Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 10:33:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 ... 1126 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Obyte: Totally new consensus algorithm + private untraceable payments  (Read 1233955 times)
tonych (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 964
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2016, 03:24:35 PM

Hi tonych,
Is there a way to run byteball client throw TOR (ex: a proxy settings, as bitcoin core has, to point network traffic locally to TOR)?
I understand that byteball encrypts communications with its network (does this include communications to your servers during link bitcoin process?) but any byteball node could save user's ip (see how bitcoin explorers, ex: blockchain.info, shows originating ip for each transaction even knowing bitcoin doesn't save ip on its blockchain) and also byteball could save it during the link bitcoin process (not saying that you will, or even that if you would that you'd share it, but we all know that restricting access to malicious parties is very, very hard).
Privacy and even anonymity is very important specially when money is involved because evil parties can do incredible harmful things with information like ip, amounts, address and etc.  Byteball may become very valuable in the future and every cautionary measure is advisable from now on.
In order to test byteball with TOR I tried to run byteball inside whonix (it comes as two virtualbox debian linux guests with a scheme where all network communication goes only throw TOR without any special configuration) but unfortunately whonix is only available for debian 32 bits and byteball binaries for linux are only available on 64 bits (could you please think in offering it in 32 bits for linux too?).
I also tried to run byteball inside whonix by not using your 64 bit binaries and but instead getting sources from github and installing as per yours instructions there, but after fixing some problem and have it finally installed, it didn't run ok. But I think the problem were unrelated to TOR (I will try again the whole process and come back later with more details if needed.  For now could you please tell which specific version of NW is advisable to this intent as I found instructions somewhat cryptic?).

Unfortunately I have little experience with TOR and can't help much here, but it will be interesting if you update about your efforts to run Byteball through TOR.

All communications are end-to-end encrypted but the IPs are visible of course. 

Note that during linking process you do not communicate with the Transition Bot directly, you communicate through a hub, so the bot doesn't see your IP while the hub sees the IP but doesn't see the communication as it is encrypted.  Since I run both the bot and the only hub in the network, I can still match their data to determine your IP (which I'm not going to do).  Asking you to run your own hub would be too much I'm afraid.

Yes, you can build for linux32 yourself with very little tweaking, I recommend NW.js version 0.14.7.

Simplicity is beauty

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
torikan

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 23, 2016, 03:33:02 PM

I can translated in Turkish. Pm
tbearhere
Legendary

Activity: 3122
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 23, 2016, 05:02:27 PM
Last edit: November 23, 2016, 06:04:37 PM by tbearhere

This is a very good project. And the security of transactions is fantastic. Curious what the new algo will be like too.
I hope we get a good well balanced start for AMD and NVIDIA cards. Looking forward to the launch.  Smiley
galaxiekyl
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1113

View Profile
November 23, 2016, 11:01:27 PM

This is a very good project. And the security of transactions is fantastic. Curious what the new algo will be like too.
I hope we get a good well balanced start for AMD and NVIDIA cards. Looking forward to the launch.  Smiley

pls read the first page..this coin doesn't can min by any card..it is a proof of existence distrib.
valley365

Activity: 868

View Profile
November 24, 2016, 02:16:15 AM

There is no mining, so it doesn't matter which GPU cards you have. I think the purpose of this coin is to build a framework for transfer assets, with smart contracts etc, similar to Ethereum. But it should be more efficient and faster because of its internal structures (DAG as opposed to block chain).
zrunfeng

Activity: 585
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 24, 2016, 02:24:23 AM

This must be a good project.But now it still be running in a testnet to the time dev said,why?
CryptKeeper
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1055

View Profile
November 24, 2016, 06:52:37 AM

This must be a good project.But now it still be running in a testnet to the time dev said,why?

The real linking phase will start in december, the test which is currently running will give stability to this process. Better to wait longer so everyone has time to gather experience with the wallet and the linking process.

Follow me on twitter! I'm a private Bitcoin and altcoin hodler. Giving away crypto for free on my Twitter feed!
cakravothy

Merit: 501

Chainjoes.com

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2016, 11:15:35 PM

Finally, you can experience the pre-distribution linking of Byteball and Bitcoin addresses.

We are launching a new testnet, and you'll be able to get a portion of its distribution in proportion to your balance in Bitcoin testnet.

0.  Get your Bitcoin testnet wallet ready and funded.

1.  Download and install the wallet for the new Byteball testnet: https://github.com/byteball/byteball/releases
You will have two Byteball wallets - one for the old testnet that you already have, the other for the upcoming new testnet.

You have two options to prove your Bitcoin balance:
a.  By making a micropayment.  The bot will see your address the payment came from, will know that it is your address, and will instruct you to move your Bitcoins to this address.  By making several micropayments, you can link several Bitcoin addresses to the same Byteball address.
b.  By signing a message (if your Bitcoin wallet supports this function).  You tell the bot your Bitcoin address and sign your Byteball address with the Bitcoin address.  After you prove one address (a typical Bitcoin wallet has dozens of them), you can either move all your coins to this single proven address or prove all other addresses in the same way -- by signing a message.

Update: to clarify, if you try to link the same Bitcoin address to multiple Byteball addresses, only the last linking counts.

If you prove by micropayment, remember to check that the Bitcoin address that the bot received the micropayment from, is indeed your address.  An attacker might see your payment on the blockchain and repeat the same micropayment from his address trying to trick you to move your funds to him.

Please retweet https://twitter.com/ByteballOrg/status/796810412935282688

so distribution coin only use testnet wallet
and how much to must deposit bitcoin, or only small bitcoin can get same deposit big bitcoin
but you say you'll be able to get a portion of its distribution in proportion to your balance in Bitcoin testnet
if iam big deposit bitcoin, my bitcoin balance in testnet wallet can use transaction or send another bitcoin addres or not
thank you

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
CHAIN JOES
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
|
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
📝
5ato5hi8itcoin

Activity: 172
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 24, 2016, 11:18:34 PM

just waiting for the launch byteball december later, yeah least test the wallet and looks pretty good Smiley
pwpwpw

Activity: 908
Merit: 503

View Profile
November 25, 2016, 12:25:35 AM

can we link our btc wallet now (and then empty it) or need to wait till the 1st block on dec 25 ?

ParmaBTC
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2016, 10:14:24 AM

can we link our btc wallet now (and then empty it) or need to wait till the 1st block on dec 25 ?

I think you can link your BTC wallet whenever you want until 25 december, you can empty and fullfil how many times you want, but on dec 25th it must be full. Otherwise you'll don't receive any byte
BALIK
Copper Member

Activity: 2058
Merit: 591

🍓 BALIK Never DM First

View Profile
November 25, 2016, 12:51:31 PM

Can somebody help me, after I click the link to chat with the Transition Bot there is nothing happens?
I though it's only on firefox but when I try it on chrome it's still nothing happens?

I open the byteball wallet but it's still nothing happens?

tonych (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2016, 03:02:15 PM

Can somebody help me, after I click the link to chat with the Transition Bot there is nothing happens?
I though it's only on firefox but when I try it on chrome it's still nothing happens?

Did you install the TN version of the wallet?  https://github.com/byteball/byteball/releases
There are two testnets now, and two separate wallets.

Simplicity is beauty
freezal

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 25, 2016, 03:15:44 PM
Last edit: February 06, 2017, 11:30:05 AM by freezal

EDIT: correction on line starting with "PATH"
EDIT: CORRECTION: Gateway is where --> Worskstation is where

Hi tonych,
Is there a way to run byteball client throw TOR (ex: a proxy settings, as bitcoin core has, to point network traffic locally to TOR)?
I understand that byteball encrypts communications with its network (does this include communications to your servers during link bitcoin process?) but any byteball node could save user's ip (see how bitcoin explorers, ex: blockchain.info, shows originating ip for each transaction even knowing bitcoin doesn't save ip on its blockchain) and also byteball could save it during the link bitcoin process (not saying that you will, or even that if you would that you'd share it, but we all know that restricting access to malicious parties is very, very hard).
Privacy and even anonymity is very important specially when money is involved because evil parties can do incredible harmful things with information like ip, amounts, address and etc.  Byteball may become very valuable in the future and every cautionary measure is advisable from now on.
In order to test byteball with TOR I tried to run byteball inside whonix (it comes as two virtualbox debian linux guests with a scheme where all network communication goes only throw TOR without any special configuration) but unfortunately whonix is only available for debian 32 bits and byteball binaries for linux are only available on 64 bits (could you please think in offering it in 32 bits for linux too?).
I also tried to run byteball inside whonix by not using your 64 bit binaries and but instead getting sources from github and installing as per yours instructions there, but after fixing some problem and have it finally installed, it didn't run ok. But I think the problem were unrelated to TOR (I will try again the whole process and come back later with more details if needed.  For now could you please tell which specific version of NW is advisable to this intent as I found instructions somewhat cryptic?).

Unfortunately I have little experience with TOR and can't help much here,

Ok.  Unfortunately I'm too, apart from cursory knowledge as a user.

but it will be interesting if you update about your efforts to run Byteball through TOR.

See bellow.

All communications are end-to-end encrypted but the IPs are visible of course.  

Note that during linking process you do not communicate with the Transition Bot directly, you communicate through a hub, so the bot doesn't see your IP while the hub sees the IP but doesn't see the communication as it is encrypted.  Since I run both the bot and the only hub in the network, I can still match their data to determine your IP (which I'm not going to do).  Asking you to run your own hub would be too much I'm afraid.

Maybe.  Let's talk about that afterwords, with some documentation I could try.
I certainly don't have a dedicated box with proper throughput to contribute the network right now.

Yes, you can build for linux32 yourself with very little tweaking, I recommend NW.js version 0.14.7.

I tried again to run byteball on whonix installing from sources and it seams it worked. Kinda, it needs more tests.
I installed it.  It started ok.  I choose full node.  It synchronized with the network until 100%.
What is left is to test to send and receive byteballs and blackbytes (see bellow).
I don't know if by perfectly synchronizing it has exercised all network protocols and corners to determine success.
@tonych, see bellow some problems and temporary fixes I've done.

Description for whoever is interested in how to run byteball throw TOR:

I know 3 ways to run software throw TOR

1) Installing TOR, starting TOR service and using application proxy configuration to point to a sock port where TOR is listening and letting it route traffic to its network.
It seams currently there isn't a way to do that.

2) Using an utility to create a wrapper around your binary which captures all network traffic forcing it throw TOR, in a process know as torrification.  I've never done that and don't know if it could work.

3) By using whonix, which comes as two virtualbox guest debian 32bit + KDE (gateway and workstation) ready to run.  Gateway which can only connect to the internet via TOR.  Workstation which cannot connect to internet in any way and can only connect to the gateway.  Workstation is where you run your unmodified software which can only go throw TOR.

I'm only describing the third option here.

- virtualbox host is linux

- virtualbox guest is whonix (32 bit debian + KDE)

- download and import both whonix appliances on virtualbox

- start gateway and workstation virtual machines

- on both gateway and workstation:
> sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

- restart both gateway and workstation

- on workstation (those are build and runtime dependencies I've determined are needed):
> sudo apt-get install git build-essential libnss3 libexif12

- go to a base directory (/home/user/byteball/test-whonix in my case)
> cd /home/user/byteball/test-whonix

- get byteball source (we can't use byteball binaries which are 64 bits)
> git clone https://github.com/byteball/byteball.git

- download and uncompress node.js binaries for linux 32 bits (node-v5.11.1-linux-x86.tar.gz - this version is the corresponding version for NW.js used this time)
- directory /home/user/byteball/test-whonix/software/node-v5.11.1-linux-x86 (in my case) will be created

- download and uncompress NW.js binaries for linux 32 bits (nwjs-v0.14.7-linux-ia32.tar.gz)
- directory /home/user/byteball/test-whonix/software/nwjs-v0.14.7-linux-ia32 (in my case) will be created

- place this in your .bashrc or equivalent and reopen your terminal (this is to let you run previously installed node.js and NW.js everywhere)
PATH="/home/user/byteball/test-whonix/software/node-v5.11.1-linux-x86/bin:/home/user/byteball/test-whonix/software/nwjs-v0.14.7-linux-ia32:$PATH"

- go to byteball sources
> cd /home/user/byteball/test-whonix/byteball

> npm install -g bower
> npm install -g grunt-cli
> bower install
> npm install
> grunt

- to start byteball client do this: (but wait, because we have to fix 2 problems before running client; read bellow)
> nw .

At his point if you start the client and  after agreeing with user terms, it will close with this message on console:

module.js:365
    throw err;
    ^
Error: Cannot find module '/home/user/byteball/test-whonix/byteball/node_modules/sqlite3/lib/binding/node-webkit-v0.14.inux-ia32/node_sqlite3.node'
    at Function.Module._resolveFilename (module.js:363:15)
    at Function.Module._load (module.js:309:25)
    at Module.require (module.js:391:17)
    at require (internal/module.js:20:19)
    at Object.<anonymous> (/home/user/byteball/test-whonix/byteball/node_modules/sqlite3/lib/sqlite3.js:4:15)
    at Module._compile (module.js:437:34)
    at Object.Module._extensions..js (module.js:452:10)
    at Module.load (module.js:381:32)
    at Function.Module._load (module.js:338:12)
    at Module.require (module.js:391:17)- now, this will start byteball client

I could see that there isn't any /home/user/byteball/test-whonix/byteball/node_modules/sqlite3/lib/binding/node-webkit-v0.14.7-linux-ia32

The directory there is named /home/user/byteball/test-whonix/byteball/node_modules/sqlite3/lib/binding/node-v47-linux-ia32

So, I renamed the directory there from node-v47-linux-ia32 to node-webkit-v0.14.7-linux-ia32

Maybe a bug here? a hardcoded name in the client?

Maybe a relevant information loged on terminal during "npm install" fase.  It couldn't download sqlite3 and have to build.

make: Leaving directory '/mnt/mymnt/byteball/test-whonix/byteball/node_modules/secp256k1/build'

> sqlite3@3.1.8 install /mnt/mymnt/byteball/test-whonix/byteball/node_modules/sqlite3
> node-pre-gyp install --fallback-to-build

node-pre-gyp ERR! Tried to download(403): https://mapbox-node-binary.s3.amazonaws.com/sqlite3/v3.1.8/node-v47-linux-ia32.tar.gz
node-pre-gyp ERR! Pre-built binaries not found for sqlite3@3.1.8 and node@5.11.1 (node-v47 ABI) (falling back to source compile with node-gyp)
make: Entering directory '/mnt/mymnt/byteball/test-whonix/byteball/node_modules/sqlite3/build'

Anyway, after that it stops crashing.

Now, after choosing light or full node the following message appears on client

<exclamation icon> Uncaught exception: Error: failed to write desktop file: Error: ENOENT: no such file or directory, open '/home/user/.local/share/applications/byteball-test.desktop'
and an OK button that when pressed close the client

I could determined that the '/home/user/.local/share/applications' directory were missing.  

Then I created it manually and next time I start (nw .) the client it works and start synchronizing.

It took me 2 hours yesterday to sync to completion which seemed very good if as it seems we are going throw TOR, afaik.

Last week it took about 8 hours to fully synchronizing running your 64 bit binary on a 64 bit ubuntu virtualbox guest on the same host (so, clear internet).

I also noticed that % of syncing indicator would be struck for some time and only advance when I give focus to another window and click back on client window.

Today I start the client again and it caught up syncing as expected.

Now, I couldn't test sending and receiving test byteballs because I couldn't obtain any.

Using Tor Browser (firefox) I get the following messagem when I click on "After installing, click this link to receive free bytes to play with" link.

"The address wasn't understood"

The information on address bar was: byteball-test:<meaningless-string-here>@byteball.org/bb#0000

Then I installed chromium (sudo apt-get install chromium) to try that again and when I click the link nothing happens.

Note: the same happened last week using byteball binary.

I tried to create a bash script named byteball-test in byteball directory (which I inclueded in the PATH) that call the client but it didn't help.

I don't know if its relevant but the content of byteball-test.desktop created by the client is:

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Version=1.0
Name=byteball-test
Comment=A wallet for decentralized value
Exec=/home/user/byteball/test-whonix/software/nwjs-v0.14.7-linux-ia32/nw %u
Icon=/home/user/byteball/test-whonix/software/nwjs-v0.14.7-linux-ia32/public/img/icons/icon-white-outline.iconset/icon_256x256.png
Terminal=false
Categories=Office;Finance;
MimeType=x-scheme-handler/byteball-test;
X-Ubuntu-Touch=true
X-Ubuntu-StageHint=SideStage

Thank you very much.

EDIT: correction on line starting with "PATH"
EDIT: CORRECTION: Gateway is where --> Worskstation is where
kaicrypzen

Activity: 1344
Merit: 656

View Profile
November 25, 2016, 04:01:37 PM

so distribution coin only use testnet wallet

For now, yes. In early December, you'll be able to link a real Bitcoin address to be part of the distribution that'll occur on the 25th.

and how much to must deposit bitcoin, or only small bitcoin can get same deposit big bitcoin

You'll get bytes in proportion to your balance, as long as it's not empty it is fine.

but you say you'll be able to get a portion of its distribution in proportion to your balance in Bitcoin testnet

Yes, on the 30th of November you'll get test bytes in proportion to the balances of the linked Bitcoin testnet addresses. (That is all for testing).

if iam big deposit bitcoin, my bitcoin balance in testnet wallet can use transaction or send another bitcoin addres or not

If you are asking if you can move your funds before the distribution, the answer is yes, however you should make sure the linked addresses have funds on the day of the distribution.

thank you

You are welcome.

I think you can link your BTC wallet whenever you want until 25 december, you can empty and fullfil how many times you want, but on dec 25th it must be full. Otherwise you'll don't receive any byte

For the real distribution the linking will start in early December.

BALIK
Copper Member

Activity: 2058
Merit: 591

🍓 BALIK Never DM First

View Profile
November 25, 2016, 06:49:35 PM

Did you install the TN version of the wallet?  https://github.com/byteball/byteball/releases
There are two testnets now, and two separate wallets.
Ow, I did not saw that there are two wallets, btw it's ok now, thank you sir.

tonych (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2016, 07:43:52 PM

Thank you for very detailed description, it'll be helpful for anybody who wants to run Byteball through TOR too!

I could see that there isn't any /home/user/byteball/test-whonix/byteball/node_modules/sqlite3/lib/binding/node-webkit-v0.14.7-linux-ia32

The directory there is named /home/user/byteball/test-whonix/byteball/node_modules/sqlite3/lib/binding/node-v47-linux-ia32

So, I renamed the directory there from node-v47-linux-ia32 to node-webkit-v0.14.7-linux-ia32

This is how node-sqlite under nw.js is to be installed, I had to do similar step on all platforms.

I could determined that the '/home/user/.local/share/applications' directory were missing.
Do you remember what parts of the path were missing?
It should be a problem on fresh installs, my ubuntu already had the path when I first tried.

It took me 2 hours yesterday to sync to completion which seemed very good if as it seems we are going throw TOR, afaik.

Last week it took about 8 hours to fully synchronizing running your 64 bit binary on a 64 bit ubuntu virtualbox guest on the same host (so, clear internet).

Since you were building from sources, you used the latest version.  We did a few optimizations in the last few days that improved performance about 10x (and still doing more optimizations).  2 hours still looks too good, I guess you are on SSD drive?

Using Tor Browser (firefox) I get the following messagem when I click on "After installing, click this link to receive free bytes to play with" link.

The information on address bar was: byteball-test:<meaningless-string-here>@byteball.org/bb#0000

Please can you check mimeinfo.cache in your ~/.local/share/applications?
It should list protocol handler for byteball-test: links.
As a workaround, you can copy the link from the website and paste it into the wallet at Menu -> Paired devices -> Add new -> Accept Invitation.

Simplicity is beauty
valley365

View Profile
November 26, 2016, 01:07:31 AM

So when the main net will be launched, you will release new version of Byteball right? Just wondering why you release different versions? It would be easier with the same version and just have a config file defining whether it is testnet or not, so people can just upgrade the same software.
freezal

View Profile
November 26, 2016, 11:04:16 AM

Thank you for very detailed description, it'll be helpful for anybody who wants to run Byteball through TOR too!

Yes. My pleasure.

This is how node-sqlite under nw.js is to be installed, I had to do similar step on all platforms.

Do you remember what parts of the path were missing?
It should be a problem on fresh installs, my ubuntu already had the path when I first tried.

/home/user/.local/share was there and had several subdirs, but 'applications' directory was missing and was the one I created manually.
Yes, maybe a problem with fresh installs.  If you have control at this level, better create this dir if it doesn't exit yet.

Since you were building from sources, you used the latest version.  We did a few optimizations in the last few days that improved performance about 10x (and still doing more optimizations).  2 hours still looks too good, I guess you are on SSD drive?

Great improvement!
I have SSD and a big HD, but those virtualbox machines reside on the HD.
I will try to build from sources in another virtualbox with ubuntu guest and clear internet and see the time to sync it'll take, so we can compare basicaly clear net with TOR.

Please can you check mimeinfo.cache in your ~/.local/share/applications?
It should list protocol handler for byteball-test: links.

This is the content of that file (seams ok?):
[MIME Cache]
x-scheme-handler/byteball-test=byteball-test.desktop;

As a workaround, you can copy the link from the website and paste it into the wallet at Menu -> Paired devices -> Add new -> Accept Invitation.

Yes this works and I've got my test byteballs an blakbytes.
I will test the wallet and report later.

Thanks.
freezal

View Profile
November 26, 2016, 07:18:21 PM

Great improvement!
I have SSD and a big HD, but those virtualbox machines reside on the HD.
I will try to build from sources in another virtualbox with ubuntu guest and clear internet and see the time to sync it'll take, so we can compare basicaly clear net with TOR.

Today I builded byteball from source on an ubuntu 64 bit virtualbox guest (clear internet) using node.js 64 bit and NW.js 64 bit.  The host was the same (a good desktop with good internet).
It synchronized to completion in 1 h 45 min and byteball.sqlite ended with 522 Mb.

Yesterday on the same host and whonix 32 bit virtualbox guest (presumably throw TOR) it was 2 h to completion and and byteball.sqlite ended with 518 Mb.
Pages: « 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 ... 1126 »
  Print  

Jump to: