Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 01:46:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1646 1647 1648 1649 1650 1651 1652 1653 1654 1655 1656 1657 1658 1659 1660 1661 1662 1663 1664 1665 1666 1667 1668 1669 1670 1671 1672 1673 1674 1675 1676 1677 1678 1679 1680 1681 1682 1683 1684 1685 1686 1687 1688 1689 1690 1691 1692 1693 1694 1695 [1696] 1697 1698 1699 1700 1701 1702 1703 1704 1705 1706 1707 1708 1709 1710 1711 1712 1713 1714 1715 1716 1717 1718 1719 1720 1721 1722 1723 1724 1725 1726 1727 1728 1729 1730 1731 1732 1733 1734 1735 1736 1737 1738 1739 1740 1741 1742 1743 1744 1745 1746 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312381 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
Millionero

Activity: 807
Merit: 423

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 04:49:09 PM

Bulletproofs: Efficient Range Proofs for Confidential Transactions

http://web.stanford.edu/~buenz/pubs/bulletproofs.pdf

Bulletproofs could at least halve the size of Monero transaction.

I know this is just a research and even if is by any chance 100% correct will not be added to Monero for at least a year. But what is important is that it exist, and I am sure there will be tens or hundred similar in the future. And each of them will reduce transaction size and with that reduce Monero blockchain growth. Monero blockchain growth is one of biggest worries people have when think what would today happen if Monero would have same amount of transactions as Bitcoin does.

I found Section 4.6 interesting

Bulletproofs, like the range proofs currently used in confidential transactions,
are computationally binding. An adversary that could break the discrete logarithm
assumption could generate acceptable range proofs for a value outside the
correct range. On the other hand, the commitments are perfectly hiding and
Bulletproofs are perfect zero-knowledge, so that even an all powerful adversary
cannot learn which value was committed to. Commitment schemes which are
simultaneously perfectly-binding and perfectly-hiding commitments are impossible,
so when designing commitment schemes and proof systems, we need to
decide which properties are more important. For cryptocurrencies, the binding
property is more important than the hiding property [RM]. An adversary that
can break the binding property of the commitment scheme or the soundness of
the proof system can generate coins out of thin air and thus create uncontrolled
but undetectable inflation rendering the currency useless. Giving up the privacy
of a transaction is much less harmful as the sender of the transaction or
the owner of an account is harmed at worst. Unfortunately, it seems difficult
to create Bulletproofs from binding commitments
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
walonek

Activity: 149
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 05:17:27 PM

You priests still there beliving and making choices after your feelings? How do you fell walking at the total USD edge? You love the USD price and it is on the edge for 1,5 month now reaching the trendline edge. 60 USD is near. The same is with BTC price. 0.01 this week. I am for 65% sure 0.01 will not hodl and 0.006 will be seen before btc fork. Then i bet bad things happen to BTC and the price will surge a lotdown. This will bring all alts down a lot more than you think. But be there... belive. You are good food form my shorting strategy.

Did I mention that masses does not price privacy? Did i mention that masses price SECURITY? Masses sell their privacy for security and that is the answer I discovered when I was wondering why this noMore is sitting at its value in BTC. Answer is that noMore is not technologicaly advanced comparing to other major alts and privacy it is marketing is total bullshit to masses... Masses does not want privacy they want fast and secure value transfers. noMore is not focused at it. That is why it is shit. Privacy is not priced... Ask your neighbour - "if you have nothing to hide, why to hide?" - regular answer.
walonek

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 08:41:22 PM

@doc12 Shorting ShortMeMore = noMore = this crap coin. I love to make money of failed projects like this pump&dump.
doc12
Legendary

Activity: 1284
Merit: 1042

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 08:46:10 PM
Last edit: November 05, 2017, 08:58:37 PM by doc12

@doc12 Shorting ShortMeMore = noMore = this crap coin. I love to make money of failed projects like this pump&dump.

Good Luck. Late performance may be bad, but xmr is still one of the Top5 projects in crypto. Not just some copy n paste Shit with fancy features. Nothing failed here, private untracable transaction working like a charm.

And privacy matters, of course not for the average Joe, but for people with large amounts of money. Nothing new you are babbling here.
cynical

Activity: 490
Merit: 136

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 09:09:30 PM

I have been watching the charts on bittrex over the last 4 or 5 weeks and two coins that stand out in their lower rankings of the top 10 are litecoin and MONERO.
neither of these coins are what i would call pump&dump, if anything they are too stable for people who want to trade them and make a profit.

████          O W N R   W A L L E T          ████   VISA PREPAID CARD    ████  Use crypto to pay in stores with OWNR  ████
❱❱❱❱ ❱❱❱ ❱❱ ❱     Buy, send, receive and exchange crypto        VISA   mastercard   SPA   UnionPay     ❰ ❰❰ ❰❰❰ ❰❰❰❰
BLOG       TWITTER     ██ █▌█ ▌     Manage crypto and VISA card in OWNR Wallet app    ▐ █▐█ ██     REDDIT   YOUTUBE
starmman
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1029

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 09:38:27 PM

I have been watching the charts on bittrex over the last 4 or 5 weeks and two coins that stand out in their lower rankings of the top 10 are litecoin and MONERO.
neither of these coins are what i would call pump&dump, if anything they are too stable for people who want to trade them and make a profit.

If the trend with segwit2x will be anything like the BCC fork, then there will likely be a massive surge in price in 10-12 days. Will be interesting to see if it happens again.
trobin

Activity: 177
Merit: 102

🤖UBEX.COM 🤖

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 09:50:02 PM

If the trend with segwit2x will be anything like the BCC fork, then there will likely be a massive surge in price in 10-12 days. Will be interesting to see if it happens again.

Any coin that can remain stable in the current environment is doing so for a reason and that reason is because Monero is here for the long term, I expect the trend will be followed and the price will rise nicely in the next month

walonek

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 09:50:13 PM
Last edit: November 05, 2017, 10:01:11 PM by walonek

You watched what? You know that you can short against BTC right? Stable crap which lost ~60% of value in last 6 weeks Cheesy LOL. Meanwhile BTC is starting to falldown after the bubling. Now i expect comments at this crap like: "OMFG NoMore is the king! We have green dick at chart" etc. Just wait. If someone does not know the green dick range is 0.014 atm. Break of this can mean more green dicks.

No i will not long this crap. I will long other more promising project which should perform a lot better than this ShortMeMore at next alt surge. After the bubbling of alts i will short again XMR. It performs the best when shorting against BTC. NoMore is eXMRly predictable at shorting Smiley.
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 01:52:57 AM

https://themerkle.com/moneros-multisignature-implementation-officially-enters-testing-phase/

JP Buntinx says:  The future’s looking bright for all XMR supporters, ...
Nathan047

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 02:16:09 AM

Did I mention that masses does not price privacy? Did i mention that masses price SECURITY?
First of all, many people do value privacy. Second, why not have both (like in the case of Monero).

--
Privacy is not priced... Ask your neighbour - "if you have nothing to hide, why to hide?" - regular answer.
The Germans kept records of people’s ethnicity and religion. Guess how Hitler used it (in case you’re a bad guesser: he used it to track down Jews).

I'm starting a technology blog T4CH.top, check it out!
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 05:47:25 AM

And why did you answer the question I asked aminorex?

I do that all the time. Is it taboo? Huh Lips sealed

I don't think so, we are a community of friends who all help out. Nothing wrong with that.

Thanks guys, I was indeed just answering in an effort to help.  I hope we will all continue to do so - many people on here have helped me out before and I really appreciated it.

What goes around...

Who flagged my post and got it deleted? And why? Anyone else having perfectly innocuous posts deleted by mods? Very strange.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 06:16:56 AM

I don't think so, we are a community of friends who all help out. Nothing wrong with that.

Thanks guys, I was indeed just answering in an effort to help.  I hope we will all continue to do so - many people on here have helped me out before and I really appreciated it.

What goes around...

Who flagged my post and got it deleted? And why? Anyone else having perfectly innocuous posts deleted by mods? Very strange.
I had this happen too.  Mine was a post expressing approval to Fluffypony for his beat down on the trolls.

This *unreasonable* censorship is one reason why I am moving away from bitcointalk to reddit (plus it is fun that no one knows who I am there Wink ).  I do not believe my post violated any rules.  I doubt yours did either.
starmman
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1029

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 06:58:59 AM

Thanks guys, I was indeed just answering in an effort to help.  I hope we will all continue to do so - many people on here have helped me out before and I really appreciated it.

What goes around...

I had this happen too.  Mine was a post expressing approval to Fluffypony for his beat down on the trolls.

This *unreasonable* censorship is one reason why I am moving away from bitcointalk to reddit (plus it is fun that no one knows who I am there Wink ).  I do not believe my post violated any rules.  I doubt yours did either.

I think that entire thread chain was deleted - I got a similar message too =)
walonek

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 07:49:58 AM

Did I mention that masses does not price privacy? Did i mention that masses price SECURITY?
First of all, many people do value privacy. Second, why not have both (like in the case of Monero).

--
Privacy is not priced... Ask your neighbour - "if you have nothing to hide, why to hide?" - regular answer.
The Germans kept records of people’s ethnicity and religion. Guess how Hitler used it (in case you’re a bad guesser: he used it to track down Jews).

Argumentum ad hitlerum. Lol. It is going to be bullshit. Maybe my English is not good but you know i mentioned masses not many people. Secondly ppl have short memory?
It means realy that price will go down the drain like nsdap.
kurious
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 1643

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 07:51:45 AM

Thanks guys, I was indeed just answering in an effort to help.  I hope we will all continue to do so - many people on here have helped me out before and I really appreciated it.

What goes around...

Same here (and the same thread).

Am scratching my head too, seems pretty innocuous stuff.

我想要火箭和火车
smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 08:56:36 AM

The discussion of forum mods is off topic. If you have objections to their work, take it to Meta please (where they are also more likely to see it)
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2017, 09:32:44 AM

Personally, I think s2x will be the longest chain, because BTC hash rate will be inadequate to keep up.

BTC hash rate responds to economics.  Within the incentive structure designed by Satoshi, as tx fees pile up and compete "inadequate" hash rate is a self-correcting problem.

Users will use the chain with lower fees, where you can actually get a confirm before your beard turns white.  Core will suffer a massive difficulty bomb, and if 80% of the hash is on s2x, it will take 4x longer to get a confirm.  Also, there will be more xns in an s2x block, so miners are incentivized by the total fees, even when fees are only ~50% of the fees on core.

I don't really care which one wins, but I am taking a flyer on s2x for these reasons.  Not in 250 BTC size, however.  I am just buying the b2x futures.  There I can also daytrade a bit to lower my cost basis, which I cannot do with Back's contract.

If (Frappuchino swilling retail) users only cared about lower fees and faster confirms, they would by now surely be using Digibyte or Dash. Cheesy

Yet, there is something (cough, immutable uncensorable decentralized store of value, cough) that keeps them using Bitcoin despite it being slow and expensive.

You still aren't understanding how Satoshi's exquisitely balanced incentive structure restricts your scenario to a self-limiting, auto-correcting situation.

I think what you're missing is that currently the main use of Bitcoin for most "Users" is HODLING.  The Xapo/Bitpay payment rail stuff is just a noisy minority LARPing as 'disruptive' fintech, not a plurality.

Let's try again, in BASIC pseudocode. Smiley

10 "Massive" hash rate leaves Bitcoin for Bcash/Bcash2X/LatestControversialFork
20 Users fear "massive difficulty bomb"
30 Users rush to dump Bitcoin for Ethereum or whatever shiny scheisstoken is being hyped by a celebrity/DCG affiliate
40 Fees accumulate in proportion to the number of panic-dumping users moving coins onto exchanges, increasing incentives to mine Bitcoin blocks
50 (Replacy-by-)Fees compete and spiral upward as Users panic buy Bitcoin blockchain space/priority in their stampede for the exits, again increasing incentive to mine Bitcoin blocks
60 A Bitcoin block is mined, relieving concern (trolling) that Honey Badger has been killed by (muuuuuh) massive difficulty bomb
70 Price of Bitcoin rises as panic selling finds a bottom and bounces off support, yet again increasing incentive to mine Bitcoin blocks
80 In Two Weeks(tm) Bitcoin difficulty adjusts accordingly and Hodlers (IE the real socioeconomic majority) come back from vacation wondering what all the fuss was about
90 GOTO 10

If I thought there was a good chance of B2X killing Core, I'd dump all my Bitcoin since that would be the resolution of the (initial) Bitcoin experiment and it would no longer have a reason to exist.

Why do you find Bitcoin interesting enough to own if you believe it may easily be subverted by a consortium of (ratfucking) VCs and banksters? Tongue

Regardless, the real black swan in the living room is the possibility of a PoW change.

If the unthinkable happens and 2X wins, it doesn’t mean Bitcoin has been “changed”, it means Bitcoin has been temporarily destroyed, and we need to get to work to collectively recreate it. We won’t surrender and we won’t compromise. A new hard fork will be released with a new PoW algorithm and we’ll carry on as normal.

Those that urge we accept the verdict of the market are missing the entire point of Bitcoin. Bitcoin is about individual financial sovereignty; we don’t let any external entity such as the market, miners, central bank or government define for us what is and isn’t a Bitcoin. If we don’t like the 2X abomination, we can reject it and route around it. We aren’t forced to surrender.

The market and exchanges should be prepared to support three different forks of Bitcoin this November. The original chain, the 2X chain, and the new Bitcoin chain with a better PoW. As soon as the new PoW hard fork binaries are released on Bitcoin.org, I intend to fully commit to supporting that chain and calling it “Bitcoin”, even if hash rate returns to the original chain at a later date.

You don't really think we'd let philistine scum like NewJeff/Barry/Roger/Jihan desecrate Bitcoin without activating our Samson Option, do you? Wink Wink Wink

Best of luck with your attack fork pumps!  If you do manage to boost Bcash and/or B2X over BTC parity, I look forward to dumping mine for more Monero!

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Tyr808

Activity: 606
Merit: 278

06/19/11 17:51 Bought BTC 259684.77 for 0.0101

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 10:31:16 AM

With the latest flee of capitals for the bitcoin fork and the anoncoin attention having been temporarily redirected to zencoin thanks to palms beach recommendations, XMR lost traction and now seems to be time to a good buying range for XMR (at the moment 86$).

I agree. XMR has privacy advantages and more long term potential. Hopefully investors see the light.

Also in terms of supporting evidence in various experiments and research, Monero is just ten steps ahead of the competition and this has been demonstrated times and times again.
I still think that ZEN was underpriced, but yet the only solid anonymous coins one should be looking at as a safe investment is XMR at present stage.
Interesting however what Assange said about ZEC.

garytheasshole

Activity: 406
Merit: 105

Chosŏn Minjujuŭi Inmin Konghwaguk

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2017, 10:31:45 AM

What goes around...

Same here (and the same thread).

Am scratching my head too, seems pretty innocuous stuff.
Only trolls are allowed to post here apparently. Anyway happy I've reached my $88 target!

Dotto
Legendary

Activity: 981
Merit: 1005

No maps for these territories

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 03:21:57 PM

And finally, some mambo  Grin
Pages: « 1 ... 1646 1647 1648 1649 1650 1651 1652 1653 1654 1655 1656 1657 1658 1659 1660 1661 1662 1663 1664 1665 1666 1667 1668 1669 1670 1671 1672 1673 1674 1675 1676 1677 1678 1679 1680 1681 1682 1683 1684 1685 1686 1687 1688 1689 1690 1691 1692 1693 1694 1695 [1696] 1697 1698 1699 1700 1701 1702 1703 1704 1705 1706 1707 1708 1709 1710 1711 1712 1713 1714 1715 1716 1717 1718 1719 1720 1721 1722 1723 1724 1725 1726 1727 1728 1729 1730 1731 1732 1733 1734 1735 1736 1737 1738 1739 1740 1741 1742 1743 1744 1745 1746 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: