Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 05:58:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 [931] 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 ... 2123 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4667384 times)
liteon
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

I'm a Firestarter!

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2015, 03:27:28 AM

Hey guys it seems like there may be many different versions of the Monero website such as the dev team's website, the MEW website and others. I'm looking to see if I can raise $70-$100 in either BTC or XMR to buy a domain and cover some of the web host cost. If I receive the funding I will start working on a brand new Monero website that will be visually appealing, it will inform the general public of what Monero is, how to get started, guides on setting up a wallet, mining, current XMR exchanges, emission information, what's currently in development and just a bunch of other information for your average joe and even computer nerd to get started with Monero.

My XMR address is: 4AGDFtUJggTcdMqCefhWzQ9FcmfnPohHiZBQMzsVk5XbE9bPogW8UB9bbzWEQrYXcDQRYh7oyuHF2CM 78oaD4FXbVCfnmwF
My BTC address is: 14qx4wQbKn8gm75E3EJeaoP5kuHNomjWgf

I know there is very few people that are willing to donate to support various efforts that could potentially take BTC and Monero to the next level, but I figure it's worth a shot to see what kind of response I can get from the XMR community. Lets finally try to get a nice website setup for our cryptocurrency Cheesy

P.S. Also if you donate please leave a post or shoot me a PM so I know who to thank later.

Why would someone / anyone do that?
People who invested in it can do it for free.
I know my website about monero is just a tin fish in deep sea, but I made it by myself and was not asking for donations for it.
Be a man, make it for free if you want to help.
Cheers!

Selling NordVPN account with premium sub - expires 2021! PM me to buy.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jplum1556

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 03:29:25 AM

I would love to help but I bought in at about the peak and hold so little it would be a drop in the bucket.

but this Freemarket Idea is certainly the way to go. It is even better if it could be integrated into the gui wallet to be released. This should be a consideration from inception so as to make integration seamless from the getgo.

I certainly wouldn't support this, and if the rest of the core team did I would probably leave the core team. Privacy is a design component of Monero there for numerous other reasons than to break laws, just as it is for Tor. OpenBazaar is an experiment on top of the Bitcoin protocol, and if it becomes the de facto world standard for illegal drug marketplaces I certainly wouldn't want such a thing intertwined with Monero on any level.

I don't understand you. Are you saying private money is okay but private trading is not? How is a decentralized marketplace any less legitimate?

For reasons of personal safety, the core devs must uncategorically eschew any support for empowering the peasantry to enjoy private/voluntary/mutually beneficial transactions.

Take their cover-their-ass statements with an accordingly sized grain of plausibly deniable salt.

And put me down for 500 XMR, to be paid out of escrow upon delivery of FreeMarket beta!   Cool

Agree.

Also, please put me down for the 150 that I had pledged for the AMD open source miner.

I am withdrawing the 150 I had pledged for that, due to apparent total lack of interest, and putting it towards this.
I will send 50 to be put into escrow and released when there's a workable beta.
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 4898

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 03:38:05 AM

As an aside, Why do people think there must be ONE wallet to rule them all?

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 04:10:43 AM

the AMD open source miner.

I am withdrawing the 150 I had pledged for that, due to apparent total lack of interest, and putting it towards this.

Please post this on the open source miner bounty thread.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=656841.0
lyth0s
Legendary

Activity: 1260

World Class Cryptonaire

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 04:11:39 AM
Last edit: January 03, 2015, 04:31:00 AM by lyth0s

Hey guys it seems like there may be many different versions of the Monero website such as the dev team's website, the MEW website and others. I'm looking to see if I can raise $70-$100 in either BTC or XMR to buy a domain and cover some of the web host cost. If I receive the funding I will start working on a brand new Monero website that will be visually appealing, it will inform the general public of what Monero is, how to get started, guides on setting up a wallet, mining, current XMR exchanges, emission information, what's currently in development and just a bunch of other information for your average joe and even computer nerd to get started with Monero.

My XMR address is: 4AGDFtUJggTcdMqCefhWzQ9FcmfnPohHiZBQMzsVk5XbE9bPogW8UB9bbzWEQrYXcDQRYh7oyuHF2CM 78oaD4FXbVCfnmwF

I know there is very few people that are willing to donate to support various efforts that could potentially take BTC and Monero to the next level, but I figure it's worth a shot to see what kind of response I can get from the XMR community. Lets finally try to get a nice website setup for our cryptocurrency Cheesy

P.S. Also if you donate please leave a post or shoot me a PM so I know who to thank later.

Why would someone / anyone do that?
People who invested in it can do it for free.
I know my website about monero is just a tin fish in deep sea, but I made it by myself and was not asking for donations for it.
Be a man, make it for free if you want to help.
Cheers!

I would be donating a significant amount of time to it and it would be a huge positive in terms of making Monero more of a mainstream alternative to bitcoin. If I'm putting all the work into it, it'd be nice to have someone at least pay for just the domain and partial hosting expenses.

I'm glad you made a Monero website, but that thing in its current form is useless.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I can release a pretty decent site in 1 weeks time. Max 2 weeks. A good face for Monero is.....good Cheesy

Monero - Truly Anonymous Digital Cash. Bitcoin Reading List 2017
lyth0s
Legendary

World Class Cryptonaire

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 04:17:51 AM

I would love to help but I bought in at about the peak and hold so little it would be a drop in the bucket.

but this Freemarket Idea is certainly the way to go. It is even better if it could be integrated into the gui wallet to be released. This should be a consideration from inception so as to make integration seamless from the getgo.

I certainly wouldn't support this, and if the rest of the core team did I would probably leave the core team. Privacy is a design component of Monero there for numerous other reasons than to break laws, just as it is for Tor. OpenBazaar is an experiment on top of the Bitcoin protocol, and if it becomes the de facto world standard for illegal drug marketplaces I certainly wouldn't want such a thing intertwined with Monero on any level.

I don't understand you. Are you saying private money is okay but private trading is not? How is a decentralized marketplace any less legitimate?

For reasons of personal safety, the core devs must uncategorically eschew any support for empowering the peasantry to enjoy private/voluntary/mutually beneficial transactions.

Take their cover-their-ass statements with an accordingly sized grain of plausibly deniable salt.

And put me down for 500 XMR, to be paid out of escrow upon delivery of FreeMarket beta!   Cool

Agree.

Also, please put me down for the 150 that I had pledged for the AMD open source miner.

I will send 50 to be put into escrow and released when there's a workable beta.

If everyone is interested I can act as the escrow for this. Funds would be released upon obtaining a workable beta of FreeMarket as either voted by 2/3 of the contributors or we can setup an arbitrator to define if the beta is "workable" or not, whichever method the contributors favor. I would also contribute 50 XMR to be released upon a workable beta of Freemarket for XMR, which an extra 50 XMR upon a full release. My contribution offer holds whether or not I become the escrow.

5w00p

Activity: 644
Merit: 502

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 04:19:13 AM

Article about shrinking liberty online around the globe:
http://www.knoxnews.com/newsy/internet-freedom-saw-drastic-decrease-in-2014

The soup that is the world today is so ready for Monero I can almost taste it.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2015, 08:15:52 AM

I agree with that objection that Monero should stay away from direct contact with potentially illegal markets, for the sake of the coin we should never talk about condoning its use here, but if Monero is used there is nothing we can do about that.

But thats not what I want to talk about, its about Tacotime, he is cozy with Bitcoin developers, we all know they dislike Monero because its a threat to Bitcoin, he will probably leave Monero one day to work in a sidechain with ring signature on Bitcoin, mark my words, it also will in my opinion fail but thats also conjecture.

Just be glad the Monero github is under a public and more trustworthy person.

Oh be nice!   Roll Eyes   

I've already provided a plausible explanation for the necessity of TT's harsh and seemingly contradictory condemnation of nonviolent technological resistance to coercion.

XMR is now bigger than any one core dev.  Given this critical mass we don't need to discuss personalities and speculate about motivations.

Besides, TT has never been a BTC Maximalist AFAIK; I first grew to admire him for his scrypt mining expertise back when LTC was the latest Threat To BitcoinTM.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
jehst

Activity: 798

21 million. I want them all.

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 09:09:20 AM

and XMR + BTC complete each other, Monero is the altcoin.

The default transparent ledger (btc) and the default private ledger (xmr) are like a yin-yang combo. But if you think about it, aren't XMR's use-cases far heavier? A transparent ledger is great for charity fundraising and aid distribution, crowdfunding, public funds, etc. where we want everyone to see everything. But a private ledger is more appropriate for private wealth storage, cross-border corporate finance, offshore banking, etc.

Year 2021
Bitcoin Supply: ~90% mined
Supply Inflation: <1.8%
David Latapie

Activity: 658
Merit: 503

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2015, 10:30:22 AM

I would like to add this:
Quote from: nullc (gmaxwell)
Great post by Gregory Maxwell about legal reasons for privacy
And I would add this:
Monero FAQ: Why is a private currency important?

I want to believe you but it would be easier if you could source your claims. Any link?
Obvious most discussion and information exchange about operating serious Dark Markets is private.
But what can be offered as "proof" or source:
Thank you very much. I keep this post for future reference.

Escrow, donation: I updated the list. G2M, since you did not mention you asked for escrow, I assume your donation will be unconditional - correct me if I'm wrong.

Monero*--a decentralized anonymous currency.

Freebazaar*--a decentralized market for Monero that IS NOT part of the official GUI.

*The devs are not responsible for the use of this technology for good or evil--especially since one man's evil is another man's good and vice versa depending on where, when and how you live.
FreeBazaar is an external project and any progress being made on it will be listed under the "external projects" section of the missives. External projects are projects the core team has no impact upon and neither condemn nor condone but still consider impactful enough to be mentionned. Also, the core team can not and will not vouch for the security/integrity of such external projects and as such shall not be considered liable should such a project contains malware or be used for nefarious purposes.

Note to self: think about adding this as small letters on our future missives.

Now this is something.
I approached you when you proposed to help with the MEW website. Domain name is taken care of, webserver is taken care of. Now you are talking about creating yet-another-website. This makes me question your willingness to work on the MEW website, which is supposed to be exactly what you describe.

Understandably, I am concerned about your actual involvement. I'd much prefer you withdraw your proposal to help for the MEW website if you prefer to focus on your very own website. I do not believe you could have more than one iron in the fire and, more importantly, I do not want to have to deal with another case of constant delaying.

But since, in the meantime, you send me a PM asking for what the MEW site would be, I hope this is just a misunderstanding and both your and our goals will meet in the shape of the MEW website.

Update: I have no issue with you asking for donation but it you work for the MEW website, MEW shall escrow this money, since the reputation of MEW would be engaged.

Monero (as a virtual cash) should be usable regardless of whether governments are okay with it. To me that's the entire point.
And this is already the case, since it is decentralised and open-source. So I really don't see why you are concerned.

Monero: the first crytocurrency to bring bank secrecy and net neutrality to the blockchain.HyperStake: pushing the limits of staking.
Reputation threadFree bitcoins: reviews, hints…: freebitco.in, freedoge.co.in, qoinpro
jehst

Activity: 798

21 million. I want them all.

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 10:40:42 AM

Tacotime, smooth or whoever is in charge of running the monero.cc website. Would you like me to help making it look a little more aesthetically appealing? I can't develop wallet code or anything, but I can make some website improvements.
The design is ready for quite some time (and, no, I won't give you the URL of the new website Smiley) We just need to add more content first

This exchange happened a while ago.

Year 2021
Bitcoin Supply: ~90% mined
Supply Inflation: <1.8%
David Latapie

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2015, 10:49:48 AM
Last edit: January 03, 2015, 11:42:15 AM by David Latapie

The default transparent ledger (btc) and the default private ledger (xmr) are like a yin-yang combo. But if you think about it, aren't XMR's use-cases far heavier? A transparent ledger is great for charity fundraising and aid distribution, crowdfunding, public funds, etc. where we want everyone to see everything. But a private ledger is more appropriate for private wealth storage, cross-border corporate finance, offshore banking, etc.
With viewkey and future auditable addresses, Monero could handle all the transparent ledger use cases you are describing. The dev fund already has the view key for doing so (see OP). Granted, this is all theoretical for the moment since there is no independant tool for using a viewkey (sole exception being MyMonero-created addresses).

So basically, what Bitcoin does, Monero can (eventually) do it too. And then more.

What people think happens:
Bitcoin: you must be transparent
Monero: you must be anonymous

What really happens:
Bitcoin: you must be transparent
Monero: you can be transparent

Something to remember when promoting Monero. Promoting privacy matters. But promoting choice matters too and maybe more.

Tacotime, smooth or whoever is in charge of running the monero.cc website. Would you like me to help making it look a little more aesthetically appealing? I can't develop wallet code or anything, but I can make some website improvements.
The design is ready for quite some time (and, no, I won't give you the URL of the new website Smiley) We just need to add more content first
This exchange happened a while ago.
Something different is in the way now. It won't make the previous statement obsolete, it is just different.

Monero: the first crytocurrency to bring bank secrecy and net neutrality to the blockchain.HyperStake: pushing the limits of staking.
Reputation threadFree bitcoins: reviews, hints…: freebitco.in, freedoge.co.in, qoinpro
lyth0s
Legendary

World Class Cryptonaire

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 11:57:59 AM

I would like to add this:
Quote from: nullc (gmaxwell)
Great post by Gregory Maxwell about legal reasons for privacy
And I would add this:
Monero FAQ: Why is a private currency important?

I want to believe you but it would be easier if you could source your claims. Any link?
Obvious most discussion and information exchange about operating serious Dark Markets is private.
But what can be offered as "proof" or source:
Thank you very much. I keep this post for future reference.

Escrow, donation: I updated the list. G2M, since you did not mention you asked for escrow, I assume your donation will be unconditional - correct me if I'm wrong.

Monero*--a decentralized anonymous currency.

Freebazaar*--a decentralized market for Monero that IS NOT part of the official GUI.

*The devs are not responsible for the use of this technology for good or evil--especially since one man's evil is another man's good and vice versa depending on where, when and how you live.
FreeBazaar is an external project and any progress being made on it will be listed under the "external projects" section of the missives. External projects are projects the core team has no impact upon and neither condemn nor condone but still consider impactful enough to be mentionned. Also, the core team can not and will not vouch for the security/integrity of such external projects and as such shall not be considered liable should such a project contains malware or be used for nefarious purposes.

Note to self: think about adding this as small letters on our future missives.

Now this is something.
I approached you when you proposed to help with the MEW website. Domain name is taken care of, webserver is taken care of. Now you are talking about creating yet-another-website. This makes me question your willingness to work on the MEW website, which is supposed to be exactly what you describe.

Understandably, I am concerned about your actual involvement. I'd much prefer you withdraw your proposal to help for the MEW website if you prefer to focus on your very own website. I do not believe you could have more than one iron in the fire and, more importantly, I do not want to have to deal with another case of constant delaying.

But since, in the meantime, you send me a PM asking for what the MEW site would be, I hope this is just a misunderstanding and both your and our goals will meet in the shape of the MEW website.

Update: I have no issue with you asking for donation but it you work for the MEW website, MEW shall escrow this money, since the reputation of MEW would be engaged.

Monero (as a virtual cash) should be usable regardless of whether governments are okay with it. To me that's the entire point.
And this is already the case, since it is decentralised and open-source. So I really don't see why you are concerned.

For the MEW site I was only given the standard drupal blackend login to site #1, but to create and/or modify any theme to our needs I would need FTP access, which I wasn't given. Now you and arctice mine are talking about site URL #2. If I'm going to work on the MEW site there needs to be at least 1 site consistancy, I would need FTP access and potentially DB access ( ie phpmyadmin) if we want to add any custom uses to the site. Also for content we should not have single pages that cover 10 topics and thousand+ words, that needs to be broken down and organized. With that being said I hope I would have some influence to the actual content posted as well.

We can take this discussion back to PMs if you like or keep it all public, up to you.

David Latapie

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2015, 12:07:34 PM

For the MEW site I was only given the standard drupal blackend login to site #1, but to create and/or modify any theme to our needs I would need FTP access, which I wasn't given. Now you and arctice mine are talking about site URL #2. If I'm going to work on the MEW site there needs to be at least 1 site consistancy, I would need FTP access and potentially DB access ( ie phpmyadmin) if we want to add any custom uses to the site. Also for content we should not have single pages that cover 10 topics and thousand+ words, that needs to be broken down and organized. With that being said I hope I would have some influence to the actual content posted as well.

We can take this discussion back to PMs if you like or keep it all public, up to you.
Artic Mine is finalizing the migration. FTP will be part of it, as will DB access if deemed necessary and doable. Site #1 is just the previous server and will be dropped eventually, so no need to worry for inconsitencies.

I agree that there should not be a single page. I was just posting some quick article, everything had to be retought design-wise, sorry if I did not make it clear.

Regarding content being posted, you'll have opportunity to voice opinion and we could even open blogs on the website (Drupal makes it easy to create various blogs for various persons), which would allow even more latitude in what you'd write.

Since this is getting technical, let's move back to PM. Anyone interested can join the conversation - just ask for it and you will be added to PM.

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2015, 12:24:26 PM

and XMR + BTC complete each other, Monero is the altcoin.

The default transparent ledger (btc) and the default private ledger (xmr) are like a yin-yang combo.

That is why wasting time trying to move XMR discussion off the BTC forum is mistake.

Drupal?  Gawd.  Grumpy Cat says Nope!   Angry

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Bavaria

Activity: 1032

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 02:07:31 PM

Does Monero guarantee 100% anonymity of at least the money receiver? Does it have native tor implemented? Does it provide stealthaddresses?
bitcoinrocks
Legendary

Activity: 1372

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 02:21:45 PM

How does BitcoinDark compare to CryptoNote?
G2M

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Activity: 616

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 02:33:16 PM

Does Monero guarantee 100% anonymity of at least the money receiver? Does it have native tor implemented? Does it provide stealthaddresses?

Monero doesn't guarantee 100% anonymity.

It's about the same as guessing which penny is yours, if someone's taking a penny out of a cash register at the end of the day .. only with Monero you'd be guessing which penny was yours from all pennies that ever were spent. In this sense, the penny is not traceable to you.

Additionally, every transaction uses stealth addresses .. so in addition to not being able to trace the penny, nobody can even be sure that you spent a penny at all. Your transaction of 1 XMR can look like 10 XMR or something else on the blockchain. So the penny is not linkable to the even another subset of pennies.

This functionality is both native and fully implemented, using both ring signatures and stealth addresses.

Monero guarantees untraceability and unlinkability.

TOR is not implemented, and won't be. I2PD will be implemented because it serves the same efforts as TOR, but on a more p2p level, rather than relying on servers.

Wind picked up: F4BC1F4BC0A2A1C4

banditryandloot goin2mars kbm keyboard-mash theusualstuff

probably a few more that don't matter for much.
Bavaria

Activity: 1032

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 02:49:13 PM

Monero doesn't guarantee 100% anonymity.

It's about the same as guessing which penny is yours, if someone's taking a penny out of a cash register at the end of the day .. only with Monero you'd be guessing which penny was yours from all pennies that ever were spent. In this sense, the penny is not traceable to you.

Additionally, every transaction uses stealth addresses .. so in addition to not being able to trace the penny, nobody can even be sure that you spent a penny at all. Your transaction of 1 XMR can look like 10 XMR or something else on the blockchain. So the penny is not linkable to the even another subset of pennies.

This functionality is both native and fully implemented, using both ring signatures and stealth addresses.

Monero guarantees untraceability and unlinkability.

TOR is not implemented, and won't be. I2PD will be implemented because it serves the same efforts as TOR, but on a more p2p level, rather than relying on servers.

Which party uses stealth addresses? Money sender or money receiver? Or both?
G2M

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Activity: 616

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 02:51:00 PM
Last edit: January 03, 2015, 03:32:58 PM by G2M

Which party uses stealth addresses? Money sender or money receiver? Or both?

Both sender and receiver use stealth addresses as one time addresses on the blockchain:

So, if I were to pay the developer team 50 XMR, looking at the blockchain one would only be able to determine: ______ gave ______ exactly ______ XMR.

Looking at your IP address and the blockchain, one would only be able to determine (at best): You ______ ______ exactly ______ XMR.

Looking at their IP address and the blockchain, one would only be able to determine (at best): ______ ______ them exactly ______ XMR.

If both parties are using I2PD and someone is looking at your ip's and the blockchain (at best): ______ ______ ______ ______ ______ ______.

Wind picked up: F4BC1F4BC0A2A1C4

banditryandloot goin2mars kbm keyboard-mash theusualstuff

probably a few more that don't matter for much.
Pages: « 1 ... 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 [931] 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 ... 2123 »
  Print  

Jump to: