Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 08:42:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 ... 309 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] [VIA] ★ Viacoin ★ ~ the future of digital currency ~ ★  (Read 825828 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
illiki23

Activity: 602
Merit: 295

Hail Eris!

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 07:16:26 PM

bitcoin needs some competition.

its getting to be like your grandads crypto  Grin

I don't think any currency ever will compete with Bitcoin, they are most accepted crypto.

That might be true for web transactions or sending someone "money" where waiting 10 minutes for a confirm isn't a problem. But, for POS type transactions something faster is needed. Less than a minute is probably ok, less than 10 seconds is probable better, less than 1 second is probably optimal.

I think Bitcoin is here to stay, it will be the "gold" of crypto. It will be used as a store of value and for large transactions or for transactions where 10 minutes is fine. But, there is a need for a faster coin. This was the idea of Litecoin, but I think it is still too slow. Will Via win? Will NXT? I don't know.

So, don't think compete but complement is more the word.

Well, the one surprise that I have today after I installed the Wallet is, how fast fast actually synchronized with the blocks. The second surprise did throw me out of the chair. I deposited nearly 1k of viacoins to my wallet and I actually saw all 6 confirmations being confirmed in front of my eyes and under half a minute, I would say ... just great!

Seriously, one of the main factors preventing most bitcoin and altcoin adoption (including bitcoin 2.0 ventures) is ridiculously long transaction times.  I am very excited about Via coin although I learned about it late. (was on a several week crypto vacation).  This is one of the most off-putting things about crypto.

Any decent bitcoin 2.0 platform needs to deal with these issues.  No matter how innovative their service is, if it takes minutes or hours for a transaction people will prefer traditional markets. 

I wish I had more to invest.

▄▄██████▄
         ▄▄████████████
   ▄▄█████████▀▀   ▀████
 ▄███████████▄      ████
████▀   ▀▀██████▄▄▄████
████      ▄███████████▄
▀████▄▄▄████████▀▀▀████▄
 ▀███████████▀      ████
 ████▀▀▀██████▄▄   ▄███▀
████      ▀███████████▀
████▄   ▄▄█████████▀▀
 ████████████▀▀
  ▀██████▀▀
█████████████████

███

██████████

██████

███████████

███████████████

███████████████████
█████████████████

███    

██████████

██████    

███████████

███████████████    

███████████████████
▄█████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████
██████▀███████▀   ▀▀▀▄█████
█████▌  ▀▀███▌       ▄█████

████▀               █████
█████▄              ███████
██████▄            ████████
███████▄▄        ▄█████████
█████▄▄       ▄████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
██████████████████▀▀███████
█████████████▀▀▀    ███████

███████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ███████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████
█████████▌▐       █████████
██████████ ▄██▄  ██████████
████████████████▄██████████
███████▀           ▀███████
██████  ▄██▀▀▀▀▀█▀▄  ██████

█████  █▀  ▄▄▄  ▀█  █████
██████  █  █████  █  ██████
██████  █▄  ▀▀▀  ▄█  ██████
██████  ▀██▄▄▄▄▄██▀  ██████
███████▄           ▄███████
██████████▀█████▀██████████
███████▀  ▀     ▀  ▀███████

█████▌             ▐█████
██████    ██   ██    ██████
█████▌    ▀▀   ▀▀    ▐█████
██████▄  ▄▄▄   ▄▄▄  ▄██████
████████▄▄███████▄▄████████

na]][/font][/font][/size][/font][/td][td][/td][/tr][/table][/tr

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
PilotofBTC
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 07:20:16 PM

Well, the one surprise that I have today after I installed the Wallet is, how fast fast actually synchronized with the blocks.

That is due to the block chain being pretty small due to the coin only being launched recently. Another issue the Bitcoin crowed is going to have to deal with, block chain pruning. I know there has been talk of it, but I'm not sure it has been addressed yet.
MuffinMaster

Activity: 1414
Merit: 265

Pepemo.vip

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 07:29:59 PM

The people waiting for sub 35k might be SOL.

chompyZ

Activity: 291
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 08:37:34 PM

That is due to the block chain being pretty small due to the coin only being launched recently.

Even when the blockchain will be bigger, you can always use Vialectrum... it's super fast and synchronizes immediately.
Besides, TTBOMU, having tree-chains can dissolve the future growth of blockchain size and number of transactions issue altogether.
drkman

Activity: 378

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 08:42:46 PM

What's the value of the clearinghouse?  Hard to understand from the ANN.  What's the current features of this coin?
cassius69

Activity: 280

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 08:45:22 PM

bitcoin needs some competition.

its getting to be like your grandads crypto  Grin

I don't think any currency ever will compete with Bitcoin, they are most accepted crypto.

That might be true for web transactions or sending someone "money" where waiting 10 minutes for a confirm isn't a problem. But, for POS type transactions something faster is needed. Less than a minute is probably ok, less than 10 seconds is probable better, less than 1 second is probably optimal.

I think Bitcoin is here to stay, it will be the "gold" of crypto. It will be used as a store of value and for large transactions or for transactions where 10 minutes is fine. But, there is a need for a faster coin. This was the idea of Litecoin, but I think it is still too slow. Will Via win? Will NXT? I don't know.

So, don't think compete but complement is more the word.

Well, the one surprise that I have today after I installed the Wallet is, how fast fast actually synchronized with the blocks. The second surprise did throw me out of the chair. I deposited nearly 1k of viacoins to my wallet and I actually saw all 6 confirmations being confirmed in front of my eyes and under half a minute, I would say ... just great!

Seriously, one of the main factors preventing most bitcoin and altcoin adoption (including bitcoin 2.0 ventures) is ridiculously long transaction times.  I am very excited about Via coin although I learned about it late. (was on a several week crypto vacation).  This is one of the most off-putting things about crypto.

Any decent bitcoin 2.0 platform needs to deal with these issues.  No matter how innovative their service is, if it takes minutes or hours for a transaction people will prefer traditional markets. 

I wish I had more to invest.

this is the same page i'm on.

viacoin solves one of the major problems of bitcoin.

that is the job of an alt. to offer a superior alternative for solving a problem.

if even if never grows enough to challenge bitcoin it can still gain major market cap and stature.

provenceday
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 02, 2014, 03:09:29 AM
Last edit: August 02, 2014, 02:23:59 PM by provenceday

Can you translate to Chinese for the Chinese crowd? And post to Weibo?

here we go dev:

https://bter.com/article/2187

http://www.8btc.com/peter-todd-joins-viacoin-development-team-chief-scientist

比特币核心的开发人员彼特﹒托德加入Viacoin并担任首席科学家

Viacoin开发团队聘请了比特币核心的开发人员和现任的 Coinkite的顾问彼特﹒托德(Peter Todd),并使彼特﹒托德致力于开发比特币2.0的相关技术.

托德将担任Viacoin的核心项目和分布式的智能合约平台——Clearing House的首席科学家和顾问,Clearing House的开发将很快进行。

托德的加入Viacoin后的最初工作将集中于由他自己提出的树链技术的相关开发。树链可以增加现有区块链的可拓展性,并且保持和侧链技术的兼容和协同工作,并且树链技术可以增加挖矿的去中心化,这也是现有数字货币所面临的一个主要问题。

根据发布在Viacoin的官方博客上的公告:托德的相关工作将极大的提高区块链的多功能性和复合性,并且促进区块链技术在更大范围内的使用。树链技术最后将融合到Viacoin中,并且充当Viacoin的区块链和相关协议的底层基础。

Todd告诉coindesk:

树链的目标是提供一个无需授权的,去中心化的挖矿,增加bitcoin使用规模的发展协议,我希望任何一个去中心化的系统,只要保持一定一致性都有机会共建发展平台,而树链就是那个发展平台。

比特币2.0 技术的发展

作为一个开发者,托德对去中心化的智能区块链平台或者bitcoin 2.0的项目一点也不陌生。作为Coinkite的首席科学家和其在bitcoin core中的相关工作,托德参与了 mastercoin,Counterparty 和 coloured coin,最近托德从mastercoin 的项目中辞职,并随后宣布加盟viacoin的团队。

Clearing House类似合约币的相关概念,在Clearing house 中允许创建和部署各种各样的智能合约。托德的树链技术可以增加区块链之间的协同和通信,潜在的应用可以帮助智能区块链的传输更好的执行。

这对数字货币的影响将是非常巨大的,Viacoin团队告诉coindesk:

给彼特足够的资源帮助其研究和开发区块链技术,这将对去中心化的数字货币产生深久的影响。算力的中心化是一个无法回避的问题,如果你稍加推断,这个问题攸关去中心化的数字货币的生死。

翻译:土豆博士

来源:http://www.coindesk.com/peter-todd-joins-viacoin-development-team-chief-scientist/

btcdrak (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile
August 02, 2014, 08:04:45 AM

Just one point, it is ClearingHouse, not two separate words. Otherwise, awesome   Grin
provenceday
Legendary

View Profile
August 02, 2014, 09:33:19 AM
Last edit: August 02, 2014, 11:59:18 AM by provenceday

Just one point, it is ClearingHouse, not two separate words. Otherwise, awesome   Grin

oh, sorry, i think i will combined them together next time. Grin

Also post this on Another Chinese bitcoin media:  http://www.8btc.com/peter-todd-joins-viacoin-development-team-chief-scientist

also anybody interest with side chain and tree chain technology can read these articles:

http://blog.greenaddress.it/2014/06/13/sidechains-treechains-the-tldr/
http://www.mail-archive.com/bitcoin-development@lists.sourceforge.net/msg04388.html
cassius69

Activity: 280

View Profile
August 02, 2014, 11:59:22 AM

im buying on dips. via is looking really good.

provenceday
Legendary

View Profile
August 02, 2014, 12:13:35 PM

Sidechains, Treechains, the TL;DR

(i am not the author of this article, here is the source: http://blog.greenaddress.it/2014/06/13/sidechains-treechains-the-tldr/

This document is aimed at technical readers and is simply a brief explanation of sidechains and treechains as far as I understand them, based on public information.  Both are obviously still in very preliminary development, but this document is just to introduce the broad concepts, and their consequences. Some people have been asking for something like this, might as well see if this helps.

With GHash is getting nearly 50% of hashing power of the network, this discussion is more timely than ever.

I’ll start with sidechains, since treechains are essentially a specific form of sidechains.

Sidechains:

In the most general, sidechains will use “SPV Proofs” to send satoshis from the regular Bitcoin chain to the sidechain, and allows the sidechain to eventually send the satoshis back to the main chain once the owner of said coin is finished utilizing the sidechain. While in the sidechain, the main chain knows nothing of what’s happening to the coin, the sidechain is the one tracking who owns what at what time.

The side chain can basically have any rules it likes for what a valid block is, block times, etc. Typically the idea is that these chains will be merge mined with the Bitcoin network, to ensure that a reasonable amount of hashing power is protecting the sidechain network from DoS, and outright theft of coins by miners which is possible due to the limitations of the SPV proofs. It’s important to note however, that it has been suggested that the outright theft of coins by miners may be protected against using zk-SNARKs.(https://eprint.iacr.org/2013/507.pdf)

The pros of sidechains appear to be:

1 You don’t need permission to start a new chain with new validation rules, block times, whatever. You could fairly trivially add Zerocash, Ethereum rules, and still have them pegged in satoshis. Also would be a great way to test out new opcodes/communication protocols for the base protocol and codebase.

2 The sidechains would be backed by the hashing power of the Bitcoin network, so given certain conditions(detailed below) it can’t be trivially attacked.

The cons are as far as we know(not counting new zk-SNARK moon math that hasn’t been given to the public):

1 Merge mining also means two things: There is no inherent block reward. Security will most likely be only be from transaction fees. more importantly, you need to convince the large pools to manually activate the merged mining of these chains, otherwise a 51% attack is essentially free. You also have to trust the pools aren’t faking downtime, while secretly mining the chain.

2 Long-term it can contribute to centralization of mining, just in the same way that increasing the block size would. It would be optional to mine these sidechains yes, but if it becomes a sizeable fraction of transaction fees, the economics work in the favor of more centralization.

3 Sending satoshis back and forth  between chains will take days, to ensure that satoshis aren’t being stolen by miners, again due to the aforementioned SPV proofs, which is something that simply can’t happen in vanilla Bitcoin. Most going back and forth will be done using atomic swaps in between users to reduce this waiting period.

Treechains:

I think of treechains as tighter-coupled sidechains. The difference in chain structure is larger than between sidechains and the vanilla Bitcoin protocol, so I’m tackling them in broad brush-strokes.

1 Miners are not required to validate blocks, outside of the PoW difficulty being low enough, and being a proper hash of the block+previous block. If the block header looks legit, miners can start to build on top of this.

2 Starting from the main Bitcoin chain, each chain will have a left and right descendant chain. This builds a binary tree of chains, hence “treechains”. Each chain level has 2^(numlevels-1) chains, doubling the number of the previous level. Each difficulty threshold is also halved. Based on the hash of the transactions, they can only be mined in in specific paths of the tree structure(starting from the first bit of the hash from the root of the tree, ‘0’ means left subtree, ‘1’ means right). Each time satoshis are spent, it will get sent to another chain in the same level based on the previous transaction’s hash(ignoring up/down movement for clarity).
In addition, each path is merge mined, allowing miners to mine one and only one path of the tree using the same hashing work. So for example, 3 layers down, there should on average only be an 8th of the total transactions on any specific chain, as well as only an 8th of the total mining power, resulting in roughly the same block time as higher chains!

3 The chains are linked together more strongly than sidechains to enforce a total ordering of transactions. Every time a miner gets a PoW high enough for a certain level, it “links” that block with all the blocks being mined below together. This enforces the total ordering we want. Transactions on let’s say level 16 will have a higher chance of getting orphaned, but eventually once they “percolate” up to the main chain, they are just as secure as the main chain. The linking also determines when you can spend your satoshis, meaning lower chains will take longer to spend the same outputs again compared to higher chains. To spend your satoshis from chain A to chain B at level C, the previously mined transaction’s block in A must be linked to B’s nearest common ancestor chain, with the only valid paths being forward/up the chains, not backwards.

4 Last important thing to note about the tree structure: Parent chain always wins. If the child chain is in conflict with the parent chain(the links are inconsistent, making total ordering inconsistent), those blocks child blocks are orphaned. Therefore, re-organizations at higher chains can cause reorganizations at lower chains, but not vice versa.

And their consequences/caveats:

1 Since miners aren’t required to validate anything outside of basic PoW, this breaks the need to beg miners for protocol changes. Granted, there will be a base BTC layer that allows things like “miner gets block reward” and “pay .0001 BTC to miner for transaction fee” to incentivize the mining, but outside of this, it allows fairly arbitrary protocols. One could even imagine paying a miner colored coins to get it included in a block, if the miner wanted equity! One thing this can’t do versus sidechains is initialize chains with arbitrary block times. However you might be able to get away with much faster block times than vanilla Bitcoin due to #2. Overall, this will let innovation at the edges happen, without having to agree on everything with Core Devs, or mining pools, or industry, etc. SPV clients won’t be possible, at least in their current form, due to SPV’s assumption that mined blocks are validated by the miners.

2 Proving who owns what when will be more complicated for the client, as they can’t assume miners are validating a certain protocol. Clients will have to hold data outside of their private keys, proving to the payee that these coins exist and control them. This will be more complicated than our SPV clients we have today, but will make running a node with “full node” security tractable, as you don’t care what the contents of most blocks are, just the blocks that prove to you that you own the satoshis you own(a small sample of blocks compared to the whole tree of chains). These proofs will be “compact”, although it remains to be seen how much more compact than linear in block sizes we can get(insert zk-SNARK moon math for sublinear performance?).

3 Combining with consequences from #1, miners will be able to mine as little or as much as they like, with only paying attention to block headers, and block payloads that again, prove to him that they’re actually being paid to mine by fees. A miner could simply keep track of all headers in the treechains, which is trivial, and solo mine 16 levels down, where their variance is 2^(-16) less than the vanilla blockchain mining, due to the sparsity of miners that far down in a branch. If a user is willing to wait a while for the ability to re-spend their outputs, they can approach a solo miner, pay a smaller fee than usual, and wait for the block to get linked higher in the tree.This opens up a true marketplace for fees, as well as allows small pools/solo miners to make a real difference when it comes to block creation. Lastly, this system appears to scale to an infinite amount of transactions, without hurting decentralization.

4 The linking scheme ultimately means that orphan rates will be higher at lower levels, and re-spending outputs will take longer, and will be based on where the next transaction will end up in the tree structure. However, for your coffee money, it enables you to get in a block, and for the merchant to not worry too much that you’ll try and 51% attack 5 levels down as it won’t make economic sense.

In summary(TL;DR’s TL;DR):

A Sidechain, at its most general, is a loosely coupled chain that, in general, uses merged mining to protect the network. These chains are “backed” by BTC from the Bitcoin network, rather than minting their own coin and diluting scarcity. There are some questions about security guarantees versus the Bitcoin network.

A Treechain is a structure of more-tightly coupled sidechains. This structure, in theory, allows miners to mine at arbitrary variance without pooling, scaling of the system far beyond 7tps without asking permission, and other innovation at the edges, all with the same protections of the main Bitcoin network. With the huge caveat that the idea is still half-baked, has no known SPV client support, and is much more complicated than a vanilla blockchain.

Both ideas are interesting ways of tackling some of the important problems that all cryptocurrencies face. We should know more about the actual implementation of sidechains within 3 months, as the company Blockstream will be releasing a white paper and source code. Many of these ideas that aren’t published will be directly applicable to treechains, as they are kin in many ways, including how they will be rolled out initially.

I’m personally biased towards treechains in that I believe the de-coupling of miners and policy is a huge step forward, even just for new fancy opcodes without permission. It may also enable us to be free of begging MegaPool#9 not to 51% attack us, which is already happening. I for one would like to solo-mine on a USB ASIC!

Unfortunately due to its complexity and fundamental difference with Bitcoin proper, it will almost certainly take more time to flesh out and convince others that radical steps need to be taken to keep cryptocurrency decentralized. I look forward to its development.

If you have time on your hands to check out more of the details of treechains,
here is Peter Todd’s initial writeup of many of the ideas: http://www.mail-archive.com/bitcoin-development@lists.sourceforge.net/msg04388.html

As well as the Let’s Talk Bitcoin podcast where he goes into much of this detail: here:http://letstalkbitcoin.com/ltb104-tree-chains-with-peter-todd/
(thanks to /u/_Mr_e)

Hope someone finds this helpful,

Greg Sanders
Contributor to Bitcoin.org’s Bitcoin Developer Guide
gsanders87@gmail.com

Peter Todd (https://twitter.com/petertoddbtc)sent us the following:

FWIW there are some concerns raised re: how tree chains handles data
loss at the lowest levels; I’m not sure yet that those concerns can be
resolved. Also Adam Back raised some potential issues re: incentives in
some edge cases. Of course, you did quite correctly describe the idea as
half baked. Smiley

provenceday
Legendary

View Profile
August 02, 2014, 03:27:11 PM

any update from dev? Grin
griffga

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 02, 2014, 09:45:46 PM

any update from dev? Grin

Blockchain 2.0 will change everything. I am eagerly awaiting this coin's true value to emerge!
Pmalek
Legendary

Activity: 2744
Merit: 7123

View Profile
August 02, 2014, 10:25:54 PM
Last edit: August 03, 2014, 01:09:59 AM by Pmalek

Is this something to worry about?

Edit: @provenceday Yep that!

.BLACKJACK ♠ FUN.
█████████
██████████████
████████████
█████████████████
████████████████▄▄
░█████████████▀░▀▀
██████████████████
░██████████████
████████████████
░██████████████
████████████
███████████████░██
██████████
CRYPTO CASINO &
SPORTS BETTING
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
███████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
▀███████████████▀
█████████
provenceday
Legendary

View Profile
August 02, 2014, 10:38:26 PM

Is this something to worry about?

you mean the treechains technology? or something else?

when people realized what viacoin is doing, they will join us. Wink
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
August 02, 2014, 11:41:58 PM

it seems everything about the viacoin fork issues has been settle down.

cryptsy is still on the wrong fork

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
btcdrak (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile
August 02, 2014, 11:43:55 PM

And they apparently dont care. They have disabled deposit and withdrawals. I've sent several emails and tickets and tweets over the last few days. No reply.
andreibi
Legendary

Activity: 1647
Merit: 1012

Practising Hebrew before visiting Israel

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2014, 12:31:25 AM

Also please investigate issue with xhash. Might be a forking problem too.

has any one else been having some issues with mining viacoin on Xhash.net?

moosington

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 12:38:38 AM

Also please investigate issue with xhash. Might be a forking problem too.

has any one else been having some issues with mining viacoin on Xhash.net?

No problems mining on X-Hash here. I did at the start but all fine now. Approx 1.5% rejects.
provenceday
Legendary

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 01:11:39 AM

And they apparently dont care. They have disabled deposit and withdrawals. I've sent several emails and tickets and tweets over the last few days. No reply.

it seems cryptsy are becoming older everyday.

they do not care new coins and do not care user experience.
Pages: « 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 ... 309 »
  Print  

Jump to: