Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 03:23:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1236 1237 1238 1239 1240 1241 1242 1243 1244 1245 1246 1247 1248 1249 1250 1251 1252 1253 1254 1255 1256 1257 1258 1259 1260 1261 1262 1263 1264 1265 1266 1267 1268 1269 1270 1271 1272 1273 1274 1275 1276 1277 1278 1279 1280 1281 1282 1283 1284 1285 [1286] 1287 1288 1289 1290 1291 1292 1293 1294 1295 1296 1297 1298 1299 1300 1301 1302 1303 1304 1305 1306 1307 1308 1309 1310 1311 1312 1313 1314 1315 1316 1317 1318 1319 1320 1321 1322 1323 1324 1325 1326 1327 1328 1329 1330 1331 1332 1333 1334 1335 1336 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312390 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 4898

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
December 17, 2016, 05:17:48 PM

LOL oh man that is one weird-ass gif!!!

And, "HoneyPony" LOL LOL --- I think you just invented the next Major Monero Meme there Cheesy

Because:

1. XMR is not a BTC clone like most other shitcoins
2. Refer to number 1. Grin

2. Refer to number 1. Grin
3. Profit...!!!

FTFY Cheesy

MAN, I'm never gonna get to profit if this is true. Smiley

2. If Profit > Pry from my cold dead hands level goto 4.
3. Refer to number 1. Grin
4. Profit...!!!

Fixed that for me. Tongue

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
KeyJockey

Activity: 608
Merit: 509

View Profile
December 17, 2016, 06:38:44 PM
Last edit: December 17, 2016, 07:07:53 PM by KeyJockey

Assuming some type of UNIX system:

$ echo -n 01234567890abcdef11111 | base64
MDEyMzQ1Njc4OTBhYmNkZWYxMTExMQ==
$ echo MDEyMzQ1Njc4OTBhYmNkZWYxMTExMQ== | base64 -d
01234567890abcdef11111

By the way, I tried this on my Macbook (presuming OS X is reasonably Unix-ish?)

It sort-of, kinda worked, the first line at least: but I got something different for the second pass... see screencap here:

So, any idea what's up with that?  

I'm clearly not too "up" on unix command-line stuff here (but I do know my way around good ol' basic DOS on Windows, not "afraid" of CLI just don't have much experience yet, LOL)

P.S. {Edit} For what it's worth... using the http://kjur.github.io/jsjws/tool_b64udec.html website again did correctly return "01234567890abcdef11111" from input MDEyMzQ1Njc4OTBhYmNkZWYxMTExMQ== as Base64 to UTF-8... SO I suppose the lesson here is to always try more than one method to get what you need if results don't jibe first time thru. 

May be a little panic in case of trying to decode a cryptic string from one of smoothie's coins, on a very valuable Monero address, in the future -- but hopefully having all these "instructions" posted here on the forum and archived for future posterity will help someone out... LOL

- 1KeyJKVWVxdavKTetDJpQWdUaota5jbtX6 -
kurious
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 1643

View Profile
December 17, 2016, 07:05:49 PM

LOL oh man that is one weird-ass gif!!!

And, "HoneyPony" LOL LOL --- I think you just invented the next Major Monero Meme there Cheesy

Just clicked it - as I too love the 'Honeypony' nick - and I agree that gif is awesome.

Got my money on Honeypony...  Wink

我想要火箭和火车
MoneroMooo
Legendary

Activity: 1276
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 17, 2016, 07:07:59 PM

It sort-of, kinda worked, the first line at least: but I got something different for the second pass... see screencap here:

Looks like your base64 command does not have a -d option for decoding, or ignores it, or it's got a different function, which is not apparent here.

Try: man base64
Or: base64 --help

Then work out what's the way to decode with this particular program.
kurious
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 1643

View Profile
December 17, 2016, 07:10:52 PM

Speculation then:

Seems BTC is having it's long-awaited French Weekend - might even bust over the 800 mark (although volume is not really earth shattering, so maybe it's just 'another ten bucks up').

Good old Honeypony doesn't seem to give a shit - but if BTC does break 800... Can we keep it up, gentlemen (and ladies, come to that)?

我想要火箭和火车
elrippo
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 17, 2016, 08:19:53 PM

Still remarkable is the fact, XMR holding around 0,01xx with the upcomming BTC rally  Shocked Grin

For Advertisement. PM me to discuss.
bitwolf

Activity: 186
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 17, 2016, 08:46:28 PM

Guys, what is this huge increase in the hash rate? One week ago 27Mhs, now 41. Price gonna burst soon. Everybody leaves the scams zcash and eth and boards our train.  I am expecting a burst to 20$ about XMRmas.
BldSwtTrs
Legendary

Activity: 861
Merit: 1010

View Profile
December 17, 2016, 08:47:00 PM

So what do you think guys about TumbleBit? It could make bitcoin payments anonymous.

https://eprint.iacr.org/2016/575.pdf
sui_generis

Activity: 243
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 17, 2016, 08:59:12 PM

So what do you think guys about TumbleBit? It could make bitcoin payments anonymous.

Bitcoin will never be able to confer the same level of privacy as Monero, simply because Bitcoin will only have optional privacy, while Monero has privacy by default for all transactions. The presence of transparent transactions degrades the privacy of those using tumblers, sidechains, or whatever else Bitcoiners cobble together. As far as the technical details of Tumblebit, I'd be interested in getting the opinion of someone like Arcticmine or Smooth.
bitebits
Legendary

Activity: 2211
Merit: 3178

Flippin' burgers since 1163.

View Profile
December 17, 2016, 10:07:54 PM

TumbleBit: a trustless, instant, free, anonymous, scaleable payment system. On top of Bitcoin.

Almost too good to be true, and unfortunately something I can not judge (smooth?). But in general it is a very good thing that people are actively working getting Bitcoin more fungible. I still consider this it's Achilles heel more than it's current scaling challenges.

- You can figure out what will happen, not when /Warren Buffett
- Pay any Bitcoin address privately with a little help of Monero.
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
December 17, 2016, 10:16:17 PM

There are presently limits to Bitcoin's TSP, but there is no limit to how valuable those 2-7 tx are.  Hence Bitcoin's destiny to become high powered super money used for settlement between institutions which issue their own tokens backed by BTC.

This assessment of Bitcoin destiny as "high powered super money used for settlement between institutions which issue their own tokens backed by BTC" could in fact be very accurate. What Bitcoin is not becoming is a platform for individuals to make transactions among them selves without the need for a "trusted"  third party. This reality is fundamentally different from the original purpose of Bitcoin as presented by Satoshi Nakamoto. https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
1. Introduction

Commerce on the Internet has come to rely almost exclusively on financial institutions serving as trusted third parties to process electronic payments. While the system works well enough for most transactions, it still suffers from the inherent   weaknesses of the trust based model. Completely non-reversible transactions are not really possible, since financial institutions cannot avoid mediating disputes. The cost of mediation increases transaction costs, limiting the minimum practical transaction size and cutting off the possibility for small casual transactions, and there is a broader cost in   the loss of ability to make non-reversible payments for non-reversible services. With the possibility of reversal, the need for trust spreads. Merchants must be wary of their customers, hassling them for more information than they would otherwise need. A certain percentage of fraud is accepted as unavoidable. These costs and payment uncertainties can be avoided in person by using physical currency, but no mechanism exists to make payments over a communications channel without a trusted party.

What is needed is an electronic payment system based on cryptographic proof instead of trust, allowing any two willing parties to transact directly with each other without the need for a trusted third party. Transactions that are computationally impractical to reverse would protect sellers from fraud, and routine escrow mechanisms could easily be implemented to protect buyers. In this paper, we propose a solution ...
What is becoming clear is that Bitcoin is not the solution here and that another crypto currency at least has a chance of becoming the solution.  Wink

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
December 17, 2016, 11:58:56 PM

This is a mandatory upgrade that is required for the hard fork that is scheduled for January 05, 2017 and also for the GUI. Thanks.

If you don't upgrade you will no longer be on the network come the hard fork @ block 1220516 around Jan 10
KeyJockey

View Profile
December 18, 2016, 12:06:55 AM

what is this huge increase in the hash rate? One week ago 27Mhs, now 41.

Price gonna burst soon. Everybody leaves the scams zcash and eth and boards our train.  I am expecting a burst to 20$ about XMRmas.

Okay, guys srsly is hashrate *always* been indicative of price rally increase?  IS this "no-brainer" time to "back up the truck" OR something else going on?

Srsly anyone/everyone with more data to chime in here... now's the time to help a brother out LOL

Let's hear it.... this IS "speculation" forum after all... interesting weekend shaping up IAC...

CoinCidental
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

Si vis pacem, para bellum

View Profile
December 18, 2016, 12:15:14 AM

There are presently limits to Bitcoin's TSP, but there is no limit to how valuable those 2-7 tx are.  Hence Bitcoin's destiny to become high powered super money used for settlement between institutions which issue their own tokens backed by BTC.

This assessment of Bitcoin destiny as "high powered super money used for settlement between institutions which issue their own tokens backed by BTC" could in fact be very accurate. What Bitcoin is not becoming is a platform for individuals to make transactions among them selves without the need for a "trusted"  third party. This reality is fundamentally different from the original purpose of Bitcoin as presented by Satoshi Nakamoto. https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
1. Introduction

Commerce on the Internet has come to rely almost exclusively on financial institutions serving as trusted third parties to process electronic payments. While the system works well enough for most transactions, it still suffers from the inherent   weaknesses of the trust based model. Completely non-reversible transactions are not really possible, since financial institutions cannot avoid mediating disputes. The cost of mediation increases transaction costs, limiting the minimum practical transaction size and cutting off the possibility for small casual transactions, and there is a broader cost in   the loss of ability to make non-reversible payments for non-reversible services. With the possibility of reversal, the need for trust spreads. Merchants must be wary of their customers, hassling them for more information than they would otherwise need. A certain percentage of fraud is accepted as unavoidable. These costs and payment uncertainties can be avoided in person by using physical currency, but no mechanism exists to make payments over a communications channel without a trusted party.

What is needed is an electronic payment system based on cryptographic proof instead of trust, allowing any two willing parties to transact directly with each other without the need for a trusted third party. Transactions that are computationally impractical to reverse would protect sellers from fraud, and routine escrow mechanisms could easily be implemented to protect buyers. In this paper, we propose a solution ...
What is becoming clear is that Bitcoin is not the solution here and that another crypto currency at least has a chance of becoming the solution.  Wink

Honeybadger will still be the King but Honeypony has its own skillset and is probably  going to swallow zcash and then ltc and sit in the third spot.....
If I had to bet I would say Honeypony will be the third ever crypto to reach a $1 B marketcap....By 2018
KeyJockey

View Profile
December 18, 2016, 12:16:32 AM

Also... correct me if I'm wrong but can't any 2nd layer anon solution like TumbleBit etc "on top" of bitcoin ALSO work just as well as a 2nd-layer solution ON TOP of MONERO... thus providing even MORE anonymiity overall, as a total solution.

Seem again to me like a no-brainer "XMR wins" situation here, unless I'm missing something important...?

KeyJockey

View Profile
December 18, 2016, 12:21:09 AM

LOL "HoneyPony" meme seems to be really starting to get traction here... hopefully will spread further in the coming weeks, months, etc.

too funny... happy to have been part of getting it launched & spread from here on out LOL... HoneyPony LOL tell your friends.

Who's gonna be the first to put out a t-shirt? LOL

P.S. {Edit} Image :

sui_generis

Activity: 243

View Profile
December 18, 2016, 01:57:43 AM

Also... correct me if I'm wrong but can't any 2nd layer anon solution like TumbleBit etc "on top" of bitcoin ALSO work just as well as a 2nd-layer solution ON TOP of MONERO... thus providing even MORE anonymiity overall, as a total solution.

Seem again to me like a no-brainer "XMR wins" situation here, unless I'm missing something important...?

In one of his recent interviews, Fluffypony mentioned adding Tumblebit to Monero, so I think you're right.

edit: Here's the Reddit thread with a link to the interview. There's also some Tumblebit discussion in that thread.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/5fi4mo/interview_with_fluffypony/
KeyJockey

View Profile
December 18, 2016, 03:40:35 AM

In one of his recent interviews, Fluffypony mentioned adding Tumblebit to Monero, so I think you're right.

edit: Here's the Reddit thread with a link to the interview. There's also some Tumblebit discussion in that thread.

Hmm... question for all y'all here who know more about this stuff...

IF these kind of 2nd-layer systems *ever* actually see the light of day, IF they are implemented on top of both Bitcoin and Monero for example... would end-users even really need to know the difference?

Do we -- as simple "wallet users" -- even need to care?

OR would "sending a payment" in either case just be sort of transparent and ultimately "settle" some way, on the underlying "real blockchain" (BTC or XMR or really "whatever") without the "payer" to "payee" really knowing or CARING one way or the other...??

IF it can somehow be made to appear just simple & clean like this, to the actual end-user... then how can anyone see anything other than a huge potential future upside to ALL this technology here?

Yeah of course there's gonna be bumps in the road to actually "getting there" but isn't this really what we are all expecting to see ultimately evolve in this space?

Or am I missing something "big" in this 'big picture" point of view here?

CryptoSporidium

Activity: 405

View Profile
December 18, 2016, 03:51:25 AM

Can I move coins from a paperwallet without having to download the whole blockchain?
CoinCidental
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

Si vis pacem, para bellum

View Profile
December 18, 2016, 03:52:18 AM

Hmm... question for all y'all here who know more about this stuff...

IF these kind of 2nd-layer systems *ever* actually see the light of day, IF they are implemented on top of both Bitcoin and Monero for example... would end-users even really need to know the difference?

Do we -- as simple "wallet users" -- even need to care?

OR would "sending a payment" in either case just be sort of transparent and ultimately "settle" some way, on the underlying "real blockchain" (BTC or XMR or really "whatever") without the "payer" to "payee" really knowing or CARING one way or the other...??

IF it can somehow be made to appear just simple & clean like this, to the actual end-user... then how can anyone see anything other than a huge potential future upside to ALL this technology here?

Yeah of course there's gonna be bumps in the road to actually "getting there" but isn't this really what we are all expecting to see ultimately evolve in this space?

Or am I missing something "big" in this 'big picture" point of view here?

the blockstream core implementation is facing strong opposition because they intend to cripple the main chain at 1MB
and have everyone transact on their L2 solution for profit
making the blocks progressively larger over time or dynamic scaling would be a better and cleaner solution imo

in monero it would likely be a cleaner implemenation because there is no crippled 1mb block
Pages: « 1 ... 1236 1237 1238 1239 1240 1241 1242 1243 1244 1245 1246 1247 1248 1249 1250 1251 1252 1253 1254 1255 1256 1257 1258 1259 1260 1261 1262 1263 1264 1265 1266 1267 1268 1269 1270 1271 1272 1273 1274 1275 1276 1277 1278 1279 1280 1281 1282 1283 1284 1285 [1286] 1287 1288 1289 1290 1291 1292 1293 1294 1295 1296 1297 1298 1299 1300 1301 1302 1303 1304 1305 1306 1307 1308 1309 1310 1311 1312 1313 1314 1315 1316 1317 1318 1319 1320 1321 1322 1323 1324 1325 1326 1327 1328 1329 1330 1331 1332 1333 1334 1335 1336 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: