Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 01:46:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 [120] 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312395 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
darlidada

Activity: 723
Merit: 503

View Profile
February 06, 2015, 06:31:25 PM

Active thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=947839.0

Ive designed a very specific technical implementation to add trustless, tradable, contracts on the Cryptonote prototcol.

The whitepaper can be downloaded from Google drive

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B75gaqtEgDR8UHU2UVJ6TkYzMnRkdFFsbklBd3hVMDV1eDQw/view?usp=sharing

I am looking to implement this very soon on one of the existing Cryptonote coins.

Looking for suggestions, criticisms, anything that will facilitate this implementation. Unlike most other suggestions or whitepapers I have the full technical ability and experience to implement these changes. I don't want to deal with the prospect of launching a new coin, nor should I have to as these changes would only improve the features of an existing Cryptonote coin.

Roman Brown
romanbrown54@gmail.com

I want this to happen. Willing to donate 100 xmr.
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
UnicornFarts

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 01:32:30 AM

I'm interested to hear what the current known devs think about this whitepaper.

Trustless contracts with cryptonote seems like an insanely good idea.  Curious as to how difficult it's going to be to implement.
smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 01:58:39 AM

I'm interested to hear what the current known devs think about this whitepaper.

Trustless contracts with cryptonote seems like an insanely good idea.  Curious as to how difficult it's going to be to implement.

I don't know why the author saw fit to spam his proposal all over the place, but on one of the many threads gmaxwell replied with some issues: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=947796.msg10379309#msg10379309

My own view is that judging outcomes based on a URL is a terrible idea, and the proposal isn't trustless because the issuer has a veto power. If the judgement doesn't go the way the issuer likes, the issuer can continue vetoing it indefinitely, until it does. Miners will get the message and go along, because they're just in it for the fees anyway. I'm not even sure miner judging contracts is such a good idea, and the author seems to agree since he gives the issuer a veto, but in doing that renders the decentralization somewhat moot.

The asset trading (colored coin) portion is sort of okay, and we've discussed similar schemes, although it isn't really clear that putting arbitrary assets on a single blockchain is really a good idea. What happens when there are 10 000 assets? That means every node has to carry around 10 000 assets and asset trades on the blockchain? 100 000? Does not seem very scalable to me, nor likely to remain decentralized.

A better (scalable) solution I think is for these sorts of assets to use their own chain(s) and enable some form of cross-chain trading.

Punggawa
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 02:17:11 AM

what do you think about this coin monero
time to buy or sell? because I see on poloniex change -2.04
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2015, 01:38:52 PM

Yah know what, I'm just gonna announce when I buy. Because apparently thats when you should sell. Sombitch. Everytime. Everytime I buy it then tanks.

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
mmortal03
Legendary

Activity: 1762
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 03:15:33 PM

Yah know what, I'm just gonna announce when I buy. Because apparently thats when you should sell. Sombitch. Everytime. Everytime I buy it then tanks.

It would be greatly appreciated. Wink
cokkapaga
Legendary

Activity: 867
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2015, 03:42:22 PM

what do you think about this coin monero
time to buy or sell? because I see on poloniex change -2.04

buy this coins and hold long time
I think this coin to the moon.

▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
▄▄██████████████████▄▄
▄███████████▀▀███████████▄
▄███████████▀    ▀███████████▄
███████████▀        ▀█    ██████
██████████▀                ███████
█████████▀      ▄██▄        ████████
▄███████▀      ▄█▀  ▀█▄      ▀███████▄
██████▀      ▄█▀      ▀█▄      ▀██████
█████▄     ▄█▀    ▄ ▄   ▀█▄     ▄█████
███████▄ ▄█▀    ██████    ▀█▄ ▄███████
█████████▀       █   ██     ▀█████████
▀████████        █████       ████████▀
████████        █   ██      ████████
███████       ██████       ███████
██████         ▀ ▀        ██████
▀████                    ████▀
▀████████████████████████▀
▀▀██████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀████████▀▀▀

Alt.Estate

█████
█████
█████

█████
█████
█████

█████
█████
█████

█████
█████
█████

█████
█████
█████

█████
█████
█████

█████
█████
█████

█████
█████
█████

█████
█████
█████

█████
█████
█████

█████
█████
█████

█████
█████
█████
  TELEGRAM
MEDIUM
TWITTER
FACEBOOK
onealfa

Activity: 235
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 08:05:18 PM

Ive been to moon already...5 times .   ech....

Whtwabbit

Activity: 490
Merit: 266

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 09:50:29 PM

Can you sell all your coins, Maybe the price will skyrocket 

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 4899

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 10:48:28 PM

I posted that the same thing happens to me. but it got deleted for some reason?

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
Banjiro
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 02:04:27 AM

what do you strategy to trading this coin?
because I want to try to trade this coin.

thanks
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 4899

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 02:27:47 AM

what do you strategy to trading this coin?
because I want to try to trade this coin.

thanks

Buy low sell high, So buy when I sell and sell when I buy. Cheesy

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 10:16:56 AM

I have to slightly disagree with TrueCryptonaire, there are still some whales cost averaging and buying, this has not stopped yet. I think above 0.0010 (psychological level as well, although it broke last time) should certainly hold. Also recall that bullbear is covering XMR and they have a lot of subscribers, this will most likely give an influx of new users as well.

It is the proverbial game of chairs. As long as the music is played, it seems that there are plenty of chairs, and all the chairs are empty. Once it stops, for any reason, you cannot buy any serious quantity for the previous price any more.

This is well observed by checking any price chart of any coin, alt or BTC. The spikes come suddenly, violently, relentlessly, overshoot, and then crash. If the coin is good, the post-crash level is a multiple of the previous level.

XMR has not demonstrated itself pricewise, you have to check the fundamentals when buying. Technically, it's bad, but remember - when the music stops, the opportunity to buy anything but crumbs is gone.  Wink

Depends on how do you define crumbs.
I think there are plenty of Moneros for sale if the price is correct.
Monero might get a serious bull market when the block reward is significiantly lower than the current state.
Let's study Unobtanium - it produces only 15 UNOs per day and it has risen since July 2014 and there is no reason why UNO would stop. There is simply no sellers but buyers only for this coin - and most of the largest wallets have been untouched for hundreds of days (=hundreds of years in crypto).

I think XMR might have similar pattern when the block reward is 0.1 XMR/block or less.
There is no need for tail emission - the price will be rewarding the miners when the blockreward is lower.
equipoise

Activity: 794

Monero (XMR) - secure, private, untraceable

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2015, 12:25:28 PM

^There will be a tail emission (see OP):
A minimum subsidy may be implemented in the future with <1% annual inflation to preserve mining incentives.
I believe the vast majority of holders are supporting the tail emission and it'll be implemented soon enough.

About me | zRMicroArray - phase 2 - Gene Expression Analysis software | [Weed Like to Talk - Bulgaria] Start a wave of cannabis seminars in Europe | Monero weighted average price stats: moneroprice.i2p
BTC: 1KoCX7TWKVGwqmmFw3CKyUSrKRSStueZar | NMC: NKhYEYpe1Le9MwHrwKsdSm5617J4toVar9 | XMR (Tip me a beer OpenAlias Monero address): tip.changetheworldwork.com
[XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency: 4AyRmUcxzefB5quumzK3HNE4zmCiGc8vhG6fE1oJpGVyVZF7fvDgSpt3MzgLfQ6Q1719xQhmfkM9Z2u NXgDMqYhjJVmc6KX
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 01:38:42 PM

A minimum subsidy may be implemented in the future with <1% annual inflation to preserve mining incentives.
I believe the vast majority of holders are supporting the tail emission and it'll be implemented soon enough.

Sounds like Monero will never go to really high prices like UNO might go...  Huh
jwinterm
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1106

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 05:14:25 PM

Sounds like Monero will never go to really high prices like UNO might go...  Huh

Unobtanium is nothing except a clone that had the majority of coins emitted in a month or three (i.e. it probably has an extremely poor distribution). Looking at the rich list here, https://chainz.cryptoid.info/uno/#!rich , that seems to be true with > 80% of coins held in 100 addresses.  It hasn't had any significant updates in more than six months, meaning it isn't even keeping up with progress implemented in bitcoin core. I know people have been shilling all over this forum for UNO, but I imagine those people are mostly early adopters looking to build buy support to dump into. I don't think UNO is surpassing XMR in marketcap, but if you think so, better go all into UNO before it gets "more rare". Also, Bryce Weiner, ick.
nakaone

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 05:24:29 PM

Sounds like Monero will never go to really high prices like UNO might go...  Huh

Unobtanium is nothing except a clone that had the majority of coins emitted in a month or three (i.e. it probably has an extremely poor distribution). Looking at the rich list here, https://chainz.cryptoid.info/uno/#!rich , that seems to be true with > 80% of coins held in 100 addresses.  It hasn't had any significant updates in more than six months, meaning it isn't even keeping up with progress implemented in bitcoin core. I know people have been shilling all over this forum for UNO, but I imagine those people are mostly early adopters looking to build buy support to dump into. I don't think UNO is surpassing XMR in marketcap, but if you think so, better go all into UNO before it gets "more rare". Also, Bryce Weiner, ick.

additionally price will mostly be a function of demand, especially in the future.

at this point of time inflation plays a role but we are probably even know close to a point where demand exceeds supply at current prices.

anyway if people cannot see the potential of xmr it is probably their failure. the succeess will mostly be in the hands of 10-15 people who will probably see the potential of this technology. they will be responsible for the determining how much demand will be in the future.
Akbarkoe
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 05:27:50 PM

I like this coin
time to buy again
go to the moon monero.
Hammernecht

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 06:34:44 PM
Last edit: February 08, 2015, 07:56:02 PM by Hammernecht

I like this coin
time to buy again
go to the moon monero.

Many people like this coin.

Many people that like this coin hate some of the people that like this coin.

Aside from the currently high emission, I'm pretty sure the only reason people who like this coin, and people who want to like this coin continue to remain bearish is because they like to see certain people who liked this coin before them go almost bankrupt even more.

Actually, I'm convinced that more than half of the struggling that has gone on socially in this coin is because people hate people like rpietila.

Just speculation, not trying to personally bash the guy.

So, regardless of my personal feelings about this coin and the few people who are clearly being targeted, I'm going to hold off buying this coin until until either they're bankrupt, or divorce/divest themselves completely from this project.

I guess a risk assessment would be in order, so I'd have to research how much people like rpietila are willing to invest in this coin, whether or not that amount would put them in financial dire straits if the value of this coin were to continue to decline, and the actual amount of money I'd lose out on by either keeping the value of this coin low, or the amount of money i'd lose out on by not being financially engaged with this coin, and also the amount of value that each person like rpietila would not control in BTC due to financial involvement in XMR.

So if someone in control of 20k BTC were to invest as much as 10% as 2k BTC in XMR and lose about 75% of that value, is that valuable to me, after this player has basically relinquished 1500 BTC of control?

I guess I would have to figure out how much money these types of people were willing to short on btc, because likely after months of being bled out I could only assume that they'd get much much quieter and potentially seek to divest completely, following a potential innovative streak.

Didn't one of them already put up a big BTC wall at a low price? I can't remember what that was, .0014 or something?

W/e my proposition for a new uptrend: get the current vocally offensive megawhales to divest, expect the price to drop a ways below .001 as they recoup their losses.

Likely the response to this is: not gonna happen.

Well then, expect to be usurped by some other cryptonote coin.

Also, then there's also the massive size of the transactions. Is there any possible way to get the same security with smaller sized transactions?

It's painful to see a 20kb transaction, as one single transaction, go out to thousands of people. The size of these transactions far surpass moore's law by at least an order of magnitude. So, is it possible to get reasonably sized, high mixin, transactions for 2kb? I'm talking a mixin of no less than ten with an average of 2-3 inputs?

I mean, look at this standard transaction using the new daemon with fee scaling: https://minergate.com/blockchain/mro/transaction/653f746ee2eda1d78557f261892b0d4871748a1143501f699c89f8bc45e5180d

Thats 5 inputs, one mixin making a whopping 2.561kb transaction.

Or this one: https://minergate.com/blockchain/mro/transaction/2a51c7438c41f7eb0ee35d299e6f4cdce3479ed1fee649a296d1bab6388703fc

With 19 inupts, one mixin making a staggering 3.95kb transaction.

The 5 - 19 inputs is a pretty good baseline for establishing an average range of inputs, yet the choice of using a single mixin gives someone a greatly increased ability to make your transaction identifiable. It's just not really strong as far as anonymity goes. So really, you're getting between 2kb and 4kb transactions just for using cryptonote as a standard transaction processing system. I mean with one mixin, your transaction is indistinguishable from only one other transaction. This hardly seems like enough, because in reality, it's not enough.

Now let's take a look at some transactions with average input ranges, and look for higher mixing.

Here's a good one, it uses the old flat-fee structure, but afaik that doesn't affect the sizing at all: http://chainradar.com/xmr/transaction/7e10418c95f426428f5146adea272324bdee5bc7d5dd461b482ff16e158b1472

It's 12 inputs, with a mixin of 28, but a size of 22.783 kb.

The tough part here, is that for cryptonote to work as intended, we're outpacing moore's law by at least two entire powers of ten. For cryptonote to even work at all, with minimal anonymity, we're outpacing it by a single power of ten.

Now, let me get to why I'm setting moore's law around a transaction size of 200-400 bytes.

Let's say we're looking to handle the amount of transactions daily that bitcoin handles: https://blockchain.info/charts/n-transactions

I'm going to use 85k transactions per day. That's literally about 1 transactions per second.

Biggest bitcoin transaction I could find: https://blockchain.info/tx/ae6f07f187c3d4fe3c2cdb75a325b6881a524d2e7f7ec3657d26d6a0ef37c6da

as 4.882 kb

But the average bitcoin transaction is here: https://blockchain.info/tx/f18119e64bd3d8d6dfc607608e267ad83199a840237ed80db58ebbcaeddb883d

as 260 bytes

other average bitcoin transaction sizes are usually under 600 bytes.

We can safely say that the p2p network and people's hard drives can definitely handle bitcoin in its current state.

With the large amount of people rejecting of the now 20mb block size hard fork, it's seeming like this is the correct 'size' of a cryptocurrency transaction from the standpoint of moore's law in 2014. Not going into it any further.

So, as we fall further and further away from following moore's law IRL, while also currently being 4 years out from even being able to being encompassed safely by it, I'm asking seriously, does anyone see this scaling to anywhere past a few tens of thousands of people?

I don't. Not now, and not without some serious changes to transaction sizes.

edit: I'm not trying to say that this is doomed or a fruitless effort, sorry if it came off like that. I say a few tens of thousands of people because of the moore's law scaling. If bitcoin has about 1,000,000 users, we can expect 10,000 monero users. I say this because we need to assess the market for potential candidates for monero adoption. "the world" seems a bit too large, so a more manageable size of "a few tens of thousands" might be better to start with -- let alone the mindset that comes along with that. I do not think there are currently 1,000,000 bitcoin users, because typically I'd expect to use my money about once per day if I were a currency user. So at 1 tx/second, we'd see about 86k actual bitcoin users. This would correlate to between 860-8600 monero users. If bitcoin scaled to even 100 tx/sec then that would be about 8,600,000 users, so 86,000-860,000 monero users. And if bitcoin made it to 1000 tx/sec then we'd use the same math. Seems not so far off from how many people use visa: http://www.howmanyarethere.net/how-many-people-are-using-visa-credit-cards-in-the-world/

There are 315 Million Visa Credit Card Users, 215 million Master Card Users and 60 million American Express users are there in the whole world.

Visa claims the ability to handle, http://usa.visa.com/merchants/industry-solutions/retail-visa-acceptance.jsp:
Quote from:
24,000 transactions per second
so they get about 13125 people for every transaction per second they handle.

Or here is a claim for 10k tps: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2013/11/12/bitcoin-needs-to-scale-by-a-factor-of-1000-to-compete-with-visa-heres-how-to-do-it/

which would yield 31500

Or the bitcoin wiki which claims some unicorn number or 2000 tx/sec, which would yield 157,500 people per every transaction per second.

I feel my number of one person per every second of the day for every transaction per second, as about 86,000 users per transaction per second is pretty reasonable given the three above sources. Users may be different from 'people' I guess.

2nd edit:

I'd also suggest researching anger and rage triggers related to naming and branding conventions. Unconsciously, both the naming an branding used in this coin are absolutely abysmal. The color choices would normally inspire hope, but given the naming convention does the exact opposite. I would suggest a name change to something else, as the word "Monero" clearly is not having the intended subconscious effect.
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 07:49:49 PM

Sounds like Monero will never go to really high prices like UNO might go...  Huh

Unobtanium is nothing except a clone that had the majority of coins emitted in a month or three (i.e. it probably has an extremely poor distribution). Looking at the rich list here, https://chainz.cryptoid.info/uno/#!rich , that seems to be true with > 80% of coins held in 100 addresses.  It hasn't had any significant updates in more than six months, meaning it isn't even keeping up with progress implemented in bitcoin core. I know people have been shilling all over this forum for UNO, but I imagine those people are mostly early adopters looking to build buy support to dump into. I don't think UNO is surpassing XMR in marketcap, but if you think so, better go all into UNO before it gets "more rare". Also, Bryce Weiner, ick.

I agree that UNO is a clone etc.
The goal of UNO is not to be #1 in tech but # 1 in increasing the price and marketcap of the coin. While all the coins - including bitcoin - is tanking severely this coin has risen 7 months a row. The bull trend of the coin is something I am unable to ignore.
After all, I am an investor more than tech enthusiastist.
I thought in autumn 2014 that UNO is only a short term pump but behold - it is still growing.
And if there is a dump, it cannot be that severe since there are not that many coins available for dumpsters to dump.
There are more than 10 000 wallets in UNO so it is safe to assume the size of the community is probably 1000 members.

I say this once again: The bull trend has been in force months - not days or weeks. Something is fundamentally right there. I wish we as XMR community learn our lesson, too from the winners, not from the losers.

But yup - low inflation coin is something that is definetely the only way a coin can get a significiant value. Otherwise the inflation will kill the coin. Very basic economics and can be seen very clearly among the alt coins, too.
Pages: « 1 ... 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 [120] 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: