Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 12:08:10 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 [151] 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 ... 282 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][GEMZ] GetGems - Social Messaging App That Pays - Live on Android, iOS, Web  (Read 597140 times)
mrvegad

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 07:49:10 PM

So, can someone tell me, if I send a message to someone knowing only their user name, do they only know my user name, or do they also get my phone number and real name? Is there a way to edit my user name?

No they will only know your username, although it gives you the option to share contact info.

Also, what is the difference between Secret Chat and just sending a message?

Does the bitcoin wallet generate a new address every time I receive some? Is there a way to manually generate a new address?

Not sure about this, maybe someone else knows?

Finally, is there any documentation for the app? both How to Use and How it Works type info?

There is no FAQ yet, which should be available on the website, i guess when the app is ready and some bugs fixed it should be done.

Cool thanks. Would love to get a message from someone and maybe play send some gems back and forth.

My username is Pilot if anyone is interested.
I can only find pilotdave, is that you?

No it's pilot, i could find him. you will see @pilot
There must be a bug in the search, I can't find him. Someone else was also having problems with the search yesterday.
peled1986 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 882
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 07:59:38 PM
Last edit: May 05, 2015, 10:05:54 PM by peled1986

So, can someone tell me, if I send a message to someone knowing only their user name, do they only know my user name, or do they also get my phone number and real name? Is there a way to edit my user name?
No they will only know your username, although it gives you the option to share contact info.
Does the bitcoin wallet generate a new address every time I receive some? Is there a way to manually generate a new address?
Finally, is there any documentation for the app? both How to Use and How it Works type info?
There is no FAQ yet, which should be available on the website, i guess when the app is ready and some bugs fixed it should be done.
Cool thanks. Would love to get a message from someone and maybe play send some gems back and forth.
There must be a bug in the search, I can't find him. Someone else was also having problems with the search yesterday.

This bug (Android user can't find iOS user) has already been fixed for the next iOS version.
hector3115

Activity: 481
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 02:28:05 AM

Daniel,

I noticed that when I sent an invite from an iPhone to iPhone through text, there was no link.  Also, the sign up process seems a little buggy. 

I think this has to be all smoothed out before we start mass invites to all of our contacts.

People with a passing interest will run at the first sign of a bug.

BUY CRYPTO AT REASONABLE RATES
▄▄███████▄▄
▄█████▀ ▀█████▄
██████ ▄█▄ ██████
██████ █████ ██████
█████ ▄ ███ ▄ █████
████▌▐██ █ ██▌▐████
███▄ ▀▀▌ ▐▀▀ ▄███
▀████▄▄ ▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄█████▀█▀█████▄
████        ▀████
███████  ███  █████
███████      ▀█████
███████  ███  █████
████        ▄████
▀█████▄█▄█████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄█████▀▀▀█████▄
██████   ▐███████
██████▌   ▀▀███████
█████▀    ▄████████
████▄    ▀▀▀▀▀▀████
███▌         ▄███
▀█████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
&OTHER
COINS
nextgencoin
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 04:44:54 AM

http://snip.ly/PPun#http://www.coindesk.com/review-getgems-ios-app-review/

Not that positive a review. It just cut and pasted facts and then came to a negative conclusion, why was 'Telegram users receive messages sent on GetGems' a con of the app?. I wonder if Coindesk did the review without Gems input, I feel like a sector of the Bitcoin coin community will have a default negative view of Gems. Its was unfair that the review didn't make clear the app was in almost beta. If it ever becomes clear the Bitcoin community are going to attack Getgems then they should be brushed off honestly. I hope the marketing team in Getgems doesn't focus too much on the gulag of the Bitcoin community and pushes past to 'virgin' territory. Once the app is polished, airdrop is working etc what I would love to see is reviews in Tech magazines like Wired or even completely new communities like e.g Skater Magazines, or a fashion magazines, colleges etc pushing out way beyond Bitcoin.  
ELikesCrypto

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 07:27:32 AM

I think that the Coindesk review is missing the point. They are not talking at all about the real strong feature of the App: the fact that your data is no longer in the hands of companies like Facebook who are making money exploiting your data. You are in control on what advertisements you want to receive and you can earn Gemz for receiving messages, instead of being a cash cow for the Zuckerberg and Co. Gemz also opens up a completely new market for people who want to make some money using their popularity in Social Media (getting paid by people who want to send you a message).
This adds a whole new dimension to instant messaging that we have not seen before. Too bad that Coindesk is only focusing on stuff like visual elements.
nextgencoin
Legendary

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 08:18:12 AM
Last edit: May 06, 2015, 08:32:11 AM by nextgencoin

http://snip.ly/PPun#http://www.coindesk.com/review-getgems-ios-app-review/

Not that positive a review. It just cut and pasted facts and then came to a negative conclusion, why was 'Telegram users receive messages sent on GetGems' a con of the app?. I wonder if Coindesk did the review without Gems input, I feel like a sector of the Bitcoin coin community will have a default negative view of Gems. Its was unfair that the review didn't make clear the app was in almost beta. If it ever becomes clear the Bitcoin community are going to attack Getgems then they should be brushed off honestly. I hope the marketing team in Getgems doesn't focus too much on the gulag of the Bitcoin community and pushes past to 'virgin' territory. Once the app is polished, airdrop is working etc what I would love to see is reviews in Tech magazines like Wired or even completely new communities like e.g Skater Magazines, or a fashion magazines, colleges etc pushing out way beyond Bitcoin.  

Well he doesnt' say anything which isn't true. The fact that it is still work in progress could indeed have been mentioned more clearly but then again even though this forum thread is titled iPhone BETA is live there is little that tells me it's still in PUBLIC BETA when getting introduced, download and install the app. Thus a fully functional, bug free app is expected. Everyone is eager to invited everyone but I personally think its still a little early to send an invitation to your mom and dad unless they are willing to go through a bumpy first few miles. Its like you say "Once the app is polished" - Until then you can't expect anyone to praise it to the moon. Its a great app just not ready for mass adoption. Besides that the GetGems team (who are doing a fabulous job) should not try to run faster then their boots can carry them. Pete Rizzo's article is not a negative article, it just indicates what stage GetGems is at. I like the term "Social Wallet" by the way.    

I guess it wasn't terrible but it certainly wasn't glowing and it failed to really give credit to what GetGems is trying to achieve in terms of attention economy. Maybe I'm biased but a messenger app that sends an alt and Bitcoin like a text message in a relatively polished app deserves a lot of brownie points simply for being the first to do it.  The reviewer didn't highlight the obvious positives either cause they don't know enough about it or just an inbuilt bias toward a non Bitcoin project, either way I personally don't think it reflects the project positively. Especially as a major focus was on the bugs in the first release when you consider how buggy the early Bitcoin wallets were.

I mean honestly a Bitcoin website should be dancing with joy at a project like Gems that makes Bitcoin truly user friendly and potentially very viral. In my mind its the most exciting project in Bitcoin for the last year or so let alone alts. Personally I'm not concerned cause Gems is a project that if successful will leapfrog the Bitcoin community anyway. I just hope the app is polished and the word gets out sooner rather than later. Timing IS important, I spent a year telling the Qora community that but it fell on deaf ears.
nextgencoin
Legendary

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 08:51:25 AM

I'm not worried one bit about it either. I guess my main underlying question is whether the Bitcoin community is going to embrace Getgems or not? I have my doubts honestly...
reRaise

Activity: 868

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 09:19:25 AM

I'm not worried one bit about it either. I guess my main underlying question is whether the Bitcoin community is going to embrace Getgems or not? I have my doubts honestly...

Thats why the app also needs to focus on people outside the bitcoin community once it's ready, through non bitcoin related popular Youtube channels for example or other ways, i found the Coindesk article not that bad tbh. This is just the beginning for this app really, the cool stuff has yet to come.
peled1986 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 12:40:24 PM
Last edit: May 06, 2015, 01:10:56 PM by peled1986

this has at least a good 6 months to go until you should start inviting anyone outside crypto

This is like saying don't tell your friends about bitcoin until the ecosystem is ready/perfect. I was exposed to bitcoin in 2013 and I wish (like most people here) I would have joined the ecosystem earlier even if it had growing pains. GeGems has combined technology that is truly amazing, providing a better gateway than most stand alone wallets because it is simple, fast and social.

clochard

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 12:48:12 PM

That is true, but I think you need to understand as well that promoting this app right now to non-Bitcoin users is tricky, in the sense that most people will walk back to Whatsapp as soon as small bugs start occuring. I have already inivited most of my tech savvy friends, but I will wait with iniviting the the masses until it is more stable and most features are working.

Another thing. I checked how much data I have been using over the past weeks and I was quite shocked to see that Getgems almost used a gigabyte of data, while I only use it for a few small chats per day (maximum). This probably has to do with the fact that I have sent a few GIF's, but still I think this is something that should be tackled.

A lot of people have small data bundles and they won't use Getgems if it uses so much data.

Anyone else experiencing this?
peled1986 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 12:55:35 PM
Last edit: May 06, 2015, 01:08:13 PM by peled1986

That is true, but I think you need to understand as well that promoting this app right now to non-Bitcoin users is tricky, in the sense that most people will walk back to Whatsapp as soon as small bugs start occuring. I have already inivited most of my tech savvy friends, but I will wait with iniviting the the masses until it is more stable and most features are working.

As you are aware we haven't started promoting the app in mainstream media, but showing friends and getting feedback from non-Bitcoin users is the only way you can build a good product.

Another thing. I checked how much data I have been using over the past weeks and I was quite shocked to see that Getgems almost used a gigabyte of data, while I only use it for a few small chats per day (maximum). This probably has to do with the fact that I have sent a few GIF's, but still I think this is something that should be tackled.

A lot of people have small data bundles and they won't use Getgems if it uses so much data.

Smarticons is the feature causing this problem, we removed it from the next version until they workout their data consumption problems.
nextgencoin
Legendary

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 01:23:41 PM

I was a little surprised how many bugs turned up in the first iOS just because I thought it would of been more polished before a long wait to get into the Apple store BUT honestly the bugginess of at least the Android app if that's even a word  Smiley is a bit overplayed. The app isn't much more buggy than any other app or mobile game I've ever played cause they all tend to crash etc every now and again etc. Generally the app works, period.

So the truth is most people wont run away from an app due to a few bugs. I personally am waiting for the daily airdrop to be in place before I try to convert anyone cause I think this what will hold peoples attention and a few bugs won't change that much I believe. 
peled1986 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 01:34:39 PM

I was a little surprised how many bugs turned up in the first iOS just because I thought it would of been more polished before a long wait to get into the Apple store BUT honestly the bugginess of at least the Android app if that's even a word  Smiley is a bit overplayed. The app isn't much more buggy than any other app or mobile game I've ever played cause they all tend to crash etc every now and again etc. Generally the app works, period.

So the truth is most people wont run away from an app due to a few bugs. I personally am waiting for the daily airdrop to be in place before I try to convert anyone cause I think this what will hold peoples attention and a few bugs won't change that much I believe. 

When we released the iOS app, there were major updates to our backend and Telegram servers. We could have delayed the initial release but we believe that with the community help and data analytics from active users the development speed will be much faster, and this is indeed true.

[the new version 1.1.4 in the picture was released May 03, 2015, since than we had 1 crash report]

nextgencoin
Legendary

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 01:46:58 PM

When we released the iOS app, there were major updates to our backend and Telegram servers. We could have delayed the initial release but we believe that with the community help and data analytics from active users the development speed will be much faster, and this is indeed true.

[the new version 1.1.4 in the picture was released May 03, 2015, since than we had 1 crash report]

And I completely understood why you did what you did...I've yet to see you and your team make a bad decision, trust me I don't ass kiss, I genuinely have confidence in the team.   

Can you give some 'rough' clue on when airdrop might happen?  Grin
peled1986 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 02:04:16 PM

Can you give some 'rough' clue on when airdrop might happen?  Grin

Once the referral invite system (which is being tested now) is polished.
clochard

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 02:13:05 PM

Smarticons is the feature causing this problem, we removed it from the next version until they workout their data consumption problems.

Okay good to know!
Kartaba

Activity: 276
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 05:11:57 PM

One of the best bitcoin mobile wallets in the market today!! ... its not just us who think that way... check out this episode of BITCOIN RUSH..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw8t0dmEsmA

Unfortunately nothing was said about earning money but hey .. better something than nothing Wink

Good job Peled, keep up the good work!  Tongue

Edit: Perhaps one day Getgems can be in the open minute??? Smiley
PilotofBTC
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 06:32:15 PM

I already sent you a message.

Erm... never got it. Just double checked.
PilotofBTC
Legendary

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 06:34:28 PM

Nope, it's just   

pilot

PilotofBTC
Legendary

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 06:37:33 PM

This bug (Android user can't find iOS user) has already been fixed for the next iOS version.

What version is that? I have 1.1.4.
Pages: « 1 ... 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 [151] 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 ... 282 »
  Print  

Jump to: