Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:05:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 [191] 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 ... 516 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ANTMINER S3+ Discussion and Support Thread  (Read 709802 times)
aztecminer
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 03:51:07 PM

there is no proof that re-pasting affected any of this, and I assume that this is just after a few hours. Some units have a habit of starting bright (at >470), then spontaneously dipping back to 440GH or even lower.  It is also possible that OP had great units to begin with.

http://i62.tinypic.com/2wpm9oz.jpg

there is the first four S3's first screens i took ..
what i think the problem is the stock thermal paste ..
two of the S1's in the above pic are under performing ..
those two were unable to be overclocked ..
both of those have same symptom thermal grease leaking ..
i think the under performance is the stock thermal paste touching the pins ..
maybe the stock thermal paste is capacitive ..
which is same reason i think no one sees improvements using AS5 ..
i will be opening those two S1's and swap the paste and test ..

I am thinking of ordering either Arctic MX-4 or GC-extreme to solve this puzzle once and for all. I have a machine that stubbornly performs at 428Gh at 212.5 and worse on higher mhz. I already applied AS5 very carefully (only on chips) with no effect (positive and negative). I will order one of the pastes above and try again in a few days. if nothing improves, then it is NOT the paste, but DC-DC converter (as I suspect). Could be beneficial for the other 4 machines I am expecting (if new paste works), hence the incentive.
Here is paste comparison:
http://www.eteknix.com/arctic-cooling-mx-4-thermal-paste-review/5/

I have some MX-4 coming along with several small heatsinks for the dc chips as well as the r47s.

If capacitive paste is the issue the fix is more in properly cleaning the boards before the reapply.

I have one machine with a blade running 4 degrees cooler than the other. I just opened it up and found that the outside heatsinks were a little on the loose side.  When I probed the r47s and the black chips above them,  I found the temps to be between 90F - 102F on the R47s and 93F to 111F on the black chips. I'll be trying heatsinks before too long.
Temps were coolest near the intake and warmest in the middle of the unit.

i'm not saying it is the issue, that just what i was thinking though with my two under performing S1's .
i did not have enough heat sinks for the r47's .. i have enough copper heat sinks fit r47 for one unit ..
i have enough aluminum heat sinks fit r47 for one unit ..i didn't have enough for all units so i didn't use them ..
i did put aluminum heat sinks on the black chips ..
one other thing i did was reverse the fans .. that is so the ethernet port is in the back of the unit ..
and i needed the heat to flow towards the back of the unit ..

Did you use pads or paste on those little black chips?

the aluminum heat sinks i used have adhesive pads ..
paste cannot be used on small heat sinks ..
u could use adhesive thermal they stay glued forever .

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
PlanetCrypto

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 04:06:44 PM

The first rack are S1's, the second rack are S3's.
As of last night, the 12 S1's are hashing @ 2,265 GH/s, and the 12 S3's are Hashing @ 5,228 HG/s for a total of 7,494 GH/s.
After that measurement, I overclocked the S3's to 237.5MHz and am monitoring them to see which ones are capable of this increase.
This morning it seems I have 2 "problem children" that don't like the increased clock rate.
But am hashing around 7.9 TH/s.

what do you pay per KW?

Less than .0986/KWH.
We are building/installing a solar farm to supply the energy required.
Payback/breakeven on the solar farm is 24-26 months and is grid tied, so under Minnesota Statutes any excess generation the power company must pay us for.
By the end of the year, the power company (Lake Country Power) will be our backup power source.
And if w ever decide to cease mining operations the solar farm ends up becoming a nice little revenue stream.
It is a fact in America that the cost of electricity NEVER goes down and tends to track with the cost of living.
The secret is to be on the supply side of the equation versus the consumption side of the equation.
And with installed solar at less than $1.00/W this is a reality.

1USD/watt is crazy cheap for installed solar!!

care to share details?

im still waiting on some 500w kickstarter panels to turn up that were scheduled to turn up in april...

they were considerably more exp than 1USD/w

Tad off topic, but here goes.

Like Bitcoin mining the solar installation industry is the "Wild Wild West". Caveat Emptor

ML Solar on eBay, from time to time, sells the Sharp 250HAT's SHIPPED @ $0.76-$.087 per watt. But for the best pricing it's best to call and talk to them directly (no eBay selling fees) http://mlsolar.com/.
www.sunelec.com sells a variety of panels that are in the sub $0.50/W range.
We have purchased product in the past from http://www.simpleray.com/, we are listed with them as "Solar Installers".

For grid tie installations we like the enphase microinverters (http://shop.mlsolar.com/Enphase-M215-60-2LL-Solar-Power-Inverter-180917011985.htm), and for battery bank installations we use exclusively the MorningStar MPPT Charge controllers (which by far have the fastest MPPT algorithm in the industry and the best warranty coverage) http://www.morningstarcorp.com/products/tristar-mppt-600v/.

Probably will regret doing this, but, contact me @ admin@planetcrypto.com

How you are connecting the miners? DC to DC or DC to AC?

Current plan is DC to AC to DC using off the shelf tech. That way any excess KWH is sold to power company. The grid becomes our "battery bank".

Am exploring a 600V to 48V Battery Bank system to power the miners.
So it would be 600V DC (solar array) to charge controllers (Morningstar MPPT 600's) to 48V Batteries (probably US Battery 425A/hr L16 HC's in strings of Cool to 48V/12V DC/DC converters to the miners. System would include AC/DC battery charging for those non-sunny days. Backup genny for battery charging when/if the grid goes away (I own a continuous duty rated 35Kw Onan that is just looking for a purpose in life). This is a grid isolated system technically.
Downside of that route is conversion inefficiencies, cost of batteries, cost and complexity of DC/DC conversion(s). Upside is that the miners are effectively UPS'ed and battery backed up.

Am also looking at using Syn-Gas to power a genny. Which is wood gasification, purify and warehouse the gas (methane, CO, and minor amounts of H2 in suspension, Nat Gas effectively), then use the Syn-Gas to power the genny to do battery charges periodically. Logging scrap is plentiful here and currently considered an annoying waste product of the logging industry.

Am also investigating using wood gasification Syn-Gas as a feed stock to a Fisher-Troops processor to make liquid fuels (diesel/gasoline, GTL-Gas to Liquid). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fischer%E2%80%93Tropsch_process

Another possibility is using wood gasification Syn-Gas in Bloom Energy processors. Like the ones used by eBay, Google, and Walmart. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloom_Energy_Server.

We have time to sort all this out and make an informed decision. As we move forward I'll try to remember to post pics.

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ███████████████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████████████
██▄▄       ▀▀█████████████████████
██████▄▄        ▀█████████████████
███████████▄▄       ▀▀████████████
███████████████▄▄        ▀████████
████████████████████▄▄       ▀▀███
 ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
▄▄        ▀██████████████████████▄
████▄▄        ▀▀██████████████████
█████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████████
█████████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████
██████████████████▄▄        ▀▀████
▀██████████████████████▄▄
  ▀▀████████████████████████
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
  Semux uses 100% original codebase
  Superfast with 30 seconds instant finality
  Tested 5000 tx per block on open network
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 3864

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 04:18:25 PM

Current plan is DC to AC to DC using off the shelf tech. That way any excess KWH is sold to power company. The grid becomes our "battery bank".

So it would be 600V DC (solar array) to charge controllers (Morningstar MPPT 600's) to 48V Batteries (probably US Battery 425A/hr L16 HC's in strings of Cool to 48V/12V DC/DC converters to the miners. System would include AC/DC battery charging for those non-sunny days. Backup genny for battery charging when/if the grid goes away (I own a continuous duty rated 35Kw Onan that is just looking for a purpose in life). This is a grid isolated system technically.
Downside of that route is conversion inefficiencies, cost of batteries, cost and complexity of DC/DC conversion(s). Upside is that the miners are effectively UPS'ed and battery backed up.

Am also looking at using Syn-Gas to power a genny. Which is wood gasification, purify and warehouse the gas (methane, CO, and minor amounts of H2 in suspension, Nat Gas effectively), then use the Syn-Gas to power the genny to do battery charges periodically. Logging scrap is plentiful here and currently considered an annoying waste product of the logging industry.

Am also investigating using wood gasification Syn-Gas as a feed stock to a Fisher-Troops processor to make liquid fuels (diesel/gasoline, GTL-Gas to Liquid). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fischer%E2%80%93Tropsch_process

Another possibility is using wood gasification Syn-Gas in Bloom Energy processors. Like the ones used by eBay, Google, and Walmart. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloom_Energy_Server.

We have time to sort all this out and make an informed decision. As we move forward I'll try to remember to post pics.

Is it possible to use the grid power for mining and simply use solar to kick the power back to utility. Such setup would be simpler, I guess.
PlanetCrypto

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 04:27:23 PM

Is it possible to use the grid power for mining and simply use solar to kick the power back to utility. Such setup would be simpler, I guess.

Yes, absolutely.
The 2 systems need not be tied together. And, in fact, can be geographically distant.
The downside is that the power sold is at a lower $$$/KWH than the power bought.
So it makes monetary sense to use what you generate and sell the excess.
Hence the need/desire to tie the systems together and let it "load balance" itself. Buying some at times and selling some at times.

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
allcoinminer

Activity: 784
Merit: 504

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 04:32:20 PM

Yes, absolutely.
The 2 systems need not be tied together. And, in fact, can be geographically distant.
The downside is that the power sold is at a lower $$$/KWH than the power bought.
Hence the need/desire to tie the systems together and let it "load balance" itself. Buying some at times and selling some at times.

But how due to the very low solar power available time (<= 6hrs) per day the break even on such a setup will be too long.
Biodom
Legendary

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 04:45:57 PM

Yes, absolutely.

But how due to the very low solar power available time (<= 6hrs) per day the break even on such a setup will be too long.

yep, I thought that he is in Minnesota vs Arizona.
Is anybody aware of a program where you can buy a part of a large Arizona installation, then sell the power back to utility or to other states profitably?
If yes, then it makes more sense. Even in TX (Houston), solar is available only 8hr/day on average.
http://www.nrel.gov/gis/images/eere_pv/national_photovoltaic_2012-01.jpg
faetos

Activity: 744
Merit: 514

gotta let a coin be a coin

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 04:49:54 PM

I really appreciate the info on solar. We're going that route as well .

We would be interested in participating in a group buy.
Volume pricing is a good thing.

Solar powering just makes a good business decision.
Pay for input costs 1 time versus a re-occurring cost.
Isolates input cost fluctuations. Amortization of Capex becomes input cost.
Builds equity in the business.
Federal Tax incentives.
Possibly State Tax incentives.
Possible State rebates (cash).
Installation can be Depreciated.

The list goes on and on.

Oh yeah and it doesn't screw the planet in the process. lol.

We get a lot of sunshine here in South Texas, so going solar is a total no brainer. 300 days of sun a year. My AC is driving the power expense way more than the miners, so I'm going to dig into your post and start contacting people in the next few months. Thank you again for posting that info.
Aureum_Coffee

Activity: 130
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 05:02:03 PM

Observation.
In one of the Batch 4 machines I got, there is a machine with a July 28 firmware date within the Kernel Log.

Anyone noticed that?  Is that an experimental firmware?

The cooling fans report constant 7000-9000 RPM range.  That doesn't look normal.  Recommendations?
googlemaster1

Activity: 280

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 05:04:41 PM

Observation.
In one of the Batch 4 machines I got, there is a machine with a July 28 firmware date within the Kernel Log.

Anyone noticed that?  Is that an experimental firmware?

The cooling fans report constant 7000-9000 RPM range.  That doesn't look normal.  Recommendations?

I also just had an issue with two of my miners.  They both just dropped to 380 gh/s. and are giving me some 0000-0--00- in the ASIC status.  Anyone else have this problem or had to deal with this?

BTC: 15565dcUp4LEWe6KYT7tawMHFRL4cBbFGN
allcoinminer

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 05:11:06 PM

Observation.

Anyone noticed that?  Is that an experimental firmware?

The cooling fans report constant 7000-9000 RPM range.  That doesn't look normal.  Recommendations?

Same for me here but a little lower. The fans at 5000  to 7000 rpm for batch 4 S3s. hashing is speed is normal 441Ghs.
Not checked the firmware or its date. Temperatures are normal and lower than batch one.
My all S3 batch 4 units fan is at 5000-7000, I checked it with a piece and the fan are running in higher rpm.
So, its not a hardware error, I think the miner is configured to run at that speed.
PlanetCrypto

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 05:20:09 PM

Yes, absolutely.

The breakeven on the panels currently installed is 24-26 months. Which were purchased 2 years ago year from ML Solar @ $0.76/W. At the time of installation, cost per KWH from Lake Country Power was $0.134/KWH. So these panels are about to hit the breakeven point.

This includes accounting for being @ ~45 degrees latitude which effectively derates a panels output by 30% (70% of rated output, have always found it interesting that the output is roughly the sine of the angle of the latitude, oh shit physics really does work in real world everyday life). Panels are typically rated @ 1000W/meter squared (which is somewhere near the equator). Here in Northern Minnesota that figure drops to ~700W per square meter due to us being higher up on the planet making the photons travel through more atmosphere. Hence less of them reach the surface and energy density is less.

Regarding the Solar charging hours per day issue, this is mitigated by using extremely efficient charge controllers and/or grid tie inverters. Hence my favoritism of enphase microinverters and the Morningstar MPPT charging controller product line.

In conjunction, in battery bank style systems, by designing the battery bank to the lowest feasible voltage. Charging hours are expanded. Because the panels have to overcome a lower voltage to cause battery charging to happen. Thereby expanding the charging hours per day on both ends (morning and evening).

In the current system, which is charges a 12V battery bank, three solar panels are connected in series, which means to cause charging to occur each panel (Voc 37.35V, Vmpp 29.29V) only needs to output 4.4 volts (13.2V combined). This occurs ~8AM and ceases ~6PM. Now is the panel putting out rated current at those times, No. But what it does do is expand the effective hours per day to something closer to 8+.

By changing the battery bank nominal voltage to 48V charging would occur much later in the morning and would cease much earlier in the afternoon. Consequently losing or wasting all the energy the panels were capable of supplying during those early morning and evening hours. The lower nominal battery voltage accounts for a 20%-30% increase in harvested energy (time of year dependent).

To your point, in badly designed systems the effective charging times per day can be as short as 4 hours per day. The devil really is in the details.

Low hours per day charging propaganda is bantered about by fossil fuel dependent energy sources as a means to dissuade consumers from closely examining alternative energy sources.

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
jpchrist

Activity: 174

16Q3R8NAfK63DvkTUGgLdPScyMU8uSAJUH

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 06:12:25 PM

Does anyone has any experience with using 2 different psu's (one for each blade) on an S3. I have a couple of corsair CX430's laying around and was hoping i could use 2 to power one S3.
allcoinminer

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 06:17:40 PM

Does anyone has any experience with using 2 different psu's (one for each blade) on an S3. I have a couple of corsair CX430's laying around and was hoping i could use 2 to power one S3.

You can use. Plug one PSU to one blade and the other one to the second blade.
There should be no lines to a single blade from more than 1 psu.
Just make sure you are not doing the above and fire up the Ant S3-es.
Bitmain even hits that 2 psus can be used. Check the manual too.
Mudbankkeith

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 06:24:18 PM

I have my S1 farm running with 2x evolabs e-600 psu's per miner (one for each blade) these give 16amps on a single PCI-e plug    and   16 amps on the second mixed 12volt rail.

Not a lot of spare headroom on these psu's     but they are cheap.     (16 amps x 12 volts = 192 watts)

BTc donations welcome:-  13c2KuzWCaWFTXF171Zn1HrKhMYARPKv97

Activity: 207
Merit: 112

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 06:27:27 PM

I'm sure many of you know how much trouble I was having with my S3s from B3 last week.
Since I've been running the cgminer restart every 1/2 hour, these are the results.

S31 is clocked at 218, up from 212.
S32 is clocked at 250, up from 218.

24-hour figures are still on the rise.

I am going to re-torque the heatsink on S31 and clock back up to 250. It holds, but always loses one chip about 10 minutes in.

They KEY here, is the restart the cgminer process whenever your problem miners start losing hash. It seems to be VERY different for each miner. But this has been the answer for me.

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 06:30:59 PM

The CX430 should be rated for 32A on the 12+ rail. If you're feeling brave you could probably run a single S3@218 on one power supply. Would definitely work @212.
jpchrist

Activity: 174

16Q3R8NAfK63DvkTUGgLdPScyMU8uSAJUH

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 06:34:49 PM

The CX430 should be rated for 32A on the 12+ rail. If you're feeling brave you could probably run a single S3@218 on one power supply. Would definitely work @212.

Also after bitcoin discount the corsair CX430 is only ~$15 from newegg. Very cheap solution for an underclocked S3

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026
Biodom
Legendary

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 06:36:38 PM

I'm sure many of you know how much trouble I was having with my S3s from B3 last week.
Since I've been running the cgminer restart every 1/2 hour, these are the results.

I am going to re-torque the heatsink on S31 and clock back up to 250. It holds, but always loses one chip about 10 minutes in.

They KEY here, is the restart the cgminer process whenever your problem miners start losing hash. It seems to be VERY different for each miner. But this has been the answer for me.

I am not familiar with this interface..is this ghash?
what's from left to right?
allcoinminer

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 06:40:06 PM

It ghash.io stats page. Post your Antminer stats page.
In ghash stats page I get even 800 for single S3, these are not reliable.
Also when restarting average of 30minute even at miners stats is not so real.
I mean sometimes when cgminer us started the avg will just show a high value like 500, 600 sone times it shows actual value.
So, do you have a figure for every 1hr restart? Why you are restarting at 30minutes? Due to chip shutoff?

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 06:50:33 PM

It ghash.io stats page. Post your Antminer stats page.
In ghash stats page I get even 800 for single S3, these are not reliable.
Also when restarting average of 30minute even at miners stats is not so real.
I mean sometimes when cgminer us started the avg will just show a high value like 500, 600 sone times it shows actual value.
So, do you have a figure for every 1hr restart? Why you are restarting at 30minutes? Due to chip shutoff?

Those are 5 minute, 15 minute, 1 hour, and 24 hour averages. Its from my pool, they pay me according to accepted shares. This is what I'm most concerned about. cgminer stats on these S3s are veritably useless.

Yes I know I have asic errors, but I don't really care because in 15 minutes, I won't.
My hashrates are up, my payouts show it.

This is it for me. No one ever said it was an elegant solution.

Pages: « 1 ... 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 [191] 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 ... 516 »
  Print  

Jump to: