Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 06:26:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: FPGA development board "Lancelot" - accept bitsteam developer's orders.  (Read 101825 times)
luffy

Activity: 607
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 06:23:57 AM

@ngzhang
have you checked this already?
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=88413.0

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ngzhang (OP)

Activity: 592
Merit: 501

We will stand and fight.

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 03:58:33 PM

@ngzhang

yep, but you know...
these fpgas are  tooooo small...
seriouscoin

Activity: 658

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 04:19:37 PM

@ngzhang

yep, but you know...

You should apply to work for BFL.

They're looking for a Mandarin speaking engineer in Asia.

Please work for them.
ngzhang (OP)

We will stand and fight.

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 06:18:19 PM

@ngzhang

yep, but you know...

Please work for them.

NEVER EVER
Dhomochevsky

Activity: 242
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 06:22:22 PM

Sad

What if they say "Pretty please"?

Sad
EnergyVampire

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 06:26:14 PM
Last edit: June 26, 2012, 11:33:59 PM by EnergyVampire

sub

Added to Watchlist: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=90136.0

exahash

Activity: 278
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 07:20:27 PM

Please work for them.

NEVER EVER

Thank goodness!

disclaimer201
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 10:40:58 PM

Please work for them.

NEVER EVER

Thank goodness!

Why should he work someone else? Butterfly Labs suck in comparison.
CoinDiner

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 02:03:08 AM

First off    sorry for the thread hijack!

If anyone from Europe is thinking of getting some of these boards, and NOT using bitcoins to pay , can you let me know how you plan on paying.

Ta
PawShaker

Activity: 140

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 03:53:31 AM

Please work for them.

NEVER EVER

Thank goodness!

Why should he work someone else? Butterfly Labs suck in comparison.

Please, stay freelance. I do belive in distribution and not concentration of power. Yes, when talented people get together they can create oustanding gifts to the humanity... or dominate the world. For instance I can live without "personal computer", "mouse", "iPhone". I apreciate significance of any of these breakthroughs but none of them is wotrth sacrificing beeing free. The leader is gone, but his company continoues the work of global domination.

1FQkH63k6hkexFMTRzLtJEE6ZAaTBRhjiS
seriouscoin

Activity: 658

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 06:34:58 AM

@ngzhang

yep, but you know...

Please work for them.

NEVER EVER

First, never say never ....oops

Second, we want you to work for BFL so we can have correct info and not BS crap. I'm sure they cant do jack to you because you're in China.

Work for them so you can build better products *HINT HINT*

Turbor
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

BitMinter

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2012, 10:31:42 AM

First off    sorry for the thread hijack!

If anyone from Europe is thinking of getting some of these boards, and NOT using bitcoins to pay , can you let me know how you plan on paying.

Ta

He has a bank account. Wire transfer works very well.

ngzhang (OP)

We will stand and fight.

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 10:50:09 AM

@ngzhang

yep, but you know...

Please work for them.

NEVER EVER

First, never say never ....oops

Second, we want you to work for BFL so we can have correct info and not BS crap. I'm sure they cant do jack to you because you're in China.

Work for them so you can build better products *HINT HINT*

bank transfer or paypal is acceptable.
or MTGOX$ redeem code
rph

Activity: 176

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 02:52:00 AM

ASICs will fuck all FGPAs to shit.

Only if it's full custom below ~90nm, which means several million dollars in mask costs, a 6-9 month
mfg period, and a pretty good chance that the first chip is useless, unless you know WTF you are
doing and poached a rockstar team of people making $200k+/yr away from companies like
Broadcom, Marvell, Intel, etc. And managed to convince your investors they wouldn't be better
off funding something else for a larger / lower risk market.

Given the odds of BFL pulling that off - I'm going to keep buying FPGAs.
I will fear a true full custom mining ASIC if/when it exists, but the FPGAs
will certainly have paid for themselves way before then.

-rph

Ultra-Low-Cost DIY FPGA Miner: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=44891
rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 02:57:28 AM

Would you agree though, rph, that SHA256 is quite a bit simpler than most designs, and therefore is (even slightly) less likely to need several respins before a good wafer is produced?

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
rph

Activity: 176

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 03:00:25 AM

It helps but logic/RTL verification is one of the easiest steps in a modern ASIC design.
The lower level physical/analog design is what fucks over most amateur ASIC designs.

-rph

Ultra-Low-Cost DIY FPGA Miner: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=44891
rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 03:03:49 AM

It helps but logic/RTL verification is one of the easiest steps in a modern ASIC design.
You derisk that by using - guess what - FPGAs. The lower level physical/analog design
is what fucks over most amateur ASIC designs.

-rph

I see, so the person or company that is designing an ASIC really is responsible for the entire thing, it isn't as simple as handing some completed HDL over to a company who will then interpret them into their process and print some chips.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1065

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 03:56:00 AM

Only if it's full below ~90nm, which means several million dollars in mask costs, a 6-9 month
mfg period, and a pretty good chance that the first chip is useless, unless you know WTF you are
doing
This is a gross overestimate. The folded, not-unrolled design is basically a two 32-bit-wide shift registers with some multi-input adders in a feedback and an adder-comparator on the output. The remaining logic is all standard cells: PLL, ROM and I/O.

SHA-256 is pretty much self-testing: there are no unreachable states and all every state is observable. Any internal fault will eventually show up on the outputs.

The lower level physical/analog design is what fucks over most amateur ASIC designs.

And again dual SHA-256 is a dream assignment for the beginners. It is small and it takes only about 64 or 128 simulated clocks to verify the entire custom circuitry. From my past experience with SPICE and BSIM4 I would venture to guess that I could simulate one clock cycle of an entire SHA-256 round on my Core2Duo laptop in one day.

The additional benefit for the team is that they have design closure achieved from the moment they pass automated DRC verification. All timing and power targets are soft, they have absolutely no interoperability requirements and any hard targets for timing closure or power closure. All they have to do is pick an  internal clock generation cell with variable multiplier.

I would guess that the chances of a "zero yield" first spin are atypically low for this design.

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
Long-term mining prognosis: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91101.0
hardpick

Activity: 265

Football President

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2012, 04:52:35 AM

Only if it's full below ~90nm, which means several million dollars in mask costs, a 6-9 month
doing
This is a gross overestimate. The folded, not-unrolled design is basically a two 32-bit-wide shift registers with some multi-input adders in a feedback and an adder-comparator on the output. The remaining logic is all standard cells: PLL, ROM and I/O.

SHA-256 is pretty much self-testing: there are no unreachable states and all every state is observable. Any internal fault will eventually show up on the outputs.

And again dual SHA-256 is a dream assignment for the beginners. It is small and it takes only about 64 or 128 simulated clocks to verify the entire custom circuitry. From my past experience with SPICE and BSIM4 I would venture to guess that I could simulate one clock cycle of an entire SHA-256 round on my Core2Duo laptop in one day.

The additional benefit for the team is that they have design closure achieved from the moment they pass automated DRC verification. All timing and power targets are soft, they have absolutely no interoperability requirements and any hard targets for timing closure or power closure. All they have to do is pick an  internal clock generation cell with variable multiplier.

I would guess that the chances of a "zero yield" first spin are atypically low for this design.

I think what you are saying is a sha-256 asic is fairly simple and they should get it right the first time Huh?
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 05:09:15 AM

doing

So, in this arena - price wise what would be a very reasonable estimate of how much it would cost BFL?
(so I know if the major effort to very slightly possibly invalidate sha256 would be worth the while to kill their company)

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: