Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 02:57:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 [163] 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 ... 2123 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4667041 times)
restless
Legendary

Activity: 1151
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 07:32:50 AM

Latest Linux binaries for miner are missing :S

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Keyboard-Mash

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 07:33:00 AM

I hope Darksend Masternode investors did their homework on Ring Signature technology. When coins already exist (Monero) that are more anonymous than Darkcoin/Darksend without requiring centralized nodes only accessible to those rich enough to afford the arbitrary amount, it stands to topple your whole system.

Monero is like a decentralized Darkcoin if you think about it.

Good point

Except the fact that darskend nodes are not centralized. There is no "center" in the darkcoin network where there is some masternode that conducts the anonymous transactions and that you can only go through there. All darksend nodes / masternodes, are part of the network / p2p.

Um, 59.9% of the master nodes are held up by amazon .. I'm not sure where you're coming from here...

http://drk.poolhash.org/masternode.html
AlexGR
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 07:40:27 AM

I hope Darksend Masternode investors did their homework on Ring Signature technology. When coins already exist (Monero) that are more anonymous than Darkcoin/Darksend without requiring centralized nodes only accessible to those rich enough to afford the arbitrary amount, it stands to topple your whole system.

Good point

Except the fact that darskend nodes are not centralized. There is no "center" in the darkcoin network where there is some masternode that conducts the anonymous transactions and that you can only go through there. All darksend nodes / masternodes, are part of the network / p2p.

Um, 59.9% of the master nodes are held up by amazon .. I'm not sure where you're coming from here...

I know the distribution, however that is not an inherent property of DarkSend, more like a reflection of the fact that the guides provided for making masternodes were about amazon instances.
neuroMode

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 07:42:25 AM

Good point

And even more still---being a masternode owner is now creating a class within Darkcoin: Those who can afford masternodes and those who cannot.

The whole appearance that masternode owning is desirable and it creates this positive reinforcement on the price of Darkcoin is eerily similar to the positive reinforcement belief that BlackPool was going to create constant upward buy pressure.

Darkcoin users have to trust that this Masternode implementation will not fail from being compromised, nefarious actions born from the power-gap of those with/without one, or the price bombshelling and masternode users aren't receiving profit as anticipated.

Myriadcoin - the first multi-PoW blockchain! (Mine with SHA256 [ASICs], Scrypt [GPU/ASICs], Skein [GPUs], Groestl [GPUs], OR Qubit [CPUs/GPUs]).
Myriad Website // Myriad on Reddit || Myriad Android Wallet || Myriad Electrum Wallet || Multi-vPoW and Block "Tips" - Solution to Parasitic Merged Mining
Keyboard-Mash

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 07:42:50 AM

I know the distribution, however that is not an inherent property of DarkSend, more like a reflection of the fact that the guides provided for making masternodes were about amazon instances.

So you're saying that the guide would have been better off if had instead walked people through the steps on how to both purchase and set up their own servers instead of rely on the temporary solution? Do you think they're up for that?
degel_x

Activity: 434

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 07:50:10 AM

So you're saying that the guide would have been better off if had instead walked people through the steps on how to both purchase and set up their own servers instead of rely on the temporary solution? Do you think they're up for that?
if i had a master node i would rent a amazon or digital ocean server too, by the way is this still a good buy at this point, will we see another Aurora madness?

..C..
........What is C?.........
...........ICO            Dec 1st – Dec 30th............
       ............Open            Dec 1st- Dec 30th............
...................ANN thread      Bounty....................

suchnekky

Activity: 294

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 08:01:30 AM

Is there an ETA on the wallet and website? Are the developers still here? You need to update this guys, investors are heavily invested in your coin and we need to know whats going on.

Furthermore. Pm each other if you want to bitch about darkcoin. Read the thread title, its monero, not darkcoin bitch thread.. go spam irc about your pansy ass whinging.

• ⓢⓤⓒⓗⓝⓔⓚⓚⓨ •
lovekfc

Activity: 19

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 08:04:03 AM

Amazing coin! the price rise so high!
AlexGR
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 08:11:04 AM

We'll find out.

And even more still---being a masternode owner is now creating a class within Darkcoin: Those who can afford masternodes and those who cannot.

That would always be a "problem" given that the monetary base is finite and only has so much coins to run nodes.

Remember that Dark wasn't always in this price level. 1000 DRK was like 1.3 - 1.4 BTC start-mid April. And people knew about masternodes before that, as well as the plan to make it expensive down the road. It's just that some opted to sell and take profit at 0.002, 0.004, 0.007, 0.01 etc. If you take the profit, of course you will have BTCs and not DRKs to run the masternode. You can't have everything.

if i had a master node i would rent a amazon or digital ocean server too, by the way is this still a good buy at this point, will we see another Aurora madness?

No idea where the price will be. Whales playing around and smaller guys stand and watch. What I do know is that coin-number-adjusted (=for the same number of coins in circulation, so that comparisons can be meaningful), DRK is 7.3 times cheaper than LTC. And I don't see LTC being better than DRK in terms of fundamentals, especially given the fact that LTC's primary mission to prevent ASICs has failed.

Aurora price though was artificial because the marketcap was affected by a premine that was valued based on the few coins in circulation. DRK's marketcap valuation is not with non-circulating coins.
Keyboard-Mash

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 08:12:26 AM

Is there an ETA on the wallet and website? Are the developers still here? You need to update this guys, investors are heavily invested in your coin and we need to know whats going on.

Furthermore. Pm each other if you want to bitch about darkcoin. Read the thread title, its monero, not darkcoin bitch thread.. go spam irc about your pansy ass whinging.

I like the attention, it's best that they come here so that we can hash out our misunderstandings. Regardless of opinions, both groups favor anonymity and privacy ... best to get our stories straight now rather than when the world comes to our front door.

I saw BitKoot post here today with another link to his wallet, but the news for it can best be gotten in that thread or IRC. It's a large amount of work that can't just be borrowed directly from the bitcoin protocol, so I hope we can learn to bear with them for a little bit longer. They got working pools up in about a week, so I'd like to think that a similar effort can be put toward the wallet.

The devs are here every day, and very active on IRC. Tacotime had some serious unfortunate business that needed to be taken care of this week. He'll be back on friday. But the pools are now working on a stratum implementation for us to use, which is much more efficient than the pools they've already put up.

Usually they keep us very updated, but I would imagine that with the amount of effort that they're putting into getting these things done sometimes the every few hours update gets missed.

Today I know noodledoodle and wolf worked on some miner optimizations and it's about 2x faster or so with computers with AES, so any newer processor gets a big boost. I think they put it in the OP, because i dled about an hour ago and everything was updated.

There's about 2 or 3 people working on a brand new website, I don't think it's going to use wordpress. It will also be a lot of work and will take a few days or week i would imagine.
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 08:22:15 AM

I like the attention, it's best that they come here so that we can hash out our misunderstandings. Regardless of opinions, both groups favor anonymity and privacy ... best to get our stories straight now rather than when the world comes to our front door.

Its reasonable to bring up DRK topics here to a point, when it involves similarities and differences compared with MRO.

But the last few posts (pages?) have just been about DRK pro-and-con, where the masternodes are physically located, whether masternodes are a rip off, and other stuff that is really not related to MRO at all. So it is probably best to move on with that conversation somewhere else.
Keyboard-Mash

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 08:28:47 AM

Its reasonable to bring up DRK topics here to a point, when it involves similarities and differences compared with MRO.

But the last few posts (pages?) have just been about DRK pro-and-con, where the masternodes are physically located, whether masternodes are a rip off, and other stuff that is really not related to MRO at all. So it is probably best to move on with that conversation somewhere else.

I totally agree. After all, it's a Monero thread!

More on topic I guess. I've been wondering about the tx_extra field.

Has anyone considered whether or not there should be some kind of "standard usage" protocol for that that we can supply?

Something to keep the exchanges and pools orgainzed, that might be suggested by us. I know some people tried to mine directly from the pool wallet to the exchange and that's a no-go right now.

Should we take on the responsibility of what goes on in that field right now, or should we let the pool software operators and exchanges figure it out? I'd lean toward us, but what do you think?
illodin

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 08:28:48 AM

So it is probably best to move on with that conversation somewhere else.

Agree. Better to concentrate on MRO, for instance, how does it plan to cope the increased usage if the ring signatures cause 8x the bloat bitcoin has?
BldSwtTrs
Legendary

Activity: 861
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 08:37:26 AM

Hey guys, can someone explain me like I am five the differences between Bytecoin and Monero?
Keyboard-Mash

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 08:37:55 AM

Also, with the newest speed increase in the miner we might have finally hit a few days where we can actually try to put together that spreadsheet you were talking about yesterday.

Has anyone taken that on? I haven't used google spreadsheet but I'm sure I could figure it out, so let me know and I'll try to put some time into it.
Keyboard-Mash

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 08:39:43 AM

Hey guys, can someone explain me like I am five the differences between Bytecoin and Monero?

ByteCoin is a currency used exclusively by a community of highly private, intelligent and respectable people. In trying to respect their desire to remain a closed community, Monero was created with the intent to achieve mass adoption.
restless
Legendary

Activity: 1151
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 08:47:02 AM

Is there a way to download boost 1.55 for Linux , or are there binaries for boost 1.53 (which is available for download from the site) ?!

Thank you for explaining why DRK is important or not important.  Roll Eyes
drawingthesun
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 08:48:43 AM

I'm not really sure about the Darknote defenders, it's a fact of life that new technology comes out often decimating the old.

This is that time.

Bytecoin could of had it sure, but greed ruined them, greed unravels all.

Monero's based on a technology that makes Darkcoin look like a toy, even the creator of CoinJoin (the tech Darkcoin is based on) has admitted this CryptoNote tech is far stronger than CoinJoin and works. [1]

The creator of the fundamental tech of Darkcoin admits the tech in Monero is superior.

I am unsure why there is even an argument in favour of Darkcoin at this point, except it's got great "pumping" power.

Yeah, let us build a future on top of it's ability to pump and pump.

Give me a break.

[1] Remember gmaxwell is talking about CryptoNote based technologies here, this includes Monero. Also I believe gmaxwell devised CoinJoin. If he says this then any argument Darkcoin fans have is now 100% void.

extremely interesting thread...what struck my eye was the slow validations which can cause a major clog with transactions when Dark Coin (based off of CoinJoin) gets bigger, right? The more coins transacted the slower the confirmations am I right in saying that?
No, not in a meaningful sense. Validation is very cheap. You do run into block size limits if you're trying to transact too much at once, but any privacy system is limited in its privacy by transaction volume.

"Dark Coin" really strikes me as pointless. The whole idea in coinjoin is that coinjoin is already part of the design of Bitcoin. There is no advantage in having a new and different system. If you're going to do something incompatible, losing Bitcoin's network effect in the process, then you can do something much stronger.

It also depresses me somewhat to see people talking about darkcoin (or even zerocoin/zerocash) when bytecoin has a privacy system with much better properties than CoinJoin (it's similar to CJ except you safely join with offline coin holders, and all users are participants), something made possible by the fact that it doesn't have to fit within the existing Bitcoin network, and it's completely practical, reasonably performant and deployed for some time now. But strangely, it's virtually unheard of...  Bytecoin's privacy properties are in some sense weaker than zerocoin's— since its like a supercharged coinjoin— but the cryptography is much stronger and much more efficient, so in practice I'd expect it to have better anonymity just due to it being much more practical (also as evidence to it existing as a deployed system).  ... so yea, if you actually are interested in privacy technology in a non-bitcoin system, Bytecoin seems to have pretty much nailed it.

ByteCoin is a currency used exclusively by a community of highly private, intelligent and respectable people. In trying to respect their desire to remain a closed community, Monero was created with the intent to achieve mass adoption.

The entire point of an anonymous currency is that you're mixing with the world helping break any linkage between coin movements. I can assure you they never intended to keep themselves closed forever, just long enough to build up their stacks.

Both are the same, Bytecoin has a 2 year chain where most of the coins have been mined, but it was only 'released' 9 weeks ago.

Monero is a movement to bring this technology to the worlds people without having the vast majority of the currency owned by a small few.

Also the Monero client and miners are all far faster than Bytecoin, the Monero developers have moved fast to prove themselves competent and able.

Monero's hashrate is vastly greater than Bytecoin's, indicating the community at large agrees with this assertion.
sammy007
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 08:49:49 AM

Is there a way to download boost 1.55 for Linux , or are there binaries for boost 1.53 (which is available for download from the site) ?!

Thank you for explaining why DRK is important or not important.  Roll Eyes

http://www.boost.org/users/download/

What distro? On ubuntu/debian you can install packages. It's not necessary to install 1.55, 1.53 also will be fine.
dreamspark

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 08:53:27 AM

[snip]

Great post, all the darkcoin holders need to know is what they are doing is already possible within bitcoin and also that the creator of coin join beleive cryptonote a better tech. I mean how can you argue with that  Huh

Monero is growing at an unprecendented pace so its natural for people who aren't on the train to try and trash talk.
Pages: « 1 ... 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 [163] 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 ... 2123 »
  Print  

Jump to: