Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:37:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 [197] 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] [888] [SCRYPT] OctoCoin ◦ The Power of Eight ◦ Don't Blink  (Read 297646 times)
frameLAlife

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

Yessir.

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2015, 03:34:37 PM

at this point we should just merge with Paycoin lol  Grin

www.ptcrypto.com YOUR Bitcoin consultants!
BTC 13TQitBTzADXpYsDMRjDqFuGaw8m1JZ2YE
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
djslick
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2015, 02:23:58 PM

seriously, what happened to consolidation?

he posted 3 times at least saying he'd offer to fix it.

then disappeared.

come on dude!

*** STUMP THE TRUMP *** SPURN THE BERN *** VOTE BILLARY! ***
-= www.Billary.rocks | https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1439754 =-
madmartyk
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1030

Yes I am a pirate, 300 years too late!

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 02:31:52 PM

There was an issue with Banksycoin and the Tittiecoin DEV is fixing it.  Maybe we can get him to fix this as well.  OCTOTITTIES!!!

Seriously, whoever is leading this revival, should contact them!!

coinsolidation

Activity: 294

Bitmark Developer

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2015, 06:26:07 PM

seriously, what happened to consolidation?

he posted 3 times at least saying he'd offer to fix it.

then disappeared.

come on dude!

I am here, for reference here was my last post on the topic:

Update

I have spoken further with Ritchie, his strong preference goes to having a new wallet based on a proven codebase.  Even if the specific issue is patched, OctoCoin as it stands is based on a nearly year old unmaintained pre-aux doge client called Inutoshi. Many bugs have been found, and improvements made to major code bases since then, it can be considered legacy.

This could be saved. But it will take a lot of input and thinking outside the box. The state of Octo is zero.

So the questions are as follows:

Where do you take Octo from here as far as function and branding? Without 8 apps, does the name Octo still hold value? I know some have said that 888 is lucky, China, etc. and that's a great point. But what will the coin bring to make it stand out? How can you relate that to 888? Also, what if we jack the blockchain and they come after us for their logo, etc.? I mean that's a possibility.

What do you do about a fork? I do believe we have enough asics to jack the blockchain.

What do you do about the wallet addresses with the devs premine?

I would encourage you to discuss these points further.  From an outsiders perspective you have two redeeming features: 1) Community 2) Brand (888)

Forget about coin/qt features, and concentrate on uses. Every coin needs a purpose, a reason to validate it's existence, find this, then create or modify apps and software which will allow it to be used for that purpose.  If you concede that it does not have a (non profit making) purpose, then consider moving on.

If a new OctoCoin were created, it may be feasible to organize a pre-mine and burn, where people could opt-in to the new OctoCoin by burning their balance at bittrex.  After the burn period was over, an equivalently sized pre-mine could be distributed to those who opted in; thereby replacing old coin with new, and invalidating any previous dev's holdings.

Please discuss how to take this forward, as opposed to ways to move the overriding problem to somebody else by getting the coin enabled at bittrex and dumping, that doesn't help anybody and is quite unfair.  Apportioning blame is also human nature, but we know it's not conducive to building a positive future.

Merging communities and abandoning the currency is also a possibility.  There are other active coins and some good developers around such as defaced, btcdrak, jl777, crypto_zoidberg, bitcoin devs, dogecoin devs, to name just a few.  Additionally there are projects such as Kora which may soon be merging in communities to create a large starfish community where all folded in projects receive a fair portion of a group-wide currency.  Crypto is fractured, anybody concerned with longevity or who sees crypto as having a strong future, may be best placed to consolidate their communities around or in to high(er) quality projects with proven activity.

Honestly, try to determine if this is a community of ill fortuned bag holders, or if you have active productive members who can create or sponsor software, business, apps, and respective marketing - without those things no amount of branding, good will, or coin development will help the bigger situation.

I sincerely hope this conveys as positive, and will watch and contribute thoughts or code where warranted.

Many Regards,

Mark

Clarification: if I help with code, donations after any release would always be welcomed, but don't worry about raising a bounty or escrow, I offered help to a community and a friend, I did not take on a freelance project or bounty assignment.

The short version is: decide as a community how you want to move forward with a plan for longevity, and if you get one and commit, let me know and I'll help you form a plan to get a new codebase together and working.

A fix of the current codebase is not deemed as acceptable by bittrex to re-enable the coin.
A new codebase just so that people can dump their coins on to other unsuspecting bah holders is not acceptable to me.

Get a decent plan together, somebody to maintain long term, and I will gladly help technically revive the coin.

Bitmark (reputation+money) : Bitmark v0.9.4 (release)
SquidsIn

Activity: 236
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 10:18:37 PM

I hate to say it but; it's dead guys, time to move on or in my case, out.  I'm done with crypto, I have a wallet with a single bitcoin just in case but otherwise done.

so long.

Since getting into Cryptocurrency I've had many bags, all but two have varied over time.  Those are the two I see in the mirror where my eyes once shone.
HYPster

Activity: 192

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 03:13:20 AM

Yep, you can beat a dead horse, but it won't give you any money back. Ha ha losers.
djslick
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2015, 03:21:45 AM

well i'm not qualified to lead this outfit, as i have no technical expertise required. however i think that we all agreed that the gaming aspect and the 888 ticker were more than enough to move forward with. I'd like to see online texas hold em poker rooms that people could use octo with. this is the only way to get any utility out of this coin i believe. it draws on the foundation that we ALL bought into as a good idea back when things were going great for this coin.

therefore if anyone can nominate a developer to code or re-purpose an existing online gaming platform to use exclusively with octocoin (or maybe not exclusively), then i'd say we have direction, and a plan to rebuild value within this coin. Like i mentioned months ago, I played a text-only version of texas hold 'em in IRC, and it was probably the most fun i've had with crypto in years. getting a working poker portal is step #1. But I feel that the true untapped market is betting on REAL videogames. games out there that already exist server-side (Hearthstone for example) which would avoid necessitating developing our own anti-cheat platform, which would be biting off way more than we can chew. All we need is to figure out how to read some metadata from the game, and then you can have 2 parties who place a bet in escrow, and with some technical wizardry, voila, you have a real online gaming gaming platform.

I've been saying this for years, and octo could make it happen. We just need step #1 which is a simple online poker portal. the big fish are real gamers, who number in the hundreds of millions, and who all have graphics cards themselves, to continue to mine octo to bet with, which would give it more value.

ALL: please sign off on this idea, or present an alternative. If signing off, please nominate someone who can code or re-purpose an existing online poker platform to work with octo.

*** STUMP THE TRUMP *** SPURN THE BERN *** VOTE BILLARY! ***
-= www.Billary.rocks | https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1439754 =-
langvad

Activity: 159

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 11:17:32 AM

well i'm not qualified to lead this outfit, as i have no technical expertise required. however i think that we all agreed that the gaming aspect and the 888 ticker were more than enough to move forward with. I'd like to see online texas hold em poker rooms that people could use octo with. this is the only way to get any utility out of this coin i believe. it draws on the foundation that we ALL bought into as a good idea back when things were going great for this coin.

therefore if anyone can nominate a developer to code or re-purpose an existing online gaming platform to use exclusively with octocoin (or maybe not exclusively), then i'd say we have direction, and a plan to rebuild value within this coin. Like i mentioned months ago, I played a text-only version of texas hold 'em in IRC, and it was probably the most fun i've had with crypto in years. getting a working poker portal is step #1. But I feel that the true untapped market is betting on REAL videogames. games out there that already exist server-side (Hearthstone for example) which would avoid necessitating developing our own anti-cheat platform, which would be biting off way more than we can chew. All we need is to figure out how to read some metadata from the game, and then you can have 2 parties who place a bet in escrow, and with some technical wizardry, voila, you have a real online gaming gaming platform.

I've been saying this for years, and octo could make it happen. We just need step #1 which is a simple online poker portal. the big fish are real gamers, who number in the hundreds of millions, and who all have graphics cards themselves, to continue to mine octo to bet with, which would give it more value.

ALL: please sign off on this idea, or present an alternative. If signing off, please nominate someone who can code or re-purpose an existing online poker platform to work with octo.

I´m with u all the way, and what u guys decide to do for a dev. If there´s a slight chance that the coin could survive, i´m all for it.
frameLAlife

Yessir.

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2015, 12:33:33 AM

I agree. This is doable. It still holds true to the 888 ticker. Poker is something popular and simple enough that you could use it as a launching point. Poker might be one game but it could be 1 of 8. Screw 8 apps when you could just promise 8 games. There's enough games to gamble on like poker and blackjack. Or even down the road if it grew you could consider something in the video game realm or even sports betting. Of course many will say that there's already gaming on other alts and Bitcoin as it is. Still, a good start.

frameLAlife

Yessir.

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2015, 01:05:28 AM
Last edit: January 17, 2015, 03:45:44 AM by frameLAlife

You know, I have no idea if this is a good thing to consider but I will lay it out:

Anyone that follows Counterparty knows that they run on the Bitcoin blockchain, have an online wallet, is a well respected company, has their own exchange, the list could go on. I personally have messed with the token creation and it's cheap and easy to create your own token.

Counterparty XCP was created by burning Bitcoin to a non-spendable address.

Dogeparty was started in the same fashion by sending Dogecoin to a non-spendable address and trading it out for DogeParty tokens.

http://www.dogeparty.io/

Would it not be an easier, cheaper idea to have a burning party so that all the investors hung out to dry with Octo could burn their Octo to a non-spendable address and create OctoParty? You could also hold a crowd sale that accepted Bitcoin for a certain period of time and rewarded them with OcotParty. Use the Bitcoin raised to fund the developers, projects like gaming, websites and marketing.

There would be a few pluses to this idea:

1.You don't have to maintain a separate Blockchain.
2. Bitcoin's blockchain is secure.
3. You already can store OctoParty in the Counterwallet.
4. You already can trade OctoParty in the Counterwallet.
5. Counterparty and XCP are already successful and trusted by many.
6. Being on their platform may help get listed on exchanges again since Swarm, GEMZ, XCP, LTBcoin and StorjCoinX are already on exchanges like Cryptsy, Bittrex and Poloniex. (all Counterparty created assets and all listed highly on Coinmarketcap.)
7. It wouldn't reward the devs who abandoned this coin since the premine would no longer matter like it would if Octocoin blockchain became successful. I'm assuming as long as we maintained a Octocoin block explorer we could block any trades for OctoParty coming from the devs premine addresses or any addresses that received from the premine addresses.
8. It may open up the potential uses for this coin alongside other Counterparty created assets.
9. It just seems like it may be a way easier, yet still fair way for us to take back what we lost investing into Octocoin.
10. Maybe it would lower the stigma of an alt coin takeover just trying to find marks to pass the bag to. Many alt coin takeovers do just create more bagholders. I don't think as much as many of us would have liked a successful Octocoin or our original Bitcoin back that we are looking for bagholders. I think most of us really enjoyed the thought of being part of something special and different.

Of course, the negatives are you are tied to the Counterparty system and the Bitcoin blockchain which in the future could become compromised or go in directions we cannot forsee. But if I understand correctly, Counterparty could move to any other blockchain they wish in the future.

You are also tied to Bitcoin and Counterparty if there were ever any future security issues. I mean They seem on top of things with Counterwallet but at the same time, it would be out of our hands on the development side. The only thing we have control over would be the sites for gaming or other uses for the token.

The questions are:

1. In order to block Octocoin being burned from dev pre-mine address or any associated addresses, you would have to at least get another block explorer going and maintain it during the crowdsale and burnsale. Can anyone do this?
2. What sort of governing system would you have to help guide OctoParty Projects?
3. If we create excess OctoParty for future projects, contests, promotions, payments, etc and hold them in multisig wallets, how do you decide who gets that power? Granted you can permanently lock the created tokens and cap the coin after the crowdsale for Bitcoin, the burnsale for Octocoin and the excess OctoParty are created.
(EDIT: YOU CAN CREATE VOTE TOKENS TO SEND TO ADDRESSES SO THE COMMUNITY CAN VOTE ON ALL IDEAS OR PEOPLE WHO WOULD CONTROL MULTISIG WALLETS TO PAY DEVELOPERS FOR APPLICATIONS AND GAMES. SEE NEXT POSTS FOR CLARIFICATION.)

Please respond with thoughts, ideas and criticisms.

frameLAlife

Yessir.

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2015, 01:11:47 AM

And you never know, with their association with Swarm, we could possibly really have a huge platform to promote a crowdsale to raise Bitcoin for OctoParty projects. If they were sympathetic to us getting the shaft and thought that we had some good ideas for projects, charities, gaming, etc., they may be willing to swarm us?

Also, DogeParty is basically Counterparty on the Dogecoin blockchain instead of the Bitcoin blockchain. So we would have to decide whether to go with BTC or DC blockchain since they are different.

frameLAlife

Yessir.

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2015, 01:20:43 AM

OCTOPARTY has been created in Counterwallet for .5 XCP fee. I only created 1 token and it can be raised and capped later. I did make it divisible with a decimal place. I only created this just in case. I would hate for someone to come along and take the idea just to be a dick lol.

frameLAlife

Yessir.

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2015, 02:06:31 AM

mafort1469

Activity: 364

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 02:47:17 AM

hmm you might just be onto something here. Anyone else like the idea?
ThePeePs

Activity: 350

https://cryptassist.io

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 03:22:12 AM

hmm you might just be onto something here. Anyone else like the idea?

If it brings Octo back to life, and can add value to our coins, then i'm all for it.

THE ONE STOP SOLUTION FOR THE CRYPTO WORLD
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
Facebook   /  Twitter   /  Reddit   /  Medium   /  Youtube   /
      ▄▄█████████▄▄
   ▄█████████████████▄
  █████▀▀  ███  ▀▀█████
 ████     █████     ████
████     ███████
███▀    ████ ████
███▄   ████   ████
████  ████▄▄▄▄▄████  ████
 ███████████████████████
  █████▄▄       ▄▄█████
   ▀█████████████████▀
      ▀▀█████████▀▀

▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀                       ▀█▄
▄▄▄▄ ▄█                           █▄ ▄▄▄▄
█   ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███   █
▀▀█▀                                 ▀█▀▀
▄▀                                     ▀▄
▄▄▀▄▄▄▄                                 ▄▄▄▄▀▄▄
█       ▀▀▄                           ▄▀▀       █
█          █                         █          █
█▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀█
▒▀▄       ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██       ▄▀▒
▒█▀▀▀▀▄▄  █              ▀              █  ▄▄▀▀▀▀█▒
▒█      █ ▀▄                           ▄▀ █      █▒
▒▀▄▀▄▄▄▄▀  █▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀█  ▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▒
▒▒▒▀▄▄▄▄▄ █                             █ ▄▄▄▄▄▀▒▒▒
 ▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
frameLAlife

Yessir.

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2015, 03:23:32 AM

I mean it's doable.... none of us are devs. But we have all been around for awhile. If we create the tokens without having to manage the blockchain, create and manage a wallet, etc., then it leave us with finding a way to raise money to develop apps and ideas to make the coin useful. That, I believe we can all come together and do. Of course it may require a small quick dev payment to take over the blockchain, create a non-spendable address to burn the Octocoin and manage a explorer until all OCTOPARTY are created to ensure that we control addresses we don't want burning coins.

frameLAlife

Yessir.

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2015, 03:30:52 AM

Now that I think about it, when discussing ideas about who would be in charge of multisig wallets that would hold Bitcoin from a crowd sale, or really any other idea, with Counterparty you can vote as a community. You can create the vote tokens have have the community vote for anything and everything OCTOPARTY related.

Swarm does it all the time. I purchased Swarm in their crowdsale and I always get SWARMVOTE tokens to send to addresses to vote for certain things related to Swarm. We could just as easily do this for most OCTOPARTY ideas and plans or electing which users from the community have access to the multisig wallet holding BTC for developers of things like a poker site, application or charity that we decide to  enable.

frameLAlife

Yessir.

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2015, 03:52:11 AM

And in reality we can name it whatever we like. It doesn't have to be OCTOPARTY just because I paid a dollar to create it. We could even vote on what the name is if we can secure a few of the names and hold a vote on what the community wants.

frameLAlife

Yessir.

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2015, 05:22:57 AM
Last edit: January 17, 2015, 05:35:54 PM by frameLAlife

frameLAlife

Yessir.

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2015, 08:29:14 PM

So Octo wouldn't be the first coin to do this. Scotcoin actually completed the move to CP on Dec. 1st 2014.

http://scotcoin.org/
http://scotcoin.org/scotcoin-2-0-migration-information-to-counterparty-io/

Granted... they moved their entire blockchain it appears. We would definitely be going a different route.

Pages: « 1 ... 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 [197] 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 »
  Print  

Jump to: