Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 09:09:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 ... 166 »
  Print  
Author Topic: How many bitcoins do I need to retire in 20 years?  (Read 320306 times)
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 05:06:06 PM

In reality I would say like 100+ bitcoins. if they hit $1000-5000 a piece then that is a decent chunk of money for retirement. I doubt they will reach the millions range..

$100-500,000 to fund several decades of non working? That doesn't sound like much of a life.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
azguard
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1001

Crypto-News.net: News from Crypto World

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 05:54:24 PM

Lets say I want to buy bitcoins today and store them for 20 years to use a my retirement fund.  Live comfortably, but don't need to buy a yacht or anything.  How many do you think I would need to buy?

Two coins maybe enough to survive for twenty years.

you can invest in some and w8 for it to jump then sold  and buy again when drops people do this all the time

▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
          ▄██████████████████▄
       ▄████████████████████████▄
 ▄▄  ▄████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████████▄
 ▀▀█████████████████████████████████▄
   ██████████████████████████████████
   ▀████████████████████████████████▀
    ▀██████████████████████████████▀
     ▀▀██████████████████████████▀
        ▀██████████████████████▀
           ▀▀▀████████████▀▀▀

BitcoinBlackjack

Activity: 182
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 05:56:16 PM

Absolutely impossible to give you an answer on this, as NOBODY knows what the price of btc will be in 20 years.
Sure everyone can guess, and someone will be close, but predicting the future value of an asset or currency is simply impossible. Same goes for any currency, art, stock, real estate, etc.

Include btc as a part of a BALANCED portfolio of assets!
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 05:59:12 PM

10 to 20 BTC been good  to be a long-term investment 20 years

10BTC is around ~2400 USD which normally in U.S you can earn within a month (maybe more or maybe less)
But if you think to retier with just a couple of thousands of dollars then i think that you are completely wrong.
I think maybe 10kBTC would be enough to retire but that cost a fortune (millions of dollars)

So you think that price of 1 BTC will be $240 in 20 years? Interesting!

it will be four digits price for sure maybe even five digits but this is hardly achievable on my estimations

Yes, I think so too. But the user above has implied that the price will be pretty much unchanged in 20 years. When you consider the inflation in the 20 next year's, this means that price will actually be 50% lower than today, if 1 BTC stays at the $240 level.

This is hard imaginable to me.

The US inflation has been very low lately. I think 0.2%~ per year in the last few years. Overall the US economy is fairly strong at the moment. But that can't last forever and even in the best case scenario, if the price stays at 240$~ it will mean a loss in buying power overall.

So you'd be better off putting your investment in a 5% annual bank account or many other things than hold Bitcoin under these conditions.

Do these bank still exist anywhere with 5% yearly interest? I don't think so honestly. In France, currently we have 0.75% yearly and quite honestly we are even happy with this, which is pure BS if you ask me.

And we are happy with this because Switzerland and Germany have already started introducing negaumtive interest rates of 1%, so just to hold your money in the bank account you give them 1% of your money.

Yes they do here, in Canada. With 1% inflation per year, it still better than just letting it sit, devaluing. You can get 4-7% depending if its a closed or open contract, etc etc.

With proper investments, you can double your fund every year. So 5% per year seem pretty mediocre, because inflation isint the only factor that increase the cost of life.

You have to make more with your money. Look at creditors, they earn anywhere from 7 to 20% per year, here, why would you be wasting your money sitting on 2-3% per year?

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
gentlemand
Legendary

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 06:15:48 PM

Do these bank still exist anywhere with 5% yearly interest? I don't think so honestly. In France, currently we have 0.75% yearly and quite honestly we are even happy with this, which is pure BS if you ask me.

Yes. There are plenty. It's a subject that often tempts people looking to save. Unfortunately they're always in the more obscure currencies and any sexy interest rate is likely to be mangled by currency movements or inflation. There ain't no free lunch.
NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 06:28:34 PM

Yes. There are plenty. It's a subject that often tempts people looking to save. Unfortunately they're always in the more obscure currencies and any sexy interest rate is likely to be mangled by currency movements or inflation. There ain't no free lunch.

That, or the money is locked for a LOOONG period of time (+20 years) and I doubt anyone would be interested in that..

Regarding the amount of bitcoin: Get the amount that will allow you to spend the amount you need to on a monthly basis when you retire. You need to calculate the total amount than from your expected price.
vendetahome

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 06:31:31 PM

well i never thought about getting enough bitcoins to retire in the future though i believe you need a decent amount of it like a few hundreds but thats just my opinion
jt byte

Activity: 994

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 07:46:43 PM

If you plan to invest now then you should have lots of money.
Maybe around 1 million to invest in bitcoin and wait to sell them when the price goes really high.
But that would be very risky because there is no guarantee what will happen in next 20 years.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 07:51:38 PM

Maybe around 1 million to invest in bitcoin and wait to sell them when the price goes really high.
But that would be very risky because there is no guarantee what will happen in next 20 years.

Thats a lot of money to just sit on BTC with it. I think it would be best to wait for BTC to crash again before buying that many. Also with that much money, i think you might be better off investing in a data center with very cheap electricity, which would probably earn you more BTC than you can buy right now with 1 million usd, over a year or two.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
letsplayagame

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 07:55:05 PM

Lets say I want to buy bitcoins today and store them for 20 years to use a my retirement fund.  Live comfortably, but don't need to buy a yacht or anything.  How many do you think I would need to buy?

Provide me with your life expectancy 20 years down the road and your inflation adjusted spending estimates during retirement plus your forecast for the price of bitcoin at that time. Then I can give you an estimate.

I am curious about one more thing. How do you plan to live comfortably without a yacht?

Chess, Bitcoin, Privacy and Freedom
Code:
 Make BTC Donations via XMR.TO or Shapeshift XMR: 47nMGDMQxEB8CWpWT7QgBLDmTSxgjm9831dVeu24ebCeH8gNPG9RvZAYoPxW2JniKjeq5LXZafwdPWH7AmX2NVji3yYKy76 
gentlemand
Legendary

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 08:04:34 PM

I am curious about one more thing. How do you plan to live comfortably without a yacht?

It can't be done. He may as well kill himself right now.
jt byte

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 08:20:09 PM

Thats a lot of money to just sit on BTC with it. I think it would be best to wait for BTC to crash again before buying that many. Also with that much money, i think you might be better off investing in a data center with very cheap electricity, which would probably earn you more BTC than you can buy right now with 1 million usd, over a year or two.

Investing in mining data centers (mining farm) is much better that investing in bitcoins.
This just stuck you there, the amount stays the same, so you are just waiting for a jump.
Having your own mining farm, means you have a team and you are earning continually bitcoins.
gentlemand
Legendary

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 08:25:35 PM

Investing in mining data centers (mining farm) is much better that investing in bitcoins.
This just stuck you there, the amount stays the same, so you are just waiting for a jump.
Having your own mining farm, means you have a team and you are earning continually bitcoins.

But these days you'd need a lot of capital to get started and you're up against some massively well funded organisations with access to facilities, tech and infrastructure most can only dream of.
jt byte

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 08:27:59 PM

But these days you'd need a lot of capital to get started and you're up against some massively well funded organisations with access to facilities, tech and infrastructure most can only dream of.

My suggestion above was to invest a high amount of money (~1million)
So instead of investing in bitcoins (buying it) you already are stucked there and you are waiting for a higher price to get profit.
A good alternative is investing that money in mining farm and you will get i think a higher profit, but it depends from the country,electricity etc..
gentlemand
Legendary

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 08:30:51 PM

So instead of investing in bitcoins (buying it) you already are stucked there and you are waiting for a higher price to get profit.
A good alternative is investing that money in mining farm and you will get i think a higher profit, but it depends from the country,electricity etc..

But you're up against people who've been doing it for years with tens of millions to spend. Unless you nail everything there's a risk of it all turning to dust extremely quickly.

It's certainly a possibility but the degree of risk is far, far higher than just buying some coins with an amount you don't mind losing and sitting on them. If you've a million or two to secure your future there are much better businesses to be going into. 
TheGr33k

Activity: 518

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 08:40:14 PM

Grab yourself 500 bitcoins and stockpile them across a few different cold-storage locations. This would be a good-start, but basing your retirement off an extremely volatile digital currency might be a mistake! Be careful with your money.
darkangel11
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1347

Defend Bitcoin and its PoW: bitcoincleanup.com

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 09:13:27 PM

If Bitcoin exists in 20 years you'll need only one or two to make a living. Bitcoin is all or nothing it will become big or leave just a wiki page and some old forums behind like so many inventions in the past.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
jt byte

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 09:42:26 PM

If Bitcoin exists in 20 years you'll need only one or two to make a living. Bitcoin is all or nothing it will become big or leave just a wiki page and some old forums behind like so many inventions in the past.

How much money does a person need to be retired?
I don't think that just with a single bitcoin you can make lots of money to live from that for the rest of the life.
The suggestion from TheGr33k is also great but it cost now 122,000 dollars at the moment.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 09:55:27 PM

But you're up against people who've been doing it for years with tens of millions to spend. Unless you nail everything there's a risk of it all turning to dust extremely quickly.

It's certainly a possibility but the degree of risk is far, far higher than just buying some coins with an amount you don't mind losing and sitting on them. If you've a million or two to secure your future there are much better businesses to be going into. 

Why would it matter? You can get electricity for 0.02$/kWh or less, you can buy batches of miners much more easily than a home miner, at even better prices. The conditions are geared toward these kind of buyers and operations.

It's home mining for most thats dead. Investing in a small data center is probably the best investment you can make relating to BTC at the moment.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
TheGr33k

Activity: 518

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 10:28:06 PM

How much money does a person need to be retired?
I don't think that just with a single bitcoin you can make lots of money to live from that for the rest of the life.
The suggestion from TheGr33k is also great but it cost now 122,000 dollars at the moment.

Yeah, and most retirement accounts suggest you have at least that amount to have a sufficient retirement!
First things first, just start putting 10%+ of your income into bitcoins, you will be pleased in 20-years.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 ... 166 »
  Print  

Jump to: