Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 01:07:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 [989] 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 ... 2123 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4667060 times)
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2015, 11:50:07 PM

Guys, the idea of building a forum from the scratch was nice. However it doesnt work. Even someone from the core team said that it failed. It is 2015 and lacks basic features that every forum in the world have. It is simply not productive.

Please, create a simple, built in 15 minutes, forum like this one. Let a community to be built. Let projects and ideas to be discussed.

Seriously guys, do it now please.

Instead of complaining just list the features you're missing.

Honestly, the amount of effort required to secure SimpleMachines and its brethren (and make it performant and scalable) doesn't make an alternative appealing.

The forum software is not an undertaking we decided upon lightly, it plays directly into some of our future design goals and being able to integrate with those. If there are critical items missing, list them. Plus we're maybe a month away from opening up the GitHub repository, and then anyone can contribute.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
5w00p

Activity: 644
Merit: 502

View Profile
February 13, 2015, 12:00:03 AM

*minor rant* I wish people didn't assume that windows users are all uninitiated newbies or fools. 'windoze' etc does not make you sound clever. I am an experienced sys admin on various Unixes and Linuxes, Macs and Windows and I prefer Windows in general due to superior hardware and software compatibility. *end rant*

I may not be a pro sysadmin, but I agree with you.
But, imho, typing windoze isn't necessarily a dig on the OS, nor its users.
saddambitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 13, 2015, 12:08:41 AM

If anyone wants an OpenAlias hosted at moneroaddress.org I will provide the service at 10 XMR per year.

Please PM if interested.

Indefinitely

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 13, 2015, 12:10:35 AM

Guys, the idea of building a forum from the scratch was nice. However it doesnt work. Even someone from the core team said that it failed. It is 2015 and lacks basic features that every forum in the world have. It is simply not productive.

Please, create a simple, built in 15 minutes, forum like this one. Let a community to be built. Let projects and ideas to be discussed.

Honestly, the amount of effort required to secure SimpleMachines and its brethren (and make it performant and scalable) doesn't make an alternative appealing.

The forum software is not an undertaking we decided upon lightly, it plays directly into some of our future design goals and being able to integrate with those. If there are critical items missing, list them. Plus we're maybe a month away from opening up the GitHub repository, and then anyone can contribute.

I remember there being another forum, not forum.monero.cc, another one. Argh, I forgot it's url, but why not build a temporary forum, for discussion to take place easier until the custom one is fit to everyone's liking?

If anyone has a forum based domain name, Monerotalk/Moneroforum, for ex, then I may be able to help with constructing a forum on it(You can lease the domain name).
jehst

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

21 million. I want them all.

View Profile
February 13, 2015, 12:13:12 AM

I remember there being another forum, not forum.monero.cc, another one. Argh, I forgot it's url, but why not build a temporary forum, for discussion to take place easier until the custom one is fit to everyone's liking?

If anyone has a forum based domain name, Monerotalk/Moneroforum, for ex, then I may be able to help with constructing a forum on it(You can lease the domain name).

There's monerotalk.org

Year 2021
Bitcoin Supply: ~90% mined
Supply Inflation: <1.8%
TheKoziTwo
Legendary

Activity: 1552
Merit: 1047

View Profile
February 13, 2015, 12:13:56 AM

It's MoneroTalk. Personally, I'm not fan of the reddit layout the official forum is using. A forum and reddit serves two different functions.

Indefinitely

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 13, 2015, 12:18:17 AM
Last edit: February 13, 2015, 12:32:27 AM by Indefinitely

It's MoneroTalk. Personally, I'm not fan of the reddit layout the official forum is using. A forum and reddit serves two different functions.

Oh my, monerotalk's layout isn't very attractive... It honestly looks quite confusing...A temporary forum could be similar to this one or a more modernized version of this one, as most of those in the cryptocurrency scene are accustomed to this forum(it's layout)

Also may I add, the subdomain may make it more confusing for newcommers, at least in my opinion(That may have also been the reason, "forum.bitcoin.org" was transferred into bitcointalk.org).
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2015, 12:22:52 AM

Change your sort order in your user settings to Oldest First and you have a traditional flat forum (although no need to deal with pagination because infinite scrolling ftw.

Unless the comment is about Markdown, but anyone who prefers BBCode to Markdown is clearly stuck in the 90s and needs to get with the program;)

TheKoziTwo
Legendary

Activity: 1552
Merit: 1047

View Profile
February 13, 2015, 02:12:19 AM

Change your sort order in your user settings to Oldest First and you have a traditional flat forum (although no need to deal with pagination because infinite scrolling ftw.

Unless the comment is about Markdown, but anyone who prefers BBCode to Markdown is clearly stuck in the 90s and needs to get with the program;)

Wink

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I can't stand "infinite scrolling" either. It's a feature I find to be very annoying for the most part (there are exceptions where it can serve a purpose, such as google image search). The problem I have with it is that I can't go to a particular page without scrolling endlessly. There are times when I want to lookup a discussion, and say there are 50 pages, I know it's likely to be somewhere around 30-40, with pagination I can make some guess and narrow it down fairly quick, but with infinite scroll I will have to scroll endlessly through page 1-30 or 50-40 before I can start my search. Another scenario could be you're reading a thread and are on page 30 (or in this case, far into your "scroll") and by accident you close the page or (god forbid) you are stupid enough to click a link without "open in new windows". Now you're left to wonder where you left of.

Try remember how long it took you to scroll down versus if you were on page 30 or not. You can't even remember the location of your scroll bar since there is no such thing as "half down the page" with infinite scroll.

As for my main concern (order), you are right, I can order it by oldest / latest. That's cool. But the quotes are not in the actual post, it's above in a tooltip, but the entire post is not displayed. So what happens if I want to read the post quoted? I have to click the link and it will take me to the post, but with infinite scroll how am I going to find my way back to the responding post? the scroll bar is useless. And it's not unreasonable to assume I want to read the quoted post of the quoted post, and as you move up you're just getting more lost.

Another issue is when there are not enough replies to enable infinite scroll and everything fits in one page, if you click a quoted post, nothing changes on the screen, you don't actually know which post it is. There should be some ajax that marks the post at least. Right now something like #post-144 is added to the url, but that's not very user friendly when everything fits on one page.

I'm not sure if I'm missing something or if this is intentional, but posts are all minimized by default for me if there are a lot of replies. Pretty annoying having to click the unminimize sign to read the post.

bitspill
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1015

View Profile
February 13, 2015, 02:40:27 AM

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I can't stand "infinite scrolling" either. It's a feature I find to be very annoying for the most part (there are exceptions where it can serve a purpose, such as google image search). The problem I have with it is that I can't go to a particular page without scrolling endlessly. There are times when I want to lookup a discussion, and say there are 50 pages, I know it's likely to be somewhere around 30-40, with pagination I can make some guess and narrow it down fairly quick, but with infinite scroll I will have to scroll endlessly through page 1-30 or 50-40 before I can start my search. Another scenario could be you're reading a thread and are on page 30 (or in this case, far into your "scroll") and by accident you close the page or (god forbid) you are stupid enough to click a link without "open in new windows". Now you're left to wonder where you left of.

Try remember how long it took you to scroll down versus if you were on page 30 or not. You can't even remember the location of your scroll bar since there is no such thing as "half down the page" with infinite scroll.

As for my main concern (order), you are right, I can order it by oldest / latest. That's cool. But the quotes are not in the actual post, it's above in a tooltip, but the entire post is not displayed. So what happens if I want to read the post quoted? I have to click the link and it will take me to the post, but with infinite scroll how am I going to find my way back to the responding post? the scroll bar is useless. And it's not unreasonable to assume I want to read the quoted post of the quoted post, and as you move up you're just getting more lost.

Discourse addresses those issues.

Jeff Atwood (CodingHorror) blogged about the troubles of pagination and infinite scrolling
http://blog.codinghorror.com/the-end-of-pagination/

Robin Ward (EvilTrout) then blogged about how to "do it right" a year later
http://eviltrout.com/2013/02/16/infinite-scrolling-that-works.html

Here's an example of a long thread at Discourse
https://meta.discourse.org/t/what-is-the-most-awesome-plugin-for-discourse-that-does-not-yet-exist/31/73

The /73 is the currently viewed reply so navigating to a link and hitting back works it's updated using the javascript replaceState function to update the URL as described in EvilTrout's blog

In the lower right is a progress bar showing how far you are into a thread which upon clicking allows you to jump to a specific post, top, or bottom

{ BitSpill }
jehst

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

21 million. I want them all.

View Profile
February 13, 2015, 04:38:04 AM

I went through the Top 20 assets on coinmarketcap and divided the daily trade volume by the market cap.

Nubits is #1. This is to be expected. Nubits volume largely comes from trading bots managed by NuShares people to stabilize the price at $1.00
XMR is #2. XMR has high emission, but even if every mined coin were sold per day, that would only account for less than $4,500 per day of its often $12,000 to $25,000 daily trade volume.
DRK and LTC follow.

XMR remains a highly liquid coin. Even in terms of raw trading volume, it surpasses many more highly capitalized assets.

Year 2021
Bitcoin Supply: ~90% mined
Supply Inflation: <1.8%
generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2015, 05:24:29 AM

I went through the Top 20 assets on coinmarketcap and divided the daily trade volume by the market cap.

Nubits is #1. This is to be expected. Nubits volume largely comes from trading bots managed by NuShares people to stabilize the price at $1.00
XMR is #2. XMR has high emission, but even if every mined coin were sold per day, that would only account for less than $4,500 per day of its often $12,000 to $25,000 daily trade volume.
DRK and LTC follow.

XMR remains a highly liquid coin. Even in terms of raw trading volume, it surpasses many more highly capitalized assets.

And that's not accounting for what's being traded on moneroclub or privately. Think we'll never know the real number  Wink

GTO911

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 13, 2015, 06:25:57 AM

Selling domain monerowallet.com, payment in monero, pm me your offers

Give me 10 XMR and I will take it off your hands.

Selling at a very reasonable price - 2500 xmr
bitspill
Legendary

View Profile
February 13, 2015, 06:52:16 AM

Yea, only 2.5 btc. No biggie.

{ BitSpill }
GTO911

View Profile
February 13, 2015, 06:58:44 AM

Yea, only 2.5 btc. No biggie.

What is btc price? 220 dollars

550 dollars is reasonable for this domain, remember bitcoinwallet sold for 250k
bitspill
Legendary

View Profile
February 13, 2015, 08:25:06 AM

A domain worth big bucks would be http://mone.ro however some guy just want's to say "Salut!" to the world.

{ BitSpill }
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
February 13, 2015, 08:31:22 AM

A domain worth big bucks would be http://mone.ro however some guy just want's to say "Salut!" to the world.

Honestly none of these domains are worth big bucks because:

1. Monero itself is an early stage project that may or may not really go anywhere.

2. There are a countless variations, all of which are nearly perfect substitutes for the others, which means any one of them is worth next to nothing.

GTO911

View Profile
February 13, 2015, 08:33:15 AM

Monero.in - 3500 XMR

XMR.in - 3500 XMR
GTO911

View Profile
February 13, 2015, 08:35:50 AM

1. Monero itself is an early stage project that may or may not really go anywhere.

2. There are a countless variations, all of which are nearly perfect substitutes for the others, which means any one of them is worth next to nothing.

Yea thats why these domains are selling for cheap now. If Monero goes somewhere, it surely will. You are the devs, trust yourself. These domains will be worth so much more. Only the speculators will buy these domains
Vanderi

Activity: 283
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 13, 2015, 09:13:56 AM

Yea thats why these domains are selling for cheap now. If Monero goes somewhere, it surely will. You are the devs, trust yourself. These domains will be worth so much more. Only the speculators will buy these domains

Hey fuck you for laying siege on cool monero domains and then trying to pat the devs on the back.

What a goddamned hero.
Pages: « 1 ... 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 [989] 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 ... 2123 »
  Print  

Jump to: