Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 03:56:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 ... 1348 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ASICMINER: Entering the Future of ASIC Mining by Inventing It  (Read 3916346 times)
DutchBrat

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 09:09:00 AM

It is a shame all this GLBSE sh*t is happening.

We should all be excited about ASICMINER getting closer and closer to launch-date, perhaps being the first ever ASICs to mine BTC

and here we are... stressing about whether or not we will get our shares back.... it's beyond ridiculous !
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Gabit

Activity: 145
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 10:03:00 AM

It is a shame all this GLBSE sh*t is happening.

We should all be excited about ASICMINER getting closer and closer to launch-date, perhaps being the first ever ASICs to mine BTC

and here we are... stressing about whether or not we will get our shares back.... it's beyond ridiculous !

It is very unfortunate, and quite frankly quite annoying. But, to be fair, in retrospect it wasn't exactly government approved trading platform, and he (nefario) in his BTC2012 speech quite frankly begged for trouble. Was it a few weeks it took, after he bragged that GLBSE cannot be shut down? Smart move.

As I've said before, What we the BTC community needs, is a decent solution for trading in the blockchain, so it cannot be shut down. There are multiple solutions already available, but they aren't implemented for some reason. Whether its lack of devs or interest, can't say. But what I do know is, that shares are pretty good vessels for creating wealth to the BTC economy as it have been essential to the success of whole capitalist system as we know it. I hope that the devs would understand how important it would be.

I'm sure that friedcat will do everything he can to get our shares in order.
samson
Legendary

Activity: 2097
Merit: 1068

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 01:03:00 PM

I only have a few shares (about 120-130) from what I remember but I'd like to be able to keep hold of them.

I can provide any details required by ASICMINER to claim them.

niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 02:03:49 PM

A relevant story by Inaba at BFL forums:

So for an update on shipping times... As you might imagine, we get this question a lot. It seems like it would be a simple question to answer, but it's not. Let me describe the process so people can better understand why.

If you look at the current FPGA board in a Single or MiniRig, you'll see lots of capacitors, resistors, etc... about 350 little tiny parts attached to the board. Contrary to some of the conspiracy theories out there, all our boards are completely custom made, they aren't purchased from another manufacturer, etc... they are designed by us and made for us and us alone. As such, we are required to volume source every single part that goes on the board.

The ASICs are similar in so far as they also have nearly 350 components on each board. With the FPGAs, we sourced parts in the hundreds or low thousands at a time. For some of the ASIC parts, we are sourcing hundreds of thousands at a time which requires direct ordering & lead time dependancy from the respective manufacturers. However, for this first batch, we're mostly able to depend on available distribution stock from places like Mouser and DigiKey. Shortly after we get the first batch of everything in, we'll have our larger mega stockpiles arrive from other vendors and/or direct from the distributors, it's just the first batch that's going to be rough.

So, we've got he myriad distributors shipping thousands of little pieces to us, the PCB manufacturer sending us the bare PCBs, the HSF manufacturer sending the HSFs to us, the PSU manufacturer sending the PSU's to us, the case manufacturer sending the cases to us and most importantly, the fab sending the ASIC chips to us. All of these must arrive on time and as expected for everything to go off without a hitch. So far, so good.

When we made our announcement for shipping dates, we padded in some extra weeks in case of delays, and as we try to herd all these cats into one corral, our padding is slowly eaten up with mostly minor problems, but they all add up. With the bump in specs, we spent some time ensuring the power subsystem is over powered to accommodate the new and future power requirements - our chips are capable of higher speeds than what we initially intended to send out in the first batch, and they still have quite a bit of headroom; We decided to go ahead design the power subsystem to handle the maximum theoretical load of the chips. This means we can now crank the board up with some minor tweaking. Each chip is theoretically capable of operating at 1 GHz, we are running them at 500 MHz with the new specs... we will likely never see 1 GHz operations, simply because of heat density issues and a few other factors, but we have at least another 25% of headroom we can play with, if not more. Again, we built in a lot of padding into the specs, just in case something went wrong. We have basically padded everything we could in terms of estimates and that padding is what has allowed us to bump specs on short notice and keep our shipping times in line even in the face of delays.

Ok, so we have the cats herded, the specs staked out, now we have to actually build these things. As many of you know, we've purchased SMT machines to allow us to manufacture our own boards - and I have mentioned this before, but many have not heard it - we will not be using the SMT equipment to process our first batch of boards; we will be using the same house that did the pick and place for our previous generation products, which means we're still at the mercy of someone else for our first batch shipments. There has been some delays at that stage, but we have the padding, so it's not been a critical issue. There has also been some delays at the foundry, but again, we have padding, so it's not been a critical issue. We are also paying for an expedited run at the foundry (which does not come cheap) to keep our timeline up. All these things have to work out perfectly and our timeline is still looking good. However, if something does not work out perfectly, our timeline is going to slip, plain and simple. We've used up most of our padding at this point and we are still ironing out a few little wrinkles here and there. This has been a long explanation for a simple answer: I would like to tell you we are still on time or pretty close to it, because we are. However, I would also like to tell you that we are going to slip a couple weeks or so if anything goes wrong, and given the complexity of the issues facing us, I would say it's almost inevitable something will crop up between now and the beginning of November that we are not expecting; What that is, I don't know yet, but I would rather error on the side of caution, say the timeline is going to slip a little bit and then surprise everyone with an early delivery than promise an early delivery and not meet that promise. So that's what I'm doing and there's your answer. When I have more information, I'll let people know as soon as I can.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
SysRun

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Portland Bitcoin Group Organizer

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 02:34:08 PM

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_hardware_comparison#ASICs

This link needs to be updated. It mentions ASICMINER and GLBSE... Since GLBSE is no more, you might want to fix what is stated..

Images are not allowed. As your member rank increases, you can use more types of styling in your signature, and your signature can be longer. See the stickies in Meta for more info.
Max 2000; characters remaining: 1781
jjshabadoo

Activity: 535

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 04:42:12 PM

I'd be concerned about giving out info to GLBSE. Nefario is going to do anything he has to to get himself out of this mess.

I don't think buying a share in a mining OP like ASICminer should be a legal issue, but you never know.

Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 994

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 05:27:22 PM

I'd be concerned about giving out info to GLBSE. Nefario is going to do anything he has to to get himself out of this mess.

I don't think buying a share in a mining OP like ASICminer should be a legal issue, but you never know.
Technically, asking for IDs at this moment is totally unnecessary, because the database has not been compromised. You could work with user ID and passwords to resolve any claims. The reason must be rooted in some legal context. At this point I have zero trust in Nefario.

The ASICMINER Project https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.0
"The way you solve things is by making it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing.", Milton Friedman
VeeMiner

Activity: 752

bitcoin hodler

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 05:38:42 PM

It seems for a while the GLBSE was open to take peoples withdraw addresses.

The next page after that read:

https://i.imgur.com/CiDfd.png

What a B.S. !!!  Huh

youve gotta be kidding me. This is getting crazy...
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 06:34:26 PM

Technically, asking for IDs at this moment is totally unnecessary, because the database has not been compromised. You could work with user ID and passwords to resolve any claims. The reason must be rooted in some legal context. At this point I have zero trust in Nefario.

Collecting personal information of this kind without privacy policy in place, government oversight, and insurance is outright illegal. There is no way this was attempted under real legal advice. Something else is going on. I can't help but notice that Pirate was also asking for investors' info from PPT operators towards the end of his scheme.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
bitfair

Activity: 362
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 06:49:22 PM
Last edit: October 10, 2012, 07:01:49 PM by bitfair

There is absolutely no way I would trust Nefario with such information, and I would be surprised if anyone else would too - he has basically lost all the trust he once enjoyed around here.

But I'm still assuming (hoping) it'll all be solved in due time, and I hope friedcat and the gang concentrate on getting the show on the road rather than worrying about the latest drama(s).
novusordo

Activity: 800

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 08:03:32 PM

Collecting personal information of this kind without privacy policy in place, government oversight, and insurance is outright illegal. There is no way this was attempted under real legal advice. Something else is going on. I can't help but notice that Pirate was also asking for investors' info from PPT operators towards the end of his scheme.

Agreed, this is ridiculous. He hasn't disclosed any information on how he would store the data, for how long, and for what purposes.

Of course, no GLBSE user ever agreed to this, so it doesn't even matter what he plans to do with the data. IANAL, but I seriously doubt this requirement would hold up in court.

If Nefario was sane / legitimate, he would return all BTC and proof of asset ownership to the users. There's no need to require AML/KYC verification during the closing.

█████
                        █████████████
                     █████████████
                 ██████████████        █████
              █████████████        ████████████
          ██████████████        █████████████
       █████████████        █████████████       ██████
       ██████████        ████████████           ██████
       ███████       █████████████       ███    ██████
       ███████    █████████████       ██████    ██████
       ████████████████████       ██████████    ██████
       █████████████████       █████████████    ██████
       █████████████       █████████████        ██████
       ██████████       █████████████           ██████
       ███████      ██████████████       ███    ██████
       ██████    █████████████       ███████    ██████
       ██████    ██████████       ██████████    ██████
       ██████    ██████        █████████████    ██████
       ██████    ███       █████████████        ██████
       ██████           █████████████       ██████████
       ██████       █████████████        █████████████
                 █████████████       █████████████
              ████████████        █████████████
                  ████         ████████████
                           █████████████
                         ███████████
                            █████
Ferrum Network • Interoperability Network for Financial Applications
jjshabadoo

Activity: 535

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 10:11:37 PM

Giving out your info is not a good idea, people are going to get burned...AGAIN.

I'm not even sure how any company can honor its shareholders.

Anyone who sought investment through GLBSE is going to be able to walk away with their money.

Shareholders are screwed because they must put themselves in a terrible position to have a chance at getting credit for shares owned.

Bitcoin people need to learn that solid legal financial institutions are the ONLY way to go.

Just because bitcoin is decentralized doesn't mean the whole economy should be anonymous, it won't work.

Bitcoin will never truly catch on until people stop hiding behind anonymity and start legitimate businesses with legal recourse.

We need strong, legally compliant financial institutions, there's nothing wrong with banks if they are done right.
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2012, 11:03:27 PM

jjshabadoo... I believe a decentralized glbse-exchange whose trades are stored in a alternative blockchain and all the offers decentralized at all clients as well. Nothing could happen except buying worthless shares. If government wants to crash then scramble the protocoll plus random ports. If that could be done so that transactions are save...

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
DutchBrat

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 11:11:27 PM

GLBSE is open to enter information for claim processing and Bitcoin retrieval

Only information you have to enter is: e-mail, bitcoinaddress and tick a box if you want asset issuers to get that info
Digigami

Activity: 462

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 11:17:34 PM

Confirmed, just submitted my claim. No extra information was required.
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2012, 11:19:46 PM

Yes. The btc arent on the way automatically. So lets see how this works out.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
keystroke

Activity: 900
Merit: 1014

advocate of a cryptographic attack on the globe

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 04:38:47 AM

Just submitted my claim as well. Hope I remembered to check that box at the bottom Wink Otherwise didn't have any BTC in there but once friedcat has the shareholder info it will be possible to clean things up.

"The difference between a castle and a prison is only a question of who holds the keys."
friedcat (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 848
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 04:41:15 AM

Daily Update

We have submitted the information to GLBSE, and are waiting for their responses.

Friedcat, would you like us to start sending you our claims (how many shares we own), in case you never receive official data from GLBSE? I've got my books in order, and I see my trades in the "complete trade history" csv file. That doesn't prove anything - but it may be all we've got, and as Jutarul explained above, it may be possible to reconstruct most of the database by matching people's claims based on amounts and timestamps.
In case of the possibility we could not receive the shareholders data, we begin collecting the claims ourselves.

Please send to (fnnirvana@gmail.com) your number of shares and your Bitcoin address for receiving dividends. Please annotate that they are ASICMINER shares to avoid confusion with MU or MOORE shares. You could accompany them with any evidence you think is OK to provide. It is highly recommended that you use an address that you have its private key. By that, you may enjoy more facilities provided by our future automatic migrating platform.

DutchBrat

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 09:11:15 AM

Daily Update

We have submitted the information to GLBSE, and are waiting for their responses.

Friedcat, would you like us to start sending you our claims (how many shares we own), in case you never receive official data from GLBSE? I've got my books in order, and I see my trades in the "complete trade history" csv file. That doesn't prove anything - but it may be all we've got, and as Jutarul explained above, it may be possible to reconstruct most of the database by matching people's claims based on amounts and timestamps.
In case of the possibility we could not receive the shareholders data, we begin collecting the claims ourselves.

Please send to (fnnirvana@gmail.com) your number of shares and your Bitcoin address for receiving dividends. Please annotate that they are ASICMINER shares to avoid confusion with MU or MOORE shares. You could accompany them with any evidence you think is OK to provide. It is highly recommended that you use an address that you have its private key. By that, you may enjoy more facilities provided by our future automatic migrating platform.

2 emails sent, as I had 2 accounts on GLBSE
data

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 09:48:48 AM

I had an outstanding order for a few shares as well as my current ones. As I was away for a week, it seems quite likely that the order went through after reading about someone dumping his shares etc. Should I just send you both numbers?
Have you really heard nothing from Nefario? I was hoping that he would at least send out those mails semi-automatically.

At least the process seems to be in order now, as he is even specifically asking for the permission to hand over my data to the issuers. Like I would expect it.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 ... 1348 »
  Print  

Jump to: