Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 02:00:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 [349] 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 ... 417 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [OS] nvOC easy-to-use Linux Nvidia Mining  (Read 417956 times)
CryptAtomeTrader44

Activity: 340
Merit: 103

It is easier to break an atom than partialities AE

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 01:27:14 PM
Last edit: January 21, 2018, 02:23:56 PM by CryptAtomeTrader44

nvOC v0019-2.0 Community Release new shrinked image Mega.nz
Download Link

Beta testing...
Please test and let me know.

Change Log:
Code:
Image size: 11 GB
ZIP size: 3.8 GB
Auto Expand to full size on first boot
Fixed copy 1bash from fat partition to SSD/HDD on first boot
SHA256: ACCA9787169E6E722ED74FB02DBE1C44E7760CEB537CB79D4C61C7FFF8AD3057

Ok, i will download it and upload on dl.free.fr. Why don't you use google drive. A lot of users had some problems with Mega in the past.

My drive is almost full, Sorry.
Problem with Mega was when size is over 5 GB and it triggers the wait, bellow 5 GB should be no problem.

Here is another link to download this new image :
http://dl.free.fr/lkvBjGvPn

You can also Download here :
http://dl.free.fr/5sjQBr/Atomicomunity

NB : I don't verify before uploading and after downloading but i don't détect any problem since these opérations.
CryptAtomeTrader44

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 01:47:55 PM

root partition wont allow to go lower, So I think its the smallest we can get.
But will try to cleanup the OS again, see if I can reduse more.

Why do not you use a lighter linux system like Lubuntu or even, a linux system even more minimalist as there are at least a dozen ...

I know, I say in a vacuum and it's a lot of work but I have often thought about it. I did not have the courage or the motivation to try.

These days, I'm getting ready to make my RIG fatter because 2 GPU is good for testing, but it does not produce enough and not fast enough for my taste.
CryptAtomeTrader44

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 01:53:55 PM

I think the only thing left to reduce size and improve stability (maybe?) is abandon Desktop

I thought the same thing but the problem is that nvOC is an easy to use mining system. I think it won't be easy to use for lots of people if you remove gnome desktop or another desktop interface. A lighter interface desktop would be a better solution.
osnwt

Activity: 353
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 02:14:20 PM

I thought the same thing but the problem is that nvOC is an easy to use mining system. I think it won't be easy to use for lots of people if you remove gnome desktop or another desktop interface. A lighter interface desktop would be a better solution.
I always prefer to build my mining linux myself. But for nvidia, I wasn't able to control undervoltage/overclocking. That's why I still use old nvOC. But from what I remember, these functions required from me to install X11 along the computing drivers. So I am not sure if desktop makes it so fat and not a required dependencies. Without them the system works, but was no fine tuning possible. I may be wrong.
NameTaken

Activity: 630
Merit: 502

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 02:16:09 PM

Why do not you use a lighter linux system like Lubuntu or even, a linux system even more minimalist as there are at least a dozen ...

I know, I say in a vacuum and it's a lot of work but I have often thought about it. I did not have the courage or the motivation to try.

These days, I'm getting ready to make my RIG fatter because 2 GPU is good for testing, but it does not produce enough and not fast enough for my taste.

I don't notice any Sol/s difference as long as the desktop is not being actively used (all my rigs are headless anyway).

I think the only thing left to reduce size and improve stability (maybe?) is abandon Desktop

An Xorg instance needs to be running on each GPU (which is what nvidia-xconfig -a or --enable-all-gpus does) for nvidia-settings to change clocks and fan.
osnwt

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 02:19:35 PM

An Xorg instance needs to be running on each GPU (which is what nvidia-xconfig -a or --enable-all-gpus does) to use nvidia-settings to change clocks and fan.
That's exactly the reason why I dropped ideas of making thin system. For AMD I did a USB-bootable one that required 1GB USB flash only, and only 500M of this was the compressed file system, the remaining space was allocated for copy-on-write overlay fs to save changes.
CryptAtomeTrader44

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 02:21:26 PM

I'm sure if you add rigmon to nvOC you will get lots of audience/interest and most importatant motivation to make it better.
It looks nice ...
Lets get your hands dirty and start making it compatible with nvOC miners Wink

I confirm all that papampi says. It looks very interesting and usefull !

@osnwt
Please, share your project/code rigmon, even if you do not have time to respond to users requests, no one will blame you. I'm sure there are not so many things to adapt and the good writers here will adapt your work in two or three shots
CryptAtomeTrader44

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 02:32:43 PM
Last edit: January 21, 2018, 04:12:57 PM by CryptAtomeTrader44

An Xorg instance needs to be running on each GPU (which is what nvidia-xconfig -a or --enable-all-gpus does) to use nvidia-settings to change clocks and fan.
That's exactly the reason why I dropped ideas of making thin system. For AMD I did a USB-bootable one that required 1GB USB flash only, and only 500M of this was the compressed file system, the remaining space was allocated for copy-on-write overlay fs to save changes.

Ok, i see that you and NameTaker have tried to minimize maximum system size. Your objection seems to be logical and the result of your experience and tests too.
osnwt

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 02:40:10 PM

Another goal was to make the system effectively read-only. Best of all - to run from RAM, but also an option - to run from compressed read-only file system (squashfs) with overlay in RAM, still having read/write partition to save settings, but only by request.

The idea was:
- boot from flash;
- run and save non-persistent changes/logs to ram;
- withstand any power losses with no risk to damage the file system;
- if any changes required, make them and save to flash overlay (emulated by a file on FAT file system).

Cloning of this system will be as easy as make a bootable flash and copy there squashfs file system image, kernel image and casper r/w file with changes (or simply put miners and settings to FAT for Windows users). And it could not be broken with power loss. So, nothing should be written to flash unless explicitly requested.
papampi

Activity: 686
Merit: 140

Linux FOREVER! Resistance is futile!!!

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2018, 03:18:58 PM
Last edit: January 21, 2018, 03:31:55 PM by papampi

Thats exactly what Leenoox says to use Lubuntu or some thing lighter.
But I think changing OS needs fullzero consent and its not our place to fully change his OS.

Ubuntu 18.04 is coming in less than 3 months
lets see how it works with gnome-desktop and new kernels, and hopefully fullzero will show up till then too.

nvOC boots in less than a minute and I dont see any reason to migrate from it and go for lubuntu or any thing else when ubuntu has the most users and many are familiar with it.

papampi

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2018, 03:21:57 PM

I don't notice any Sol/s difference as long as the desktop is not being actively used (all my rigs are headless anyway).

An Xorg instance needs to be running on each GPU (which is what nvidia-xconfig -a or --enable-all-gpus does) for nvidia-settings to change clocks and fan.

Can you share how you run nvOC in full headless mode without losing Xorg.
Any steps necessary for first run ...

May be we can add an option in 1bash for that mode.

papampi

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2018, 03:24:24 PM

Another goal was to make the system effectively read-only. Best of all - to run from RAM, but also an option - to run from compressed read-only file system (squashfs) with overlay in RAM, still having read/write partition to save settings, but only by request.

The idea was:
- boot from flash;
- run and save non-persistent changes/logs to ram;
- withstand any power losses with no risk to damage the file system;
- if any changes required, make them and save to flash overlay (emulated by a file on FAT file system).

Cloning of this system will be as easy as make a bootable flash and copy there squashfs file system image, kernel image and casper r/w file with changes (or simply put miners and settings to FAT for Windows users). And it could not be broken with power loss. So, nothing should be written to flash unless explicitly requested.

nvOc v0019-2.0 uses tmpfs for miner, watchdog, temp control, wtm, ... logs.
Only important temp control and watchdog logs saves to disk so you can check after reboot

papampi

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2018, 03:34:00 PM

nvOC v0019-2.0 Community Release new shrinked image Mega.nz
Download Link

Beta testing...
Please test and let me know.

Change Log:
Code:
Image size: 11 GB
ZIP size: 3.8 GB
Auto Expand to full size on first boot
Fixed copy 1bash from fat partition to SSD/HDD on first boot
SHA256: ACCA9787169E6E722ED74FB02DBE1C44E7760CEB537CB79D4C61C7FFF8AD3057

Ok, i will download it and upload on dl.free.fr. Why don't you use google drive. A lot of users had some problems with Mega in the past.

My drive is almost full, Sorry.
Problem with Mega was when size is over 5 GB and it triggers the wait, bellow 5 GB should be no problem.

Here is another link to download this new image :
http://dl.free.fr/lkvBjGvPn

You can also Download here :
http://dl.free.fr/5sjQBr/Atomicomunity

NB : I don't verify before uploading and after downloading but i don't détect any problem since these opérations.

Thanks added your link toGitHub

akokkon

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 03:41:46 PM

what is the default password of nvoc m1 user on v0019-2.0 Community Release?
osnwt

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 03:53:05 PM

nvOc v0019-2.0 uses tmpfs for miner, watchdog, temp control, wtm, ... logs.
Only important temp control and watchdog logs saves to disk so you can check after reboot
That's great! Especially, if it mounts main FS r/o. I don't think so, though. Had no issues with the old one (put logs to tmpfs), but had issues with some of miniPC ARM boards where r/w mount of /etc (and rootfs) on SD card or internal flash in case of power fail event could lead to unrecoverable /etc data that was mounted r/w but had no writes and was writeable by root only. So if possible, I would like to mount main fs r/o.

Anyway, great system to start.
papampi

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2018, 03:55:43 PM

what is the default password of nvoc m1 user on v0019-2.0 Community Release?

user: m1
password: miner1

Rig4p

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 04:19:08 PM

I have now added 2 GTX1060 GPUs to my rig that previously had only one GTX1080.
Hash rates look reasonable but I noticed that both of the GTX1060s were running below their expected power numbers, ~62W vs. 75W.
The GTX1080 is still running around 200W as before I added these two and that is expected.
So I monitored the "screen -r temp" printout for a while and noticed this:

Code:
ERROR: Error assigning value 75 to attribute 'GPUTargetFanSpeed' (m1-desktop:0[fan:2]) as
       specified in assignment '[fan:2]/GPUTargetFanSpeed=75' (Unknown Error).

I see a similar message that mentions the other GTX1060.
Is this problem occurring possibly because I have mixed GPUs now?
Do I need to set individual OC/power numbers?

Thanks for the help.
CryptAtomeTrader44

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 04:31:22 PM

Thats exactly what Leenoox says to use Lubuntu or some thing lighter.
But I think changing OS needs fullzero consent and its not our place to fully change his OS.

Ubuntu 18.04 is coming in less than 3 months
lets see how it works with gnome-desktop and new kernels, and hopefully fullzero will show up till then too.

nvOC boots in less than a minute and I dont see any reason to migrate from it and go for lubuntu or any thing else when ubuntu has the most users and many are familiar with it.

Only reducing the weight of the image for first. That will facilitate downloading and flashing. This reduced weight would permit smaller USB KEY too.

As was mentioned above by another contributor, a script that will be added to a normal version of ubuntu would be largely superficial. Not necessarily need to download a complete system as currently. It would suffice to say that it must install these scripts packages on ubuntu VIRGIN

For Fullzero, will we see him coming back one day?
Nothing is less sure.

I know we've already talked about all this, but the more time passes and the more difficult it is to continue without giving you access to you and other coders like Leenoox and Stubo or others I probably forget . You can not even edit the description of the thread and readers are forced to type in the entire thread to understand what is happening. Not really optimized all that.

I'm just a user, but I still read posts that say they downloaded version 19-1.4 instead of yours.
leenoox

Activity: 200
Merit: 101

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 05:13:02 PM

Exactly.

My test rigs on Win10. Ignore stale share counts, I have long pings from these test rigs.
rig01 is ethminer, rig02 is Claymore's, rigmon is my own tool and uses the same API for both miners.

PS. NVidia cards on Linux report temps/fans only in CUDA mode (tested with older miner for CUDA 8 ). In OpenCL mode they do not report this.

This looks amazing and we would love to merge your rigmon into nvoc. Moreover, we would love if you could join the dev team and help further improve nvoc.
nvoc has thousands of users, great and active community that provides feedback and gratitude so it will be great platform for your project.

We've been looking to add some sort of remote monitoring and management but it keeps being pushed aside as we work on further improving and bug fixing the core nvoc scripts.

It would be great to use your tool as a starting point (instead of starting from scratch) and we could further expand it to add management options like on the fly change of mining coin, OC adjustments, reboot, 1bash creation trough GUI, etc.

If interested in joining the dev team please contact papampi for details or at least share the code to be merged if you don't have time for further development. Thanks.

NameTaken

Activity: 630
Merit: 502

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 05:22:34 PM

Can you share how you run nvOC in full headless mode without losing Xorg.
Any steps necessary for first run ...

May be we can add an option in 1bash for that mode.
I'm actually using a different Ubuntu based OS: https://ba.net/zcash-eth-miner-os/. I like it because it's almost stock Ubuntu 16.04 with the latest Nvidia driver preinstalled and I use Ansible-playbook for configuration management. An xorg.conf is generated every boot before X starts with this systemd service file:

Code:
[Unit]
Description=Generate xorg.conf
Before=lightdm.service

[Service]
Type=oneshot
RemainAfterExit=true
ExecStart=/usr/bin/nvidia-xconfig -a --cool-bits=28 --allow-empty-initial-configuration

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target
Pages: « 1 ... 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 [349] 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 ... 417 »
  Print  

Jump to: