Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 03:15:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 ... 102 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [announce] Namecoin - a distributed naming system based on Bitcoin  (Read 594392 times)
midnightlightning

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 03:48:23 AM

1) patching latest bitcoind to support namecoin
Right, though it seems no one has a description of how the Namecoin client modified the Bitcoin P2P protocol, not just the RPC protocol, so rebuilding it from scratch would be more difficult. I presume a working namecoin client does allow the "rawtransaction" cli command to show some of the detail in a given transaction structure? (the blockexplorer site for Namecoin doesn't show that level of detail). I'm still struggling to get a working client compiled for my OSX box, so can't check myself.

Can anyone help me figure out why I'm getting this compile error trying to build the client? I'm using Macports for the library installations.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2347

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 03:55:15 AM

1) patching latest bitcoind to support namecoin
Right, though it seems no one has a description of how the Namecoin client modified the Bitcoin P2P protocol, not just the RPC protocol, so rebuilding it from scratch would be more difficult. I presume a working namecoin client does allow the "rawtransaction" cli command to show some of the detail in a given transaction structure? (the blockexplorer site for Namecoin doesn't show that level of detail). I'm still struggling to get a working client compiled for my OSX box, so can't check myself.

Can anyone help me figure out why I'm getting this compile error trying to build the client? I'm using Macports for the library installations.

Something to with the boost-filesystem package it seems ... maybe that it wasn't compiled for 64bit?

virtualmaster

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 06:49:38 AM

We need an updated client GUI which is password protected and intuitive for the masses to make namecoin more popular.
That would raise the need for namecoins and raise the prices what would bring more financial funds for development.

Calendars for free to print: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF Protect the Environment with Namecoin: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF
Namecoinia.org  -  take the planet in your hands
BTC: 15KXVQv7UGtUoTe5VNWXT1bMz46MXuePba   |  NMC: NABFA31b3x7CvhKMxcipUqA3TnKsNfCC7S
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 06:55:35 AM

Really does no one consider the possibility of making the GUI a web application that runs in browser on the users own machine? It would be like running an instawallet on your own computer with the possibility of entering in console commands.

more or less retired.
nelisky
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 08:02:20 AM

Really does no one consider the possibility of making the GUI a web application that runs in browser on the users own machine? It would be like running an instawallet on your own computer with the possibility of entering in console commands.

I just don't see how that helps getting the namecoin server easier to maintain and use. So you need users to either trust a central hub for all their transactions or build and run their own namecoind...
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 08:15:39 AM

Yes it has been considered, even with added functionality of enabling dot-bit browsing and future namespace extensions (ID, etc) ... but the security is difficult.

http://dot-bit.org/Namecoin_WUI

http://dot-bit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1300#p1300

virtualmaster

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 09:19:51 AM

Security is important and it is best if we base on the Satoshi client.
Before we implement new domains the .bit registration should be made more flexible.
Namecoin should be available for everybody but who is ready to pay for it should have additional features.
What is if somebody register a trademarked name(Google, Microsoft, ...) ? By the usual DNS lawyers are connected and they earn millions or billions. By .bit domains they would engage detectives to find out the real owner and pursue him and the detectives and lawyers earn again.
We could redirect this money flow to the namecoin system.

2 new registration features:
- Registered .bit domains could be contested for the 1.000x (tausendfold) of the regular registration fee and taken away.
- For the 10x of the registration fee .bit domains could be hardened so with no contestation they can be taken away.

This would bring more movement in the registration process and domain problems could be solved with namecoin.
That would bring more namecoin trade, domain hoarders cannot ask any price or they must pay more for hardened domains and would bring also more domain justice.

Calendars for free to print: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF Protect the Environment with Namecoin: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF
BTC: 15KXVQv7UGtUoTe5VNWXT1bMz46MXuePba   |  NMC: NABFA31b3x7CvhKMxcipUqA3TnKsNfCC7S
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 09:38:38 AM

Yes it has been considered, even with added functionality of enabling dot-bit browsing and future namespace extensions (ID, etc) ... but the security is difficult.

I was thinking of something that would run entirely self containe on the users computer. Apache, MySQL, everything. By default it would only allow a local (perhaps even requiring authentication) user to connect.

more or less retired.
midnightlightning

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 11:11:24 AM

The issue there is the blockchain; in order to do anything, or show the user anything, the web application needs a trusted copy of the blockchain. If it's a locally-running app, most users don't have a database program running on their local machine for a web app to hook into. As a public website that users can visit (like instawallet, or blockchain.info's wallet) that's very doable (the server also connects to the P2P network and trusts its own database records for users to query), and I mentioned that as something I'm looking into, using node, like the bitcoinjs project.
midnightlightning

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 11:22:58 AM

Something to with the boost-filesystem package it seems ... maybe that it wasn't compiled for 64bit?
Hmm, boost 1.53 is installed with the "+universal" variant from MacPorts, and there's no separate boost-filesystem port, so that looks to be it. I do have a /opt/local/lib/libboost_filesystem-mt.a file in that location. I did try running the command with 'sudo' in front, wondering if it might be local filesystem permissions, but that doesn't help either. I'll try re-installing the boost port and see if that helps. Thanks!
phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 01:18:45 PM

I was thinking of something that would run entirely self containe on the users computer. Apache, MySQL, everything. By default it would only allow a local (perhaps even requiring authentication) user to connect.
What would be the advantage over a normal GUI?
jonytk

Activity: 106

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 01:40:08 PM

What would be the advantage over a normal GUI?

A browser api that connects with a blockchain.info style page , will raise awareness and will be easy for the user, since he don't have to download all the nmc blockchain, or it could also connects to the local nmc-qt or nmc-id.

however for that to happen, as i understand the namecoin-id or the server side equivalent needs to be updated to support all the improvements,
if not is a work half-done and we could encounter bugs or security issues in the future.

I don't know the reasons of the abandon of the nmc project, but i know for sure that their value will skyrocket if there's a system in place. Even tor it's easyer to use than this at the moment. This project was supposed to super-seed tor making it more user friendly with proper name-addresses.

I would suggest offering the bounty in btc or fiat and maybe posting in a developers job for bitcoins page.
Or even contact the colored-coins people, they sure will want a data storage solution like NMC.

virtualmaster

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 02:27:59 PM

Or even contact the colored-coins people, they sure will want a data storage solution like NMC.

Colored coins could be integrated with the namecoin system and it would be fine if they animate the consumption of namecoins.

midnightlightning

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 01:17:50 PM

Hmm, boost 1.53 is installed with the "+universal" variant from MacPorts, and there's no separate boost-filesystem port, so that looks to be it. I do have a /opt/local/lib/libboost_filesystem-mt.a file in that location. I did try running the command with 'sudo' in front, wondering if it might be local filesystem permissions, but that doesn't help either. I'll try re-installing the boost port and see if that helps. Thanks!
No luck; still getting that error. Is anyone else's darwin/osx gcc-fu better than mine and can get a Mac binary compiled? I can muddle my way through C code (I'm a PHP/Python dev, mostly), but all the compiling nuances I haven't gotten my head around entirely.
midnightlightning

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 07:29:58 PM

Okay, so I can't get a working binary on my Mac right now, but I can delve through the source code, and that has been very enlightening, namely, that Namecoins really are just colored coins! I had thought that the Namecoin alt had modified the transaction structure in some way to handle setting the value of the registered name, but that doesn't look to be the case. Instead, Namecoin uses the Script of the transaction to set a value, and enforces that subsequent "name_update" transactions absorb the most recent unspent transaction of the same 0.01 NMC that was used to initialize the name in the first place. Namecoin usurps a few of the Script constants (namely OP_1, OP_2, and OP_3) and gives them special meaning. It constructs the Scripts to properly validate with the standard Bitcoin parser (it uses OP_DROP to drop off its special values before continuing with a standard transaction Script).

Namecoin's blockchain is at the same speed as Bitcoin's (10 minutes), and uses the same hashing methodology, just the genesis block is based on a different string. That aside, it looks to me that Namecoin's transactions would qualify as valid, non-standard Bitcoin transactions (non-standard because they use different opcodes in their Scripts). As far as I can tell, most all the other changes to the Namecoin source compared to Bitcoin's are to implement the merged mining idea.

So... given that "non-standard transactions" might be entering the community's awareness more, due to 0.8.2 marking microtransactions as non-standard, the question that comes to my mind is why is this an alt-chain at all? The same mining pools that have been convinced to run namecoin pools, could probably be convinced to run pools that accept non-standard Bitcoin transactions (or specific non-standard transactions that conform to a "namecoin standard script") instead, and "namecoins" could become colored Bitcoins with a particular script giving them a data value as well. Is there a strong benefit to having this be a completely separate blockchain?
phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 07:52:07 PM

bloat
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 09:17:52 PM

No luck; still getting that error. Is anyone else's darwin/osx gcc-fu better than mine and can get a Mac binary compiled? I can muddle my way through C code (I'm a PHP/Python dev, mostly), but all the compiling nuances I haven't gotten my head around entirely.

I'll see if i can get it compiled on a Mac OS for you and either tel you what I did or you could try my binary if you like ... what OSX are you on and 32 or 64bit? (also might be able to do it using clang I suppose)

It's great someone is taking a look ... interesting that vinced used OP codes inside Script, I've never taken that close a look ... adds to the mystery who was vinced and the contention that he was one of 'team nakamoto'

jonytk

Activity: 106

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 09:27:47 PM

Of course, the bitcoin dev/miners will say "bloat!" as soon as anyone try to store any information on it,

the value of nmc relies on the functions as a distributed database storage, and a un-censored dns, (imagine the goverments start blocking bitcoin exchanges!)

the merged mining was setup to assure the survival of nmc in all cases, however it had the side-effect of making nmc mining unproffitable.

however without a proper follow-up of updates and easy-ness of use it's not going to take-off, (chicken and egg problem)

it was thought that in the future, some-one will develop this, as in the current-state, a regulat user cannot figure how to use it.

I'm not sure if this was deliberated to prevent outsiders to use this technology or vinced got suck on something or just moved-on after losing interest.

PD: maybe lowering the transaction fees and giving some advertisement of the advantages of nmc will encourage the adoption of nmc from the colored-coin people. It is remarkable that much more information can be stored in nmc than btc. The system must be updated, but the only one that can do it is people holding nmc, the rest don't care...

Stampbit

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 09:34:43 PM

tried namecoin, wouldnt work.
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 05:22:52 PM

The issue there is the blockchain; in order to do anything, or show the user anything, the web application needs a trusted copy of the blockchain. If it's a locally-running app, most users don't have a database program running on their local machine for a web app to hook into. As a public website that users can visit (like instawallet, or blockchain.info's wallet) that's very doable (the server also connects to the P2P network and trusts its own database records for users to query), and I mentioned that as something I'm looking into, using node, like the bitcoinjs project.

Actually I was thinking the pesron would be a running a full LAMP setup. Albeit customised.

more or less retired.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 ... 102 »
  Print  

Jump to: