Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 02:00:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 [110] 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 ... 2137 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Swedish ASIC miner company kncminer.com  (Read 3049457 times)
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2013, 08:56:55 AM

Looks like ORSoC is fully behind KnCMiner: http://se.linkedin.com/in/johanrilegard

Current
CEO / Founder at ORSoC
Co-Founder at KnCMiner AB
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoinorama

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 09:17:51 AM

I'll ask this again since the topic of ORSoC is on the table.   Why has no one mentioned that they have not delivered on their crowd funded OpenRISC ASIC?

They have; https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=228068.0

Make my day! Say thanks if you found me helpful Smiley BTC Address --->
1487ThaKjezGA6SiE8fvGcxbgJJu6XWtZp
dan99

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 04:33:44 PM

one question for bitcoinrama

are you on their payroll?

Nope. I just spent ages weighing up the odds on who to place my bets with.

Originally like most I considered BFL. The issue was the competitive advantage and the volume of pre-orders they had at that point, plus growing distrust and no proven prototype (at that point). Actually now to be fair as well as I would only have been interested in the 60gh/s machines (x4).

I had the option of purchasing the Avalon batch 3's. Literally email pinged the moment they released them and I had the chance of being in the 300. I turned down the opportunity as the price wasn't known until that point and it was multiples of before. Plus as we know BFL were *just about* to ship...Wink

I looked around at other offers specifically asicrigs.com, not that I took them seriously, but they were in the UK so I would have paid on pick up in person (I had them agree to this)...but knew too well it was a scam. I had some great fun busting Cedartec and a couple of others, so by the time KnC were claiming to be serious I was in full anti-scam mode. Thing is they started checking out, ORSoC was the biggy...since then I've performed a tonne of research, as of course have others here, in a variety of confidence. I chose to stay optimistic, and have studied product design (BSc) and engineering design (MSc), so I appreciate the itterative process involved in bringing a product to fruition. I had quite a bit of emailing back and fourth and Sam always responded quickly and knowledgabley. Unlike the aforementioned scams it wasn't BS either, he clearly and confidently gave me straight answers and no curve balls.

The Avalon bulk chips were announced and whilst that seems great the issue I have here is the logistics in DIYers splitting and sending respective chip orders to various unknown intermediaries and prioritising their preferred associates. I couldn't confidently see myself with a working ASIC miner (even if the DIY route does work without snags) in an appropriate time and there's too many potential weak links in the chain for my comfort. Actually Terrahash look good, but they're state-side which means crazy import duties for me (UK). I don't think a lot of Butterfly Labs UK buyers have really thought this through properly, the UK's import duty for outside the EU changed last year, there is now an additional stealth levy of 9% on the total cost once the 20% VAT is added for purchases above £130!! Which basically means every mining device from the US.

By this point in any case we all now knew 60-70 gh/s wouldn't have long term use, but would be great for right now. Fact was for me at least it wasn't about to happen right now, and even though Avalon had proven themselves to have working kit, the price upgrade put me off and made me question their intentions. In some ways I'm lucky I had doubts, as they wouldn't have arrived as promised by now anyway!

The KnC route fit my budget, and they are based close by in Europe so I can check them out. Which obviously I am about to for that money! In addition they started throwing the FPGA idea around so I started pressing the Litecoin FPGA idea off the back of reading a Blockburner's thread. I've spoken to him a fair bit and it seemed like a wayy better ROI, but Bitcoin is the dominant cryptocurrency. In any case KnC have promised to revisit that idea, so I'm happy there.

Question is would I like to be on their Payroll? Sure why not, I find this cryptocurrency mining development really interesting. With respect to how I've approached this thread, I've just been helpful to those that are cool and share research and ideas, a little less polite sometimes to those that are too lazy to research and most importantly take responsibility to research themselves, and shot down the trolling shite as it's turned up with no useful purpose. I hope I have been helpful, but trust me it's been for my gain as much as anyone else's!

I probably bullied Daggeto and JohnyJ into attending the openday and asking questions bit too much though, haha!

In any case my confidence, positivity, optimism whatever is nothing to base your decision on, always do our own research. This may as well become a signature now, but the above probably needs a disclaimer in any case!

Edit: another factor i forgot to include was the almost doubling of price and reduction in power BFL revised at the beg of April. I had waited after reading the forums for a while (both BFL and here as a non-member) to see a prototype from them before ordering. I saw the Jalepeno for all of a handful of days before the price increase, but didn't purchase then because I hadn't seen proof of a real multi-chip configuration aside Avalon. Jalepeno evidence does not equal Single SC evidence and how right I was. I still had some itchy feet, the price increase solidified it. For me the KnC choice boils down to this; verifiable background (LinkedIN), video, communications, credit card payment, ORSoC reputation and proximity close enough for me to physically meet and check out those responsible personally, additionally verified by other independent third parties as well (Daggeteo, JohnyJ, 600Watt, et al.).

Couldn't agreed more
KS

Activity: 448

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 06:41:51 PM

So what's the backup plan if this doesn't pan out? Pitchforks?
Korbman
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 07:14:44 PM

So what's the backup plan if this doesn't pan out?

It's the same plan as when bASIC failed...try to get refunds, complain, and then ultimately walk away and fall back to BFL/Avalon/ASICMiner.

600watt
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 2106

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 07:32:48 PM

cui bono ?
the people bitching about knc hate those hashing monsters because they invested in avalon chips or else. if they keep people from buying from knc it pays out. i was about to order big time avalon chips when i stumbled across knc. i decided - in the last moment - to switch. what would my feelings be if i had ordered a few days earlier ? would i hate them... or me?   (on the other hand: i should actually not defend knc. the less they sell, the better for me, since i already did order  )

it is incredible though how soft the community is about avalon and how hatefull some are towards knc. i am invested in avalon batch III and i ordered 500 avalon chips and i regret batch III

in a way the competiteveness of the asic miner producers stains through to us - the customers. keep that in mind while enjoying this show.
(i posted this in the kncminer open day first)
matt4054
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1035

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 07:41:12 PM

If someone has enough cash to buy a Saturn 1-500 or Jupiter 1-500 until Monday 6pm (deadline given by Sam for paying pre-orders), I have an ongoing auction for queue slot #335 with a quantity up to 4, ending in just over two hours now, highest bid is currently at 4.5 BTC.

If I had enough cash, I would use the pre-order myself...
KS

Activity: 448

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 08:20:07 PM

cui bono ?
the people bitching about knc hate those hashing monsters because they invested in avalon chips or else. if they keep people from buying from knc it pays out. i was about to order big time avalon chips when i stumbled across knc. i decided - in the last moment - to switch. what would my feelings be if i had ordered a few days earlier ? would i hate them... or me?   (on the other hand: i should actually not defend knc. the less they sell, the better for me, since i already did order  )

it is incredible though how soft the community is about avalon and how hatefull some are towards knc. i am invested in avalon batch III and i ordered 500 avalon chips and i regret batch III

in a way the competiteveness of the asic miner producers stains through to us - the customers. keep that in mind while enjoying this show.

And Bitfury finally announced his ASICs. 2x better hashrate than BFL AND releasing specs for DIY. (waiting on pricing...)

Just waiting on someone to actually deliver sth. Avalon was the best bet, now the game is on for an August release by multiple parties.

Good times.
Bitcoinorama

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 08:28:48 PM

cui bono ?

And Bitfury finally announced his ASICs. 2x better hashrate than BFL AND releasing specs for DIY. (waiting on pricing...)

Just waiting on someone to actually deliver sth. Avalon was the best bet, now the game is on for an August release by multiple parties.

Good times.

Bit Fury's actually offering test chips for dev's and those with test facilities, as for reasons I forget now, he is unable to test certain aspects himself. It is a pretty strong sign he is serious though...

cheech300

Activity: 330
Merit: 252

NEIN, ICH BIN DER BITCOIN!

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 08:46:12 PM

cui bono ?

+1

Everybody candoo what ever he want's to do!
And i did it!!
titomane

Activity: 389

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 08:55:05 PM

cui bono ?

Good times.

Bit Fury's actually offering test chips for dev's and those with test facilities, as for reasons I forget now, he is unable to test certain aspects himself. It is a pretty strong sign he is serious though...

Bitfury has several drawbacks:
Only sold in Russia.
Who is going to Russia to claim something.
In its favor:
Metabank.ru part of the project, the web is more important to change Russian bitcoins.

Bitcoinorama

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 09:04:15 PM

cui bono ?

Good times.

Only sold in Russia.
In its favor:
Metabank.ru part of the project, the web is more important to change Russian bitcoins.

There are many weak links in the Bitfury distribution chain for interested parties outside of Russia.  Don't blame him directly for not wanting to deal with the hassle of customs and customer complaints, but he is offering test chips for devs/DIY hackers outside of Russia, which goes a long way to confirming his intent.

BTW *may have a Jupiter 1-500 guaranteed pre-order (#250), and def have a Saturn guaranteed pre-order (#33) available. If anyone is interested PM me by tomorrow night. It can go towards travel expense/poss hotel of I chose to spend a night in Stockholm. If not come Monday eve it can just mean everyone else gets to shift a spot forward in each item...don't have a price in mind, just best bid by the time I make a final private message check wins, make sure you can pay KnC for Monday though.

600watt
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 2106

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 09:06:04 PM

cui bono ?

Good times.

Only sold in Russia.
In its favor:

There are many weak links in the Bitfury distribution chain for interested parties outside of Russia.  Don't blame him directly for not wanting to deal with the hassle of customs and customer complaints, but he is offering test chips for devs/DIY hackers outside of Russia, which goes a long way to confirming his intent.

BTW *may have a Jupiter 1-500 guaranteed pre-order (#250), and def have a Saturn guaranteed pre-order (#33) available. If anyone is interested PM me by tomorrow night. It can go towards travel expense/poss hotel of I chose to spend a night in Stockholm. If not come Monday eve it can just mean everyone else gets to shift a spot forward in each item...don't have a price in mind, just best bid by the time I make a final private message check wins, make sure you can pay KnC for Monday though.

you don´t buy knc ?
Bitcoinorama

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 09:30:47 PM

cui bono ?
the people bitching about knc hate those hashing monsters because they invested in avalon chips or else. if they keep people from buying from knc it pays out. i was about to order big time avalon chips when i stumbled across knc. i decided - in the last moment - to switch. what would my feelings be if i had ordered a few days earlier ? would i hate them... or me?   (on the other hand: i should actually not defend knc. the less they sell, the better for me, since i already did order  )

Good times.

Only sold in Russia.
In its favor:

There are many weak links in the Bitfury distribution chain for interested parties outside of Russia.  Don't blame him directly for not wanting to deal with the hassle of customs and customer complaints, but he is offering test chips for devs/DIY hackers outside of Russia, which goes a long way to confirming his intent.

you don´t buy knc ?

I shall buy KnC, almost for sure dependant on how I feel come Monday. I've always said that.

Just I was as enthusiastic with my pre-order selection and as I've also said, I'm not getting myself into debt over this. I can afford 1, maybe 2 Jupiters, but not interested in the Saturn for sure.  There are many unknowns though.

When at university and performing experimental design you have to acknowledge internal and external validity.

Internal validity refers to the factors you have some control over. So in this case; choosing the company I have most confidence in, what lengths can be accomplished in validating who is behind this and what their capabilities, experience is, payment choice, likely weak links in the chain I can foresee with a certain confidence that KnC has control over.

External validity refers to the actors outside of our control, what the known competition is doing and by when they will actually achieve it, what the unknown competition is doing and when it will happen, third party supplier hiccups, force majeure, etc.

Weighing up the pros and cons and the fact I'd rather spend money on meeting them then buying a second Jupiter having not met them and feeling comfortable about that kind of money. I'd rather have some cash fund free as a float. I may even need it as an emergency, and that is more important than going all out throwing all my money at this and getting into debt.

A couple of months back I had some more funds available, but I'm owed money by a former employer still so I'm not about to have delusions of grandeur and bet everything as some people have claimed to do. That's dumb. I'm not risking more than I can afford to, and I want to be comfortable about it!

Also visiting Sweden for just 12 hours seems a bit of a waste, wouldn't mind a day there...

Bitcoinorama

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 09:35:58 PM
Last edit: June 08, 2013, 09:58:01 PM by Bitcoinorama

cui bono ?
the people bitching about knc hate those hashing monsters because they invested in avalon chips or else. if they keep people from buying from knc it pays out. i was about to order big time avalon chips when i stumbled across knc. i decided - in the last moment - to switch. what would my feelings be if i had ordered a few days earlier ? would i hate them... or me?   (on the other hand: i should actually not defend knc. the less they sell, the better for me, since i already did order  )

Good times.

Only sold in Russia.
In its favor:

There are many weak links in the Bitfury distribution chain for interested parties outside of Russia.  Don't blame him directly for not wanting to deal with the hassle of customs and customer complaints, but he is offering test chips for devs/DIY hackers outside of Russia, which goes a long way to confirming his intent.

you don´t buy knc ?

I shall buy KnC, almost for sure dependant on how I feel come Monday. I've always said that. Why on earth would I travel all the way there otherwise?!!

Just I was as enthusiastic with my pre-order selection and as I've also said, I'm not getting myself into debt over this. I can afford 1, maybe 2 Jupiters, but not interested in the Saturn for sure.  There are many unknowns though.

When at university and performing experimental design you have to acknowledge internal and external validity.

Internal validity refers to the factors you have some control over. So in this case; choosing the company I have most confidence in, what lengths can be accomplished in validating who is behind this and what their capabilities, experience is, payment choice, likely weak links in the chain I can foresee with a certain confidence that KnC has control over.

External validity refers to the actors outside of our control, what the known competition is doing and by when they will actually achieve it, what the unknown competition is doing and when it will happen, third party supplier hiccups, force majeure, etc.

Weighing up the pros and cons and the fact I'd rather spend money on meeting them then buying a second Jupiter having not met them and feeling comfortable about that kind of money. I'd rather have some cash fund free as a float. I may even need it as an emergency, and that is more important than going all out throwing all my money at this and getting into debt. 5 years of Student debt's enough thanks!!

A couple of months back I had some more funds available, but I'm owed money by a former employer still so I'm not about to have delusions of grandeur and bet everything as some people have claimed to do. That's dumb. I'm not risking more than I can afford to, and I want to be comfortable about it!

Also visiting Stockholm for just 12 hours seems a bit of a waste, wouldn't mind a day there...

Tigggger
Legendary

Activity: 1098
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 10:11:04 PM

Bit Fury's actually offering test chips for dev's and those with test facilities, as for reasons I forget now, he is unable to test certain aspects himself.

It's to satisfy the terms of a bet that requires independent corroboration.

1krona

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 10:26:09 PM

one question for bitcoinrama

are you on their payroll?

Nope. I just spent ages weighing up the odds on who to place my bets with.

Have you seen proof of KNCMiner & ORSoC partnership? If such proof doesn't exist, chance is high you will (hopefully) learn important lession here.

Yes, if you haven't where the hell have you been?!

That's quite a statement to make considering you were trolling Terrahash earlier today with coincidentally as much informed knowledge before typing your thoughts...

+1
wow, what are the people doing here?.....and  i get attacked, when i try to sell spots because peoples say that i have 0.0 work for it....you have to spent  extremly many hours and weeks to know that all by reading and searching things about KNC....
very impressive

It is expectable you'll +1 Bitcoinrama and anyone saying KNCMiner is legit, after all you have a stake in the deal yourself with 3 order spots.

What will be impressive is amount of cries once hundreds of you without any scam alarm end up scammed. I'll be around to laugh on you hard.
In this video you can see Marcus Erlandsson from OrSoc and now also a part of KNCminer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foeBUcagT2s
Here is an old article from 2009 with Marcus where he is talking about opencores: http://www.idg.se/2.1085/1.229007/oppen-kallkod-for-kretsar-blir-nasta-linux

I would say that this company is the one with experience so far.
I dont have much bad to say about it yet, and hopefully wont have a reason to have that in the future either.
titomane

Activity: 389

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 10:57:22 PM

They seem honest when you talk to them.

rammy2k2
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 11:20:33 PM

but where are they now when everybody asks for info after their open day ?
DPoS

Activity: 462

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 11:46:53 PM

but where are they now when everybody asks for info after their open day ?

the point of an open day is to answer questions then get back to work ... not hang out on this forum bullshitting for the next 3 months

~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~Play Boardgames for Bitcoins!!~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~ Something I say help? Donate BTC! 1KN1K1xStzsgfYxdArSX4PEjFfcLEuYhid
Pages: « 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 [110] 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 ... 2137 »
  Print  

Jump to: