Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:21:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Phoenix - Efficient, fast, modular miner  (Read 760546 times)
Veldy

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 30, 2011, 09:43:53 PM

hello

I just installed phoneix 1.5 on ubuntu 11.04

but when I run it CPU usage spikes and lags the shit out of the computer, its got an athlon X4 in it, and does it with just one 5850 mining;

I think SDK 2.1 is installed

do I need to install 2.4 ? if so is anyone able to tell me how to do this? otherwise what is the problem? here is the command I was using to start it:

./phoenix.py -u http://ABC.XYZ:123@ozco.in:8332/ -k phatk DEVICE=1 VECTORS AGGRESSION=11 BFI_INT FASTLOOP=FALSE WORKSIZE=128

I could really use the help... please please please

thanks guys

t

Lower your aggression value to 5 or 6 and you should be able to use it while mining.

Even aggression of 9 should be fine (it is with my i7 960 with Aero on), but you want FASTLOOP (or FASTLOOP=true).

I see a strong Mhash/s drop using fastloop (Q9650 + Ati 5770, sdk 2.4 + drivers 11.5)  so i always use it off.

You shouldn't at low aggression levels (9 or below).  It will drop while you are using the machine however [which is what it is for, to help reduce lag].  FASTLOOP is neutral at best and detrimental in practice at aggression levels higher than 9 (older versions of Phoenix it was patently obvious).

In fact, I just shut my miner off, set FASTLOOP=false and restarted it and my hash rate dropped about 5MH/s (it varies a little obviously).  I turned it back on and the rate is back where it should be.  Here is what I use with my 6970 930MHz core clock with all else at stock.  This machine is my Windows 7 x64 Pro with Catalyst 11.6 drivers installed.  I use this machine all day for work (VPN with Remote Desktop) and run many services for development purposes as well as iTunes going and Aero on.

-k phatk VECTORS BFI_INT FASTLOOP WORKSIZE=128 AGGRESSION=9

If you have found my post helpful, please donate what you feel it is worth: 18vaZ4K62WiL6W2Qoj9AE1cerfCHRaUW4x

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Lightspeed

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 30, 2011, 09:59:31 PM

hello

but when I run it CPU usage spikes and lags the shit out of the computer, its got an athlon X4 in it, and does it with just one 5850 mining;

do I need to install 2.4 ? if so is anyone able to tell me how to do this? otherwise what is the problem? here is the command I was using to start it:

./phoenix.py -u http://ABC.XYZ:123@ozco.in:8332/ -k phatk DEVICE=1 VECTORS AGGRESSION=11 BFI_INT FASTLOOP=FALSE WORKSIZE=128

thanks guys

t

Lower your aggression value to 5 or 6 and you should be able to use it while mining.

Even aggression of 9 should be fine (it is with my i7 960 with Aero on), but you want FASTLOOP (or FASTLOOP=true).

I see a strong Mhash/s drop using fastloop (Q9650 + Ati 5770, sdk 2.4 + drivers 11.5)  so i always use it off.

You shouldn't at low aggression levels (9 or below).  It will drop while you are using the machine however [which is what it is for, to help reduce lag].  FASTLOOP is neutral at best and detrimental in practice at aggression levels higher than 9 (older versions of Phoenix it was patently obvious).

In fact, I just shut my miner off, set FASTLOOP=false and restarted it and my hash rate dropped about 5MH/s (it varies a little obviously).  I turned it back on and the rate is back where it should be.  Here is what I use with my 6970 930MHz core clock with all else at stock.  This machine is my Windows 7 x64 Pro with Catalyst 11.6 drivers installed.  I use this machine all day for work (VPN with Remote Desktop) and run many services for development purposes as well as iTunes going and Aero on.

thanks everyone for your help my cards are now performing the same as my win 7 box woot

ill test fastloop now; i couldn't see any real difference with it on or off

anyway thanks again

Overclocking = money? Greatest full time hobby ever!
1AR2eheP4nckS3tuzZHG6ARYndeddxmeDg
fxgmblr

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 30, 2011, 10:22:31 PM

hello

thanks guys

t

thanks everyone for your help my cards are now performing the same as my win 7 box woot

anyway thanks again

so do you find your hashing rate differences negligible between linux and win7?
brunoshady

Activity: 262
Merit: 250

Dubs Get

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 12:27:37 AM

just installed phoenix on ubuntu 11, but when I try to run, I get something like "cant find kernel" or something like that... what is wrong?

same thing with poclbm kernel...

and the files seems to be correct...

pyrhon.py
kernels/phatk/...
kernels/poclbm/...

😆
bboques

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 02:06:23 AM

I had a computer shop build me a cheap $600 build around a ATI 5830 and just installed Ubuntu via USB, this computer does not have internet so everything is going on through USB.

If someone can be there as a sounding board for my issues I'd really appreciate it and I''ll give everything I have generated in Bitcoinplus.com over the last week. BTC0.01.

I put the file bitcoin-0.3.23-linux.tar.gz onto the USB, and see it in ubuntu when I plug it in. What are the next steps to take? Double clicking and Extracting are not getting it running.  Is it because I'm using the Natty version of Ubuntu and they aren't compatible? I may miss your response so if you try to help please PM me with a link to your post and if it gets me there I'll send it over.
Veldy

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 02:21:58 AM

hello

thanks guys

anyway thanks again

I believe that I saw you were using AGGRESSION=11, correct?  Phoenix 1.50 (maybe a little bit earlier even) modified things enough that FASTLOOP essentially has no impact beyond a certain aggression; I believe > 9.  I do know that FASTLOOP is now on by default, so passing FASTLOOP or FASTLOOP=yes is redundant (I still have FASTLOOP in my options for my workstation).  So, that would explain why you didn't notice a difference.  If you are using the machine as dual use, I would recommend a maximum of AGGRESSION=9 and leave FASTLOOP on.  You can always restart the miner to the more aggressive settings when you aren't using it.  I use this for my 5850s and probably should have this as an option for my workstation while running overnight.

-k phatk VECTORS BFI_INT WORKSIZE=128 FASTLOOP=false AGGRESSION=12

Sorry for quoting all that, but I think it is needed in context (the initial question with options for instance) and since the model here is "forum in a single thread", it isn't easy to view the topic in a threaded manner.

If you have found my post helpful, please donate what you feel it is worth: 18vaZ4K62WiL6W2Qoj9AE1cerfCHRaUW4x
Veldy

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 02:37:17 AM

just installed phoenix on ubuntu 11, but when I try to run, I get something like "cant find kernel" or something like that... what is wrong?

pyrhon.py
kernels/phatk/...
kernels/poclbm/...

Change to the directory where phoenix.py is located and then execute.   It uses the current working directory as reference to find the kernels and should probably look in the directory where phoenix.py resides.  Since most people use a script to launch their console miners anyway, it is not really an issue to just add the directory change into it.  On Linux, many people launch it and use screen to detach it from the console allowing them to remotely access it at any time [via a shell, such as SSH or telnet into the machine]. 

FWIW, I have found Linux performed far worse than with Windows.  I used the latest Ubuntu at the time [3 weeks ago perhaps].  Finally put my old Vista Ultimate x64 on there [OEM, registered on a computer I built but died a terrible death ... some short between the board, case and power supply and lost a second power supply to it when I replaced it not thinking that I should have checked for a short first], and it activated fine.  I could have called Microsoft and I am sure they would have allowed me to activate it considering the original computer was recycled, but I didn't have too.  I think the difference for me was a solid 20%.  Modifying clock, fan, and other settings is mildly annoying as well since you have to restart X each time [well, at least for the clock settings].  I have read about a lot of posts that show people getting great hash rates on their Linux boxes though, roughly equal to Windows x64 (not sure about x86), so either there was more I could have done, or my hardware config was not optimal under Linux [auto-configure with Ubuntu perhaps did me an injustice that Windows did apparently correctly].

Linux -vs- Windows hash rate performance?  My experience says Windows, but by posts that I have read, I would say about equal and if what a few said are true, maybe a little better on Linux.  Tough to beat the cost of Linux through [I have been an avid Linux and FreeBSD user since Dec 1996 with the last 6 months being the first time I do not run a server based on one of these two in the home ... although my phone and my Tivo run Linux Smiley].

slippyrocks

Activity: 69

respecttheslider

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 01:47:40 PM
Last edit: July 02, 2011, 07:45:16 AM by slippyrocks

Phoenix goes a lot faster when you use this fix.

http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=23067.0

HD 6950 @ 890 || 360MH/s

Already been added to the latest poclbm.

And thanks OP works cherry in Win7 is PnP.
brunoshady

Activity: 262

Dubs Get

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 01:55:52 PM

pyrhon.py
kernels/phatk/...
kernels/poclbm/...

Change to the directory where phoenix.py is located and then execute.   It uses the current working directory as reference to find the kernels and should probably look in the directory where phoenix.py resides.  Since most people use a script to launch their console miners anyway, it is not really an issue to just add the directory change into it.  On Linux, many people launch it and use screen to detach it from the console allowing them to remotely access it at any time [via a shell, such as SSH or telnet into the machine]. 

no success here...

the error is "Could not locate the specified kernel!"

I've copied and pasted the kernels files in the same root folder, the kernels folders in the root folder, but no success...

😆
CNMOH

Activity: 266

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 04:03:16 PM

Make sure you apply this fix if you haven't already:

6% performance increase for me Cheesy
jedi95 (OP)

Activity: 219
Merit: 120

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 09:36:17 PM

This has been on the SVN since Monday, and since kernels are not part of the compiled binary I'm not planning another release until I finish the RPC re-write.

Phoenix Miner developer

Donations appreciated at:
1PHoenix9j9J3M6v3VQYWeXrHPPjf7y3rU
Veldy

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 04:27:01 AM

Mathematically, it can only be about 3% [although ever so slight variation due to quantum effects, meaning you submit single shares, not partial shares, so there is variation in any given analysis window and also a change in the amount of work dumped or lost as stale when a block changes (the faster the miner, the less stale in a perfect world I think)].

The reason that it has to be about 3% is it was a rearrangement such that fewer computations on the GPU needed to be performed for a given unit of work ... so the performance increase is actually fixed.

Veldy

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 04:30:32 AM

This has been on the SVN since Monday, and since kernels are not part of the compiled binary I'm not planning another release until I finish the RPC re-write.

Have you considered branching your releases?  I, for one am always hesitant to run live with HEAD (or TIP, or whatever people refer to it as) code.

phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 08:16:31 AM
Last edit: July 03, 2011, 10:20:45 AM by phelix

finally the idle bug seems to be gone for good. not sure wha it was in the end.  =)

v1.50

changes:
windows update (xp);
installation of some modules and dlls to get phoenix running from source (though now it is not)
- pyopencl
- boost
- twisted
- zope
- to system 32
  - general dlls (from vc 9)
    - msvcp90.dll
    - msvcr90.dll
  - a bunch of 24 boost dlls

?

---------edit----------------------------
once again that was a false alarm. will not says anything about this any more. got one more idle stall. the last always happened on deepbit.

Jazkal

Activity: 319

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 06:37:20 PM

WinXp x64
HD 6970

Was getting 420 Mh/s, but with the new version, I can't get over 405 Mh/s.

command line used:
WORKSIZE=128 BFI_INT AGGRESSION=11 VECTORS

What do I need to change to get back the missing speed?
dishwara
Legendary

Activity: 1855
Merit: 1016

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 09:13:17 PM

WinXp x64
HD 6970

command line used:

+1 same here in Ubuntu 11.04.
It very strange that while running smartcoin with phoenix as miner gives 427+ Mhash/s , but when run standalone phoenix gives only 404 Mhash/s
Veldy

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 09:28:19 PM

WinXp x64
HD 6970

command line used:

Are you sure that you were actually getting that speed?  Meaning, were you producing more stales?  Phoenix was rumored to be showing artificially high hash rates, although I cannot confirm this personally.

EDIT:  Add FASTLOOP=false

Fastloop is on by default and while it is not supposed to affect higher aggression levels like it used to, it is better safe than sorry.

Jazkal

Activity: 319

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 09:41:32 PM

Add FASTLOOP=false

Fastloop is on by default and while it is not supposed to affect higher aggression levels like it used to, it is better safe than sorry.
That fixed it for me. Thanks.
dishwara
Legendary

Activity: 1855
Merit: 1016

View Profile
July 03, 2011, 04:40:21 AM

WinXp x64
HD 6970

command line used:

Are you sure that you were actually getting that speed?  Meaning, were you producing more stales?  Phoenix was rumored to be showing artificially high hash rates, although I cannot confirm this personally.

EDIT:  Add FASTLOOP=false

No change
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 11:11:53 PM

A possible bug/error (at least it looks to me on being at least partially on your end):

I played a bit with writing my own pool backend and phoenix currently throws the following error when connecting to my local "pool" (on Windows):

Code:
[0 Khash/sec] [0 Accepted] [0 Rejected]Unhandled Error
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "twisted\internet\tcp.pyc", line 529, in connectionLost

File "minerutil\_newclient3420.pyc", line 826, in dispatcher

File "minerutil\_newclient3420.pyc", line 1438, in _connectionLost_WAITING

File "minerutil\_newclient3420.pyc", line 1367, in _disconnectParser

--- <exception caught here> ---
  File "minerutil\_newclient3420.pyc", line 494, in connectionLost

File "twisted\web\http.pyc", line 1366, in noMoreData

File "minerutil\_newclient3420.pyc", line 409, in _finished

File "minerutil\_newclient3420.pyc", line 1346, in _finishResponse

[b]exceptions.UnboundLocalError: local variable 'reason' referenced before assignme
nt[/b]
Looks like this variable is really not there, at least when phoenix gets one of the weird getworks from my <100 lines "pool server".
If needed for debugging I can also share that code so you can test it better.

Edit:
poclbm seems to get shares fine, so either they are less picky in accepting shares or there's an error on your side (I guess the former...)

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 »
  Print  

Jump to: