Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:38:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [Review] Avalon 6 Miner - Winter Mining - Notlist3d - Also FAQ and Help  (Read 79120 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
supertee

Activity: 689
Merit: 260

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2015, 07:26:41 AM
Last edit: December 12, 2015, 07:39:16 AM by supertee

I am thinking about buying a lot of 10 pieces from blockc. Is anyone powering an Avalon 6 with an HP PSU?

Edit: S7 prices were adjusted... Avalon is out of the race for me, if they don't lower prices, too... 13'900 for 35TH, for the same amount you get 47TH in S7 now..

Passion.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
nhando

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 08:27:21 AM

OH WOW!!!!!!!!!!   The S7 new price is AMAZING@@@ Ouch on our Avalon investment.

Just "Mining" my own business.
RichBC

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 10:47:57 AM

I am thinking about buying a lot of 10 pieces from blockc. Is anyone powering an Avalon 6 with an HP PSU?

Edit: S7 prices were adjusted... Avalon is out of the race for me, if they don't lower prices, too... 13'900 for 35TH, for the same amount you get 47TH in S7 now..

OH WOW!!!!!!!!!!   The S7 new price is AMAZING@@@ Ouch on our Avalon investment.

However I suspect we would not have seen this S7 price if it had not been for the Avalon6. Roll on a price war. Smiley

Rich

→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Hard-Disk Mineable Cryptocurrency !! B U R S T C O I N 💰 Cheap Price & Easy to Invest - CHECK IT OUT NOW! !! →→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Asset exchange, Automatic transactions, Escrow system & More !!
epichaberdasher

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 02:06:18 PM

However I suspect we would not have seen this S7 price if it had not been for the Avalon6. Roll on a price war. Smiley

Rich

Maybe but i also think Bitmain know something about the future difficulty jumps, S7s are going to become a hard sell and Bitmain want to sell as many as they can before that.
nhando

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 07:31:47 PM

Yes price war is good!! I want more Avalons...............let's hope for $1K price!!!  Woot.  Getting ready to order some more of these, really like the noise level and ease of control.

notlist3d (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 09:29:59 PM

Yes price war is good!! I want more Avalons...............let's hope for $1K price!!!  Woot.  Getting ready to order some more of these, really like the noise level and ease of control.

With difficulty rising like it is.  It's honestly hard to say what will happen.  Also it's not just difficulty it's the price of BTC.

I hope BTC goes up personally still.  Considering we were at 230 for the longest time at over 400 is still pretty good.   But it is hurting on difficulty that is for sure on these high periods.
nhando

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 10:36:43 PM

Is it a bad idea to use different PSU with different voltage?  ie I have a HP PSU right now but it's only rated at 1000W and the EVGA.  The 2x DELL PSU breakout board with cables wont arrive for another week.  So run it's running steady at about 12V and 3.370TH.  Not bad but still wanting a min of 3.5 and wouldn't mind 3.7-4TH.  =) 

notlist3d (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 13, 2015, 04:32:10 AM

Is it a bad idea to use different PSU with different voltage?  ie I have a HP PSU right now but it's only rated at 1000W and the EVGA.  The 2x DELL PSU breakout board with cables wont arrive for another week.  So run it's running steady at about 12V and 3.370TH.  Not bad but still wanting a min of 3.5 and wouldn't mind 3.7-4TH.  =) 

I'm sure there are some who will say they have done it.  But I always have not I like keeping it the same just makes me feel like not a jumble of power.

But the same PSU is definitely preferred. But probley not required as long as you keep them on different blades.
notlist3d (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 13, 2015, 04:35:41 AM

Stability test it easily made it through the 7 day's I think I will push it and see if it can get further.  But nice to see it up and not shutting down or problems.

The speed some have mentioned cold it's been very cold here during winter.  Also I still need to check one EVGA 1300 it tends to be 11.9 and not 12.  So those to I think likely contributed to it.

Believe it or not that cold is actually with one of my mining area's big fan's broken.  So looks like I need to start shutting some of them down on fan's or use temperature to automatically do on/off operations.
nhando

View Profile
December 13, 2015, 08:04:00 AM
Last edit: December 13, 2015, 08:56:57 AM by nhando

I think this box does better when it's hotter.  I'm seeing almost 3.4TH now.  Got the replacement HP 1000w PSU and that thing have been quite quiet, knock on wood.   Before I try using part HP 1000W and part EVGA.  Can anyone confirm if the hash board is split left and right or top 2 port and bottom 2 port?

I just open the box and can see the hasboard are split top and bottom so the top 2 ports are of the same board.  I didn't open it all the way as it would ruin the warranty sticker.  I don't recommend anyone using different PSU as the Voltage is different and may cause issue.  I saw my machine show up as 13V and it wouldn't hash after 5 mins so I just change it back to the way it was before to avoid issues.

Also noticed that it reported the temperature all weird as the ASIC normally runs above 70C with the mix PSU configuration, it would show everything in the 40s which is not correct.

P.S Too lazy to black out my username, does it really matter?  What's the worst thing that can happen?  Also I read that the new firmware fix the issue with max Voltage being at 12.8, I'm seeing 13 with the mix PSU due to older firmware.  Should I upgrade?  I also see people reporting 100less G hash rate after upgrading so doesn't seem like a good deal

funtakus

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 13, 2015, 12:09:19 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKZlCMY1Vlg
notlist3d (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 13, 2015, 06:02:18 PM

I think this box does better when it's hotter.  I'm seeing almost 3.4TH now.  Got the replacement HP 1000w PSU and that thing have been quite quiet, knock on wood.   Before I try using part HP 1000W and part EVGA.  Can anyone confirm if the hash board is split left and right or top 2 port and bottom 2 port?

I just open the box and can see the hasboard are split top and bottom so the top 2 ports are of the same board.  I didn't open it all the way as it would ruin the warranty sticker.  I don't recommend anyone using different PSU as the Voltage is different and may cause issue.  I saw my machine show up as 13V and it wouldn't hash after 5 mins so I just change it back to the way it was before to avoid issues.

Also noticed that it reported the temperature all weird as the ASIC normally runs above 70C with the mix PSU configuration, it would show everything in the 40s which is not correct.

P.S Too lazy to black out my username, does it really matter?  What's the worst thing that can happen?  Also I read that the new firmware fix the issue with max Voltage being at 12.8, I'm seeing 13 with the mix PSU due to older firmware.  Should I upgrade?  I also see people reporting 100less G hash rate after upgrading so doesn't seem like a good deal

Upgrade I don't unless there is a big feature or fix they talk about.  Some do every single one.  I'm on thee motto if it aint broke don't fix it.  But just depends on what firmware has.

I think enough people have said it run's better hot... we can get closer to believing it.   I might need to try one in a warmer place and see if I can confirm (and it could very with firmware).

I just like blanking them out.  There is really no security reason, I just don't advertise pools I'm using as I figure it's another topic.  But worst they should be able to do (as long as password is not what you use on site) is mine for you... so you are right not really bad things with it.  Someone might be able to send in crap as you.... but I would guess most pools would see what IP's sending crap.
notlist3d (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 13, 2015, 06:04:23 PM

Thanks for sharing do you have video of 2 server PSU's on by themselfs? And one with both server and miner?

I think the server is adding to the noise a little bit.  I'm not sure how much but it seems to be effecting noise.
sabercatt

Activity: 91

View Profile
December 13, 2015, 07:53:14 PM

Upgrade I don't unless there is a big feature or fix they talk about.  Some do every single one.  I'm on thee motto if it aint broke don't fix it.  But just depends on what firmware has.

I think enough people have said it run's better hot... we can get closer to believing it.   I might need to try one in a warmer place and see if I can confirm (and it could very with firmware).

I just like blanking them out.  There is really no security reason, I just don't advertise pools I'm using as I figure it's another topic.  But worst they should be able to do (as long as password is not what you use on site) is mine for you... so you are right not really bad things with it.  Someone might be able to send in crap as you.... but I would guess most pools would see what IP's sending crap.

the thing with these avalons you gotta watch for is the fan speed. Its a big indicator if they are actually hashing. if the fan speed is below 1800 or so, they most likely are not doing anything. look for the blinking red light at that point.

the ghs next to the fan speed will show the speed they are capable of, but doesnt mean they are doing anything. you have to look up at the 5s,1m,5m,15m numbers to know if they are actually hashing.

this is made a bit more difficult when you have more miners showing on that page. If you have 6 or 8 or ten miners hooked together, the quickest way to see a problem is in the fan speed first and the voltage second. then look up above to confirm the hash rate is down.  a bit of simple math will confirm if you have a miner not working.

mine seem to be very finicky at times. some wont take over 12.2 volts or they shut down and start blinking red (which btw the report voltage usually doesnt match my multimeter) and most wont boot above 12.3/12.4. They seem to want to start reliably if voltage is 12.1/12.2 or lower.
nhando

View Profile
December 13, 2015, 09:01:07 PM
Last edit: December 13, 2015, 09:33:35 PM by nhando

I would bet it's his server PSU that is causing most of the noise.  The Avalon doesn't do whiny noise, more of rush air.  My EVGA and HP 1000W PSU are super quiet so I can figure out the exact noise level of the Avalon.   Going to upload my video soon, my Samsung Notes 4 mic is not great so I think the background noise level appears a little louder than real life.  At 3300RPM for the FAN, my Avalon is just a little bit louder than my OC Antminer S3+.  The noise is like rushed air / white noise so it's not bad at all and I think I'm ok with having this in the corner of my living room as a free heater.  

Here's the My Youtube video of it. 

https://youtu.be/ULLqGl81Kf8

notlist3d (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 13, 2015, 10:09:48 PM

I would bet it's his server PSU that is causing most of the noise.  The Avalon doesn't do whiny noise, more of rush air.  My EVGA and HP 1000W PSU are super quiet so I can figure out the exact noise level of the Avalon.   Going to upload my video soon, my Samsung Notes 4 mic is not great so I think the background noise level appears a little louder than real life.  At 3300RPM for the FAN, my Avalon is just a little bit louder than my OC Antminer S3+.  The noise is like rushed air / white noise so it's not bad at all and I think I'm ok with having this in the corner of my living room as a free heater.  

Here's the My Youtube video of it. 

https://youtu.be/ULLqGl81Kf8

Your video is marked as private Smiley you need to share it.  But thank you for making one to share! Love seeing videos of setups.

And I think you right on his a  lot of noise was the server PSU's.  But I could be wrong that is why I asked for him to do with just PSU's on.
sabercatt

Activity: 91

View Profile
December 13, 2015, 10:50:03 PM

Should be public now.  Can you check?
yup. works fine.
nhando

View Profile
December 13, 2015, 11:50:39 PM

Interesting note.  Ever since I shock the system with the PSU mix where it wasnt hashing and showing 13V and going back to just EVGA G2 at 12V, the box have been doing consistently 3.4TH, not sure if its' coincidental but I'm liking it.  Also I wouldn't recommend anyone using mix PSU that runs different voltage levels as it does make this box act weird and not hash.

notlist3d (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 03:54:04 AM

Interesting note.  Ever since I shock the system with the PSU mix where it wasnt hashing and showing 13V and going back to just EVGA G2 at 12V, the box have been doing consistently 3.4TH, not sure if its' coincidental but I'm liking it.  Also I wouldn't recommend anyone using mix PSU that runs different voltage levels as it does make this box act weird and not hash.

I am kinda a believer in high quality PSU's and not mixing.   So I agree with your there. There are some that mix and think nothing about it.  I just figure why risk it for a little amount of money in scheme of miniing.

What PSU showed 13V?   Do you have a PSU tester to test it?  Sounds very odd on that.
nhando

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 04:45:56 AM

I connected a HP 1000W PSU to the top 2 port and the EVGA G2 to the bottom 2 port and that's when the Avalon 6 shows 13V.  I should have the breakout boards for the DELL PSU next week so I'm excited to see the hash rate by then.  Also getting an Electrician to come out soon to add a 40 or 50AMP 240V outlet to my garage so I can play with the 2 x 2000W IBM PSU using Jabberwork boards.  I just ordered those PSU, breakout boards and fans.  Very excited about them as they're good for OC and are also very quiet based on the fan chosen.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 »
  Print  

Jump to: