Bitcoin Forum
May 15, 2024, 02:49:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 [118] 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] ORA :: NXT 'monetary system' currency  (Read 181161 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
DarkhorseofNxt

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 12:07:36 PM

thanks DarkhorseofNxt . you did lots of things for ORA .

Do we have any plan except waiting the open-source of QORA .  it seems QORA meet some problem after QORA'AE came out.

Zhile, Ora will not use QORA SC due to the uncertainty of source code release date and also for possible traps. Ora team has decided to use a more established sc and as per Nio's previous post, ORA is now in the planning & designing phase. It will take some time, definitely, therefore a few "get to know ORA programmes" will be launched from time to time until the wallet is released for which we will need your support!  Grin

This is a long term project, meaning months away from a release.  Right now we are in the planning and design phase.  You can find the prelim project plan here:  https://github.com/nioccoin/ora_project/releases/tag/v1.0 (https://github.com/nioccoin/ora_project/releases/tag/v1.0).

Kora (OP)

Activity: 308

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 08:52:24 AM

New code? Great job,anybody have read the code?Whats about the distribution in Sep?We need more menbers Grin

I'm looking for the source code to take a look but I've seen that there's no link to any github repository or webpage to check it.
Can the dev or dev-team member reply to us with a link to check the source code?

Thanks in advance!

This is a long term project, meaning months away from a release.  Right now we are in the planning and design phase.  You can find the prelim project plan here:  https://github.com/nioccoin/ora_project/releases/tag/v1.0.

We are concurrently in the process of working on the website, which has had a start-to-finish constraint with the logo contest, which is now over.  We are continually collecting ideas from stakeholders about what they would like to see in Ora in terms of features and what not.  Also, the team is conducting  some community-building contests, with more to come as the weeks and months go by.

We're building a coin, not just code.

kind regards,
nio

Yes, ORA is a bit of a strange (star)fish compared to other coin projects Smiley

Someone asked a similar question on nxtforum.org so I'll post my response here.

Cool. Are they still waiting for Qora to open source, or are they forking some other coin?

Our lead developer, nio, decided to reject the plan to base ORA on a modified version of Qora, which the other ORA community members all agreed was a wise move. We haven't decided which code base we will use as our starting point, but a lot of good work is going on behind the scenes. ORA is a longer term project, and we've purposely changed the order things happen compared to previous coin projects.

Many previous coins have ordered things like this (sort of):
1- someone(s) creates a tech vision and some code
2- they attract a small number of early adopter 'evangelists'
3- distribution starts (PoW:mining, PoS:IPO or giveaway)
4- marketing & community building proceed
5- result - mature code, vibrant community and ecosystem

With ORA the order will be quite different:
1- someone(s) creates a very broad outline for a possible project and proposes some key features only (i.e. tech, community structure, funding etc)
2- community building starts to attract early adopters & evangelists
3- paritial distribution happens (excess coins held in trust for later distribution)
4- decision making structure is established ... decisions are made
5- tech vision & code creation starts
6- result - mature code, vibrant community and ecosystem

Obviously things are happening simultaneously with both those road maps, and I've grossly oversimplified things, but hopefully it makes it easier to understand what's going on with ORA.

I'm confident ORA will end up with some very innovative tech, but what that'll be I'm not sure yet, and as a non tech person, it's not something that I can directly effect as a coder, but I can indirectly through discussions with the more tech oriented members of the ORA community.

For a non-tech person it's very rewarding to be included in tech discussions BEFORE the tech has been fully decided Smiley

Changing the order things are happening will hopefully lead to some interesting outcomes for ORA. For a start it gives non tech people like myself the opportunity to still influence how the coin *might* work, even though my tech skills are very limited. I've been around the crypto scene for a while, and I have valid opinions, and with ORA, I can join in discussions on what tech options ORA might have, even though I can't contribute a line of code. The other exciting thing for ORA is we have specifically set things up as a decentralised 'Starfish' from day 1, and nobody is in charge. I was the catylyst, but I'm not the developer, and I'm not in control of our substantial war chest of bounty funds and undistributed stakes (we have two community treasurers, Darkhorse & fragORA), so my influence on things is no greater than anyone elses.

Another key difference is we have allocated a large proportion of ORA coins to pay people for their work, but we'll still distribute those payments using decentralised 'starfish' principles (i.e. we plan to use a voting system to decide things).

ORA is a long term project, and we're still right at the beginning in many ways, and everyone is more than welcome to get involved. It might be a while before we have a finished client, but there's still plenty of good things just about to happen!

Kora (OP)

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 10:29:33 AM
Last edit: September 25, 2014, 12:20:12 PM by Kora

I was thinking today about the processes we're going through trying to bootstrap ORA, and one key difference with many other coins is the order things are happening, which I mentioned in a previous post today. That got me thinking in a general sense about the effects changing the order things happen in a project can have, and how that effects the end result.

As a non technical person, but an avid crypto supporter, my contribution to ORA is almost like that of an entertainment promoter, an area of life I've had some experience with in the past. I have always seen many useful parallels between the entertainment and crypto worlds. Lots of talented people, lots of creativity, lot's of 'cloning' and 'reworking' ideas, lot's of borrowing ideas from past  creators ... and lots of scamming, lots of money, lots of people getting ripped off.

With music there are two basic strategies to follow if you want to help promote your favourite style of music, but you're not a musician yourself.
Plan 1
- Find musicians & bands you think have talent
- Help organise getting a demo recording
- Organise small gigs
- promote promote promote
- help make small gigs successful
- build a small fan base
- Organise slightly bigger gigs
- help make slightly bigger gigs successful
- build a slightly bigger fan base
- repeat repeat

That's a tried and true strategy for promoting music - funk, jazz, rock, reggae, classical, R&B, hip hop - same for any style really.

There are other strategies you can use too.

Plan 2
- Pick your basic music style (e.g. rock, jazz, funk, classical etc)
- Find a LARGE suitable venue for that style that will take a profit share, so a smaller upfront fee
- get creative with advanced ticket sales (i.e. cheap deals, sell wholesale to ticket outlets etc)
- using the prestige of the LARGE venue, the advanced ticket sales, and YOUR good reputation, offer a great profit share deal to a recognised  middle sized band
- add YOUR band (the one your committed too) as the support act to the recognised band

You can easily modify Plan 2 into organising a 'festival'.

The key difference between Plan 1 & Plan 2 is the order in which things happen. With both plans you still (hopefully) end up helping to promote a  successful music event to support your band, but with Plan 1 your starting point is a particular finished product (i.e a particular band), and with Plan 2 your starting point is the  LARGE venue, and attracting enough buzz to set off some positive re-enforcing feedback loops.

Now this is what I was thinking about today. If you're a musician (or a coder like Satoshi or BCNext) your 'IN' a particular band, so you'll automatically be attracted to Plan 1, promote YOUR band. Guys in up-and-coming bands don't usually organise musical festivals, and gun coders don't generally promote other crypto coins. There are exceptions, Bob Geldoff and jl777 come to mind, but other than those guys most musicians/coders stick to Plan 1.

BUT, if you're a music fan (or a crypto fan like myself and many others here), then Plan 2 will probably appeal more if you want to get your hands dirty, because you can actually contribute to Plan 2, rather than just waiting to buy tickets for another guy's Plan 1 show Smiley

If you look into the history of Woodstock, the first BIG mega festival held in 1969, the organisers followed Plan 2 (that's what I was thinking about today, how Woodstock was created by 'little people' like ORA'farians). The big name band they first signed up was Credence Clearwater Revival, and after that getting all the bigger name bands became a lot easier, but the thing they spent all the effort on at the start was the venue, stage design, promotions etc In effect they were promoting a rock concert/festival BEFORE they had any bands signed up, which is a bit like what ORA is doing now, creating the community and branding etc before we have the actual coin software!

With ORA, we're like Plan 2. We're focusing our collective efforts on some of the other aspects of a successful coin ecosystem, and while we're confident we'll produce some very innovative software as the end result, we're going about things a little differently to other coins, and the order we do things will be different to what many are used to.

I can see many advantages following Plan 2 for ORA, but the biggest for me is if we leave some of the details about the finished product for later, then we increase the chances that the inputs used to create the final product will be of a higher quality.

That's what happened with Woodstock. Once the organisers had negotiated with the farmer who owned the field which became the venue for Woodstock, and once the 'BUZZ' around their festival idea took hold, they only needed to sign one biggish band (Credence) and all the other big name bands of the day could see what was happening, so they were much easier to sign, and the Woodstock band line up ended up being totally amazing.

If you've got a venue full of  ~400,000 people then Jimmie Hendrix & Santana call YOU, and you naturally say YES Smiley

That's what I *hope* will happen with ORA, if we create a great "venue" with a big "audience", the talent will want to join our lead dev, nio, and help us make ORA the first crypto Woodstock lol

DarkhorseofNxt

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 11:56:19 AM
Last edit: September 25, 2014, 01:28:10 PM by DarkhorseofNxt

Interesting thoughts Kora. Well i just want to let you guys know, i was going through the stakeholder's list in nxtblocks.info, ( https://nxtblocks.info/#section/assets_exchange/stakeholders/16194910134118257692 ), to my surprise (a good one), there are still more than 550 stakeholders whom are still holding and has doubled their Ora holdings. From the initial 839, my guess, less than 1/3 has dumped their stake, and the remaining are still holding. I think this is great! Cool

Btw guys, you still have Ora to claim. make a meme and post them in oraforum.org and nxtforum.org. No restrictions, keep making memes. There are some very interesting memes.  Grin

https://nxtforum.org/assets-board/(ann)-ora-logo-meme-giveaway-5000-ora-assets!/

coinsolidation

Activity: 294

Bitmark Developer

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2014, 05:58:40 PM

one key difference with many other coins is the order things are happening

I read your examples as saying fill the venues with who the audience wants rather than trying to push who you want at an unwilling audience.

In project terms we (the extended bitmark community) term this adoption and community driving innovation, rather than innovation driving adoption.

It's good to keep things loosely defined adding what is needed or adapting existing things over time.

Living evolving projects are far more enjoyable and useful than more rigid 'fixed product offering' style projects.

Your example of woodstock is pertinent, I believe crypto currency shares many roots with the counterculure movement from which woodstock was born.

Bitmark (reputation+money) : Bitmark v0.9.4 (release)
Kora (OP)

View Profile
September 27, 2014, 06:34:51 AM

one key difference with many other coins is the order things are happening

I read your examples as saying fill the venues with who the audience wants rather than trying to push who you want at an unwilling audience.

In project terms we (the extended bitmark community) term this adoption and community driving innovation, rather than innovation driving adoption.

It's good to keep things loosely defined adding what is needed or adapting existing things over time.

Living evolving projects are far more enjoyable and useful than more rigid 'fixed product offering' style projects.

Your example of woodstock is pertinent, I believe crypto currency shares many roots with the counterculure movement from which woodstock was born.

Thanks coinsolidation! Yes, that's it, you can't create a resilient, vibrant, active decentralised community by forcing something on people. In some circumstances that's possible (e.g. there is only one option available due to economies scale and/or natural monopolies) but with crypto there are no barriers to new entrants, so in order to succeed you need people to willingly use your tech. That element of 'free choice' in a crowded market will be a powerful force. With many traditional goods & services there is a strict division between the provider and the user, or the producer and the consumer, but with decentralised crypto who is the producer, and who is the consumer?

A better organisational model for crypto would be something like 'fans' of a band. Who is the leader of a band's 'fans', or trekies, or star wars fans, or all those people who love 'something' so much they just spontaneously join in activities with other like minded people. Think of all the people who love dressing up at comic con, or people who dress up in character costumes to watch Rockie Horror Picture Show movie at the cinema? Nobody 'leads' those groups, but to organise those things does require 'actions' from committed people, so their is 'leadership'. Those are good models for community organisation. Could the government ever outlaw trekies? Fans spontaneously organise into starfish communities. So, what is the glue that binds 'fans' together? Common interests, beliefs, etiquette, taste, values, goals etc ... and having fun is critical. If there's no compulsion involved, then it's going to be hard to get people involved if it's not enjoyable. Doge is fun, so they have a big community. There are plenty of other coins with more technical merit than doge that are languishing in the doll drums because they aren't attracting users.

In order to create a vibrant decentralised community I think it's very important that we leave a lot of the technical details open for a while, that way we can incorporate the talents and ideas of those that join ORA later. Our job at the moment is to set some broad objectives and parameters, and to try and focus on the things that make a great community. IMO the most important ingredient is the PEOPLE! Without good people, even the best tech will fail, and for a well functioning community we need a range of people with different skills, not just technical.

Another similarity I can see with Woodstock is how we judge success too. Woodstock was actually a financial disaster for the organisers but none of the people involved would see that as an indicator of failure. Quite the contrary, even during the event they could tell the impact it was likely to have, but they knew they were all going to be saddled with a massive debt. I think they all wanted Woodstock to be financially successful, but that wasn't their primary goal, and I can see many developers and activists in the crypto community who have the same attitude. If you can make your living from something you'd love doing for free, then you never work another day in your life. That's sort of how I feel about my involvement with crypto. I can make my living doing something I'm really interested in, and something I think is truly useful and beneficial for ordinary people like me, but making loads of money isn't my major goal, and I think the vast majority of crypto activists are the same.

tomavbttt

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 27, 2014, 11:00:33 AM

I recently no attention, ORA exactly which software is to want to clone?
 Shocked
coinsolidation

Bitmark Developer

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2014, 06:36:16 PM

Thanks coinsolidation! Yes, that's it, you can't create a resilient, vibrant, active decentralised community by forcing something on people. In some circumstances that's possible (e.g. there is only one option available due to economies scale and/or natural monopolies) but with crypto there are no barriers to new entrants, so in order to succeed you need people to willingly use your tech. That element of 'free choice' in a crowded market will be a powerful force. With many traditional goods & services there is a strict division between the provider and the user, or the producer and the consumer, but with decentralised crypto who is the producer, and who is the consumer?

A better organisational model for crypto would be something like 'fans' of a band. Who is the leader of a band's 'fans', or trekies, or star wars fans, or all those people who love 'something' so much they just spontaneously join in activities with other like minded people. Think of all the people who love dressing up at comic con, or people who dress up in character costumes to watch Rockie Horror Picture Show movie at the cinema? Nobody 'leads' those groups, but to organise those things does require 'actions' from committed people, so their is 'leadership'. Those are good models for community organisation. Could the government ever outlaw trekies? Fans spontaneously organise into starfish communities. So, what is the glue that binds 'fans' together? Common interests, beliefs, etiquette, taste, values, goals etc ... and having fun is critical. If there's no compulsion involved, then it's going to be hard to get people involved if it's not enjoyable. Doge is fun, so they have a big community. There are plenty of other coins with more technical merit than doge that are languishing in the doll drums because they aren't attracting users.

In order to create a vibrant decentralised community I think it's very important that we leave a lot of the technical details open for a while, that way we can incorporate the talents and ideas of those that join ORA later. Our job at the moment is to set some broad objectives and parameters, and to try and focus on the things that make a great community. IMO the most important ingredient is the PEOPLE! Without good people, even the best tech will fail, and for a well functioning community we need a range of people with different skills, not just technical.

Exactly.  Diverse communities have diverse skills, collaborative projects enable anybody to contribute whatever they want.  Importantly, as you say, because they are compelled to do so themselves, rather than commissioned to do so.

WWW is the ultimate example.

Ora has the beliefs, etiquette, taste, values, goals you mention.  A central set of ideas is important for people to gather around.  What are trekies without Star Trek?  I am ashamed to admit, I don't know what this thing people gather around is for Ora, can you enlighten?

Another similarity I can see with Woodstock is how we judge success too. Woodstock was actually a financial disaster for the organisers but none of the people involved would see that as an indicator of failure. Quite the contrary, even during the event they could tell the impact it was likely to have, but they knew they were all going to be saddled with a massive debt. I think they all wanted Woodstock to be financially successful, but that wasn't their primary goal, and I can see many developers and activists in the crypto community who have the same attitude. If you can make your living from something you'd love doing for free, then you never work another day in your life. That's sort of how I feel about my involvement with crypto. I can make my living doing something I'm really interested in, and something I think is truly useful and beneficial for ordinary people like me, but making loads of money isn't my major goal, and I think the vast majority of crypto activists are the same.

Agreed, we share this goal Smiley

lakala

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 27, 2014, 07:05:49 PM

Thank you, hoping more to follow.

BitNet(VPNCOIN)第二论赠币:VikSbFcj3ogVByPajAYzvuAEoWir9shYNZ
Kora (OP)

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 05:44:47 AM
Last edit: September 28, 2014, 06:20:01 AM by Kora

Ora has the beliefs, etiquette, taste, values, goals you mention.  A central set of ideas is important for people to gather around.  What are trekies without Star Trek?  I am ashamed to admit, I don't know what this thing people gather around is for Ora, can you enlighten?

I must admit that I don't fully understand the 'thing' that ORA'farians are gathering around either Smiley

I'm not sure what ORA is yet, but I can outline some key elements that are important to me.

If I continue my analogy of music promotion again, I'm trying to help create the biggest coolest 'gig' I can, and I know it's going to be a 'rock' concert, but I still don't know who's going to play on stage yet, so I can only describe the 'music' in a general sense, but I know the common elements needed for a great show (lights, sound equipment, stage, audience etc), so I'll start working on the things I can do something about now, and try and get as much help from other like minded people as I can.

There is a big 'chicken & egg' problem here - to get a great "band" I need to put on a BIG show worthy of their talent, but to organise things like a stadium venue and sell advanced tickets, I need to have a big name "band" already signed up, and I'm just a little unknown guy, so who's going to let me book their enormo-dome stadium? That's the problem the Woodstock guys had, and ORA is in a similar situation now. We want to create a 'dream team' of developers and community activists all focused on achieving a common goal, and with shared core values, but we do have a 'chicken & egg' problem in attracting people to join ORA when we still don't know what ORA exactly is yet!

I'm trying to consciously learn from all the other coin projects I know of to try and synthesis together the key ingredients needed for a successful coin, and I want to participate, even though I'm not a developer, and I want others to participate too, even if they're not a dev either.

These are some things about ORA that are important to me!

Starfish community
ORA has no leader, so it isn't dependent on any single person, or even a small number of people. In practice we are very early in our development, and the number of people actively engaged now is very small (around 6), so if somebody dropped out now from the core group it would make things difficult, but I think ORA would continue to exist. I don't expect that to happen, and anybody is free to join ORA at any time.

When I say 'core group' I mean the group of people who freely decided they liked what I was saying, and they either contacted me and offered to help, or they responded positively when I asked them to help me with a particular task. One of the key features to a decentralised community is people self-select for tasks, so at the beginning things happen slowly, because there's nobody in charge. Human's are almost hardwired to work in hierarchies, so we almost wait to be told what to do. That slowly changes as things happen around us, and we get inspired by the actions of those around us, and momentum builds.

Speaking for myself, the decentralised aspect of ORA community is the most important feature. If I had to drop out ORA would go on, if nio had to drop out ORA would go on, if Mac Red or Darkhorse or fragORA or Pentamon had to drop out ORA would go on. That's my primary objective as the catalyst. That also means ANYONE can join ORA! You don't need to ask for permission, and nobody can tell you what to do. That means things happen slowly at the start, but as time goes on I suspect ORA output will grow and grow, and momentum will build, and eventually our development cycle will explode, but at the moment we're a tortoise, or a little seed under the ground Smiley

ORA distribution and community processes must be based on fair principles
Some get very hung up when someone talks about 'fairness' in regards to coin distribution. Yes, 7 billion people on our planet and ORA had a FREE distribution to ~800 people, how can that be fair? What about all the people who missed out? Very good points, but that doesn't mean ORA can't strive to have fair processes.

IMO fairness is NOT about giving everyone the same sized stake, it's more about fair processes, being transparent, giving everyone an opportunity to join in and contribute, not being exclusive. Sometimes it's impossible to define 'fairness' before the fact, but most reasonable people can spot 'unfairness' when they see it. Fairness is also about being flexible enough to take on board constructive criticism and adjust things if needed.

I happen to think fairness is a key ethical goal to strive for in life, but disregarding that motivation, fairness is a pre-requisite for wider acceptance, and ORA needs to gain acceptance to succeed. If you read the posts of long time bitcoiner Risto Pietila he makes that point often regarding monero. He will accept monero because it had a 'fair' launch, so it will be accepted by the market. I don't think risto is a leftist socialist, so the appeal of monero is not because it's free equal stakes in a giveaway like ORA. Rather, he's an experienced follower of the crypto markets, and Risto knows if something is judged as being 'unfair' it probably wont succeed. Risto and I probably disagree on how to achieve a 'fair' distribution, but I'm confident we would both agree that if the market judges your distribution wasn't 'fair' then your coin wont be accepted. That's why monero and litecoin were accepted, and tenebrix and bytecoin were not. Being 'Fair' is just as much about the head as it is about the heart. Unfairness eventually makes things unworkable.

ORA should be sustainable
ORA will not be a traditional PoW coin, so we need to find a way to secure the network without mining. I only have suggestions here (how to maximise the number of people running the ORA software) and ultimately nio and the dev team will put together a solution to achieve that. There are many advantages to PoW, but long term I don't think the wider non-crypto community will accept the required 'wasted' electricity and computing resources needed to support a PoW coin network. There are many options ORA can take here, and I think nio is very open to hearing suggestions from other developers. Ultimately we're trying to assemble the best dev team we can, and that's part of the motivation for leaving things open. If you're a developer with suggestions contact nio!!  

I'd also like ORA to fit in with the SuperNET eventually if that was possible, as that would help make ORA sustainable, and as the SuperNET is PRO the whole crypto movement, not just a single coin project, that fits in perfectly with what I believe. I am hodling at least 12-15 coins at the moment, and I don't think ORA is trying to become 'the' global mega coin. IMO ORA needs to find a niche, and with 7 billion global population a small crypto niche might end up being something quite large. I don't believe the network effect will create a single dominant coin, so I think anywhere from 20-100 coins could easily co-exist in the future. ORA hasn't found it's killer feature yet, but I'm confident we will, and once we do that'll help us be sustainable. We're definitely open to all suggestions!!

Another key aspect of helping ORA become sustainable is long term funding. We've purposely created a large pool of community funds to pay developers and other people in the community who do things. We're a long way from resolving the processes and structure we use to do that, but I'm confident we can achieve this.

In the end I know the crypto community is dominated by the tech, and ALL of us want to know what that tech will be, what killer features and innovations will we have? ORA isn't like other projects, and I suspect many will lose interest in ORA because we're slow and aren't producing tech innovations yet. That's OK, and this is a big community, and there are many other coins to follow. What ORA does offer though, is a chance to PARTICIPATE, and any developers with ideas are most welcome to contact nio or myself and join us. ORA really is a 'journey' and not a destination, and to many that might be a real turn off, and that's totally cool, but I think to many people that's actually a big positive. We're trying to build a great community that's supporting a great development team, and we've got an open door to all suggestions.

Kora (OP)

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 06:04:21 AM

Well i just want to let you guys know, i was going through the stakeholder's list in nxtblocks.info, ( https://nxtblocks.info/#section/assets_exchange/stakeholders/16194910134118257692 ), to my surprise (a good one), there are still more than 550 stakeholders whom are still holding and has doubled their Ora holdings. From the initial 839, my guess, less than 1/3 has dumped their stake, and the remaining are still holding. I think this is great! Cool

Thanks Darkhorse!! Those are encouraging numbers!

I'd also like to thank you for all the effort you're putting into ORA. I couldn't have hoped for a better person to head up our community treasury, and I know you and fragORA will do a wonderful job as community treasurers!

I'm very grateful for all your help Smiley

DarkhorseofNxt

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 12:50:28 PM

Thanks Darkhorse!! Those are encouraging numbers!

I'd also like to thank you for all the effort you're putting into ORA. I couldn't have hoped for a better person to head up our community treasury, and I know you and fragORA will do a wonderful job as community treasurers!

I'm very grateful for all your help Smiley

I will always do my best. This is a new and good experience for me, especially trusting in me. But in the future, i am hoping Nio will include the multisig feature into the Ora software in its first release so no one has to "trust" anyone.

On a separate note, We have given out 672,500 oras for the meme giveaways. Therefore we have a balance of 327,500 oras to give away. I will observe the first come first serve basis on the give away until the 1,000,000 oras is given away. So waste no time, and get your free oras asap.

DH

coinsolidation

Bitmark Developer

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2014, 03:46:51 PM

Clearly defined usage is important, to be able to say that ORAs are passed from one person to another for some purpose, what is that purpose? It could be as simple as 'for payment' but it also could be something else.

Once you have a usage/purpose then the distribution of ORA becomes an invite system, to give ORA you have to have some, and to get it you need to have done the thing(s) that gives you them, or importantly lets you earn them.

The meme post is an example, you could continue this so that those who were given some for a good meme could give to others for their good meme. Later a meme host may accept the tokens as payment to host the meme's. I'm not advising you do that exactly, but the example shows how coins will distribute and flow as soon as you give it a purpose.

If you could together define a usage, or a set of uses, give ORA it's purpose, then I feel the project would take a big leap forward. It will also allow you to answer such questions as how much ORA should be created? You can determine that one unit should be perceived as having value, but not so valuable that people will not use it for it purpose. Work out a projected audience then say how many coins they should reasonably have each, then issue that many in total - distribution through purpose will handle the rest.

I hope this helps a little.

Kora (OP)

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 12:33:57 PM
Last edit: September 29, 2014, 01:49:50 PM by Kora

Introducing 'Cryptofest': Short Film festival

Sponsored by ORA

http://www.cryptofest.tv/

First Prize - the Palme d'ORA
- 2 bitcoins
- 5 Million ORA assets

People's Choice Award
- 1 bitcoin
- 2.5 Million ORA assets

166,666 ORA assets for each valid entry

Your mission should you choose to accept it
Submit a new short film or multimedia work on the theme of 'Cryptographic currencies'

To help ensure entries are unique & new you must include a "Starfish" as a 'signature item' somewhere in your work.

Conditions
- Your submission must be a new original work

- You can submit as many entries as you want

- Your work must be less than 5 minutes

- You can work in teams, but you can only submit your own work

- You must consent to having your work displayed on ORA affiliated websites

- We might include a small ORA 'watermark' on your video for promotion purposes

- ORA may include your work on a 'festival' DVD (all DVD sales will be in ORA, and go into the ORA charity fund)

- Nothing racist, defamatory, derogatory

- Don't infringe anybodies copyright without permission

- All entries will be vetted for suitability and the organisers decision is final on whether to include a submission in the competition or not

For more information go to http://www.cryptofest.tv/

A BIG thanks to fragORA for making the AMAZING CryptoFest.tv site!!!

CryptoFest BTT thread - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=801933.0

coinsolidation

Bitmark Developer

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2014, 10:01:47 PM

Sponsored by ORA

Awesome, and unique, I love it!

You simply must get this exposed on Vimeo and such channels, bticointalk is not the place to bring in people to do this, video communities are - they often do competitions for free, let alone a 3 BTC prize. Don't be afraid to reach out guys.

Kora (OP)

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 01:07:33 PM
Last edit: September 30, 2014, 02:02:51 PM by Kora

Clearly defined usage is important, to be able to say that ORAs are passed from one person to another for some purpose, what is that purpose? It could be as simple as 'for payment' but it also could be something else.

Once you have a usage/purpose then the distribution of ORA becomes an invite system, to give ORA you have to have some, and to get it you need to have done the thing(s) that gives you them, or importantly lets you earn them.

The meme post is an example, you could continue this so that those who were given some for a good meme could give to others for their good meme. Later a meme host may accept the tokens as payment to host the meme's. I'm not advising you do that exactly, but the example shows how coins will distribute and flow as soon as you give it a purpose.

If you could together define a usage, or a set of uses, give ORA it's purpose, then I feel the project would take a big leap forward. It will also allow you to answer such questions as how much ORA should be created? You can determine that one unit should be perceived as having value, but not so valuable that people will not use it for it purpose. Work out a projected audience then say how many coins they should reasonably have each, then issue that many in total - distribution through purpose will handle the rest.

I hope this helps a little.

Thanks coinsolidation! Yes, getting a purpose/usage for actually spending a crypto coin is the key ingredient for adoption. I think there are currently some very interesting projects to get inspiration from, especially your own Bitmark. I think 'marking' as a way to monetise online interactions will really take off, and quite quickly too, so you've got an excellent 'purpose' for Bitmark. Marking can also apply and add value to practically any web community or website, so Marking can be universal across the internet (and maybe cross over into the real world too via mobile devices), so it's future growth and potential is staggering!!

I also like what Adam B Levine is doing with LTBcoin, and I think coinssource.com is planning to do some interesting things with their own source coin (SRC). Before I started thinking about (K)Ora, I was interested in trying to explore a way to monetise interactions on a Web2.0 website like YouTube.

Up until now most Web 2.0 sites have used advertising as a funding source for the site operators/owners who mostly offer free content, but don't pay the content providers (i.e. their users). The site operators & owners have often become billionaires from advertising, and their users who provide the actual content get very little.

Crypto currencies will be perfect for monetising web 2.0 sites. IMO a site like youtube would be a lot 'fairer' if viewers paid a micro payment per view direct to the content creator (i.e the person who uploaded the video). The site could almost be run autonomously like a DAC. Users would create a crypto wallet when they registered (with maybe a small starting balance), and then they earn more coins when their uploaded videos are watched, and they pay a micro payments to other users when they watch other user's videos. Any advertisers would need to pay for adverts in the site's native crypto. It might even be possible to make a custom browser on top of the wallet to view the site, so the coin network would maximise nodes.

I really think site specific cryptos built into big community websites will grow in popularity. I do think the creators of the first wave of Web 2.0 sites made far too much money for what they did, and the actual content providers (i.e. the site users) got practically nothing, so the incentives to reboot a site like Youtube with a native crypto built in and migrate users over to it is very strong. I know some Youtube uploaders get paid a share of the advertsing, but the thresholds are very high, and I think with crypto it's possible to pay everyone a small micro payment for every (non-gamed) view. The big winners would be the users who create the content!

If ORA could be used as the native crypto currency for a family of Web 2.0 websites I think we could create a real world usage/purpose!

edit: I'm just brainstorming out load here, the above is just my own thoughts, nothing like a road map for ORA

Kora (OP)

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 01:25:10 PM

Sponsored by ORA

Awesome, and unique, I love it!

You simply must get this exposed on Vimeo and such channels, bticointalk is not the place to bring in people to do this, video communities are - they often do competitions for free, let alone a 3 BTC prize. Don't be afraid to reach out guys.

Thanks! I think we'll need, and gladly accept, all the help we can get to promote CryptoFest!

I think CryptoFest is a good promotion for the crypto community generally, and it's also a pretty fair way to distribute some more ORA for 'phase 2' (i.e. the ~2100 left over stakes from the original 3000 from the original webapp  distribution), so we're hoping it'll be successful. It should be a lot of fun too Smiley

Promotion will be vital, so we're very open to all suggestions, and any help people can provide in spreading the word would be most welcome.

If it goes well we'd like to make CryptoFest an annual event!

DarkhorseofNxt

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 12:07:18 PM

The Ora Meme Giveaway is now officially closed.

I would like to thank everyone that took part in the ORA MEME GIVEAWAY. It was an interesting campaign while it lasted. So many interesting memes that came from the creative minds. Thank you. This giveaway is successful and total oras given out was 1,020,000. 1,000,000 from Kora and 20,000 from me. All assets have been given away.

And we will not stop at this. I would like to take this opportunity to announce that ORA will announce the very first nxt asset faucet. I think this is the first an asset faucet has been created by cr7yp and will be operated by him. We waited for this MEME giveaway to complete to announce this. The official link will be announced soon. Use this opportunity to introduce ORA to everyone you know and to let them be part of the big ORA family.

Regards.

P.s @Kora if you need the complete list of who received the oras, i can send it over to you for your record or you can refer to the Ora book keeping file.

qgmurugan007

Activity: 336

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 03:55:57 PM

Great idea.
Would love to see some of these videos.

Will you be publishing the videos, as they are submitted?
Kora (OP)

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 04:33:30 PM

The Ora Meme Giveaway is now officially closed.

I would like to thank everyone that took part in the ORA MEME GIVEAWAY. It was an interesting campaign while it lasted. So many interesting memes that came from the creative minds. Thank you. This giveaway is successful and total oras given out was 1,020,000. 1,000,000 from Kora and 20,000 from me. All assets have been given away.

And we will not stop at this. I would like to take this opportunity to announce that ORA will announce the very first nxt asset faucet. I think this is the first an asset faucet has been created by cr7yp and will be operated by him. We waited for this MEME giveaway to complete to announce this. The official link will be announced soon. Use this opportunity to introduce ORA to everyone you know and to let them be part of the big ORA family.

Regards.

P.s @Kora if you need the complete list of who received the oras, i can send it over to you for your record or you can refer to the Ora book keeping file.

Great work Darkhorse!! I think the logo meme giveaway went very well, and yes, it would be nice to have a record of all the participants!

I'm really excited about the ORA faucet too. Darkhorse has been working with cr7yp on this project for a while, and as far as I know it will be the FIRST NXT asset faucet, so you guys are making some history Smiley

Thanks again guys!!

Pages: « 1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 [118] 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 »
  Print  

Jump to: