Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 12:05:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 ... 102 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [announce] Namecoin - a distributed naming system based on Bitcoin  (Read 594422 times)
khal

Activity: 540
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2013, 03:38:28 PM

A small bug report :

I transfered a name to a fresh namecoin-qt wallet, and in the transaction list it appears as "(n/a)" 0.00NMC (without the namecoin icon).
This wallet does not have the change address for that tx (it is in the other wallet) nor the input addresses.

However, the name appears in the "Manage names" tab.

Then, I've done a name_update from the GUI, and this one has the right label and icon in the transaction list (not yet confirmed, but should be ok).

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
snailbrain
Legendary

Activity: 1807
Merit: 1020

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 03:44:36 PM

A small bug report :

I transfered a name to a fresh namecoin-qt wallet, and in the transaction list it appears as "(n/a)" 0.00NMC (without the namecoin icon).
This wallet does not have the change address for that tx (it is in the other wallet) nor the input addresses.

Then, I've done a name_update from the GUI, and this one has the right label and icon in the transaction list (not yet confirmed, but should be ok).

did you try 3.62?

khal

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2013, 03:57:54 PM
Last edit: June 16, 2013, 04:52:35 PM by khal

A small bug report :

did you try 3.62?

I should have using it, but did not finished the compilation (not enough ram at that moment)...
Sorry if it is already fixed.
* khal is compiling

[edit: it's ok with 3.62]
phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 05:08:00 PM

vote for namecoin!

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=235025.0
khal

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2013, 06:10:04 PM

Done ! Smiley
virtualmaster

Activity: 504

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 08:34:07 PM

A small bug report :

did you try 3.62?

Yes.
without wallet encryption
 I tried now transaction and domain registration from GUI. It works fine. Importprivkey, importaddress and dumpprivkey works from the console.
By dumpprivkey first time remained hanging but second time worked.
As I see walletpassphrase and walletpassphrasechange was removed from the command list. In 3.56 was there.

I will try with encrypted wallet also to make transaction but from the console is difficult without the removed commands.
Transaction fee to move less then 1 namecoin inside of my wallet was 0.005 NMC, 1/3 of a domain registration fee. Was the same with the old wallet ?

Calendars for free to print: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF Protect the Environment with Namecoin: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF
Namecoinia.org  -  take the planet in your hands
BTC: 15KXVQv7UGtUoTe5VNWXT1bMz46MXuePba   |  NMC: NABFA31b3x7CvhKMxcipUqA3TnKsNfCC7S
snailbrain
Legendary

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 09:22:46 PM

A small bug report :

did you try 3.62?

Yes.
without wallet encryption
 I tried now transaction and domain registration from GUI. It works fine. Importprivkey, importaddress and dumpprivkey works from the console.
By dumpprivkey first time remained hanging but second time worked.
As I see walletpassphrase and walletpassphrasechange was removed from the command list. In 3.56 was there.

I will try with encrypted wallet also to make transaction but from the console is difficult without the removed commands.
Transaction fee to move less then 1 namecoin inside of my wallet was 0.005 NMC, 1/3 of a domain registration fee. Was the same with the old wallet ?

the commands should still be there.. are you sure using the correct version?

virtualmaster

Activity: 504

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 09:54:56 PM

I think so. This is staying there.
Namecoin version 0.3.62
Copyright © 2009-2013 The Bitcoin and Namecoin developers

help

backupwallet <destination>
buildmerkletree <obj>...
createrawtransaction [{"txid":txid,"vout":n},...] {address:amount,...}
decoderawtransaction <hex string>
deletetransaction <txid>
dumpprivkey <namecoinaddress>
encryptwallet <passphrase>
getaccount <namecoinaddress>
getaccountaddress <account>
getaddressesbyaccount <account>
getauxblock [<hash> <auxpow>]
getbalance [account] [minconf=1]
getblockbycount height
getblockbyhash hash
getblockcount
getblocknumber
getconnectioncount
getdifficulty
getgenerate
gethashespersec
getinfo
getmemorypool [data]
getnewaddress [account]
getrawtransaction <txid> [verbose=0]
getreceivedbyaccount <account> [minconf=1]
getreceivedbyaddress <namecoinaddress> [minconf=1]
gettransaction <txid>
getwork [data]
getworkaux <aux>
help [command]
importaddress <namecoinaddress> [label] [rescan=true]
importprivkey <namecoinprivkey> [label] [rescan=true]
listaccounts [minconf=1]
listaddressgroupings
listreceivedbyaccount [minconf=1] [includeempty=false]
listreceivedbyaddress [minconf=1] [includeempty=false]
listtransactions [account] [count=10] [from=0]
listunspent [minconf=1] [maxconf=9999999] ["address",...]
move <fromaccount> <toaccount> <amount> [minconf=1] [comment]
name_clean
name_debug
name_debug1 <name>
name_filter [regexp] [maxage=36000] [from=0] [nb=0] [stat]
name_firstupdate <name> <rand> [<tx>] <value>
name_history <name>
name_list [<name>]
name_new <name>
name_scan [<start-name>] [<max-returned>]
name_show <name>
name_update <name> <value> [<toaddress>]
sendfrom <fromaccount> <tonamecoinaddress> <amount> [minconf=1] [comment] [comment-to]
sendmany <fromaccount> {address:amount,...} [minconf=1] [comment]
sendrawtransaction <hex string>
sendtoaddress <namecoinaddress> <amount> [comment] [comment-to]
sendtoname <namecoinname> <amount> [comment] [comment-to]
setaccount <namecoinaddress> <account>
setgenerate <generate> [genproclimit]
setmininput <amount>
settxfee <amount>
signmessage <namecoinaddress> <message>
signrawtransaction <hex string> [{"txid":txid,"vout":n,"scriptPubKey":hex},...] [<privatekey1>,...] [sighashtype="ALL"]
stop
validateaddress <namecoinaddress>
verifymessage <namecoinaddress> <signature> <message>

that's all
---------
walletpassphrase
Error: running with an unencrypted wallet, but walletpassphrase was called. (code -15)

It seems that the command is there only help is not listing it.

Calendars for free to print: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF Protect the Environment with Namecoin: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF
Namecoinia.org  -  take the planet in your hands
BTC: 15KXVQv7UGtUoTe5VNWXT1bMz46MXuePba   |  NMC: NABFA31b3x7CvhKMxcipUqA3TnKsNfCC7S
snailbrain
Legendary

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 10:55:53 PM

I think so. This is staying there.
Namecoin version 0.3.62
Copyright © 2009-2013 The Bitcoin and Namecoin developers

help

backupwallet <destination>
buildmerkletree <obj>...
createrawtransaction [{"txid":txid,"vout":n},...] {address:amount,...}
decoderawtransaction <hex string>
deletetransaction <txid>
dumpprivkey <namecoinaddress>
encryptwallet <passphrase>
getaccount <namecoinaddress>
getaccountaddress <account>
getaddressesbyaccount <account>
getauxblock [<hash> <auxpow>]
getbalance [account] [minconf=1]
getblockbycount height
getblockbyhash hash
getblockcount
getblocknumber
getconnectioncount
getdifficulty
getgenerate
gethashespersec
getinfo
getmemorypool [data]
getnewaddress [account]
getrawtransaction <txid> [verbose=0]
getreceivedbyaccount <account> [minconf=1]
getreceivedbyaddress <namecoinaddress> [minconf=1]
gettransaction <txid>
getwork [data]
getworkaux <aux>
help [command]
importaddress <namecoinaddress> [label] [rescan=true]
importprivkey <namecoinprivkey> [label] [rescan=true]
listaccounts [minconf=1]
listaddressgroupings
listreceivedbyaccount [minconf=1] [includeempty=false]
listreceivedbyaddress [minconf=1] [includeempty=false]
listtransactions [account] [count=10] [from=0]
listunspent [minconf=1] [maxconf=9999999] ["address",...]
move <fromaccount> <toaccount> <amount> [minconf=1] [comment]
name_clean
name_debug
name_debug1 <name>
name_filter [regexp] [maxage=36000] [from=0] [nb=0] [stat]
name_firstupdate <name> <rand> [<tx>] <value>
name_history <name>
name_list [<name>]
name_new <name>
name_scan [<start-name>] [<max-returned>]
name_show <name>
name_update <name> <value> [<toaddress>]
sendfrom <fromaccount> <tonamecoinaddress> <amount> [minconf=1] [comment] [comment-to]
sendmany <fromaccount> {address:amount,...} [minconf=1] [comment]
sendrawtransaction <hex string>
sendtoaddress <namecoinaddress> <amount> [comment] [comment-to]
sendtoname <namecoinname> <amount> [comment] [comment-to]
setaccount <namecoinaddress> <account>
setgenerate <generate> [genproclimit]
setmininput <amount>
settxfee <amount>
signmessage <namecoinaddress> <message>
signrawtransaction <hex string> [{"txid":txid,"vout":n,"scriptPubKey":hex},...] [<privatekey1>,...] [sighashtype="ALL"]
stop
validateaddress <namecoinaddress>
verifymessage <namecoinaddress> <signature> <message>

that's all
---------
walletpassphrase
Error: running with an unencrypted wallet, but walletpassphrase was called. (code -15)

It seems that the command is there only help is not listing it.

strange..

what OS are you on?

i get the following extra commands (on windows)
walletlock
walletpassphrase <passphrase> <timeout>
walletpassphrasechange <oldpassphrase> <newpassphrase>

will get it looked at asap

snailbrain
Legendary

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 11:02:23 PM

If the wallet is not encrypted, "encryptwallet" appears. Otherwise "walletpassphrase" appears. This is normal, and it is the way it's done in Bitcoin.

bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2013, 11:31:12 PM

Great job

namecoin.info

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2013, 08:13:38 AM

Namecoin News Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=236340.0
Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2013, 09:06:25 AM

Nice, eager to see NMC actually get used, (not only sold/brought)
snailbrain
Legendary

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 05:08:25 PM

added name filter to Manage Names..

I will update this thread for QT Updates (apart from major updates) in the future
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=236375.0

We will update the news thread with latest official releases along with other software

lunarboy

Activity: 544

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 10:54:26 AM

Great intro article on Coindesk.

http://www.coindesk.com/what-are-namecoins-and-bit-domains/

or up vote at reddit if you want to get others to have a read

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1gltoi/what_are_namecoins_and_dot_bit_domains/

d'aniel

Activity: 461
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 06:25:04 AM

I've been spending a bit of time learning about Namecoin, and a couple questions/thoughts came to mind: 

1) Would it make more sense for the Namecoin blockchain to only know about (name, hash(value)) pairs instead of the full values?  Storage and serving of full values could then remain optional for blockchain-verifying nodes, and there would be a great deal of flexibility with how (hash(value), value) pairs are stored and served - e.g. a DHT could be used to store and serve these, but there doesn't have to be one single way.  Then nodes could be discerning about what data they want to store and serve, while still being able to verify the Namecoin blockchain.  It would also reduce the necessary burden on miners, making them more likely to mine.

2) Proper name revocation seems to be a necessary feature for Namecoin to function as a PKI, so I'm wondering if this is addressed?  If yes, then if the private key controlling my name is compromised and an attacker transfers control of the name to himself, do I have any time window to revoke the name altogether?  If I revoke a name, how long before somebody can claim it?  If name revocation isn't currently possible, do the devs think it would be a valuable enough feature to support?
phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 06:40:16 AM

I've been spending a bit of time learning about Namecoin, and a couple questions/thoughts came to mind: 

1) Would it make more sense for the Namecoin blockchain to only know about (name, hash(value)) pairs instead of the full values?  Storage and serving of full values could then remain optional for blockchain-verifying nodes, and there would be a great deal of flexibility with how (hash(value), value) pairs are stored and served - e.g. a DHT could be used to store and serve these, but there doesn't have to be one single way.  Then nodes could be discerning about what data they want to store and serve, while still being able to verify the Namecoin blockchain.  It would also reduce the necessary burden on miners, making them more likely to mine.
you can do that now...    the idea is to make the value data cost and then let the user decide

2) Proper name revocation seems to be a necessary feature for Namecoin to function as a PKI, so I'm wondering if this is addressed?  If yes, then if the private key controlling my name is compromised and an attacker transfers control of the name to himself, do I have any time window to revoke the name altogether?  If I revoke a name, how long before somebody can claim it?  If name revocation isn't currently possible, do the devs think it would be a valuable enough feature to support?
If somebody steals your private keys you are out of luck (just as with Bitcoin). It might be possible to have layers of two or more names where you can keep the first level more secure than the second level and can use the first level to revoke the second level. E.g. the master name imports a secondary name that is used for everyday business. All this is not implemented as of now.

d'aniel

Activity: 461
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 08:18:35 AM
Last edit: June 25, 2013, 08:43:54 AM by d'aniel

1) Would it make more sense for the Namecoin blockchain to only know about (name, hash(value)) pairs instead of the full values?  Storage and serving of full values could then remain optional for blockchain-verifying nodes, and there would be a great deal of flexibility with how (hash(value), value) pairs are stored and served - e.g. a DHT could be used to store and serve these, but there doesn't have to be one single way.  Then nodes could be discerning about what data they want to store and serve, while still being able to verify the Namecoin blockchain.  It would also reduce the necessary burden on miners, making them more likely to mine.
you can do that now...    the idea is to make the value data cost and then let the user decide
Oh, sorry for the ignorance.  Though I don't quite understand what you mean by this...

If somebody steals your private keys you are out of luck (just as with Bitcoin). It might be possible to have layers of two or more names where you can keep the first level more secure than the second level and can use the first level to revoke the second level. E.g. the master name imports a secondary name that is used for everyday business. All this is not implemented as of now.
Fair enough, being able to revoke names after a transfer is probably going too far.  The goal is really only to be able to announce in an unjammable way that one's control over a name has been compromised.  I'm thinking this could be done by allowing a name to be 'double spent' at any point along its history (up to a reasonable limit), where the transaction merely adds a change-of-ownership flag at that point, and therefore doesn't mess with the name's value or who owns it.

Edit: I guess you could just reuse the same address during value updates, and only change addresses when you're transferring ownership.  Address reuse isn't as bad with Namecoin since there's no linking of coins like with Bitcoin, but this would mean public keys are revealed well in advance of a transfer, making them more prone to attack in the event that weaknesses are found in the signing algorithm.  Would these special flagging transactions be worth adding in order to keep public keys secret?
maxpower

Activity: 456
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 10:22:38 PM

Guys, I want to install Namecoin client but I'm failing miserably lol. I downloaded windows version at http://dot-bit.org/Main_Page, then I run the installer namecoind.exe and a command pormpt pops up and disappers, nothing happens then.  Huh I'm confused. Is there a tutorial or something, how to install MNC? thx!

The original Namecoin GUI client is pretty basic. Work is being done on an updated GUI client, though. See this thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=236375.0

Mac Altcoin Wallets: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=216672 | Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=205035.0
BTC: 13wuRW8v1PtZrbKKrBfT5JcuiCwpMqpCmY
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 11:16:56 PM

Guys, I want to install Namecoin client but I'm failing miserably lol. I downloaded windows version at http://dot-bit.org/Main_Page, then I run the installer namecoind.exe and a command pormpt pops up and disappers, nothing happens then.  Huh I'm confused. Is there a tutorial or something, how to install MNC? thx!

The original Namecoin GUI client is pretty basic. Work is being done on an updated GUI client, though. See this thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=236375.0

Just to nip any confusion in the bud right here, there never was any 'original namecoin GUI client' ... only ever the namecoind daemon, that you interface with cli rpc calls.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 ... 102 »
  Print  

Jump to: