April 26, 2024, 10:45:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 19473 19474 19475 19476 19477 19478 19479 19480 19481 19482 19483 19484 19485 19486 19487 19488 19489 19490 19491 19492 19493 19494 19495 19496 19497 19498 19499 19500 19501 19502 19503 19504 19505 19506 19507 19508 19509 19510 19511 19512 19513 19514 19515 19516 19517 19518 19519 19520 19521 19522 [19523] 19524 19525 19526 19527 19528 19529 19530 19531 19532 19533 19534 19535 19536 19537 19538 19539 19540 19541 19542 19543 19544 19545 19546 19547 19548 19549 19550 19551 19552 19553 19554 19555 19556 19557 19558 19559 19560 19561 19562 19563 19564 19565 19566 19567 19568 19569 19570 19571 19572 19573 ... 33302 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26368114 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
bitserve
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1464

Self made HODLER ✓

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 10:08:43 AM
Merited by d_eddie (1)

Hmmm...came across this about a potential double spend attack. Seriously interesting and actually surprised this isnt a bigger deal.

Basically there is a chance that a miner(pool) would be able to match the entire hashrate of bcash and create a low risk/high reward double spend.

Julian, the Co-Founder of TenX explains it in this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cuImsvmSf4&feature=youtu.be

While some might argue that this is a bcash problem I disagree. This is an all crypto problem really. If such an attack can be carried out and funds exchanged from the double spend, it not only devalues the exchange but the crypts in question.

Exactly for that reason is that it has not happened and probably never will.

It is well known that in case a double spent attack like that would be carried out, the loses from the negative impact would be bigger than the potential profit for the attacker.

IIRC,  that is covered in the whitepaper, when it talks about the incentives for NOT acting maliciously.
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
rafanadal

Activity: 368
Merit: 31

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 10:33:13 AM

9k has proven to be a major resistance.
bitserve
Legendary

Self made HODLER ✓

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 10:34:28 AM

Yup. So you know what that means when it is finally broken Smiley

One thing I like about this (huge) correction is that we are testing all the levels we just passed on inertia/fomo during the final month of the last rally. And we are doing it the right way. If we were able to just forget about the final stage of the last rally (as if it never happened), it is as if we continued with a helthy growth rate after the last (11 nov) dip.

Oh, and without most weak hands too. We had loads of those before.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 10153

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 10:46:08 AM

One thing I like about this (huge) correction is that we are testing all the levels we just passed on inertia/fomo during the final month of the last rally. And we are doing it the right way. If we were able to just forget about the final stage of the last rally, it is as if we continued with a helthy growth rate after the last (11 nov) dip.

I don't want to forget about the last surge past $10k and up to $19,666.

I feel that I made pretty decent money on that because I was selling on the way up, and such price upsurge allowed me to generate a decent level of fiat in order that I have more bitcoin this time around (on the way back up).

Another reason that I don't want to forget about our last upward price surge is because such upward surge is likely demonstrating a more bullish upwards BTC price path than had previously been considered.  So the fact that BTC prices went up so fast and nearly effortlessly from $10k to $19,666 in a matter of a few weeks, showed a decently bullish upwards BTC price potential that clearly goes to $19k again, and also supports a case of $50k and $100k, when prior to passing $10k, talk of $50k and $100k was considered as too much fantasy.  No longer the case.
Last of the V8s
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 4392

Be a bank

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 10:47:56 AM

bitserve
Legendary

Self made HODLER ✓

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 10:50:33 AM

One thing I like about this (huge) correction is that we are testing all the levels we just passed on inertia/fomo during the final month of the last rally. And we are doing it the right way. If we were able to just forget about the final stage of the last rally, it is as if we continued with a helthy growth rate after the last (11 nov) dip.

I feel that I made pretty decent money on that because I was selling on the way up, and such price upsurge allowed me to generate a decent level of fiat in order that I have more bitcoin this time around (on the way back up).

Another reason that I don't want to forget about our last upward price surge is because such upward surge is likely demonstrating a more bullish upwards BTC price path than had previously been considered.  So the fact that BTC prices went up so fast and nearly effortlessly from $10k to $19,666 in a matter of a few weeks, showed a decently bullish upwards BTC price potential that clearly goes to $19k again, and also supports a case of $50k and $100k, when prior to passing $10k, talk of $50k and $100k was considered as too much fantasy.  No longer the case.

Pretty decent points indeed. Ok, we can consider it similar to what happened in november 2015 when it surged/"bubbled" to $500. Even if it quickly retraced, for me it was the signal that showed BTC was well alive and showed a glimpse of its future. But, even then, it needed to retrace and continue where it left with a healthier growth rate. And see where we are today Smiley
toknormal
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 10:53:34 AM
Last edit: February 14, 2018, 11:06:25 AM by toknormal
Merited by conspirosphere.tk (1)

such upward surge is likely demonstrating a more bullish upwards BTC price path

When a single corporate entity registered in the British Virgin Islands is responsible for cooking up worthless tokens out of nothing that account for 2/3rds of global volume then it's not a bad bet.

Better pray they don't stop printing. (And stay out of gaol !) Wink

https://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurrency/comments/7xae98/understanding_tether_why_it_accounts_for_a/

Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 11:01:14 AM

... when prior to passing $10k, talk of $50k and $100k was considered as too much fantasy.  No longer the case.

Our minds have been prepared now. Priming minds followed by the real thing works best.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 11:01:59 AM

Pretty decent points indeed. Ok, we can consider it similar to what happened in november 2015 when it surged/"bubbled" to $500. Even if it quickly retraced, for me it was the signal that showed BTC was well alive and showed a glimpse of its future. But, even then, it needed to retrace and continue where it left with a healthier growth rate. And see where we are today Smiley

Actually the comparison of the late 2015 is not a bad a bad comparison, even though that particular surge kind of demonstrates the whole beginning of this bull run, and now we are either continuing in the bull run or ending the bull run, and I think that the case for continuing the bull run is stronger, even though we could experience a 3 to 12 month delay.... and hopefully, more on the shorter end of this consolidation period... so yeah, considering the bull case scenario, which seems to be the more plausible one, we could experience quite a few ups and downs within a $7k to $18,500 range  for several months, and it seems that ups and downs within that range would not undermine the ongoing bull case scenario.

The bear case would likely involve a break below $7k which would have a pretty decently high likelihood of cascading us down to $5k and even dips down to $3k.. so that would be a more bearish scenario, and surely any bearish scenario would likely need to be accompanied by decently sized FUD and perhaps spam attacks and alt coin pumping that fools folks into some kind of belief that bitcoin is not king..... Another bearish scenario could come through a very large level of ICO/Alt coin collapse and/or crack down that could drag bitcoin down with it... yet the bull case does continue to seem as the more plausible one, at least currently... and even if such bull case drags out several months before returning to ATH striking distance.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 11:08:41 AM

such upward surge is likely demonstrating a more bullish upwards BTC price path

When a single corporate entity registered in the British Virgin Islands is responsible for cooking up worthless tokens out of nothing that account for 2/3rds of global volume then it's not a bad bet.

Better pray they don't stop printing. (And stay out of jail !) Wink

https://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurrency/comments/7xae98/understanding_tether_why_it_accounts_for_a/

Hasn't this horse been beaten to oblivion in the past 4-6 months?  Fuck, I seem to recall the beating of that horse further back, as well.  

We gots ourselves all kinds of stupid ass theories regarding the supposed bitcoin bubble, and yeah, it does not surprise me that you, toknormal want to include some of those exaggerated and FUDster talking points, since you seem to kind of specialize in those kinds of doom and gloom talking points.   Tongue Tongue   Roll Eyes    Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
toknormal
Legendary

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 11:14:42 AM

Hasn't this horse been beaten to oblivion in the past 4-6 months?  Fuck, I seem to recall the beating of that horse further back, as well.  

We gots ourselves all kinds of stupid ass theories regarding the supposed bitcoin bubble, and yeah, it does not surprise me that you, toknormal want to include some of those exaggerated and FUDster talking points

Hey, it's not rocket science. Wake tf up please.

This entire sector is about the trading of trustless assets. If you have a single corporate entity accounting for 2/3rds of the GLOBAL "fiat" volume (we're not just talking a single exchange here) you need to be on a high dose of delusionary cool-aid not to see an implicit major problem.

The reserve ratio doesn't matter. (Even if it did exist, which it clearly doesn't, no one keeps $2.2 billion sitting idly in a bank account anyway).

Far from being "beaten to death" it's slowly turning into the elephant in the room with which this market will be "beaten to death" sooner or later.
HairyMaclairy
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 2174

Degenerate bull hatter & Bitcoin monotheist

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 11:25:06 AM

Here’s the thing:

USDT is not just a bitcoin thing, it’s a pair across all crypto.

BTC and ETH pairs are still far bigger.  

Every trade on BFX is counted as a USDT trade, including people like me that have deposited real USD

XRP is bigger and just as much a shit coin

No one with half a brain actually believes it is backed anymore than Dai

So there are all sorts of confounding factors.  
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 11:31:53 AM
Merited by 600watt (1)

We gots ourselves all kinds of stupid ass theories regarding the supposed bitcoin bubble, and yeah, it does not surprise me that you, toknormal want to include some of those exaggerated and FUDster talking points

Hey, it's not rocket science. Wake tf up please.

O.k.  Mr.(s) brilliant.  

You do recall the chart of the size of tether as compared with all of the cryptos, correct?

I don't have the link right now, but anyhow tether is a very small fraction of this total crypto space, and don't act like you are the only fuck that happens to be woke, because like I said those dumb ass theories about Tether supposedly artificially pumping and supposedly bringing the whole thing down have been spouted off a lot by FUD spreaders, and the fact of the matter is that it had little to no effect on our current state of correction, which still seems to fall within the realms of normal market movements (even if a bit extreme in having had retraced down 70%, so far).

This entire sector is about the trading of trustless assets.

Get the fuck out of here with that.  There is all kinds of trust when we are dealing with a lot of exchanges.

We have no fucking dominant decentralized exchange system yet, and since MTGOX, began trading in 2010, there have been varying number of third parties who have been entrusted with private keys, and today, there are more than 200 exchanges that are mostly using custodial type models.. so get out of here with your strawman bullshit.

If you have a single corporate entity accounting for 2/3rds of the GLOBAL "fiat" volume (we're not just talking a single exchange here) you need to be on a high dose of delusionary cool-aid not to see an implicit major problem.

Sounds like you are exaggerating a bit here, buddy (and don't even attempt to proclaim that we are not buddies  Angry   Angry).

The reserve ratio doesn't matter. (Even if it did exist, which it clearly doesn't, no one keeps $2.2 billion sitting idly in a bank account anyway).

Who fucking cares?  You really believe that $2billion number is propping up the whole crypto space, or merely bitcoin?  I don't buy your premise (and the other nutjobs that are focusing so much on this supposed calamity waiting to happen).

Far from being "beaten to death" it's slowly turning into the elephant in the room with which this market will be "beaten to death" sooner or later.

You are denying the fact that this has been beaten to death, and trying to suggest that the problem is getting worse.. .. and I am having difficulties seeing either your facts or your logic that support your FUD propagating bear wishing claims.   Roll Eyes  

Here’s the thing:

USDT is not just a bitcoin thing, it’s a pair across all crypto.

BTC and ETH pairs are still far bigger.  

Every trade on BFX is counted as a USDT trade, including people like me that have deposited real USD

XRP is bigger and just as much a shit coin

No one with half a brain actually believes it is backed anymore than Dai

So there are all sorts of confounding factors.  

What Harry berry said = myditto, and I wished that I would have said it like this.    Cheesy
Flamaicon

Activity: 140
Merit: 13

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 11:32:14 AM

Litecoin is a better Bitcoin
toknormal
Legendary

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 11:34:11 AM
Merited by conspirosphere.tk (1)

USDT is not just a bitcoin thing, it’s a pair across all crypto.....XRP is bigger and just as much a shit coin

XRP and the other alt pairings are not directly responsible for the worldwide quoted fiat price.

This problem isn't going away and can't be swept under the carpet with some "it's just another sh*coin" dismissal because if Tether tanked the way XRP did in the last few weeks you'd have Bitcoin/USD in 3 figures.

BTC gets it's value from being unbacked. What's happening instead is the market is being turned into a huge cesspool of counterparty risk to the extent that the $USD exchange rate is becoming meaningless by the time you price that in.

(Maybe that's why "regulators" have been so kid-glove in their approach lately - i.e. they know the game's up to some extent. Also maybe it was planned this way all along).
bitserve
Legendary

Self made HODLER ✓

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 11:39:28 AM
Merited by xhomerx10 (1)

You are exaggerating "a bit", dude. That's not the attitude of a true Litecoiner. #justsaying
soullyG

Activity: 1011
Merit: 721

Decentralize everything

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 11:51:46 AM

Nice little $100 pump just now, let's see if there's enough momentum to take us over $9k
toknormal
Legendary

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 11:55:00 AM

You do recall the chart of the size of tether as compared with all of the cryptos, correct?

I don't have the link right now, but anyhow tether is a very small fraction of this total crypto space

The correct comparison is not marketcap to marketcap, it's Tether marketcap to BTC market DEPTH.

Come back when you've checked that ratio out.
pacman7331

Activity: 638
Merit: 118

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 11:56:34 AM

Nice little $100 pump just now, let's see if there's enough momentum to take us over $9k

I think the true driver of BTC prices upward is price stability. People see it as a store of value so it becomes valuable. Prices going up also drives prices up from FOMO, but these investors are pump and dumpers they don’t want crypto, they want fiat! HODLers are the ones who actually buy Bitcoin to have it and only use it in dire or unusual situations.
bitserve
Legendary

Self made HODLER ✓

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 11:58:55 AM

I don't have the link right now, but anyhow tether is a very small fraction of this total crypto space

The correct comparison is not marketcap to marketcap, it's Tether marketcap to BTC market DEPTH.

Come back when you've checked that ratio out.

Pardon my ignorance but, what's the current market depth of USDT vs BTC to go 50% up/down?

Where could I check it?
Pages: « 1 ... 19473 19474 19475 19476 19477 19478 19479 19480 19481 19482 19483 19484 19485 19486 19487 19488 19489 19490 19491 19492 19493 19494 19495 19496 19497 19498 19499 19500 19501 19502 19503 19504 19505 19506 19507 19508 19509 19510 19511 19512 19513 19514 19515 19516 19517 19518 19519 19520 19521 19522 [19523] 19524 19525 19526 19527 19528 19529 19530 19531 19532 19533 19534 19535 19536 19537 19538 19539 19540 19541 19542 19543 19544 19545 19546 19547 19548 19549 19550 19551 19552 19553 19554 19555 19556 19557 19558 19559 19560 19561 19562 19563 19564 19565 19566 19567 19568 19569 19570 19571 19572 19573 ... 33302 »
  Print  

Jump to: