Bitcoin Forum
May 15, 2024, 07:37:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 [207] 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 »
  Print  
Author Topic: rpietila Altcoin Observer  (Read 387451 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
JorgeStolfi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 02:54:39 AM

So the point is if you are going to use the King's money, than you pay his taxes.

That "if" may be unwarranted... according to random commentaries in the net, the tax in question was a "poll" (per-capita) tax that was due whether one used Caesar's money or not.

But OK, we can save that reading for consolation in the future, when bitcoin inflation will be over and the miners will charge 4% fee on every transaction -- including when you get your pay, when you move it to cold storage, when you take it from cold storage, and when you spend it.

As for that other stuff about the camel/rope, the consensus is fergerit, right?

I find the Christian Bible enlightening by way of analogy. I hope that altcoins are not the False Gods ...

Do you mean that bitcoin is the True God?  Shocked

Academic interest in bitcoin only. Not owner, not trader, very skeptical of its longterm success.
AnonyMint

Activity: 518
Merit: 521

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 02:56:42 AM

the miners will charge 4% fee

That is one strong reason why we won't be using Bitcoin. Wink

unheresy.com - Prodigiously Elucidating the Profoundly ObtuseTHIS FORUM ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
georgehosterguy

Activity: 196
Merit: 12

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2014, 03:05:01 AM

If someone died, was buried and came back to life after 3 days, what would you call that today? http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/zombie-jesus

U win  Kiss

NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2014, 03:13:19 AM

True.  But I think the "ICO" is very clearly in violation of the law.  This creates a liability when they are sued by investors who lose money as a result.
Which law specifically do you think is violated?
The Securities Act of 1933, section 5(a) for one.  There are others which may also pertain, but I am not a domain expert, and prefer to mention only the one which seems relatively straightforward in its application.

Is Poloniex doing anything at all with securities?
Even Bitshares and XCP aren't traded there as securities. 
Nothing they sell is a share of a company, or anything like that, is there?
Again, I am in now way intimate with their business practices, but I'd imagine that would be a hard one to stretch into applying to their business.
They may run into trouble with the CFTC once the Winklevoss do their thing, because then they would run into issues if anyone traded what might amount to a basket, but most of what I see there is pretty small volumes.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
NewLiberty
Legendary

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2014, 03:19:54 AM

I remember what Jesus is quoted as saying, "Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's".

I'm no expert but wasn't he saying in the first verse to give Ceaser whatever he wanted when it comes to money control and in the second ... didn't that have to do with morals and crap ... not crypto???
Actually the first half was about paying the taxes to the Romans.

I also seem to remember something about a rope passing through the eye of a needle...
I think it was a camel ...
That is now assumed to be a translation error, the original words for 'rope' and 'camel' (in Aramaic?  Greek?) being very similar.

The eye of the needle was a famous gate in Jerusalem.  It was so named because it was very small.  A rich man going to heaven being like a camel going through the eye of the needle was particularly apt to his contemporary audience.  Not only was it very difficult, but you'd have to remove the packs and possessions, then the camel would have to bow down and be on its knees.  The lesson was one of humility, not of impossibility.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
xulescu

Activity: 263
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 03:28:43 AM

Please do not consider my intemperate, alarmist language as grounds to cease business with Poloniex.

"Let’s don’t be alarmist"

AIG financial officer, September 12th, 2008
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 03:36:33 AM

The eye of the needle was a famous gate in Jerusalem.  It was so named because it was very small.  A rich man going to heaven being like a camel going through the eye of the needle was particularly apt to his contemporary audience.  Not only was it very difficult, but you'd have to remove the packs and possessions, then the camel would have to bow down and be on its knees.  The lesson was one of humility, not of impossibility.

That gate wasn't constructed until centuries later.  The reinterpretation is thus erroneous.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 03:37:59 AM

True.  But I think the "ICO" is very clearly in violation of the law.  This creates a liability when they are sued by investors who lose money as a result.
The Securities Act of 1933, section 5(a) for one.  There are others which may also pertain, but I am not a domain expert, and prefer to mention only the one which seems relatively straightforward in its application.

Check out the SuperNET threads.  I can't bring myself to represent it fairly.  But I definitely think the proposal which I originally read was a securities offering.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
pa

Activity: 528
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 03:47:51 AM

Check out the SuperNET threads.  I can't bring myself to represent it fairly.  But I definitely think the proposal which I originally read was a securities offering.

DRAFT doc for SuperNET is at http://209.126.70.170/SuperNET.pdf
feedback appreciated
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 03:48:09 AM

Even Bitshares and XCP aren't traded there as securities. 
Nothing they sell is a share of a company, or anything like that, is there?

You are looking for a security as in a share of stock or some other traditional and specific form. That is not required.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Securities_and_Exchange_Commission_v._W._J._Howey_Co.

Key phrase: "broad array of contracts and other schemes to raise capital in a way to secure some income or profit from the use thereof"
NewLiberty
Legendary

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2014, 03:58:04 AM
Last edit: September 04, 2014, 04:10:19 AM by NewLiberty

That gate wasn't constructed until centuries later.  The reinterpretation is thus erroneous.
The experts disagree, so can we.  Maybe it was babbling nonsense, maybe it was profound.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Securities_and_Exchange_Commission_v._W._J._Howey_Co.

Key phrase: "broad array of contracts and other schemes to raise capital in a way to secure some income or profit from the use thereof"

This case would apply to derivatives contracts, and futures contracts.  Or to a security.  So I don't see it as a problem for Poloniex though it may keep Risto from coming to the USA, sigh...
If the SuperNet is a security of some sort it could bring trouble.
I don't really know what it is, it is difficult to determine from what is written in the Supernet treads I've come across.
It seems to mostly be promises, which could put its issuer in hot water depending on how it is handled.

Edit: Calling it an IPO (or even an ICO) is likely a mistake.  It may confuse the regulators against the interests of those involved.

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 04:11:56 AM

That gate wasn't constructed until centuries later.  The reinterpretation is thus erroneous.
The experts disagree, so can we.  Maybe it was babbling nonsense, maybe it was profound.

This case would apply to derivatives contracts, and futures contracts.

No, that is not right at all. Did you read the article? It involved a leaseback scheme, not derivatives or futures at all.

The "investment contract" interpretation has been used to prosecute all manner of "investment schemes."

The test is:

1. investment of money due to
2. an expectation of profits arising from
3. a common enterprise
4. which depends solely on the efforts of a promoter or third party

I don't really see how supernet could fail to satisfy that test.

SlipperySlope

Activity: 686
Merit: 501

Stephen Reed

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 04:19:54 AM

Here is the nine month chart of Litecoin mining difficulty as presented by Bitcoin Wisdom. Note the more rapid increase from May through July as Scrypt (fixed) ASICs displaced GPU mining rigs for that altcoin. Hash rate increased almost 8x during this period in which litecoin prices fell 6x. Interesting that the hash rate has leveled off in the past month as litecoin prices capitulated in August.

To a greater extent even than bitcoin, it appears that mining difficulty has no positive correlation with litecoin price.

TooDumbForBitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 04:21:27 AM

The "investment contract" interpretation has been used to prosecute all manner of "investment schemes."

The test is:

3. a common enterprise

To my untrained eye, there are a few more "coins" on poloniex (the only exchange I pay attention to) that satisfy the same test. 

▄▄                                  ▄▄
 ███▄                            ▄███
  ██████                      ██████
   ███████                  ███████
    ███████                ███████
     ███████              ███████
      ███████            ███████
       ███████▄▄      ▄▄███████
        ██████████████████████
         ████████████████████
          ██████████████████
           ████████████████
            ██████████████
             ███████████
              █████████
               ███████
                █████
                 ██
                  █
veil|     PRIVACY    
     WITHOUT COMPROMISE.      
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
|   NO ICO. NO PREMINE. 
   X16RT GPU Mining. Fair distribution.  
|      The first Zerocoin-based Cryptocurrency      
   WITH ALWAYS-ON PRIVACY.  
|

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄███████
   ████████
   ███▀
   ███
██████████
██████████
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███

▄▄█▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀█▄▄
   ▐██▄▄██████████████▄▄██▌
   ████████████████████████
  ▐████████████████████████▌
  ███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
 ▐██████     ████     ██████▌
 ███████     ████     ███████
▐████████▄▄▄██████▄▄▄████████▌
▐████████████████████████████▌
 █████▄▄▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀▄▄█████
  ▀▀██████          ██████▀▀
      ▀▀▀            ▀▀▀
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 04:21:48 AM

Scrypt-N ASICs

Litecoin uses Scrypt not Scrypt-N

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 04:24:31 AM

The test is:

3. a common enterprise

To my untrained eye, there are a few more "coins" on poloniex that satisfy the same test.

You may be right.

Putting a security on a blockchain does not turn it into something other than a security. It might ultimately make the law more difficult to enforce, but it won't be particularly hard to enforce it against Poloniex. I don't know that leads to bankruptcy though, it could easily just mean a tolerable fine plus delisting or maybe just delisting, no further listings of that form, and not even a fine. We are of course guessing here.

TooDumbForBitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 04:33:13 AM

I edited my post after Smooth replied. 

Smooth did not delete my parenthetical.    "(Poloniex is the only exchange I pay attention to)."

I'm sure the same or similar "coins" are traded on other exchanges.

▄▄                                  ▄▄
 ███▄                            ▄███
  ██████                      ██████
   ███████                  ███████
    ███████                ███████
     ███████              ███████
      ███████            ███████
       ███████▄▄      ▄▄███████
        ██████████████████████
         ████████████████████
          ██████████████████
           ████████████████
            ██████████████
             ███████████
              █████████
               ███████
                █████
                 ██
                  █
veil|     PRIVACY    
     WITHOUT COMPROMISE.      
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
|   NO ICO. NO PREMINE. 
   X16RT GPU Mining. Fair distribution.  
|      The first Zerocoin-based Cryptocurrency      
   WITH ALWAYS-ON PRIVACY.  
|

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄███████
   ████████
   ███▀
   ███
██████████
██████████
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███

▄▄█▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀█▄▄
   ▐██▄▄██████████████▄▄██▌
   ████████████████████████
  ▐████████████████████████▌
  ███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
 ▐██████     ████     ██████▌
 ███████     ████     ███████
▐████████▄▄▄██████▄▄▄████████▌
▐████████████████████████████▌
 █████▄▄▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀▄▄█████
  ▀▀██████          ██████▀▀
      ▀▀▀            ▀▀▀
NewLiberty
Legendary

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2014, 04:35:28 AM

The experts disagree, so can we.  Maybe it was babbling nonsense, maybe it was profound.

This case would apply to derivatives contracts, and futures contracts.

No, that is not right at all. Did you read the article? It involved a leaseback scheme, not derivatives or futures at all.

Yes, I am familiar with the case and its subsequent applications.
It does not apply to trading and exchange of capital.
It does apply to offerings which entail the use of capital by others, futures, derivatives, contracts for difference, or securities, and it emphasizes substance over form with the test which you articulated well:

The test is:

3. a common enterprise

It might satisfy it, I don't really know what Supernet is.  Very possibly it does, from what I've read of it.  Ethereum has perhaps a similar issue.
Certainly none of the other items on offer at poloniex would satisfy that test.
Open sourced distributed developed software money is neither a common enterprise, nor does it depend solely on the efforts of#4.
Centralized development can become problematic however as it pushes the line closer to #4.

#2 Expectation of profits...  There seems to be quite a bit of that being promulgated.

NewLiberty
Legendary

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2014, 04:38:48 AM

To my untrained eye, there are a few more "coins" on poloniex (the only exchange I pay attention to) that satisfy the same test. 

Are they closed source, or centrally developed?

AnonyMint

Activity: 518
Merit: 521

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 05:22:50 AM

Here is the nine month chart of Litecoin mining difficulty as presented by Bitcoin Wisdom. Note the more rapid increase from May through July as Scrypt (fixed) ASICs displaced GPU mining rigs for that altcoin. Hash rate increased almost 8x during this period in which litecoin prices fell 6x. Interesting that the hash rate has leveled off in the past month as litecoin prices capitulated in August.

To a greater extent even than bitcoin, it appears that mining difficulty has no positive correlation with litecoin price.

You must factor in the mHash/$ and mHash/watt improvement.

Removing the GPU miners removes a lot of adopters and potential txs and value. Replaces them with fewer entities running ASICs (not everyone has more capital to invest, selling your GPU doesn't return 100% of sunk costs). Now it has stabilized at this lower level. Probably like all market driven effects, it is oversold because of inertia of emotions and speculation.

unheresy.com - Prodigiously Elucidating the Profoundly ObtuseTHIS FORUM ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
Pages: « 1 ... 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 [207] 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 »
  Print  

Jump to: