Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2018, 04:48:58 PM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.16.0  [Torrent]. (New!)

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 [43]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitmain Announces the Antminer R4 and APW5 Power Supply, Designed for Silence  (Read 66781 times)
Artemis3

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 02, 2018, 09:44:16 PM

I have to wonder why none of the competition has cloned this design. There are many places where you want to have these silent miners...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
leowonderful

Activity: 910
Merit: 1008

View Profile
March 11, 2018, 01:34:03 PM

I have to wonder why none of the competition has cloned this design. There are many places where you want to have these silent miners...
There's simply not enough demand for quiet miners. Most large buyers of mining supplies operate farms where noise is not an issue, and having a silent miner is a rather niche product when you can just sell larger volumes louder ones.

I still find it interesting Bitmain has put 'Coming Soon' on their R4 product page but they haven't come out with any news about it yet. Same for the clock-router LTC miner that they have, the page for that showed up 2-3 weeks ago but there's been no news about it whatsoever besides the product page.

.FORTUNE.JACK.
      ▄▄███████▄▄
   ▄████▀▀ ▄ ██████▄
  ████ ▄▄███ ████████
 █████▌▐███▌ ▀▄ ▀█████
███████▄██▀▀▀▀▄████████
█████▀▄▄▄▄█████████████
████▄▄▄▄ █████████████
 ██████▌ ███▀████████
  ███████▄▀▄████████
   ▀█████▀▀███████▀
      ▀▀██████▀▀

█
...FortuneJack.com                                              
...THE BIGGEST BITCOIN GAMBLING SITE
      ▄▄█████████▄▄
    ▄█████████████████▄
 ▄█████████████████████▄
 ▄██
█████████▀███████████▄
██████████▀   ▀██████████
█████████▀       ▀█████████
████████           ████████
████████▄   ▄ ▄   ▄████████
 ▀██
█████████████████████▀
  ▀██
███████████████████▀
    ▀█████████████████▀
       ▀▀█████████▀▀
#JACKMATE
WIN 1 BTC
▄█████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████
██████████▀█████▀██████████
███████▀░░▀░░░░░▀░░▀███████
██████▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░▐██████
██████░░░░██░░░██░░░░██████
█████▌░░░░▀▀░░░▀▀░░░░▐█████
██████▄░░▄▄▄░░░▄▄▄░░▄██████
████████▄▄███████▄▄████████

▀█████████████████████████▀
TheYankeesWin!

Activity: 302
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 09:51:03 PM

There's simply not enough demand for quiet miners. Most large buyers of mining supplies operate farms where noise is not an issue, and having a silent miner is a rather niche product when you can just sell larger volumes louder ones.

I still find it interesting Bitmain has put 'Coming Soon' on their R4 product page but they haven't come out with any news about it yet. Same for the clock-router LTC miner that they have, the page for that showed up 2-3 weeks ago but there's been no news about it whatsoever besides the product page.

Router Ltc miner looks pretty sweet.
fanatic26

Activity: 686
Merit: 538

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 09:58:14 PM

Router Ltc miner looks pretty sweet.

I dunno what you consider sweet but a $20 router with a single hash chip in it that will never even reach ROI is not my cup of tea

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
zachj00

Activity: 86

View Profile
April 09, 2018, 12:38:24 AM

Does anybody know when the next batch of the R4s are coming out? It's been "coming soon" for what seems to be forever now.
Mo20
Copper Member

Activity: 32

View Profile
April 09, 2018, 01:05:28 AM

Does anybody know when the next batch of the R4s are coming out? It's been "coming soon" for what seems to be forever now.

Probably never. They might have some inventory left but I doubt that they still manufacture these R4s.
ccgllc
Copper Member

Activity: 112
Merit: 17

Math doesn't care what you believe.

View Profile
April 09, 2018, 01:42:44 AM

They may have been quiet, but they were not cost effective.  S9s provided a lot more hashing for your dollar than the R4s did.

I mine bitcoin for a living, and I mine at Kano.is!
Artemis3

Activity: 4

View Profile
April 09, 2018, 06:49:43 AM

It is the same as running an older batch S9 with two boards (8THs), except silent. And they pull 2/3s the power of the older S9s as well.

Its design is probably unnecessary in a warehouse, but perfect for the living room.
The T9 is close, but it still uses dual fans. I wonder if the Avalons are quiet enough, but somehow doubt it. Someone told me 65db, which is 10db above the R4.

The fan on the R4 should be run at 100% by disconnecting the control wire, they are very quiet even at the max 3200rpm (i saw another (slower?) batch running max at 3000rpm).

Compare it with the useless A3 and tell me they were worth more spending resources than this. An Scrypt model using this same design would have probably been great as well.

I guess in the end you have to get a T9/S9 and put it inside a cooler box with holes and thermal insulated ducts...
leowonderful

Activity: 910
Merit: 1008

View Profile
April 09, 2018, 04:25:25 PM

It is the same as running an older batch S9 with two boards (8THs), except silent. And they pull 2/3s the power of the older S9s as well.

Its design is probably unnecessary in a warehouse, but perfect for the living room.
The T9 is close, but it still uses dual fans. I wonder if the Avalons are quiet enough, but somehow doubt it. Someone told me 65db, which is 10db above the R4.

The fan on the R4 should be run at 100% by disconnecting the control wire, they are very quiet even at the max 3200rpm (i saw another (slower?) batch running max at 3000rpm).

Compare it with the useless A3 and tell me they were worth more spending resources than this. An Scrypt model using this same design would have probably been great as well.

I guess in the end you have to get a T9/S9 and put it inside a cooler box with holes and thermal insulated ducts...
Avalons aren’t going to be quiet enough for the living room like you said; they’re still industrial grade machines just like the S9s, though they are indeed somewhat quieter than the S9s. Every decibel counts in home mining, though, so if you aren’t going for the living room approach, the Avalon or S9 is fine for the garage or basement as long as there is adequate airflow coming in and heat extraction out.

There’s no need for the R4 in a warehouse considering you get way better bang for your buck with alternatives like the S9, T9, A8xx, etc.

.FORTUNE.JACK.
      ▄▄███████▄▄
   ▄████▀▀ ▄ ██████▄
  ████ ▄▄███ ████████
 █████▌▐███▌ ▀▄ ▀█████
███████▄██▀▀▀▀▄████████
█████▀▄▄▄▄█████████████
████▄▄▄▄ █████████████
 ██████▌ ███▀████████
  ███████▄▀▄████████
   ▀█████▀▀███████▀
      ▀▀██████▀▀

█
...FortuneJack.com                                              
...THE BIGGEST BITCOIN GAMBLING SITE
      ▄▄█████████▄▄
    ▄█████████████████▄
 ▄█████████████████████▄
 ▄██
█████████▀███████████▄
█████████▀       ▀█████████
████████           ████████
████████▄   ▄ ▄   ▄████████
 ▀██
█████████████████████▀
  ▀██
███████████████████▀
    ▀█████████████████▀
       ▀▀█████████▀▀
#JACKMATE
WIN 1 BTC
▄█████████████████████████▄
██████████▀█████▀██████████
███████▀░░▀░░░░░▀░░▀███████
██████▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░▐██████
██████░░░░██░░░██░░░░██████
█████▌░░░░▀▀░░░▀▀░░░░▐█████
██████▄░░▄▄▄░░░▄▄▄░░▄██████
████████▄▄███████▄▄████████

▀█████████████████████████▀
fanatic26

Activity: 686
Merit: 538

View Profile
April 09, 2018, 04:31:07 PM

The R4 was a failed experiment and further proves there is not a strong enough market for home miners to keep them in production.

To make a decent profit in the space now you need to run more miners than a normal home electrical system is setup to handle. The only reason to run an R4 is so you can pat yourself on the back and brag to your friends you mine bitcoin.

I mean an r4 makes like what $50 a month at residential power prices?

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
throwaway2

Activity: 34

View Profile
April 13, 2018, 04:18:01 PM

I ran an Avalon 741 in my studio apartment for about 3 months and it heated my space pretty well for the winter months. The 841s are definitely louder.

Underclocking my 741 to -2 voltage and setting a low minimum fanspeed dropped the sound quite a bit (think ~50db @ 1 ft away, I will see if I can find a video). The fans are obviously very sensitive to temps and so I kept my unit near a cold brick wall with a window I could open at any time if it was getting too warm. Electricity cost was about the same as what I would have paid for heat.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 [43]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.