Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 06:14:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 [83] 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 ... 309 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] [VIA] ★ Viacoin ★ ~ the future of digital currency ~ ★  (Read 825829 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 06:35:42 AM

I'll be honest.  I dismissed investing in Syscoin early on, almost right away.  I had a visceral reaction to their video, and the fact that they were selling t-shirts, hats, and keychains on their ANN page didn't sit well with me either.  I want to see someone focused on their work, not on making some side change.  So presentation wise, they didn't grab my attention enough to bother deeply looking into what they were doing. Again it could be a winner, it just didn't fit into what I'm looking for.

Later after they had done the first portion of their IPO and had moved onto their bigger raise, I'd been told to check them out again.  From the little I did read, I noticed the guys were working on it part time (correct me if I'm wrong).  It's hard enough to change the world even when dedicated on a full time basis, it's practically impossible to do it part time.  So I stopped reading there again.

I could be wrong, and they might deliver.  But I approach investing a lot how I imagine surfing would be.  I like to see things line up right before I put any real effort into trying to catch the right wave.  If early indicators tell me it's not the right one, then I don't bother looking at it much more (unless I have good reason to come back to it).  If you try to catch every wave (or in this case invest in every coin that looks kinda interesting) you'll just be exhausted and when the good one comes along you won't be able to maximize your enjoyment, or in the case of cryptos your return.  And this is just how I approach it.  The video and t-shirts could legitimately be the kind of thing someone else is looking for. 

This is not to say it's a +EV investment.  I think there is likely a good trade in there as the final BTC of the sale got snatched up pretty quickly.  But it's not the big wave I'm willing to try and take for a long ride.

Theres about 5 full time devs working on it... I seen the code, tons of value add there... as a bitcoin dev I can see why people are interested in it.. thats why I joined the team aswell.. I wanted to make a change.. and there def is innovation there. The team is great, always responded even to trolls, thats one thing I look for in a coin to raise above the scam coins coming out everyday.. the communication of the team is a big thing that people seem to dismiss. The technical ability is also important but being on time with things and doing what you see without negative surprises is a big plus with Sys

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
masternode

Activity: 443
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 06:39:59 AM

I'll be honest.  I dismissed investing in Syscoin early on, almost right away.  I had a visceral reaction to their video, and the fact that they were selling t-shirts, hats, and keychains on their ANN page didn't sit well with me either.  I want to see someone focused on their work, not on making some side change.  So presentation wise, they didn't grab my attention enough to bother deeply looking into what they were doing. Again it could be a winner, it just didn't fit into what I'm looking for.

Later after they had done the first portion of their IPO and had moved onto their bigger raise, I'd been told to check them out again.  From the little I did read, I noticed the guys were working on it part time (correct me if I'm wrong).  It's hard enough to change the world even when dedicated on a full time basis, it's practically impossible to do it part time.  So I stopped reading there again.

I could be wrong, and they might deliver.  But I approach investing a lot how I imagine surfing would be.  I like to see things line up right before I put any real effort into trying to catch the right wave.  If early indicators tell me it's not the right one, then I don't bother looking at it much more (unless I have good reason to come back to it).  If you try to catch every wave (or in this case invest in every coin that looks kinda interesting) you'll just be exhausted and when the good one comes along you won't be able to maximize your enjoyment, or in the case of cryptos your return.  And this is just how I approach it.  The video and t-shirts could legitimately be the kind of thing someone else is looking for.  

This is not to say it's not a +EV investment.  I think there is likely a good trade in there as the final BTC of the sale got snatched up pretty quickly.  But it's not the big wave I'm willing to try and take for a long ride.

Theres about 5 full time devs working on it... I seen the code, tons of value add there... as a bitcoin dev I can see why people are interested in it.. thats why I joined the team aswell.. I wanted to make a change.. and there def is innovation there. The team is great, always responded even to trolls, thats one thing I look for in a coin to raise above the scam coins coming out everyday.. the communication of the team is a big thing that people seem to dismiss. The technical ability is also important but being on time with things and doing what you see without negative surprises is a big plus with Sys

And I was careful to point out that I didn't look deeply at it.  I don't want anyone to think I'm bashing Syscoin.  It just didn't resonate well with me upon my initial examination of it, and there's nothing wrong with that.  I've been wrong plenty.  I miss plenty of winners.  I'm ok with that though.  I just try and make sure that i'm 100% behind a coin so it doesn't ever feel like work to come out and defend it against trolls.
btcdrak (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 06:41:53 AM

"always" responding to trolls is not an indication of anything except you are willing to drain all your energy and fail to see the whole point of trolling. You are familiar with "dont feed the trolls" surely. A troll does not care about the truth, or your response. They want to increase the noise levels, raise emotion and create confusion, uncertainty and doubt by drowning out what is relevant or true in the discussion. The more sensible approach is to have a FAQ that covers discussions, otherwise every new troll that comes along resets the discussion to 0 and repeats the same crap over again.
masternode

Activity: 443

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 06:43:27 AM

"always" responding to trolls is not an indication of anything except you are willing to drain all your energy and fail to see the whole point of trolling. You are familiar with "dont feed the trolls" surely. A troll does not care about the truth, or your response. They want to increase the noise levels, raise emotion and create confusion, uncertainty and doubt by drowning out what is relevant or true in the discussion. The more sensible approach is to have a FAQ that covers discussions, otherwise every new troll that comes along resets the discussion to 0 and repeats the same crap over again.

You're very right.  And I was being a little bit humorous in mentioning the trolls.  In general I just like to be 100% behind my investments, not kinda behind them.
btcdrak (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 06:53:45 AM

You're very right.

Disruption techniques are an art and one you cannot win against by fighting. In fact, some you cannot even engage against. It's why leading questions can be objected to in court for examples. It's why paid thugs (false flag) can disrupt peaceful demonstrations (pretending to be angry demonstrators) and win at painting the protectors as wrongdoers every time. That's just how it is. Better to put your head down and work. Deal with objections when they come and make a place for people who are genuinely interested in finding out about the project.

The fun takeaway from all this is Viacoin is being talked about at all levels yet we don't have a PR machine. Viacoin is being approached by big names in the industry to pledge support. We have a growing community of people actually contributing to code, testing and bug fixes. The nay sayers are mostly noise. We will just continue doing what we are doing. We never 'sold ourselves'. We simply stated what we were doing and provided ways to get involved. So personally, my conscience is clear, we have delivered, we have over delivered and we'll just keep doing our thing. If others like it great, and if they don't, I'm quite OK with that too.

So that said, I'm going back to work Wink
EtherCoin

Activity: 338
Merit: 255

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 06:59:53 AM

@btcdrak,

As a VIA investor (or insert any other definition you find fit) I would like to know your opinion regarding the recent decrease in price of the coin, specially if you think there are different motives to cause so other than the actual BTC price dive.

Thanks.

Eth.
sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 07:17:00 AM

I guess thats the difference in philosophy with this team and sys.. there is always a way to handle those types of people. I meant the types that ask the same questions.. some are generally curious.

The ones flaming others etc yea you cant do anything about them but flag them. Its certainly takes effort and skill to deal with people in a sensible manor but alot of tech devs surely havent honed them except for a few. That is part of the valuation nowadays to determine the character snd integrity of a team is just as important as technical skill.
btcdrak (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 07:19:56 AM

@btcdrak,

As a VIA investor (or insert any other definition you find fit) I would like to know your opinion regarding the recent decrease in price of the coin, specially if you think there are different motives to cause so other than the actual BTC price dive.

Thanks.

Eth.

I prefer not to comment on price because of my position. But if you allow me to put my trader's hat on for a moment, BTC has been itching for a dump for quite a while. The writing has been on the wall. Simultaneously with BTC, if you look at coinmarketcap (http://imgur.com/aLR5wdI) you will notice almost all alts have taken a beating. Until the BTC crash Viacoin was quite disconnected from BTC price as you would expect.  But a logical thing for investors to do if BTC is crashing is to hedge into USD, that means converting alts to BTC and selling those for USD. The reason is most people still value the dollar more than bitcoin because ultimately most things are still priced in USD even if you have bitcoin payment methods.  A change in bitcoin value affects one's spending power. It's the psychology of "if bitcoin were to become worthless tomorrow then... better get out now and protect my value".

You normally dont see correlation between all (most) alts and BTC price unless there are massive price moves in bitcoin. If you compare the large price moves down of Via, they seen to match the downward moves of BTC. Another logical thing to expect is once confidence returns that BTC has stopped declining, alt investors will buy back BTC and get back into alts. Remember the volume of the alt market is still pretty small, so that buying would not necessarily affect the price of BTC upwards. The correlation works more one-way because alt-people are following the herd to protect their USD value, but alt investors are not the herd, they are a small crowd by comparison (by volume) so when they move back to alts via BTC they dont affect the BTC market profoundly.

So I'm not passing any judgements or making any conclusions because I would be inappropriate, but those are strong factors to consider for sure.
btcdrak (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 07:23:07 AM

The ones flaming others etc yea you cant do anything about them but flag them. Its certainly takes effort and skill to deal with people in a sensible manor but alot of tech devs surely havent honed them except for a few. That is part of the valuation nowadays to determine the character snd integrity of a team is just as important as technical skill.

Absolutely, no-one ever said anything about not answering genuine questions (you specifically mentioned handling trolls). In fact, I went further to say everything gets answered and consolidated to a place where all positive and negatives are summarised like this: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=699278.msg7901691#msg7901691. Genuine people are quite happy to be pointed to a reference. Trolls are not and just persist in their tactics. In the end, after the first few pages, ANNs are pretty much all noise anyway. Who wants to read thousands of comments (this being post #1690) Very few.
smokim87

Activity: 952
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 07:28:54 AM

I'll be honest.  I dismissed investing in Syscoin early on, almost right away.  I had a visceral reaction to their video, and the fact that they were selling t-shirts, hats, and keychains on their ANN page didn't sit well with me either.  I want to see someone focused on their work, not on making some side change.  So presentation wise, they didn't grab my attention enough to bother deeply looking into what they were doing. Again it could be a winner, it just didn't fit into what I'm looking for.

Later after they had done the first portion of their IPO and had moved onto their bigger raise, I'd been told to check them out again.  From the little I did read, I noticed the guys were working on it part time (correct me if I'm wrong).  It's hard enough to change the world even when dedicated on a full time basis, it's practically impossible to do it part time.  So I stopped reading there again.

I could be wrong, and they might deliver.  But I approach investing a lot how I imagine surfing would be.  I like to see things line up right before I put any real effort into trying to catch the right wave.  If early indicators tell me it's not the right one, then I don't bother looking at it much more (unless I have good reason to come back to it).  If you try to catch every wave (or in this case invest in every coin that looks kinda interesting) you'll just be exhausted and when the good one comes along you won't be able to maximize your enjoyment, or in the case of cryptos your return.  Again, this is just how I approach it.  The video and t-shirts that I had a visceral reaction to could legitimately be the kind of thing someone else is looking for.  

This is not to say that it's not a +EV investment.  I think there is likely a good trade in there as the final Syscoin of the sale got snatched up pretty quickly.  I'm sure after it hits exchanges there'll be some money to be made.  But it's not the big wave I'm willing to try and take for a long ride.

Thank you very much for your answer, appreciate it. Your absolutely right, catching every coin does take the joy out the whole thing. I usually try going with 1-2 coins at most and it has worked very well for me. I got a little carried this month and jumped on more coins than I usually do and didn't end too well. Via is my top investment for now, been trying to find another promising coin and invest early. Syscoin seems worth the investment and hopefully my judgement is right on this just as with my choice to invest in Via.

Thanks again for the input, helps alot for future decisions and investments.

Anyways back to Viacoin discussion.

Don't feed the trolls  Cheesy

Regarding the price, its not just Via. As bitcoin prices drop people tend to liquidate their coins in bitcoin and sell it for fiat hoping to buy bitcoin at a lower price. All it takes is one big sell order on any coin to start the chain reaction and panic. Try looking into the history of stock markets at its very beginning, the past is the key to the future  Wink
EtherCoin

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 08:06:03 AM

@btcdrak,

Thanks.

Eth.

I prefer not to comment on price because of my position. But if you allow me to put my trader's hat on for a moment, BTC has been itching for a dump for quite a while. The writing has been on the wall. Simultaneously with BTC, if you look at coinmarketcap (http://imgur.com/aLR5wdI) you will notice almost all alts have taken a beating. Until the BTC crash Viacoin was quite disconnected from BTC price as you would expect.  But a logical thing for investors to do if BTC is crashing is to hedge into USD, that means converting alts to BTC and selling those for USD. The reason is most people still value the dollar more than bitcoin because ultimately most things are still priced in USD even if you have bitcoin payment methods.  A change in bitcoin value affects one's spending power. It's the psychology of "if bitcoin were to become worthless tomorrow then... better get out now and protect my value".

You normally dont see correlation between all (most) alts and BTC price unless there are massive price moves in bitcoin. If you compare the large price moves down of Via, they seen to match the downward moves of BTC. Another logical thing to expect is once confidence returns that BTC has stopped declining, alt investors will buy back BTC and get back into alts. Remember the volume of the alt market is still pretty small, so that buying would not necessarily affect the price of BTC upwards. The correlation works more one-way because alt-people are following the herd to protect their USD value, but alt investors are not the herd, they are a small crowd by comparison (by volume) so when they move back to alts via BTC they dont affect the BTC market profoundly.

So I'm not passing any judgements or making any conclusions because I would be inappropriate, but those are strong factors to consider for sure.

Thanks for your prompt answer, sure thing my question was kind of delicate considering your position, so double thanks for your effort at expressing your thoughts about it.

Eth.

EtherCoin

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 08:16:21 AM

Regarding the price, its not just Via. As bitcoin prices drop people tend to liquidate their coins in bitcoin and sell it for fiat hoping to buy bitcoin at a lower price. All it takes is one big sell order on any coin to start the chain reaction and panic. Try looking into the history of stock markets at its very beginning, the past is the key to the future  Wink

True, this week has been red all along for every single coin (and other markets in general), except maybe, the ones backed by real assets (see URO, SYNC) that perhaps are or at least are considered less affected by whatever happens with BTC itself (?).

Honestly, my concern is that I got some orders stuck in the high 50s (I play at certain % for long term investment which I hold since the 20s, and a smaller % for shorting, trying to buy cheaper and reinvest afterwards, increasing the total holding of the coin). Guess I will have to wait to release the shorts and keep playing with them.

Eth.

smokim87

Activity: 952
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 08:42:36 AM

Regarding the price, its not just Via. As bitcoin prices drop people tend to liquidate their coins in bitcoin and sell it for fiat hoping to buy bitcoin at a lower price. All it takes is one big sell order on any coin to start the chain reaction and panic. Try looking into the history of stock markets at its very beginning, the past is the key to the future  Wink

True, this week has been red all along for every single coin (and other markets in general), except maybe, the ones backed by real assets (see URO, SYNC) that perhaps are or at least are considered less affected by whatever happens with BTC itself (?).

Honestly, my concern is that I got some orders stuck in the high 50s (I play at certain % for long term investment which I hold since the 20s, and a smaller % for shorting, trying to buy cheaper and reinvest afterwards, increasing the total holding of the coin). Guess I will have to wait to release the shorts and keep playing with them.

Eth.

This month has been pretty bad, number of trolls have increased exponentially around the forum, volume is shrinking everyday, prices dropping...etc. I assume the drop in prices causes alot of angry traders and leads them to troll the coins doing good while others are just getting slaughtered. Is it possible there's alot of profit taking, position adjustments before the beginning of September when alot of people are back in the markets after their summer vacations?
FryguyUK
Legendary

Activity: 801

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 02:01:50 PM

coin is dumped twice but after both times moves sideways
blaaaaacksuit

Activity: 280

Who cares?

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 05:16:11 PM

@btcdrak,

Thanks.

Eth.

For those of us who don't think this is the end of bitcoin and also see value in viacoin, this is Christmas morning.
Liquid71

Activity: 835

There is NO Freedom without Privacy

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 05:57:44 PM

For anybody who is interested and cant see why via is better at doing what counterparty should do. check the block explorer for counterparty and notice the times between blocks. when you are p2p trading these block times need to be fast so orders match and assets exchange quickly. While your waiting for counterparty you could have missed a better price or worse price.

http://blockscan.com/tx.aspx?p=1
I agree Viacoin is vastly superior, my only fear is as block rewards continue to go down the risk of a 51% attack increases. It seems to me that merged mining would secure the blockchain better. If I'm wrong about the current risk to the network please correct me. I own some Via but would love to buy more because I believe in it's potential, just haven't pulled the trigger because I don't understand how the network will operate securely in the future.

its really not a big concern for scrypt/alt based coins. It sort can, but it gets orders of magnitude harder then bitcoin's 51% chances
Actually that's wrong, but I found the answer thanks to BTCdrak and the thread summary post https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=699278.msg7901691#msg7901691
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=682186.msg7751953#msg7751953

now I'm ready to pull the trigger and getting a much better entry point thanks to the market.

Everyone worried about the price, all alts are bleeding red. Also weekends seem to always be low volume and down for alts even when BTC isn't dropping. I wouldn't worry about the short term price as long as you believe in the long term potential. Just my 2 cents

compumine

Activity: 252

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 06:54:04 PM

You gotta love the volatility in the crypto world if you are a trader.  In the stock exchanges, a price drop takes a very long time to rebound. In BTC/alts, it takes few days or a week or 2 before we're up and beyond.

Look at BTC price @ $600 as an example, it was there in march, then dipped down and back up in May.  Compare that to let's say FB stock. Opened up in the $40's and it took over 2 years to get above that price.  Same for twitter, it opened up above what it's at now and look at it since.

*Image Removed*
Celani10

Activity: 173
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 08:06:28 PM

Just sold at a loss this shit...

Seriously btcdrak you are fucking greedy and stupid

You made 600 fucking BTC from the IPO and you already asking for more?Huh

Seriously?Huh you made like 300k USD and you want more 1 month later?

Seriously fuck you dude

This is just non-sense and greedy.

You probably are seeing other IPO's making a lot of money like SYS and ETHER and want to make more

Also this stuff where you going to keep the """""BURN"""" VIA is scammy as hell

So fuck this shit, not touching this coin again
J9901

Activity: 490

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 08:16:06 PM

^ @ Celani10

I like the part most where you initially called people who are currently selling 'f***** stupid' and even gave good reasons to NOT sell, then not an hour later, edit that same post to that rant above.

Didn't follow your own advice, turned hypocrite, then went full retard.

smh.  Sad
andreibi
Legendary

Activity: 1647
Merit: 1012

Practising Hebrew before visiting Israel

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2014, 08:22:49 PM

Celani, you're the weak hand.

Pages: « 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 [83] 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 ... 309 »
  Print  

Jump to: