be done. Don't worry, we will come to some sort of consensus and vote on how we burn and distribute. We are all in this project together as the original holders. Just remember, it may feel weird to give up some Octocoins for less OCTOPARTY than a 1:1 trade but if you want to create value and gain trust on a buy in, that MAY be what we NEED to do.

I hold about 200,000 Octocoins at the moment. There are people with way less and people with way more. Some involved in the burn hold over a million. There are a few of them. They could take a 8:1 cut and still be large holders. Those with less than 100,000 Octocoins may not be the ones who want to cut into their holdings at an 8:1 burn ratio. I don't blame you. At 200,000, an 8:1 burn would only create 25,000 OCTOPARTY for me. But when you compare a dead abandoned coin with no listing on any good exchanges and no current market price to a new CP asset that is holding a crowd sale for BTC to fund  their first project, I think the latter will prove to be more valuable.

Now that was at an 8:1 burn. It doesn't have to be that high. It could be 3 Octocoins = 1 OCTOPARTY.

Just remember, depending on the number of coins burned and the ratio, combined with the number we sell in the crowd sale, how many OCTOPARTY will be available to fund future projects? If this first project is successful and we want to do more projects, i'm sure we can sell less OCTOPARTY for more BTC based on the success and trust gained from our launch of the coin, first crowd sale and completion of the first project. The value of OCTOPARTY should be fairly decent based on the first project with only a certain % of coins in circulation. As we come up with more projects down the road, maybe there are other ways to raise money to fund them and we don't need to hold any OCTOPARTY from the first sale. We just put all OCTOPARTY into 100% circulation.

Ok, let's hear what everyone thinks!
OCTOPARTY

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2015, 04:18:07 PM

And consider this.... usually the lower the cap on the coin the more potential price per coin being higher due to scarcity. We could easily do 8 Million OCTOPARTY total.

We also need to decide if each coin is 1 whole coin or if it's divisible like most coins where you have the 8 decimal places.
mafort1469

Activity: 364

View Profile
February 02, 2015, 08:47:40 PM

Yes, 8.8 million coins sounds good to me. And yes it still needs to be divisible by 8 IMO.
OCTOPARTY

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2015, 10:33:02 PM

I had suggestions for 8.8 Million and 8.88 Million.

I wasn't thinking about doing it that away. So that puts us close to 9 Million but not quite.

This may be our first thing to discuss and vote. The coin total cap, what the burn ratio is and how much to sell at the first crowd sale.

I would think most people would think that divisible is good. I see not reason to not have it divisible like Bitcoin or other alts. If it was a points system or an actual stock that you won't split I could see keeping it whole. Or if the token represented one object or physical item you wouldn't want a divisible coin.
syncsam

Activity: 172
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 11:17:51 PM

sounds good, 8,888,888 octoparty, 1 octoparty for every 8 octocoin

estimated 40 mil current, ~5 mil octoparty to octocoin investors and ~4 mil for sale

but we need to make sure the premine for octocoin can't be traded

But lets not call it octoparty, lets just call it octo, then work out what symbol to use
syncsam

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 11:21:25 PM

as it has to be 4 characters, lets call it octo, but for all the branding still use the 888, people will get the point

or 888 with a letter like s, 888s

<edit> actually I like the 888s, stand for octos (or multiple octo)
OCTOPARTY

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2015, 11:52:01 PM

as it has to be 4 characters, lets call it octo, but for all the branding still use the 888, people will get the point

or 888 with a letter like s, 888s

<edit> actually I like the 888s, stand for octos (or multiple octo)

That is also a possibility to just use OCTO. And yes, you can still use the 888 in just branding and not the ticker.

I think many will agree. But many are partial to 888 in the ticker. I do think as long as the 8's are in the branding... even in the logo, then you still capitalize on that.

I almost thought about adding the 888 to the top part of the octopus. just to see how it looked with the 888 combined.
OCTOPARTY

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2015, 11:58:09 PM

sounds good, 8,888,888 octoparty, 1 octoparty for every 8 octocoin

estimated 40 mil current, ~5 mil octoparty to octocoin investors and ~4 mil for sale

but we need to make sure the premine for octocoin can't be traded

But lets not call it octoparty, lets just call it octo, then work out what symbol to use

That is possilbe to block not accept burns from the pre mine or associated addresses it has sent to. Just need the block explorer to make sure.

I think my point was that you can't have a distribution like 5 million to us and 4 million to the buyers. If it's that out of whack people may not buy. They may perceive that we have too much power as for any future voting. They may think when the coin gets any traction or value we will all dump.

You have to balance it out. And we don't have to issue ALL the OCTOPARTY or OCTO whatever we call it, at once.

If we did a burn and created say 2 million of the new coin. Then we should probably sell at least 3 million for BTC. That would still leave almost 4 million to be distributed at a later date. Then after the completion of the first project you can sell more to fund a second project. If the first project is successful and the value of the coin is up then we could offer a decent deal where the user is getting some of the coin in bulk at a discount. But we should be able to sell a lot less OCTO for a lot more BTC in the second crowd sale because we will have a baseline price that it will be worth by then.

syncsam

View Profile
February 04, 2015, 12:19:25 AM

sweet az, 1 octo to 16 octocoin, leaving ~2.5mil for octocoin investors and ~6.3 mil for further sale

sell that ~6.3 mil in chunks as projects need funding
syncsam

View Profile
February 04, 2015, 12:23:12 AM

you seem to be onto it frameLAlife  Grin , also we should start a new thread so we have control of the OP, explain what is happening and y, so its all out in the open and no one need to read every page of this drama
OCTOPARTY

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2015, 02:49:38 AM

Yeah we will start a new thread soon. Once we decide on the official name and such. I have done quite a bit of research lately but I'm also busy preparing to move to Florida this month.

I also have a tough weekend/week of on call starting this weekend. So my plan is to try to schedule the Skype call for the following weekend because I will be off on Friday/Saturday/Sunday. On the call we can discuss the official name and ticker so we know what to name it. Among other things that we cannot post on the forum yet.
Stonerboy

Activity: 344

ALL IN!

View Profile
February 04, 2015, 09:34:25 AM

I would stay at dividing by 8. Dividing by 16 would be bad for the loyal people.

1. we loose our % of shares. It gets smaller. So this would be a negative point for the people here who want to work on this project.
   (why punish them)
2. The point for many is that they want to see Octo alive to have a real chance to get their investment back (minimum)
    -> if you divide it by 16, there's the following fact:
         Octocoin was traded at around 1000 satoshi (often much higher, but let's keep it low)
         ->Since 16 Octocoin is 1 OCTO now we will have to get a 1000 x 16 = 16000 satoshi coin (minimum)
             (And don't forget that BTC was worth 2,5x at this point in the past, counting that in... just forget it)
             So what will be the price in the crowdsale?

Even if we burn 30,000,000 we get 3,750,000 OCTO if we divide by 8
thats like 40%, distributed to a lot of people.
Maybe divide by ten. so we only got like 30%.
But regarding that the total cap is divided by 10, everything divided by over 10 would be a bad deal for us, the loyal ones.

All i wanted to say is that we don't have to scam ourselves only to be loved by every investor out there. That's not our job.   Grin

Just my opinion.  Wink
syncsam

View Profile
February 04, 2015, 09:06:42 PM

I agree stonerboy,

I think 10 is a good choice, the price was about 300 before bittrex wallet went offline, so with project development if we could around 3000 sats, we octocoiners wouldn't be missing out

can't do maths at this point about conversion rate, way to early in the morning here, but doing 40-50% for octocoiners and sales to provide funds for the 1st development shouldn't be an issue, I can see frameLAlifes point, but if we screw us on conversion rate you would lose the current community spirit and there would be resentment that people who got in later got a better deal
madmartyk
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1030

Yes I am a pirate, 300 years too late!

View Profile
February 04, 2015, 09:34:48 PM

What makes you think it could be around 3000 Sat?  I'm all for OCTO, but it's going to be real tough to get new people interested.  There is so much out there,  burning coins, and going to counterparty isn't going to make things happen.  Unless there is progress on the coin we'll be in the same boat we are now.

I have seen this happen with so many coin, DEVs can talk the talk, but can't walk the walk.

OCTOPARTY

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2015, 10:42:01 PM

I agree stonerboy,

I think 10 is a good choice, the price was about 300 before bittrex wallet went offline, so with project development if we could around 3000 sats, we octocoiners wouldn't be missing out

can't do maths at this point about conversion rate, way to early in the morning here, but doing 40-50% for octocoiners and sales to provide funds for the 1st development shouldn't be an issue, I can see frameLAlifes point, but if we screw us on conversion rate you would lose the current community spirit and there would be resentment that people who got in later got a better deal

I agree. It has to be a balance to service both the burners and the buyers. The good thing is that the burners will also be able to buy. I know I'll be buying some just to throw BTC at the project we have planned.

But I don't know what the magic % is. I don't think there is a 100% correct answer. Some of it depends on how we do the crowd sale. If we are selling the whole  amount of coins that are capped I could see burners getting a 40% share. If we aren't going to sell ALL of the remaining coins in one sale, then it may need to be a lower %.

I think most people who don't know Octocoin or our history will care less about the original alt and only worry about whether this is a scam or a pump n dump. Of course there are ways to counteract that as well, by offering more voting power to BTC buyers. The hard part will be convincing anyone why we would do this burn and not just start the coin with zero issues and every coin issued is from the crowd sale. They could care less that we lost from investing in Octocoin. But what they do have to understand is that the new coins is a transfer of our coin in a sense, and a community takeover on a coin that we all invested mining and BTC into. It may not have an exchange value currently but our time and money put in is not worthless. Plus our core group will all have some responsibilities in a sense to promote  and help with the new coin.

I think we will figure it out step by step. We have to determine a few things and build from there.

I'm sure no matter what decision we come to on many of these issues that everyone will agree or like how we go forward. You simply cannot please 100%. I do think though that we will find a good deal of working together to meet in the middle. It will be the only way we can get traction.

Jamil.Kamil

Activity: 154

View Profile
February 04, 2015, 10:47:59 PM

OctoCoin for me new so can say best of luck...

GWCalvert

Activity: 167

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2015, 10:58:57 PM

I think that a lot of people believe there is some correlation between number of coins in circulation and the price. If that were the case, rare coins like 42, 66, etc. would be worth millions of dollars each and overly-abundant coins like XRP and Doge would be worthless.

The price of any coin is determined, mainly, on the community supporting it. If you grow the community, then the price will naturally increase. You grow the community by creating apps and services that the coin can be used for.

A good way to create new growth is to target an untapped market, which is the plan that we are working on. Bringing new users into the crypto scene with apps and services targeted at them will naturally create a larger community and an increase in the price.

888: 8TSFGEFRSXc7fjWt9RPQF1iGUe7T3J2GL1  Emerald Crypto Thread
OCTOPARTY

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2015, 12:21:24 AM

I think that a lot of people believe there is some correlation between number of coins in circulation and the price. If that were the case, rare coins like 42, 66, etc. would be worth millions of dollars each and overly-abundant coins like XRP and Doge would be worthless.

The price of any coin is determined, mainly, on the community supporting it. If you grow the community, then the price will naturally increase. You grow the community by creating apps and services that the coin can be used for.

A good way to create new growth is to target an untapped market, which is the plan that we are working on. Bringing new users into the crypto scene with apps and services targeted at them will naturally create a larger community and an increase in the price.

I agree. I do think there is something to be said for scarcity but only in the sense of comparing coins with caps to coins that are in the billions or have no cap at all. I wouldn't want a billion or more cap that is divisible or to have no cap at all.

As for the difference between 8 million or 88 million, price wise I don't think it will matter too much. It would have to have a user base larger than BTC in order for the buy support to drive up a coin with a lower cap. I compare the 88 million to Litecoin: if it can reach $49 then so could ours and they have 80 million.

The price will definitely be determined by the apps and services. I think focusing on building an eco system with custom apps built for OCTO will determine the price.  I think an extra bonus is being on CP. You never know where we may have the ability to cross promote with other coins applications. These guys are all focused on different apps but we all can use the same wallet which would give the ability to cross promote or at the very least to contract out for them to build something we need.

When we start building the ecosystem for our coin it may be something where it becomes more of a multi coin ecosystem for multiple Counterparty assets. This really could be helpful though. It could be something where OCTO starts out as the builders and testers of  our services but then we will allow/add other Counterwallet coins to be used. As long as we are pumping out services to keep OCTO as the main token and relevant it wouldn't hurt us.
madmartyk
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1030

Yes I am a pirate, 300 years too late!

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 01:30:06 AM

With counterwallet coins, can they be listed on the exchanges?  Or only on the counterparty exchange?

Pages: « 1 ... 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 [201] 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 »
  Print  

Jump to: