Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 04:47:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 [101] 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 ... 1993 »
  Print  
Author Topic: NEM (XEM) Official Thread - 100% New Code - Easy To Use APIs  (Read 2984207 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
DrearyUrbanite

Activity: 756
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 11:00:34 PM

I have been running the alpha client on-and-off for the last week. It is working good, I sent and received transactions and added almost 20 blocks to the blockchain.
Only harvesting at 0.05%, I guess the poi calculated I am not a vip. Waiting to test out the one-click installer.

send me your men address and il send you a bomb more test coins. You can try brake poi then Smiley (it doesn't work lol)

You just typed "men" again!
It's in my sig, thanks.
damn lol it's my phone I swear :-)

Like you are the only person in the world with spellcheck  Smiley

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
       ▄▄██████████████▄
     █████████████████████▄
   █████████████████████████
  ██████████▀▀       ▀▀██████▄
 █████████               █████
▐███████▌                 ▀███▌
████████                   ████
▐██████▌                   ▐██▌
 ███████                   ███
  ███████                 ███
   ▀██████▄             ▄██▀
     ▀███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
        ▀▀███████████▀▀

▄▄▄             ▄▄▄           ▄▄▄   ▄▄▄▄▄         ▄▄▄         ▄▄▄▄▄▄       ▄▄▄                    ▄▄▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄          ▄▄▄   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   
 ███             ███           ███   ███████▄      ███        ████████      ███                   ████████       ██████▄       ███   ███████████████▄
 ███             ███           ███   ███ ▀████     ███       ███▀  ▀███     ███                  ███▀  ▀███      ███ ▀███▄     ███   ███         ▀███
 ███             ███           ███   ███   ▀███▄   ███      ███▀    ▀███    ███                 ███▀    ▀███     ███   ████    ███   ███          ███
 ███             ███           ███   ███     ▀███▄ ███     ████▄▄▄▄▄▄████   ███                ████▄▄▄▄▄▄████    ███    ▀███▄  ███   ███          ███
 ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███   ███       ███████    ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███  ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███   ███      ▀███▄███   ███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████
  ▀████████████▌  ▀█████████████▀    ███        ▀▀████   ███▀          ▀███  ▀█████████████  ███▀          ▀███  ███        ▀▀████   █████████████▀▀
                     ▄▄███████
                 ▄████████████
              ▄██████▀▀▀██████
       ▄▄   ▄███████     ████
   ▄▄███▀  ██████████▄▄▄████▀
 ▄████▀▀  █████████████████
         ████████████████▀
        ▀██████████████▀
          ▀█████████▀
     ▄█▀    ▀██▀▀   ▄▄
    ██  ▄█▀      ▄███▌
   █████▀        ███▀
   ▀▀▀          ███▀
                ▀     

▄█████████  ███       ██▄      ▄██         █████       ████▌   ▄██████████   
 ██▌          ███        ▀██▄  ▄██▀          ██▌███     ██▀██▌  ▐██           
 ███████████  ███          ▀████▀            ██▌ ███   ██▀ ██▌  ▐███████████   
 ██▌          ███▄          ▐██▌             ██▌  ███ ██▀  ██▌  ▐██           
 ██▌           ▀█████████   ▐██▌             ██▌   ▀███▀   ██▌   ▀██████████

█████████████▌  ▄███████████▄         █████████████▌  ██▌      ▐██    ▄██████████         █████       █████    ▄██████████▄     ▄██████████▄   ▐████▄     ▐██ 
      ▐██       ▐██▀       ▀██▌             ▐██        ██▌      ▐██   ▐██                  ██▌███     ███▐██   ▐██▀      ▀██▌   ▐██▀      ▀██▌  ▐██▀███    ▐██ 
      ▐██       ▐██         ██▌             ▐██        ████████████   ▐███████████         ██▌ ███   ███ ▐██   ▐██        ██▌   ▐██        ██▌  ▐██  ▀██▄  ▐██ 
      ▐██       ▐██▄       ▄██▌             ▐██        ██▌      ▐██   ▐█▌                  ██▌  ███ ███  ▐██   ▐██▄      ▄██▌   ▐██▄      ▄██▌  ▐██    ▀██▄▐██ 
      ▐██        ▀███████████▀              ▐██        ██▌      ▐██    ▀██████████         ██▌   ▀███▀   ▐██    ▀██████████▀     ▀██████████▀   ▐██      ▀████ 
  (
BUY LLN
)Twitter
Facebook
Telegram
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
crackerhead

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

My Head is a Ritz

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2014, 01:36:25 AM

Very interesting, I'll keep my eye on that. Anonymous transactions still seem a bit of a fad, but I wouldn't mind getting proven wrong, I do think it could be a cool/useful feature eventually.

NEM.io         blog.NEM.io        r/ourNEM
ARGpentem

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 02:27:00 AM

Very interesting, I'll keep my eye on that. Anonymous transactions still seem a bit of a fad, but I wouldn't mind getting proven wrong, I do think it could be a cool/useful feature eventually.

its not so much anon tx's in nxt. its a way of annoning your account. so say i own 10k nxt in nxt account "a" which is publically known to be mine, and i want to swap my 10k into an account that cant be linked to me. with my 10k in account a, i buy an asset which is redeemable for pnxt at a 1:1 ratio(clone of cryptonote used only for this purpose and not openly traded) which gets sent to a pnxt address, which you can then send to a new pnxt address < thats the transaction that cant be tracked. you then buy the asset back that you redeemed and then sell it for nxt, and now that 10k i had in account a is in account b and account b cant be linked to me. annon tx's is a side effect by being able to send someone pnxt which they can then use to buy asset and then sell asset for nxt. its just a work around until annon tx's are integrated into nxt a few months down the line.

whats cool, is that i think, this will be possible to do with btc, or any other coin that multigateway supports. so i can do the same with btc. send it to nxt client using multigateway, do the above process, and hey presto my bitcoins cant be tracked to my new address. i dont know if thats right though so i could be wrong. dont see why it couldnt be done though.

You could just send your NXT to Bter and withdraw to a different account.

A freedom fighter. Stop all your bull shit !
ARGpentem

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 02:51:31 AM

its not so much anon tx's in nxt. its a way of annoning your account. so say i own 10k nxt in nxt account "a" which is publically known to be mine, and i want to swap my 10k into an account that cant be linked to me. with my 10k in account a, i buy an asset which is redeemable for pnxt at a 1:1 ratio(clone of cryptonote used only for this purpose and not openly traded) which gets sent to a pnxt address, which you can then send to a new pnxt address < thats the transaction that cant be tracked. you then buy the asset back that you redeemed and then sell it for nxt, and now that 10k i had in account a is in account b and account b cant be linked to me. annon tx's is a side effect by being able to send someone pnxt which they can then use to buy asset and then sell asset for nxt. its just a work around until annon tx's are integrated into nxt a few months down the line.

whats cool, is that i think, this will be possible to do with btc, or any other coin that multigateway supports. so i can do the same with btc. send it to nxt client using multigateway, do the above process, and hey presto my bitcoins cant be tracked to my new address. i dont know if thats right though so i could be wrong. dont see why it couldnt be done though.

You could just send your NXT to Bter and withdraw to a different account.
centralized exchange and fee's.

It works while jl777's method is likely not. What is protecting the security of pNXT chain?  I don't see any clear explanation there. The multi gateway is basically a jl777 friend's centralized server so it is no better than BTER. More and less it is about who do you want to trust but it is not trustless.

A freedom fighter. Stop all your bull shit !
makoto1337
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

I am not Dorian Nakamoto.

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2014, 04:40:28 AM

The recasting feature of NTX coin seems very interesting. NTX is a Chinese branch of NXT.

RECASTING Feature: Prevents the inflation of the block chains and makes the anonymity of the coin untraceable.  Recycle some lost forever coins after a few                     rounds of recasting.

Will NEM include such features? If not, is it possible to add RECASTING feature to NEM?

I think it is a good feature which will definitely benefit NEM. Devs should consider to add this feature to NEM.

from irc:

00:13 <@gimre> TruthTaco_: can't tell, english paper sound like auto-translation and doesn't make much sense
00:19 <@gimre> TruthTaco_: I'm wondering how they want to ensure anonymity, there's almost nothing about that
00:27 < Hap_> Anonymity is a fad.  Darkcoin isn't going up from use but rather people speculating on the preceived 'value' of
              anonymity.  I don't think the logic is particularly sound.  Almost nobody uses TOR or other anonymity measures.
              It's a very niche thing.
00:28 < Hap_> Great for pedophiles and drug dealers but that isn't the current crypto user or future user.
00:29 < Hap_> Nor is it proprietary.  If anonymity proves to be that important then everyone, even Doge, will rip it.
00:29 < Hap_> It's an one trick pony when coins specialize in anonymity.

Yes, I agree. Anonymity is for criminals and pedophiles of all kinds!

Right. It's not like people have to stay anonymous because they live in a country where free speech would otherwise be impossible.
Nothing like that on this wonderfull earth Roll Eyes

Free speech is a fad Cheesy

▄▄██████████████████▄▄╓
                           ▄████████████████████████████████▄
                       ▄████████████████████████████████████████▄
                    ▌███████████████████████████████████████████████╒
                 ▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄
               ▓█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
             ▓█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           ▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄
          ████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
         ███████████                                                ███████████▄
       ╒████████████                                                ▀███████████▄
       █████████████                                                ▀████████████▄
      ███████████████████████████████████      ███████████████████████████████████
     ████████████████████████████████████      ████████████████████████████████████
     ████████████████████████████████████      ████████████████████████████████████▄
    ▄███████████████╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╙       ╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧████████████████
    ████████████████                                                ▀███████████████
    ████████████████                                                ▀███████████████
    ████████████████████████████████████╝       ████████████████████████████████████
    ███████████████████████████████████          ███████████████████████████████████
    █████████████████████████████████▀            ▀█████████████████████████████████
    ▐███████████████████████████████       ▄▄       ███████████████████████████████▌
     █████████████████████████████▀       ████       ▀█████████████████████████████
     ╘███████████████████████████       ▄██████▄       ███████████████████████████▌
      ▀████████████████████████▀       ██████████       ▀█████████████████████████
       ▀██████████████████████╛      ╔████████████▄       ███████████████████████
        █████████████████████       ████████████████       ▀████████████████████
         ▀█████████████████╚      ╓██████████████████▄       █████████████████▀
           ██████████████▀       ▓█████████████████████       ▀██████████████╝
            ▀███████████╩       ████████████████████████▄       ███████████▀
              ▀████████       ▓███████████████████████████       ▀████████
                ▀████▐       ██████████████████████████████▄       ████▀
                  ╙▀       ▄█████████████████████████████████       ▀▐
                          ████████████████████████████████████▄
                         ▀████████████████████████████████████▀
                              ▀▀████████████████████████▀▀╛

Sora
| SoraTopia | SoraEconomy                                                    
/The Decentralized Autonomous Economy /
|
XOR
makoto1337
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2014, 05:03:47 AM

Can people still buy NEM at the AE of NXT or not?

I'm confused after the scam.

NEM is overvalued right now due to all the hype. Let the prices drop a little more. There is NO REASON for this coin to be around 400 satoshi before it is even public. Consider even waiting for the release, there could be a big dump/dip just after the release of the stakes and then we could get on for some more profit.

thanks for your deep technical analysis  Roll Eyes

You are quite welcome!  Grin See you on the moon.

▄▄██████████████████▄▄╓
    ▄███████████████╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╙       ╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧████████████████
    ████████████████████████████████████╝       ████████████████████████████████████
    ███████████████████████████████████          ███████████████████████████████████
    █████████████████████████████████▀            ▀█████████████████████████████████
    ▐███████████████████████████████       ▄▄       ███████████████████████████████▌

Sora
|
XOR
makoto1337
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2014, 05:09:44 AM
Last edit: July 08, 2014, 07:17:27 AM by makoto1337

I am not sure what is happening. Why do you think it is your job to tell the market what the price should be? Please provide timely and transparent information about the development instead.

Well, cause this is a forum and everyone is speculating. I can also speculate.
(edit: also I believe that everything that pushes the price down before actual release is a GOOD THING as it lets more people to get on board,
also do the math, 0.1 stake == ca 2.2k NXT = ca.105$, now keep in mind conversion to national currency. For some people it's really quite high entry price)

Regarding development. One-click install is on it's way, but we want to introduce some changes, that's why it's getting delayed.
We're also planning block chain restart, which I guess will be lot of fun, as much more people will be eligible to harvest.

One click install that's good news indeed  Smiley Great Stuff

As for speculating the price for BTC looks bullish SPAIN on the verge of a (0.03%?)bank tax aka bail in

It was a little over a year ago, just as the Cyprus deposit confiscation aka "bail in" was taking place, when we asked, rhetorically, if "Spain is preparing for its own deposit levy" when an announcement by Spain's Finance Minister, Montoro, hinted at the imminent arrival of just that.

Of course, back in March 2013 imposing such a tax would immediately bring up images of parallel bank runs in Cyprus and visions of confiscated deposits, culminating in an immediate collapse of the otherwise already insolvent Spanish banking system. In other words, the timing picked by Montoro to reveal what was coming couldn't have been worse.

Now, however, things are different.

Not only is Europe supposedly recovering, not only is the Cyprus bail in a distant memory (until it comes back front and center with a bang), but it was only a few weeks ago when the ECB - desperate to crush the same EURUSD which just two years ago seemed would implode under the weight of Europe's artificial political and monetary union - revealed NIRP, aka ZIRP on steroids: a negative deposit rate.

Or, as Spain may have called it, a tax on deposits. Because some 16 months after it was first hinted, its time has finally come, and as Bloomberg reported a few hours ago:

SPAIN TO CREATE A TAX ON BANK DEPOSITS: MONTORO
The details are along the lines of what is already known:

Advances to be boosted by almost EU3.9b, Budget Minister Cristobal Montoro tells reporters in Madrid.
Tax on bank deposits to be created: Montoro
Tax rate on deposits to be determined: Montoro
Montoro and regions’ budget chiefs to meet in July

Oh Shameless plug for Dave > x22report

The old system is crumbling away. Let's hope they don't take the whole world down with them before we can create a NEW system to replace it.

▄▄██████████████████▄▄╓

Sora
|
XOR
makoto1337
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2014, 05:10:41 AM

Maybe we should add a reputation system like this on top of NEM: http://techcrunch.com/2014/07/03/traity/?utm_campaign=fb&ncid=fb

This is something that I am actively thinking about in the context of an AE Wink

▄▄██████████████████▄▄╓

Sora
|
XOR
makoto1337
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2014, 05:11:19 AM

I've already said it once, but as of now, I think more proper price would be around 15k.

15K $ was the price I had on my mind, too.
This sounds much, but it's reached with "just" 60mio. marketcap, which I think is absulutely possible; especially with this fantastic community (crowd) behind.
There's no way I will sell my stake for less.

$15k USD sounds about right Grin

▄▄██████████████████▄▄╓

Sora
|
XOR
makoto1337
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2014, 05:13:37 AM

I don't see a need to rush an anon function. As others have said it's especially hyped right now. Also, it's not even being done right. There are like five different approaches and many are proving to cause a lot of friction and bloat and not actually even be really anonymous.

Right now everything is an experiment in anon. NEM is already doing a very neat experiment in PoI and distribution.

In the future lots of PoI coins will have added anon. At that time NEM can add the feature "IF" the community wants it and it is being perceived as useful.

I use to think like others that anon is for serious criminals and in many ways it is. But I think in the future it's going to be for everyone.

Why? Imagine a day when insurance companies are aligned with credit card companies, they see not only which fast food testuarants you eat at but if you double size or not, and charge you extra if you do.

Imagine a day when a giant search engine/shopping portal tracks your every purchase building algorithms knowing what time of day you buy things and if your a more careful shopper in the morning or night, it also looks to see which genres of products you spend more time researching and comparing prices about, and then based on its algorithm will raise or lower prices against you manipulating you to get more money for them.

Wait!!!! Things like this are already happening and worse just around the corner. In a digital age people are mapping us to manipulate us. Some anon money will help us take the power back.

Again, I'm in no rush. Nobody is even doing anon correctly yet. Let's wait and see what happens with the whole scene and then later on reevaluate. It'll be much easier and give a better product in the long run.

I tend to agree with jabo. It seems to me anonymity is currently part of the altcoin narrative cicle - overhyped for a lot of pump and dumps. Though between hype and "anonymity is for criminals and pedophiles" is a very long road. In the long run there will surely be some need for anonymity. You can just watch this to understand why: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfnKmPQdapw#t=12

This was a surprising issue ... or I have just skipped too many pages from these threads ... or just been short-sighted  Smiley
I was wondering what is meant with "anon money" - isn't this cryptocurrency already an anonymous system? ?
After reading jabo's post a light bulb appeared, I hope Smiley

So, with "anon money" or "non-anon money" is meant the following?
- when someone uses NEMcoins several times a week in a shop, the storekeeper learns that
'this Account N********* means/equals this Person'   - - - - > the NEMcoin is not an anon money
 - - - - > for the anon money is needed a new feature.

i agree about annon being hype etc, but there is space for "privacy". ie. block account ballance and what shares the account owns and incoming transactions but leaving out going transactions transparent. or block only balance or just incoming transactions etc etc. after all people dont care if other people know they bought something, they just dont want people knowing how much they get paid or how much is in their bank account, and until this is available, i dont think crypto will reach true mass adoption. we need different levels of privacy for personal, business, charity etc etc. certain things need to be transparent for different use cases. not just hidden transactions.

is this a possibility?

Nothing will stop someone from making a tumbling service that will automagically tumble your NEM around a bunch of nodes. Depending on the jurisdiction, that could be illegal and thus should probably not be in the main system.

▄▄██████████████████▄▄╓

Sora
|
XOR
crackerhead

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

My Head is a Ritz

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2014, 05:43:28 AM

Nothing will stop someone from making a tumbling service that will automagically tumble your NEM around a bunch of nodes. Depending on the jurisdiction, that could be illegal and thus should probably not be in the main system.

Exactly, having anonymous feature won't help us get mass adoption IMO, I think anonymous accounts could do the opposite.
Something done as an addon to NCC for example, would probably be better.

NEM.io         blog.NEM.io        r/ourNEM
KimNg

Activity: 169
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 06:07:15 AM

===========================================
Reasons for Selecting the Cube as the Symbol of NEM.

It is not difficult to see that the cube logo also looks like a network graph.
The cube symbolizes the decentralized network of the NEM cloud, the 8 corners representing the nodes and the 12 edges representing the links.

The cube is a perfect symbol for NEM. All six attributes of NEM the devs wish to incorporate can be done using the cube.
The 6 faces of the cube represents the 3 exoteric ideals and the 3 esoteric ideas of NEM.
The 3 key ideals are financial freedom, decentralization, and equality of opportunity. Plus the 3 secret components in the PoI algorithm.

The cube represents the decentralized and distributed characteristics of a mesh network (peer-to-peer).

All 3 letters of NEM are incorporated into the symbol and are easily identified.

Bitcoin's blockchain has a 2-dimensional quality and can be visualized a sequence of squares. NEM's blockchain, because of it's advanced features
(asset exchange, messaging, games, apps built upon the blockchain, etc) has a 3-dimensional quality can be visualized a sequence of actual blocks.
When we harvest with the client we are processing blocks (cubes).

The cube also has more marketing possibilities than a two-dimensional circle. It has additional surfaces for text and graphics. A hanging mobile can
be constructed for kinetic art advertising. A model can be produced from a 3d printer. The cube is relatively free of the historical and religious
references that plague the tomoe.

Through the centuries, our economy has gone through different phases. We have shifted from an agricultural economy to an industrial one and now
to an information economy. NEM will be part of this economic evolution and if we view NEM as the successor to Bitcoin, our logo should also reflect
this shift away from the industrialized banking system and away from the circular form of world coinage.

These paradigm shifts can be represented as dimensions in space. A point extended becomes a line, the line extended becomes a plane and the
plane extended becomes a solid. Each shift is followed by exponential growth.
0-dimensional, 2^0=1 vertices= point, agrarian, trade based economy
1-dimensional, 2^1=2 vertices= line, banking, fiat based economy
2-dimensional, 2^2=4 vertices= square, digital currency-inefficient PoW, Bitcoin 1.0, logo is a flat circle
3-dimensional, 2^3=8 vertices= cube, digital currency-efficient PoI, NEM 2.0, logo is a solid 3d cube
4-dimensional, 2^4=16 vertices= tesseract, digital currency-a future 3.0 crypto

We should not use the circle just because it has universally been the ideal shape. It all depends on the application.

As an example, even though the circle is the most efficient shape for a room (it encloses the maximum possible area for a given perimeter of wall) it
is not a good choice for the shape of rooms within a house. Wasted gaps of space would be left between the circular rooms.

Another example can be found in nature, the circle would not be the best shape for a bee cell. Space between the circles would be wasted, whereas
the hexagonal structure of a honeycomb shares all its adjacent sides without any gaps. Bees use hexagonal honeycombs for storage because
hexagons more efficient to construct, the structure ensures that bees fill the volume efficiently yet limit the total wall area of the cells. A given
hexagon has the most area inside for the length of its sides.

Hexagons are the most efficient way to divide up a flat plane. The curve of a geodesic dome structure is easier to produce from hexagons. Solar
panel arrays benefit from the area-to-perimeter ratio of a hexagon. The antenna tower sites for cellular phones are also configured in a hexagonal
grid.

The geometric efficiency of the honeycomb makes optimal use of space, similarly, NEM's PoI is more efficient than Bitcoin's PoW.

The cube (hexahedron) is related to the hexagon. NEM's cube logo is actually an orthographic projection of a cube. When rendered in two
dimensions it is a flat hexagon.

The cube is one of the 5 platonic solids. All five platonic solids have either three-sided faces or three-way vertices.
tetrahedron,4,6,4 (vertices,edges,faces)
octahedron,6,12,8
cube,8,12,6
icosahedron,12,30,20
dodecahedron,20,30,12

When orthographically projected, only the hexagon conforms to the symmetries of all five platonic solids.

A hexagon has 6 edges, relating to the 3 key ideals and the 3 secret components in the PoI algorithm.
A hexagon has 6 vertices, again relating to the 3 key ideals and the 3 secret components in the PoI algorithm.
A hexagon can also be created from two equilateral triangles, one triangle representing NEM's 3 key ideals and the other the 3 components of PoI.
Also one triangle could represent the NEM cloud and the other the physical hardware of the network.

The number six also ties in with the idea of six degrees of separation or the small world theory, that there is no more than six degrees of separation
between any two people in the world. Several studies using internet messages have found that the average network path length was 6. If it is not a
security risk, displaying the average network path length would be a interesting feature. It would be a status of the inner workings of PoI. Over time
we could see if NEM's x degrees of separation agrees with the small world theory.

All life on earth is carbon based. The carbon atom has 6 protons in its nucleus and forms hexagonal molecules. The 3-dimensional hexagonal
structure is the reason that diamond is so strong. Graphene and carbon nanotubes are two of the new super materials. In the future these carbon
molecules may replace silicon based semiconductors. Graphene is one of the strongest and thinnest materials, it is a single layer of carbon atoms
arranged in a hexagonal lattice. The line segments in a hexagonal lattice converge at 120 degree angles, this distributes the load evenly and
prevents shearing. Carbon nanotubes are the strongest and stiffest materials yet discovered, it is a single layer of carbon atoms arranged in a
cylindrical form.

Graphene is strong and secure just like the strengh of NEM's community and NEM's algorithm.

The water molecules in an ice crystal form a hexagonal lattice, this is what gives the six-fold symmetry to a snow crystals.

Snowflakes are unique, just like NEM.

One of the unsolved problems in number theory is that it is not known whether an infinitely many perfect numbers exist.
6 is the first perfect number. The sum of it's proper divisors 1+2+3 equals 6 and half the sum of all its divisors (1+2+3+6)/2 equals 6.
3 factorial is 6. (3!= 1*2*3 = 6).
Six is the only number that is both the sum and the product of three consecutive positive numbers.

A few religious and superstitious viewpoints. Please ignore.
In Buddhism the Wheel of Life, the Samsara has 6 planes of existence, also there are the six Perfections. Confucianism has 6 canons of ethical
teachings. In Islam there are 6 articles of belief. In Judaism there 6 points on a Star of David, also the diagram of the Kabbalistic Tree of Life is
hexagonal. According to creation story of Judaism and Christianity, the world was created in 6 days. The Christian scholar Augustine of Hippo
suggested that God could have created the world in an instant but chose to to do it in six days because 6 is a perfect number. There are 6 cardinal
directions: north, south, east, west, up and down. The shell of turtles are hexagonal and in traditional Japanese beliefs, the turtle symbolizes good
luck. In Chinese culture the number 6 represents wealth and is considered good for business. The number 8 (a cube has 8 corners) is also an
auspicious number and is considered very lucky.

=================================
Reasons for Rejecting the Tomoe Symbol.
=================================

From reading the posts, the tomoe is very polarizing, people either love it or hate it. For this reason alone, using it as our brand should be
thoroughly questioned and not be taken lightly.

It is apparent the devs like the tomoe. I highly respect the work of all of our developers (the NEM Community Client looks great!) and appreciate their
efforts at wanting to design a bold and meaningful symbol for NEM. This is only my opinion, 100% logo and nothing personal.

The NEMlogo_v7_explanation.pdf seemed contrived.

Displaying the two other logos with arrows pointing to the official logo looked like a weak attempt at demonstrating the logo progression. Those
were two different logos, it did not make sense.

I did not like some sentences in the logo explanation, the "Man, Earth and Sky" and the "Feng Shui" parts just sounded too new age and hippy-
dippy. NEM will be taken more seriously if the explanation is professional and uses modern technical terms, not some nebulous concepts from
Eastern or Western thought.

The text "Inner ring is split into three parts, representing an E; sides represent the N in NEM." and "Tomoe, with three parts suggesting an M": it is a
real stretch to attribute these elements to the N,E,M characters. It was too abstract, just as one can suggest any three elements of any trinity can
represent any three characters.

The "Base unit of measurement" text and the overlay of radial lines gives the impression that it was designed with exact angles and ratios. The
radial lines unintentionally demonstrate the centralized nature of the circle also the white space in the tomoe forms the three spokes of a triskelion.

The tomoe represents the centralized characteristics of a ring or star network (hub-and-spoke).

When I see the tomoe, the first words that enters my mind is ancient and religious. I think many others will have the same first impression. We need
a symbol that is attractive, modern and technical.

In most cultures, the circle has been a symbol of harmony and unity. It is especially significant In the Eastern cultures, but let's not get too attached
on using it. The majority of cryptos use a circle as their coin and only a very small fraction use the triangle, square or hexagon. NEM is more than
just a coin, we should break from tradition and go with something non-circular.

Another minor reason for not using the tomoe is that some conservative Christians are suspicious of any associations with Eastern symbols or the
number 666.

"Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: His number is 666." -Revelation
13:18 (NKJV)

Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia is the irrational fear of the number 666.
US highway 666 was renumbered because the number 666 carries the stigma of being the mark of the devil.
http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/infrastructure/us666.cfm

"When President Reagan left office, he and Nancy took up residence at 666 St. Cloud Road in Bel-Air but had the address changed to 668 to avoid
the number of the beast." -Los Angeles Times, May 21, 2011

The Japanese mitsudomoe, Pax Cultura banner, Tibetan gankyil, Korean sam-taegeuk, Chinese taijitu and even the volleyball are symbols we should
avoid. The mitsudomoe was used by the Ryukyu Kingdom in Japan, it also looks like 3 spermatozoa or 3 tadpoles or 666.

makoto1337
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2014, 06:26:53 AM

TL

Thanks for the lengthy tome! It was interesting, but I think that a cube is not memorable enough to be a symbol and that the implicit hierarchy in a cube is not a good match for us. Also, there are no 6's in the figure and if anything, tomoe could be interpreted as a Christian symbol, so I think that is not a problem. It's use across many different cultures, from Tibet to America, seems to be a case FOR using tomoe rather than against it Cheesy

I think the main reason why people didn't like tomoe is not because of the symbol itself, but rather for design reasons. There is no reason that tomoe or any other spatial primitive cannot work if done right.

▄▄██████████████████▄▄╓

Sora
|
XOR
bitwhizz
Legendary

Activity: 910

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 07:31:37 AM

@Kim NG
enjoyed the read, great post
BitcoinForumator
Legendary

Activity: 1120

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 08:48:49 AM

Quite funny that you rather choose cube over a 666 symbol. Well guess what conspiracy lovers  Grin Cube (the honeycomb or hegaxon) is apparently just as much "satanic" (so they say) as the 666. But don't ask me why, numerous videos on youtube will tell you.
gvans

Activity: 281
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 10:01:15 AM

All the logo has to do is feel and look good at first glance for outsider. Simple as that. You will not be able to provide lengthy explanations and diagrams with it unfortunatelly. It just is what it is to a fresh newbie as he first interprets it. Cube is a cube, it's wishful thinking to suppose that people will pick the letters from it, no way. Tomoe is some kind of whirl, etc. You have to look it from outsiders' point of view.

BTC 1Mye3mqB9WQdCj3uFwx6zcRArnzbUiq6Ro  ★ [NXT] NXT-RA49-RXFR-V6WE-97HT9
★ [ORA] LOGO  ★ [NEM] LOGO  ★ [NXT] MONOLITH  ★ [EXO] LOGO  ★ [FIMK] LOGO  ★ [NODE] LOGO
Thingamajig

Activity: 497
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 11:47:22 AM

Quite funny that you rather choose cube over a 666 symbol. Well guess what conspiracy lovers  Grin Cube (the honeycomb or hegaxon) is apparently just as much "satanic" (so they say) as the 666. But don't ask me why, numerous videos on youtube will tell you.

I propose we use an image of satans face. Given the trend conspiracy theorists will probably just dismiss it as a goat.

Seriously though, dunno why people get their panties in a twist - people will always see something there isn't, people will always be upset in some way or another.

Personally i found nothing wrong with the dev made logo, but then i also have nothing against the cube either. I wouldn't recommend people fret over what conspiracy nuts or religious nuts think of it.
mrvegad

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 12:20:18 PM

@KimNg

Awesome writeup!

It's too bad that some people won't have an open mind about the logo and no matter people say they will just ignore it and only look at it from their point of view.
abofj

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 12:28:31 PM

It is not difficult to see that the cube logo also looks like a network graph.
The cube symbolizes the decentralized network of the NEM cloud, the 8 corners representing the nodes and the 12 edges representing the links.

The cube is a perfect symbol for NEM. All six attributes of NEM the devs wish to incorporate can be done using the cube.
The 6 faces of the cube represents the 3 exoteric ideals and the 3 esoteric ideas of NEM.
The 3 key ideals are financial freedom, decentralization, and equality of opportunity. Plus the 3 secret components in the PoI algorithm.

https://i.imgur.com/rtp42pT.jpg
The cube represents the decentralized and distributed characteristics of a mesh network (peer-to-peer).

https://i.imgur.com/Nh0r3iI.jpg
All 3 letters of NEM are incorporated into the symbol and are easily identified.

Bitcoin's blockchain has a 2-dimensional quality and can be visualized a sequence of squares. NEM's blockchain, because of it's advanced features
(asset exchange, messaging, games, apps built upon the blockchain, etc) has a 3-dimensional quality can be visualized a sequence of actual blocks.
When we harvest with the client we are processing blocks (cubes).

The cube also has more marketing possibilities than a two-dimensional circle. It has additional surfaces for text and graphics. A hanging mobile can
be constructed for kinetic art advertising. A model can be produced from a 3d printer. The cube is relatively free of the historical and religious
references that plague the tomoe.

Through the centuries, our economy has gone through different phases. We have shifted from an agricultural economy to an industrial one and now
to an information economy. NEM will be part of this economic evolution and if we view NEM as the successor to Bitcoin, our logo should also reflect
this shift away from the industrialized banking system and away from the circular form of world coinage.

https://i.imgur.com/soiVLBF.jpg

These paradigm shifts can be represented as dimensions in space. A point extended becomes a line, the line extended becomes a plane and the
plane extended becomes a solid. Each shift is followed by exponential growth.
0-dimensional, 2^0=1 vertices= point, agrarian, trade based economy
1-dimensional, 2^1=2 vertices= line, banking, fiat based economy
2-dimensional, 2^2=4 vertices= square, digital currency-inefficient PoW, Bitcoin 1.0, logo is a flat circle
3-dimensional, 2^3=8 vertices= cube, digital currency-efficient PoI, NEM 2.0, logo is a solid 3d cube
4-dimensional, 2^4=16 vertices= tesseract, digital currency-a future 3.0 crypto

We should not use the circle just because it has universally been the ideal shape. It all depends on the application.

As an example, even though the circle is the most efficient shape for a room (it encloses the maximum possible area for a given perimeter of wall) it
is not a good choice for the shape of rooms within a house. Wasted gaps of space would be left between the circular rooms.

Another example can be found in nature, the circle would not be the best shape for a bee cell. Space between the circles would be wasted, whereas
the hexagonal structure of a honeycomb shares all its adjacent sides without any gaps. Bees use hexagonal honeycombs for storage because
hexagons more efficient to construct, the structure ensures that bees fill the volume efficiently yet limit the total wall area of the cells. A given
hexagon has the most area inside for the length of its sides.

Hexagons are the most efficient way to divide up a flat plane. The curve of a geodesic dome structure is easier to produce from hexagons. Solar
panel arrays benefit from the area-to-perimeter ratio of a hexagon. The antenna tower sites for cellular phones are also configured in a hexagonal
grid.

https://i.imgur.com/Tk3YTDB.jpg
The geometric efficiency of the honeycomb makes optimal use of space, similarly, NEM's PoI is more efficient than Bitcoin's PoW.

The cube (hexahedron) is related to the hexagon. NEM's cube logo is actually an orthographic projection of a cube. When rendered in two
dimensions it is a flat hexagon.

The cube is one of the 5 platonic solids. All five platonic solids have either three-sided faces or three-way vertices.
tetrahedron,4,6,4 (vertices,edges,faces)
octahedron,6,12,8
cube,8,12,6
icosahedron,12,30,20
dodecahedron,20,30,12

https://i.imgur.com/bFiFPh4.jpg
When orthographically projected, only the hexagon conforms to the symmetries of all five platonic solids.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ab/Regular_Hexagon_Inscribed_in_a_Circle_240px.gif

A hexagon has 6 edges, relating to the 3 key ideals and the 3 secret components in the PoI algorithm.
A hexagon has 6 vertices, again relating to the 3 key ideals and the 3 secret components in the PoI algorithm.
A hexagon can also be created from two equilateral triangles, one triangle representing NEM's 3 key ideals and the other the 3 components of PoI.
Also one triangle could represent the NEM cloud and the other the physical hardware of the network.

The number six also ties in with the idea of six degrees of separation or the small world theory, that there is no more than six degrees of separation
between any two people in the world. Several studies using internet messages have found that the average network path length was 6. If it is not a
security risk, displaying the average network path length would be a interesting feature. It would be a status of the inner workings of PoI. Over time
we could see if NEM's x degrees of separation agrees with the small world theory.

All life on earth is carbon based. The carbon atom has 6 protons in its nucleus and forms hexagonal molecules. The 3-dimensional hexagonal
structure is the reason that diamond is so strong. Graphene and carbon nanotubes are two of the new super materials. In the future these carbon
molecules may replace silicon based semiconductors. Graphene is one of the strongest and thinnest materials, it is a single layer of carbon atoms
arranged in a hexagonal lattice. The line segments in a hexagonal lattice converge at 120 degree angles, this distributes the load evenly and
prevents shearing. Carbon nanotubes are the strongest and stiffest materials yet discovered, it is a single layer of carbon atoms arranged in a
cylindrical form.

https://i.imgur.com/2Xd8T4h.jpg
Graphene is strong and secure just like the strengh of NEM's community and NEM's algorithm.

The water molecules in an ice crystal form a hexagonal lattice, this is what gives the six-fold symmetry to a snow crystals.

really great article, objective !
Two good points:
"cube" - hexagon,
tomoe - polarizing

The latter is often more important than many have thought.
That's why the possible negative points must not be just pushed away.
For example, if 60% doesn't see number 6's figure in the tomoe, and 40% does see, is it ok to skip that point of view?
If you were in a team of the other candidate in US President election, I'm pretty sure, what would you decide after evaluating 60 and 40%.

mattadc

Activity: 426
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2014, 12:47:40 PM

-- snap --
really great article, objective !
Two good points:
"cube" - hexagon,
tomoe - polarizing

The latter is often more important than many have thought.
That's why the possible negative points must not be just pushed away.
For example, if 60% doesn't see number 6's figure in the tomoe, and 40% does see, is it ok to skip that point of view?
If you were in a team of the other candidate in US President election, I'm pretty sure, what would you decide after evaluating 60 and 40%.
+1. If NEM group really is going forward despite the opinion of NEM people, THEN can be started the real conspiracy debate  Grin
 first utopianfuture "played" with puppets and "got caught", then a "good" logo was autocratically chosen, what caused NEM to be ... ... ... ...

MINTER - WE MINT COINS AND CREATE THE INTERNET OF MONEY
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Telegram  |  Bip Wallet  |  Twitter
Pages: « 1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 [101] 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 ... 1993 »
  Print  

Jump to: