May 12, 2024, 08:47:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 14644 14645 14646 14647 14648 14649 14650 14651 14652 14653 14654 14655 14656 14657 14658 14659 14660 14661 14662 14663 14664 14665 14666 14667 14668 14669 14670 14671 14672 14673 14674 14675 14676 14677 14678 14679 14680 14681 14682 14683 14684 14685 14686 14687 14688 14689 14690 14691 14692 14693 [14694] 14695 14696 14697 14698 14699 14700 14701 14702 14703 14704 14705 14706 14707 14708 14709 14710 14711 14712 14713 14714 14715 14716 14717 14718 14719 14720 14721 14722 14723 14724 14725 14726 14727 14728 14729 14730 14731 14732 14733 14734 14735 14736 14737 14738 14739 14740 14741 14742 14743 14744 ... 33344 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26382377 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
julian071

Activity: 1132
Merit: 818

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 05:03:35 PM

Segwit gives the same capacity increase as your hard-fork,

Segwit is accounting fraud. It actually has higher bandwidth demand than a simple blocksize bump of equal effect.

Your post is linguistic and conceptual fraud.  There is nothing "simple" about a contentious hard fork.

Segwit is an elegant solution to numerous extant problems, and the opposite of Classic's hacky, kludgey, hamfisted, simpleton approach.

Thats about as intellectual as your arguments get.  Nice Core-Troll.

Just keep doing what your doing guys, what you call 'alts' are getting more and more attention and investment because of all these monkeys throwing shit at eachother. That's good for me because I own a bunch. Thanks again for keeping this argument going the way you do, much appreciated!!

Edit: +11% on my Ethereum today, mmmmmm nice!

Edit2: +22% on my NLG, nice!! =D
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ChartBuddy
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1776

1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 06:01:24 PM

Coin

Explanation
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 06:30:22 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1347.0

Applying this patch will make you incompatible with other Bitcoin clients.
+1 theymos.  Don't use this patch, it'll make you incompatible with the network, to your own detriment.

We can phase in a change later if we get closer to needing it.

I don't think Satoshi would be hip to these new implementations. There. I said it. Undecided
ImI
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1019

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 06:40:59 PM

core is reacting, they are firing up new nodes also. interesting battle we got here...
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 06:57:33 PM

core is reacting, they are firing up new nodes also. interesting battle we got here...

This onion has layers.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2v7pee/is_moneta_one_of_the_private_companies_working/
ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 07:01:22 PM

Coin

Explanation
sAt0sHiFanClub

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

Warning: Confrmed Gavinista

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2016, 07:19:22 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1347.0

Applying this patch will make you incompatible with other Bitcoin clients.
+1 theymos.  Don't use this patch, it'll make you incompatible with the network, to your own detriment.

We can phase in a change later if we get closer to needing it.

I don't think Satoshi would be hip to these new implementations. There. I said it. Undecided

What? Read down a few posts and he says this:

It can be phased in, like:

if (blocknumber > 115000)
    maxblocksize = largerlimit

It can start being in versions way ahead, so by the time it reaches that block number and goes into effect, the older versions that don't have it are already obsolete.

When we're near the cutoff block number, I can put an alert to old versions to make sure they know they have to upgrade.

Dont be a slacker, BMB!! 

BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 07:27:48 PM
Last edit: February 08, 2016, 12:23:17 AM by BlindMayorBitcorn

Thinking is difficult. Undecided
craked5

Activity: 840
Merit: 529

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 07:35:26 PM

Why is it important to have more nodes than the others altcoins?
In the end that's the miners who chose no?
blunderer

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 07:54:12 PM

S l e e p !
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 07:55:31 PM

Why is it important to have more nodes than the others altcoins?
In the end that's the miners who chose no?

Full nodes seem to have the upper hand in the relationship:

Full nodes download every block and transaction and check them against Bitcoin's core consensus rules. Here are examples of consensus rules, though there are many more:

Blocks may only create a certain number of bitcoins. (Currently 25 BTC per block.)
    Transactions must have correct signatures for the bitcoins being spent.
    Transactions/blocks must be in the correct data format.
    Within a single block chain, a transaction output cannot be double-spent.

If a transaction or block violates the consensus rules, then it is absolutely rejected, even if every other node on the network thinks that it is valid. This is one of the most important characteristics of full nodes: they do what's right no matter what. For full nodes, miners actually have fairly limited power: they can only reorder or remove transactions, and only by expending a lot of computing power. A powerful miner is able to execute some serious attacks, but because full nodes rely on miners only for a few things, miners could not completely change or destroy Bitcoin.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 10241

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 07:59:21 PM

I find it a bit curious that you want to suggest that I have arrived at my conclusion because I am "relatively new here." 

No slight intended. I formed the impression that you thought the discussion over the max block size was a recent phenomenon. I just meant to point out that it has been ongoing for years.

Fair enough.   

Surely, we will need to concede that the discussion of this matter intensified in about mid 2015 around the time that Gavin introduced XT – and some core developers understood the matter as being forced upon them.  At that point, even if  the discussion had been ongoing, presentations from the various camps became more heated, and trolls (and other seemingly anti-bitcoin folks and even those talking their short books) in these here forums began to take advantage of the disagreement to push a lot of FUD and to engage in a lot of exaggerated rhetoric regarding the supposed impending doom of bitcoin if it does not scale.

So, no matter what, even if the scaling discussion had been around for a while, it came to a much higher level of discussion, and even Gavin admitted that part of his purpose in introducing XT was to really light a fire under this matter… blah blah blah… which some rightly or wrongly understood as a form of extortion (or threat).

I'm not really taking sides, even though some people would assert that I am because I am not currently seeing an emergency need for some immediate increase in the block size limits, but I still believe, all in due time, and various efforts are being made to address some of these block size issues.. and even if some worse case scenarios (of continuously full blocks) were to take place, then at that point various emergency measures could be taken (whether temporary or permanent). 

The issue is that, once the lines intersect, growth is limited at the 'about 350,000' transactions a day level. The upward trending line of transactions a day flatlines - limited at the intersect to the system capacity. She can' take any more, cap'n'
Yes.  I mostly agree with the concept that you are describing to be one of apparent increasing block sizes and limited capacity; however, your trajectory assumes that nothing is being done or that there is no implementation before or during that time that can adequately address the situation. 

We are certainly not at your tragic point yet, and from what I can tell, it seems that we are quite a distance, still from that point.. whether it is a year or some other time frame, but even if we have been crossing into that point of congestion during current times, I have not been hearing too many convincing stories regarding any current problems (besides some anecdotal claims and seeming exaggerations of problems that are not really attributable to currently full blocks).  Too many ongoing exaggerations are being bandied about on an ongoing basis.

By 'trajectory' do you mean to denote the rate of growth in the transactions per day? For there is nothing that _can_ be done about this curve. It just is, and reflects all the multitudinous decisions that scores of independent actors arrive at in their usage of the blockchain. It is a reflection of the actual amount of use that people are getting out of Bitcoin.

I think when I am discussing my opinion about trajectory, I am saying something similar to Marcus of Augustus regarding the upward trajectory being elastic rather than inelastic.  I am a different person than him, but I thought that he described something similar to me in a much better way.

In essence, I am suggesting, like him, that hypothetically, if the blocksize were to stay at 1 megabyte, then the various inputs are going to adapt to that, and it will not cross and go over because there is a limit.  Surely, it may reach the maximum, and also,  it may cause numerous problems and delays, but those are yet somewhat unknown and hypothetical problems because we are not quite there yet.  Surely we can anticipate and project how the various actors are going to behave, but we cannot really know for sure without experiencing it.

Accordingly, there is nothing to be done about the trajectory. What we can do something about is the capacity for transactions per unit time.

Just because something can be done, does not mean that something has to be done right now, and it does not mean that the thing that you are suggesting “has to be done” in fact has to be done, either now or in the future.

I personally believe that more than 90 % of small blockers believe  that sooner or later the block size is going to need to be increased; however, must of the dispute likely pertains to the urgency of the need to do it right now and without engaging in other considerations first and potentially exploring other remedies that may address both the expanding number of transactions and preserve some of the advantages of small blocks for smaller (in terms of computing power) nodes.

Surely, I keep repeating this over and over that I am trying not to take any sides in this question because I really don’t care that much about whether the block size increases or not within the next week, within the next month or within the next five years, so long as the process for increasing the blocksize has been sufficiently vetted…

If at some point, it appears that a mistake was made, then I may need to leave bitcoin, or if a competitor is doing a better job, then I would migrate my funds over to that.. and surely, maybe some of us will be mourning various lost opportunities with bitcoin, but to some extent that we have to give into the dynamics of the masses and the dynamics of society in spite a large number of injustices and unfairnesses because some of those injustices are systemic… and we still need to live with some of the status quo injustices and adapt our lives accordingly.    Doesn’t mean that we may not complain, also, about a variety of the injustices existing in society… and try to figure out ways that we may have an impact in causing certain positive changes.

Sorry, I am straying a bit, but my point remains that black and white descriptions wear upon me as being exaggerations, and I see that there is a lot more going on in the space.  Surely something needs to be done to address  various short falls, but there is more than one solution, and I appreciate the dynamics of consensus, even though we get a lot of drama through that, too.

When should such a change come about? I would advocate ASAP.

You may be correct that there is some urgency in having various plans and attempting to address various issues related to the matter.  I have quite a few doubts that an immediate doubling of the blocksize is necessary because there are various relief plans in place already. 

Let’s say for example seg wit goes into effect in April/May and lightning network has some relief, there also may be other solutions along the way that cause some relief… and all of these facts could change the timeline.  On the contrary, increased users (and transactions as you suggested) could also cause pressures in the opposite direction to increase the blocksize.  Each of these inputs are a work in progress, and surely, increasing from 1 to 2 mb could be on the backburner, for example if there is an ongoing continuous delay in transactions or something like that… but currently, it appears that in the past 60 days the block size average has fluctuated largely between about 45 and 80%.

https://blockchain.info/charts/avg-block-size?timespan=60days&showDataPoints=false&daysAverageString=1&show_header=true&scale=0&address=

I’m no expert, and I just consider some of the information that I read, and in that regard,  surely seg wit seems to be capable of addressing some of the inefficiencies within that current 45-80% fluctuation to effectively bring the average down to below 45% on a regular basis… and even with expansion of bitcoin users and transactions, with the implementation of seg wit and maybe some other efficiency creation measures, there may be considerable abilities for the bitcoin network to continue to handle those increased transaction quantities with throughput of well under 60% for some time into the future.

Therefore, the math problem changes when the inputs and the capacity changes, so then the question remains regarding whether there is any real and meaningful urgency to increasing the block size when that may not be necessary and potentially incapacitating some of the smaller nodes? 

Incapacitating smaller nodes is no small cost in my thinking.

The 50% bet, based upon a 2x/year extrapolation, is somewhat less than a year. But what if we get a surge in adoption? For we don't know when the next great influx will arrive. If it happens next month, we will have scores of befuddled newcomers utterly unable to comprehend where there money disappeared to. With attendant widely-published horror stories. Which runs a very good chance of shunting these -- and future -- newcomers onto some other system. One without such a stupid artificial restriction.

The restriction is not stupid and artificial.

When people come into bitcoin, they come in for a variety of reasons, and if they are disappointed because bitcoin is something other than what they expected, then that is going to happen.

Surely, there can be some dangers when bitcoin is marketed by some as a replacement of visa, and really that is a bit of hyperbole.

Yes, bitcoin is complicated and people may not even understand what they are getting when they invest into bitcoin.

Even if bitcoin is not replacing visa, bitcoin remains very valuable to hold and transfer value, and yes maybe some day bitcoin will develop and transition to such an extent to be able to compete with and to replace visa.. yet I don’t see how that should be a short term goal.. and really a more important goal, at least in the short term, is probably preserving some of the peer to peer nature of bitcoin and the ability to avert various kind of government and financial institution controls over bitcoin is by allowing the network to grow more organically with community input (which frequently seems to be messy), and in the end, it is likely that bitcoin is going to become more and more capable of handling more and more users and there is also going to be more and more processing power that is going to be held by individuals while at the same time mining farms are going to continue to also be constructed around bitcoin and to potentially centralize it beyond individual inputs.

You may claim that nearly a year is enough time to work things out. And that is the ~50% probability (assuming the 2x per year is a good curve fit). But those who have been around this for a while know that this animal seems to get adopted in fits and starts. If we had a proportional spike like we did in Jul, or in Sep, or in Dec, the system could not handle the volume. Period. No capacity whatsoever. If it was a spike, the backlog would eventually clear out. But how would the newcomers feel about their money being in limbo for a month? And what if it would have been Bitcoin's eternal September - we would kill all prospects of an explosion in adoption like the Internet experienced in 1993.

It seems to me that when you describe more or less exacting timelines of a year or some impending soon time into the near future, that is an oversimplification to suggest that this is largely a math problem that a certain number of usages is going to bring us into this filled up capacity... 

I'm thinking you must have thought something other than you typed here. A certain number of usages will indeed "bring us into this filled up capacity". This is pure math. The consequences that fall out of such an event can be debated, but the capacity is the capacity. The math is the math. It ain't even sophisticated math. Simple elementary school arithmetic will suffice.

I don’t know.  I wrote what I wrote, and maybe sometimes, I am not being very clear in what I am saying.

And, even in this post that I am making now, I feel that I am being a bit repetitive in my presentation and even rambling somewhat.

In essence, I continue to challenge mathematical formulations of the problem as you seem to be frequently asserting.

I agree that there is math involved with bitcoin scaling and there are capacity issues that are limited by the blocksize.. yes, yes, yes,, but math is not the only thing at play in predicting what is going to happen regarding the blocksize limit or deciding what to do about the problem (if there is a problem) or when to do it, if at all. 

I am repetitively agreeing that measures need to be taken to consider and address the matter, but maybe continuing to vary in my assessment of the degree of the “problem.”

Yes, some evolving situations (whether expected or not) are going to cause a bit more senses of urgency regarding blocks fullness, but in the end, I feel fairly optimistic that the bitcoin blockchain is strong enough to survive a variety of attacks from a variety of angles... to adjust to the the attacks and to the overclogging, and likely bitcoin participants will also, from time to time, suffer from some delays in processing their transactions, here and there, and it will not be the end of the world or the end of bitcoin. 

First, the problem is not "a variety of attacks from a variety of angles". The problem is simple usage of Bitcoin, in the manner it was designed to be operated, absent a change in the max block size, is limited to 'about 350,000' transactions a day. Period. If more transactions than this are attempted, for a sustained period, those transactions will not be simply delayed. The excess over 'about 350,000' per day will never clear.

You seem to be a very reasonable and well articulated poster, and maybe your assertions in this above paragraph exemplifies the essence of our disagreement, and we really don’t need to belabor these points?

You are asserting never and absolutely and for sure and black and white.  I don’t agree, and when you attempt to phrase any technical issue that also includes at least social, political and economics, then you are approaching territories in which you are very likely to be wrong with your absolute assertions.  Sure, I will continue to listen to your arguments, and I don’t mind politely engaging with you from time to time, but in some sense, we just need to agree to disagree.. because our fundamental framework differs.. Maybe on some points, we will agree, and maybe with the passage of time and various unraveling of events one of us will come closer to the other in his perspective… and I don’t really have a problem with that.

Whether in real life or over these kinds of forums, I also don’t have a problem in dealing with people who frame matters more mathematical than I do; however, I sometimes will engage and point out flaws in the perspective, but sometimes, I will chose not to engage when it seems that the discussion is not really going anywhere or it is devolving too much into a non productive space.
ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 08:01:20 PM

Coin

Explanation
valta4065

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

Join @Bountycloud for the best bounties!

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 08:03:21 PM

^Dude! Cheesy

Don't know if you were reacting to the FUCKING LONG post of JayJean, but just in case:
Dude! Cheesy

Does anyone here wanna talk about the 20$ rise then down? Or we continue to talk about the size issue on which we have no power? ^^
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 08:07:02 PM

The guy tried his best to help fix a problem and was treated as shit for it.

Maybe he should have tried harder to write some actual code.

Wow!!!!! 

I like this.  It gives you an idea of the players and there contribution levels over time.

I wonder if it is accurate... ?

It is really difficult to measure some of the precise numbers of the lower contributors when Pieter Wuille has so much disproportional space on this particular chart...
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1007

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2016, 08:20:54 PM

You can't win, smallblockers. It doesn't matter who you DDoS or what other dirty tricks you pull, when the market tanks, the miners will switch to big block code.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 08:23:54 PM

I'd rather see some mayhem in this market first.
Let's bump the limit and see what happens.

Nobody wants to deal with this problem once this is a gazillion trillion market.
Bump this shit now, see what happens and act accordingly.

Just like you let your kids get all kinds of bacteria through playing with dirt and putting everything in their mouth.
Kids have to get sick first so they will be resilient as an adult.

If you prevent your kids to get sick by putting them in sterile surroundings, they'll die soon when they grow up...

^^The Truth.

Bitcoin ain't for kids.

Bitcoin is a kid, right now...

a 7 year old girl to be exact.

Maybe the analogy is more like a 2 or 3 year old boy...?

there seems to be quite a bit of infancy going on in this bitcoin space.

Also, I think that Findftp raises a decent point here.

There could be some need to just go along with the doubling of the capacity on a somewhat whimsical basis, and then to see what happens....

However, at this particular moment, it seems a bit too premature to actually go down such path when the "problem", if there is one, does not seem to be that urgent.

Surely, it may need to be the case to have some of that ability to double the network or to take other emergency measures in the event that it is really necessary to carry out.

I don't rule out the possibility of upward BTC price movement taking place even without any kind of immediate solution; however, no matter what there probably will be some kind of upward BTC price movement taking place as soon as there seems to be some kind of consensus based resolution to increase the blocksize (maybe a doubling, as proposed in Classic, or maybe some other variant that may evolve in the coming months). 

Another reason that a Classic-like solution seems SUPER premature is because such a solution has been proposed and discussed and agreed to, but from my understanding it is NO where near actual ability to be implemented - not even close to the impending closeness of the implementation of segwit.

JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 08:29:11 PM

It doesn't give the same capacity increases even in the best case scenario, which would be if everyone adopted it straight away.

Hard-fork gives nothing until everybody adopts it. Segwit gives benefits to anybody who wants higher capacity without needing to wait for anybody else.

For some transactions It gives much better capacity increase then hard-fork, for others its slightly smaller.

And off-course segwit provides numerous other benefits including ability to have real massive scaling solutions in future (payment channels, lightning network).

Hard-fork does 0 in that department.

Segwit is absolute win, win, win in every department.

Hard-fork is only being pushed by Gavin and coinbase propaganda because they are trying to take control of bitcoin.

You seem to have summed up the situation fairly well, at least the push for a hard fork by Gavin et al and coinbase does create a considerable impression that there is some kind of take over attempt and move away from the grass roots of bitcoin.
qwk
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 3411

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 08:45:23 PM

Probably. But the real question should be "is it meaningful"?
I wonder if the "lines of code" take into account the submittal of hundreds or thousand of lines of translations of interface text, for example.
E.g., Pieter merges a dutch language file and gets several thousand lines of code added to his "stats".

Edit, P.S.: see for example https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/commit/b1f031d43520825c9288dfbfb410b0065e6732a6
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 08:46:44 PM

Christ....I remember when this thread was about walls, trading, speculation and general 'doom' or 'moon'...now its just page after page of people talking incomprehensible blockchain bollox and petty politics.

There has always been some sort of crisis threatening the very existence of BTC, get used to it.

So, all the bed-wetters getting worked up about this: you do realise there are entire sections of this site devoted to these topics.  Perhaps you could all fuck off to those pages and stop boring everyone me to tears with your endless segwit, hardfork fuckwittery.

I haven't been seeing you around this thread too much in recent times, Nanobrain...

And, we certainly had several disagreements in the past.  hahahahahha   Wink

I do agree with your point about this scaling matter. 

This thread seems to be overly preoccupied with such matter, and surely there is some connection with walls and the price, but really a lot of these scaling discussions get to be way too much into the weeds about those side-tracked issues rather than wall and price speculation.

A couple of days ago, I was quite nervous that we were going to get a retest of $350.. Surely, such retest could still happen (because the price is quite within striking distance of such retest).  On the other hand, such a retest is not inevitable. 

You know I don't really buy into any assertions that the Chinese have any real and meaningful direct impact on BTC price movements, yet there could be some indirect effect and possibly even some stagnation in price movement in the coming week or so (due to the Chinese new years observation this week and the likely decrease in volume and decreased ability for the Chinese to move fiat around in the coming week).
Pages: « 1 ... 14644 14645 14646 14647 14648 14649 14650 14651 14652 14653 14654 14655 14656 14657 14658 14659 14660 14661 14662 14663 14664 14665 14666 14667 14668 14669 14670 14671 14672 14673 14674 14675 14676 14677 14678 14679 14680 14681 14682 14683 14684 14685 14686 14687 14688 14689 14690 14691 14692 14693 [14694] 14695 14696 14697 14698 14699 14700 14701 14702 14703 14704 14705 14706 14707 14708 14709 14710 14711 14712 14713 14714 14715 14716 14717 14718 14719 14720 14721 14722 14723 14724 14725 14726 14727 14728 14729 14730 14731 14732 14733 14734 14735 14736 14737 14738 14739 14740 14741 14742 14743 14744 ... 33344 »
  Print  

Jump to: