Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 05:33:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 730 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765 [766] 767 768 769 770 771 772 773 774 775 776 777 778 779 780 781 782 783 784 785 786 787 788 789 790 791 792 793 794 795 796 797 798 799 800 801 802 803 804 805 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 815 816 ... 2124 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4667480 times)
drawingthesun
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 02:22:21 PM

If rpietila wants to change emission curve, and we also don't want to come off as preminers, couldn't we instead do this:

Change the initial supply to 36 million over 20 years, or even 72 million over 50 years?

This way us early holders won't be called preminers, and the supply won't hit 70% in 4 years time.

I think we should also make the minimum block reward 1 monero, and not <1 monero such as it is now.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
drawingthesun
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 02:27:15 PM

If rpietila wants to change emission curve, and we also don't want to come off as preminers, couldn't we instead do this:

Change the initial supply to 36 million over 20 years, or even 72 million over 50 years?

This way us early holders won't be called preminers, and the supply won't hit 70% in 4 years time.

I think we should also make the minimum block reward 1 monero, and not <1 monero such as it is now.

This is a good idea, changing the final block reward to keep minting 1 monero until its 36mm.

No no, the 1 xmr is forever (immortal) after the initial 18 mil is mined (or initial 36 mil, if that becomes the new initial emission rate)
bigj

Activity: 198
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 02:45:17 PM

This is a good idea, changing the final block reward to keep minting 1 monero until its 36mm.

No no, the 1 xmr is forever (immortal) after the initial 18 mil is mined (or initial 36 mil, if that becomes the new initial emission rate)

Playing around with the foundation of a (already established) currency, e.g., its emission curve or so, causes uncertainty, which in turn leads to drowning prices. Well done. Again, for what reason (other than speculation) is this discussed?

Nekomata

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 02:47:51 PM
Last edit: April 19, 2015, 05:26:34 AM by Nekomata

XMR is the future.
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 02:51:41 PM

Changing the total number of monero that will be created would be a breach of trust with all current holders. Changing the emission curve so that that same total amount was generated over a different time frame would not be as bad. But we really shouldn’t even be considering changing the total money supply.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 02:55:52 PM

I think the main argument on changing the emission is the coin will die in a few years when it is almost mined into dryness.
Sure I can take the current inflation and buy little by little more but then there is an issue of community premine, too.
It is fairer for the next adoptors to get some inflation, too. They most likely do not want to be the reason for price increase.

Touching the total coin supply is too horryfying idea even to consider.
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2014, 03:12:36 PM

So there is talk on the poloniex trollbox about changing the Monero emission rate to be slower.

Any thoughts about this? The great rpietila seems to be an advocate of emission rate change.

People can discuss, but there is no actual plan right now to do this.

EDIT: corrected typo to no actual plan

As price is already going down I see no reason to keep with the current emission as the only argument was so save some holders against possible dumps if it happened.

Its not the only argument.
Saving holders from dumps wouldn't be a persuasive argument in its own right anyway.

either way I see no reason to Monero keep its contract, everybody that hates Monero will keep on hatin and who likes Monero will keep going on or not, its pretty disgusting to read the amount of trolls that hate a coin, fuck them, it doesnt matter because price is way down, if the the majority of the community decides in favor of changing and the devs do it, I see no reason to not.

So you 1) wish a vote to be taken, 2) have a vote preference you advocate here for contract breaking, others may reasonably disagree with either 1 or 2, but even more important for me are...  
3) Change it to what, and why?
4) How to do this.
Does anyone know what the "right" emission rate is?  With a sufficiently good answer to (3), then your (1) and (2) become easier.  Without a sufficiently good answer to (3), we will be right back here in this discussion again later.

It may be fine and well to keep revisiting this topic, over and over again into the future, and keep working on fixing and perfecting the emission rate.  

Further, this ought be everyone's expectation if we do (1) and (2) without a definitive (3) (which I'd argue doesn't exist today)  The mechanism (4) for making these changes, and the reasons for making them will be important.  It would essentially create a somewhat de-centralized banking function to the coin that is forever changing the inflation rate in attempts to optimize the economy.

This would present an important innovation in alt coin development that will be impossible for the crypto currency world to ignore, for good or ill.  Get it right, and XMR may continue its rise to leadership.  Bungle (4) at it's great peril.

And realize also the gravity of this proposal you are making.  If XMR lives up to its promises, the actions we take here and now in this effort, will reverberate across decades into the future and impact the lives of billions of people.  It is probably worth getting it right.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2014, 03:14:02 PM

I think the main argument on changing the emission is the coin will die in a few years when it is almost mined into dryness.
Sure I can take the current inflation and buy little by little more but then there is an issue of community premine, too.
It is fairer for the next adoptors to get some inflation, too. They most likely do not want to be the reason for price increase.

I'm more horrified of not considering everything.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
Nekomata

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 03:15:39 PM
Last edit: April 19, 2015, 05:26:32 AM by Nekomata

XMR is the future.
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 03:25:50 PM

In my opinion no. It still comes off as an instamine (or more broadly shady/scammy) that the original rewards were based on some (larger) fraction of 18 million then everything is shifted such that future rewards become a smaller fraction of 36 million.

TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 03:27:28 PM

Yes, everything should be considered and discussed, price is already down and Monero has plenty of haters already, little harm being done.

I refrained earlier but now I think its time to discuss.

The problem with changing the total coin supply is touching in the fundamentals of the coin and therefore much scarier idea than just slowing the emission rate down.
In other words, changing emission rate is like a fixing a bug (bug= too fast emission which can be seen there is no buyers for the daily mined coins and therefore a lot of emission and thus future network security power is wasted).

Touching the number of coins is inflationary and touching the emission curve is simply fixing the problem that we have (community pre-mine).
Liquid71

Activity: 835

There is NO Freedom without Privacy

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 03:28:14 PM

So I guess the pump whales are in dump mode..BCX must have forced this pump and dump crew to end their little party early. Anticlimactic end for a pump and dump shitcoin with this much hype and drama surrounding it, thought their would be more fireworks. Undecided

TooDumbForBitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 03:35:44 PM

Yes, everything should be considered and discussed, price is already down and Monero has plenty of haters already, little harm being done.

The problem with changing the total coin supply is touching in the fundamentals of the coin and therefore much scarier idea than just slowing the emission rate down.
In other words, changing emission rate is like a fixing a bug (bug= too fast emission which can be seen there is no buyers for the daily mined coins and therefore a lot of emission and thus future network security power is wasted).

Touching the number of coins is inflationary and touching the emission curve is simply fixing the problem that we have (community pre-mine).

1.  no buyers for dally mined coins?  No problem, reduce the emission rate.
2.  no sellers for daily mined coins?   No problem, increase the emission rate.
3.  repeat 1 and 2 as needed
4.   Decentralization?  What's that?

▄▄                                  ▄▄
 ███▄                            ▄███
  ██████                      ██████
   ███████                  ███████
    ███████                ███████
     ███████              ███████
      ███████            ███████
       ███████▄▄      ▄▄███████
        ██████████████████████
         ████████████████████
          ██████████████████
           ████████████████
            ██████████████
             ███████████
              █████████
               ███████
                █████
                 ██
                  █
veil|     PRIVACY    
     WITHOUT COMPROMISE.      
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
|   NO ICO. NO PREMINE. 
   X16RT GPU Mining. Fair distribution.  
|      The first Zerocoin-based Cryptocurrency      
   WITH ALWAYS-ON PRIVACY.  
|

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄███████
   ████████
   ███▀
   ███
██████████
██████████
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███

▄▄█▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀█▄▄
   ▐██▄▄██████████████▄▄██▌
   ████████████████████████
  ▐████████████████████████▌
  ███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
 ▐██████     ████     ██████▌
 ███████     ████     ███████
▐████████▄▄▄██████▄▄▄████████▌
▐████████████████████████████▌
 █████▄▄▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀▄▄█████
  ▀▀██████          ██████▀▀
      ▀▀▀            ▀▀▀
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 03:38:19 PM

For case number 2 there is a bitcoinlike solution: the whales and early guys sells to noobs.
The heart of the problem is that Monero becomes fully mined way too fast at current block reward.
bigj

Activity: 198
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 03:51:33 PM

For case number 2 there is a bitcoinlike solution: the whales and early guys sells to noobs.
The heart of the problem is that Monero becomes fully mined way too fast at current block reward.

I cant see why the current emission rate is too fast. It's still a long way to go before "all" coins are mined.
surfer43

Activity: 560
Merit: 250

"Trading Platform of The Future!"

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 04:00:59 PM

If the problem is there is too short a time before the emission runs out, simply double the final supply.

Changing the emission is a ridiculous concept. Then what differentiates you from any other BCN fork? Oh wait, it was an ultra-fair community premine for the fairest coin that ever existed because.. because.. it was the first fork of BCN that conforms to our ever-changing concept of fairness!! In other words, Monero is fair because it is Monero.

DRK had too much of an instamine, a little is OK and completely justified because the "community" did it. Wink
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 04:09:33 PM

If the problem is there is too short a time before the emission runs out, simply double the final supply.

Changing the emission is a ridiculous concept. Then what differentiates you from any other BCN fork? Oh wait, it was an ultra-fair community premine for the fairest coin that ever existed because.. because.. it was the first fork of BCN that conforms to our ever-changing concept of fairness!! In other words, Monero is fair because it is Monero.

DRK had too much of an instamine, a little is OK and completely justified because the "community" did it. Wink

As I said before, touching the total number of coins is touching in the fundamentals but touching in the emission curve is a fixing the problem of almost instamine.
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 04:10:46 PM

I cant see why the current emission rate is too fast. It's still a long way to go before "all" coins are mined.

In just a few years the block reward is merely <1 XMR/block.
surfer43

Activity: 560
Merit: 250

"Trading Platform of The Future!"

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 04:14:11 PM

As I said before, touching the total number of coins is touching in the fundamentals but touching in the emission curve is a fixing the problem of almost instamine.

I am 99% positive that touching the emission curve is touching in the fundamentals.

The instamine problem is made worse when changing the emission curve without retroactively changing the current supply (i.e. 1 old XMR = 0.5 new XMR). I guess we can just call instamining solving the problem of an instamine.
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 04:18:32 PM

I am 99% positive that touching the emission curve is touching in the fundamentals.

The instamine problem is made worse when changing the emission curve without retroactively changing the current supply (i.e. 1 old XMR = 0.5 new XMR). I guess we can just call instamining solving the problem of an instamine.

I remind everyone that the design of this coin has always included a perpetual reward for mining incentives:

A minimum subsidy may be implemented in the future with <1% inflation to preserve mining incentives

In that case there is no specific finite supply so it makes no sense to talk about "doubling the supply."

Pages: « 1 ... 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 730 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765 [766] 767 768 769 770 771 772 773 774 775 776 777 778 779 780 781 782 783 784 785 786 787 788 789 790 791 792 793 794 795 796 797 798 799 800 801 802 803 804 805 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 815 816 ... 2124 »
  Print  

Jump to: