Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 12:03:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 [150] 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Klondike - 16 chip ASIC Open Source Board - Preliminary  (Read 435330 times)
bitrocket

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2013, 09:02:55 PM

UPDATE FROM AVALON 9/9/13

"Avalon Generation Two Chips 55nm
..Those who have invested in time and money on Avalon Generation One based devices and clones can rejoice in the fact we had the foresight to make Avalon Generation Two chips completely backward compatible in every way with 110nm generation one chips, which can be expect to go on sale Late October 2013 for immediate shipping..

Developers and Hobbyists should keep an close eye on our github account as we will be releasing the 55nm chip specification and reference design soon."

This is excellent news - it will still be possible to complete the Klondike project and put these boards into production. Thank you to everyone working to bring this project into reality.

NEW Rocketpool Giveaway [POOL][DOGE] 10,000 Doge Block Finder Bonus on now: http://doge.rocketpool.org
>50,000 Dogecoin bounty in blockfinder rewards

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Darktongue

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 09:38:01 PM

It is most likely a hardware bug in the circuit. During our testing we realized that the Dual NOR gates used in the design are too fast, and there needs to be some propagation delay. Using a cheap NOR gate chip from Fry's did the trick. We are still trying to see if this can be fixed in the firmware.

Maybe you may also want to try to use a bigger capacitor for the phase shifter in front of the NOR gate. A circuit should not depend on the propagation delays or fabrication tolerances of logic gates. I also tried to use the internal comparator of the PIC as a NOR gate, which is even better since it has some clock synchronization register. But it has shown that the comparator is not fast enough...

Already tried using bigger capacitor. Does not work. The only work around we have found is using a slower gate, so far.

I'm sorry to tell you, but you're wrong.
I'm using v0.3.1 board with bigger cap (currently about 260pF) and it's hashing quite well.
Without it, the clock signal is not delayed enough - just about 5ns and bad nonces are returned.
BTW terrahash, what modifications did you made to the 4 chip firmware to hash with all 16 chips?

You are using 260pF for C274 right?

In order to hash with 16 chips, you need to make the following modifications in klondike.c, from line 159:

Code:
    Status.ChipCount = 16;

// pre-calc nonce range values
    BankSize = (Status.ChipCount+1)/2;
    Status.MaxCount = WORK_TICKS / BankSize / 2;
    NonceRanges[0] = 0;
    for(BYTE x = 1; x < BankSize; x++)
        NonceRanges[x] = NonceRanges[x-1] + BankRanges[BankSize-1];
They said here how they got it working with 16 chips..?

Yeah the only issue there is, that it's not working and it even can't work with that.
The firmware, in it's early stages, were programmed to send same configuration data to both banks. So you had all 16 chips doing something, the only problem was, that both banks were solving the same problem. So you have higher error rate because of the collisions, and only half of the speed.
So changing the nonce range with the code above isn't going to help here.
And I've asked them again (after that), if they did changed anything else, and got no response.
And the response above I only get because they wanted to know from me, what changes I've made in HW to get it working.

Is it alright that I PM you?
ScaryHash

Activity: 529
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 09:41:28 PM

I don't think everyone needs to.abandon.  For the sake of community development. I'd say we finish the project.  If a handful exist  that's okay. I understand people are MIA as well as nerve racked.  That is why I believe wr need fresh hands and eyes on this project.  

Absolutely! I'm not advocating we abandon the project. But there's no point in continuing the design using first-generation Avalon chips. They are obsolete. At this point, with an assembled board in hand, if you mine forever, you will not make back the cost of the miner. However, we can retarget for a different chip and, at the very least, break even.

The design is fully functional, the only thing that needs to be finished is firmware.
I have two boards hashing with only one side (with 8 chips) at about 3Ghps, ~3% ER (without USB ferrite beads), chips overclocked to 375MHz with no overvolt. Other side on each board has few chips that do not respond, but this is because those chips were poorly soldered. And on every board it's different side. Tried to fix it yesterday, but was unsuccessful, and now waiting for solder wick and isopropylalcohol.
I've also tried some modifications in firmware for 16 chips, but it wasn't really usable. The board with that did hash faster, but had around 20% ER - which is a firmware and poorly assembled chips problem, not the design one. Now waiting with this until I fix the other side, then will continue working on FW.
Tried also to contact one of the companies, that claimed to have fully working board (with firmware that hash with all 16 chips), but they did not respond. Anyone here can guess why.
About the ROI, it really is gone now, but you have to take into account, that BTC price will likely go up, so even if you lose now, you can gain later. Especially if you've already made an investment in the HW, chips etc.

Edit:
And about changing the HW for next gen Avalon chips (or any other chips), who is going to make this? Bkk seems to be gone (probably get sick of all the events regarding chips delivery, companies taking advantage of opensource project and giving nothing back) and there is noone (even in the group of those companies, which started their business on this) who is able to make this change.

Is it not possible for you guys to use TerraHash's stuff? They said they have working k16's with less than 1% error rates.

What Terrahash stuff? They have used stuff that Bkk made as opensource. To be absolutely clear on this, I've wrote to them about mine board with 4 chips assembled hashing at 400MHz with around 0.6% ER, when they were asking me via PM about the changes in HW I made to get it working. They were not able to fix even this for the whole time. They claimed even here on this forum, that the design is wrong.
Later, when they did claimed at 5th of September, that they do have a working board, and the only issue there is I2C, I've wrote them again, asking what firmware changes do they made to hash with all 16 chips and that low error rate.
They didn't even bother to wrote me back.
So what do they actually have? Nothing? Lies?

Zipiju, I think you're doing a great job and a service to the community.

Unfortunately, it's been a LONG time since I've done any assembly/firmware type programming, so I'm totally sort of out of touch with that aspect of it.

But, I'm sure whatever you decide will be a much better solution than what we have now. If you need anything, beer, movie tickets, cheap hookers, lemme know and I'll see what I can do.

See if you can get in touch with Steamboat, he is also working on assembly for a group buy, which of course has been delayed. But, I think he has a machine assembled K16 miner which should have better soldering consistency.

Pls post a donation address. Wink
TheJuice

Activity: 840
Merit: 608

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 09:58:10 PM

Per Avalon gen2 55nm will be completely backwards compatible. We may see ROI. Assuming specs are 3x as fast it'll be close.
cp1

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 10:51:55 PM

If Avalon ever ships we'll have a lot of assembled K16s and the firmware will get sorted out quickly.  I'll even dust off my PICkit 3 and MPLAB if I have to.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
Vycid

Activity: 336

♫ the AM bear who cares ♫

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 10:54:15 PM

Per Avalon gen2 55nm will be completely backwards compatible. We may see ROI. Assuming specs are 3x as fast it'll be close.

At this point I'd be more concerned about power efficiency.  Avalon Gen 1 is awful.

ScaryHash

Activity: 529
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 12:28:09 AM

If Avalon ever ships we'll have a lot of assembled K16s and the firmware will get sorted out quickly.  I'll even dust off my PICkit 3 and MPLAB if I have to.

Well, they hash, but at a reduced rate. We could still be debugging and hashing. Not ideal, but better than nothing.
fasmax

Activity: 378

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 12:36:29 AM

It is most likely a hardware bug in the circuit. During our testing we realized that the Dual NOR gates used in the design are too fast, and there needs to be some propagation delay. Using a cheap NOR gate chip from Fry's did the trick. We are still trying to see if this can be fixed in the firmware.

Maybe you may also want to try to use a bigger capacitor for the phase shifter in front of the NOR gate. A circuit should not depend on the propagation delays or fabrication tolerances of logic gates. I also tried to use the internal comparator of the PIC as a NOR gate, which is even better since it has some clock synchronization register. But it has shown that the comparator is not fast enough...

Already tried using bigger capacitor. Does not work. The only work around we have found is using a slower gate, so far.

I'm sorry to tell you, but you're wrong.
I'm using v0.3.1 board with bigger cap (currently about 260pF) and it's hashing quite well.
Without it, the clock signal is not delayed enough - just about 5ns and bad nonces are returned.
BTW terrahash, what modifications did you made to the 4 chip firmware to hash with all 16 chips?

In order to hash with 16 chips, you need to make the following modifications in klondike.c, from line 159:

Code:
    Status.ChipCount = 16;

NonceRanges[0] = 0;
They said here how they got it working with 16 chips..?
I tested this by programing a PIC chip with this change.
After looking at the signals with a storage scope I believe it does send the correct nonce values to all 16 ASIC's. with no ranges duplicated.
So if you have all 16 chips installed this should fix the duplicated nonce ranges.
bassclef

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 12:51:27 AM

Nice to know gen 2 may be backwards compatible. I have reels of parts that may get some use yet.
mjmvisser

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 02:25:40 AM

About the ROI, it really is gone now, but you have to take into account, that BTC price will likely go up, so even if you lose now, you can gain later. Especially if you've already made an investment in the HW, chips etc.

An investment that doesn't earn back its principal is called a loss.

And about changing the HW for next gen Avalon chips (or any other chips), who is going to make this? Bkk seems to be gone (probably get sick of all the events regarding chips delivery, companies taking advantage of opensource project and giving nothing back) and there seems to be noone (even in the group of those companies, which started their business on this) who is able to make this change.

That's a great question! I don't have the answer, but I'd love to get some discussion going and find out.
sensei

Activity: 378
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 01:30:41 PM

While testing my prototype, I found a solution to the fan circuit. The problem I found was that I couldn't drive the fan and that every time the fan is plugged in, the PIC resets.

I changed R23, the pullup to VCC, to a 10K and the series resistor, R22, to a 49.9K.
hf_developer

Activity: 66

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 01:58:08 PM

An investment that doesn't earn back its principal is called a loss.

And about changing the HW for next gen Avalon chips (or any other chips), who is going to make this? Bkk seems to be gone (probably get sick of all the events regarding chips delivery, companies taking advantage of opensource project and giving nothing back) and there seems to be noone (even in the group of those companies, which started their business on this) who is able to make this change.

That's a great question! I don't have the answer, but I'd love to get some discussion going and find out.

My older project which is to be found here : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=276728.0
is based on klondike original but with some major modifications. I think it is also capable of using Avalon Gen2 chips. The main problem is that such a development is very costly and you get nothing back from it. Noone pays the development equipment nor the hundreds of hours for the project. The problem is also that there a newer chips available before the old ones are shipped. This was the case with Avalon Gen1. So such a development ist mostly not worth its time.
eroxors
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

Think. Positive. Thoughts.

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2013, 02:15:55 PM

I think most agree now that developing (or relying/depending on) for Avalon will be disappointing.

So, 4 chip boards work flawlessly, 8 chip boards work as well, but 12-chip and 16-chip boards are not fully functional, correct?

What are the best 8-chip board speed/hash results? 350MHz, 450?

btceic

Activity: 392

♫ A wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw ♫

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2013, 02:47:27 PM

Can the remaining developers chime in and settle a debate?
Does anybody have a working 16 chip klondike running at 333*16?

♫ This situation, which side are you on? Are you getting out? Are you dropping bombs? Have you heard of diplomatic resolve? ♫ How To Run A Cheap Full Bitcoin Node For $19 A Year ♫ If I knew where it was, I would take you there. There’s much more than this. ♫ Track Your Bitcoins Value
zipiju

Activity: 93

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 07:14:52 PM

To clarify on this, it would be a 16 chip Klondike at 282*16 (4.5GH as Advertised) with low HW Errors.

Also if whoever did this, did so using Terrahash's code.

Code:
    Status.ChipCount = 16;

NonceRanges[0] = 0;

If you look at that code, you see, that only 8 nonce ranges are defined.
How could this work with 16 chips? Any idea?
Also, the NonceRanges were defined as NonceRanges[8].
And for everyone here, fully populated board with 16 chips IS NOT WORKING with those firmware modifications that Terrahash posted above.

Be sure to check out http://projectklondike.org/ site
1CKscJAxjdhbJjJPJ9AzL2dWTmB6oc49UE
btceic

Activity: 392

♫ A wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw ♫

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2013, 07:16:48 PM

To clarify on this, it would be a 16 chip Klondike at 282*16 (4.5GH as Advertised) with low HW Errors.

Code:
    Status.ChipCount = 16;

NonceRanges[0] = 0;

And for everyone here, fully populated board with 16 chips IS NOT WORKING with those firmware modifications that Terrahash posted above.

Thanks jipiju

♫ This situation, which side are you on? Are you getting out? Are you dropping bombs? Have you heard of diplomatic resolve? ♫ How To Run A Cheap Full Bitcoin Node For $19 A Year ♫ If I knew where it was, I would take you there. There’s much more than this. ♫ Track Your Bitcoins Value
hf_developer

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 09:01:58 PM

Code:
    Status.ChipCount = 16;

NonceRanges[0] = 0;

Look at asic.c especially in SendAsicData function. You will get your answer there and in the end of send32 function. But it is a bit tricky how its done there... In fact you only need 8 nonce ranges
AtomSea

Activity: 143
Merit: 100

So sexy, it hurts.

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 06:35:09 AM

Code:
    Status.ChipCount = 16;

NonceRanges[0] = 0;

Look at asic.c especially in SendAsicData function. You will get your answer there and in the end of send32 function. But it is a bit tricky how its done there... In fact you only need 8 nonce ranges

What are you implying Tongue

The question is: Does it work?

I can find NO ONE that can get the K16 to work.
southerngentuk

Activity: 1316
Merit: 252

Sugars.zone | DatingFi - Earn for Posting

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 07:53:25 AM

I'd love to get my hands dirty in this project.  I can work well with firmware and deadlines. I have Avalon Chips I just need a board minus chips or a finished bricked board.  Send one with power problems.  This project needs some fresh eyes.  I'd work we would win and I'd somehow manage to get more beer and waffles in my fridge.

I have a K16 board and PIC chip on order with BkkCoins. I'm not sure what his shipping schedule is though. If we could get him to ship that to you priority, and if you have the rest of the BOM, I'd consider letting you have a go at it.

I have an unpopulated K16 Bkk Sent me. If it is required PM me.

SUGAR
██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
▄████████████████████████▄
███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
█████▀██████▀▀██████▀█████
██████████████████████████
█████████████████████▄████
████████▄████████▄████████
▀████████████████████████▀
▀▀████████████████████▀▀

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
███████████████████████████
██████               ██████
██████   ▄████▀      ██████
██████▄▄▄███▀   ▄█   ██████
██████████▀   ▄███   ██████
████████▀   ▄█████▄▄▄██████
██████▀   ▄███████▀▀▀██████
██████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ██████
██████               ██████
Backed By
ZetaChain

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████████████████████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
hf_developer

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 09:15:58 AM

Code:
    Status.ChipCount = 16;

NonceRanges[0] = 0;

What are you implying Tongue

The question is: Does it work?

I can find NO ONE that can get the K16 to work.

Okay so i will clarify this:

This code
Code:
    NonceRanges[0] = 0;
generates the following nonce ranges for 8 chips (in hex):
Code:
Nonce[0]:00000000
Nonce[1]:10000000
Nonce[2]:20000000
Nonce[3]:30000000
Nonce[4]:40000000
Nonce[5]:50000000
Nonce[6]:60000000
Nonce[7]:70000000
Then in SendAsicData you see:
Code:
 last_bit0 = last_bit1 = split;
 send32_data = (WORD)&NonceRanges; send32_count = BankSize;
 Send32();
and in Send32:
Code:
    MOVF _last_bit0 & 0x7F,W
    CLRF LATC & 0x7F
    BTFSC INDF1,7
    MOVF _last_bit1 & 0x7F,W
    MOVWF LATC & 0x7F
This changes the highest bit in nonce value to 1 and then you get the remaining 8 nonces.

Pages: « 1 ... 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 [150] 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 »
  Print  

Jump to: