Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 01:20:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 ... 181 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Klondike - 16 chip ASIC Open Source Board - Preliminary  (Read 435331 times)
sensei

Activity: 378
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 03:40:51 PM

Dammit, I can't see any of the piccies at work! They are blocked!

However, all very good news.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Exoskeleton

Activity: 338
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 03:43:41 PM

My own case design will be using a 100x400mm configuration in a rackmount. I know there are others who will use this side-side method for racking as well so could I suggest making one this size too.

I think a 100x400mm water block could be nice to see. I used to do water cooling for gaming so I think that kind of thing is fun to set up. I would like to know if you (BKKCoins) think overclocking the klondike board would produce gains high enough to justify doing it. If I could get another 15% with a good liquid system over air then I'll think about doing it. I could rig up a custom system on the cheap, but in the end I kind of doubt that it would be worth it.
KS

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 04:14:10 PM

My own case design will be using a 100x400mm configuration in a rackmount. I know there are others who will use this side-side method for racking as well so could I suggest making one this size too.

I think a 100x400mm water block could be nice to see. I used to do water cooling for gaming so I think that kind of thing is fun to set up. I would like to know if you (BKKCoins) think overclocking the klondike board would produce gains high enough to justify doing it. If I could get another 15% with a good liquid system over air then I'll think about doing it. I could rig up a custom system on the cheap, but in the end I kind of doubt that it would be worth it.

I'm interested in the rackmount case version. Are you doing it fully custom or "just" modding an existing case?
BkkCoins (OP)

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2013, 04:44:34 PM
Last edit: May 29, 2013, 05:40:40 PM by BkkCoins

Note that one thing I did recently was move the USB connector back so it doesn't hang out a bit. This allows front-front tiling. In this layout you could have a 200x200mm tiling with the USB connectors in the middle and power coming in on opposite outside edges. The catch is that you cannot plug in a USB cable unless one of them is flipped around back-front. So you could do eg. 200x300mm 6 boards, or 200x400 8 boards, with all facing inward except one flipped to get access to the USB (or a vertical facing USB conn. exists out there).

Another thought I had was a K32 10x20cm board, perhaps instead of K64. The difference is that the main power supply area would come right down the middle of both and there would only be one PIC for the whole K32, with each bank being 16 chips. One power connector at the back for the whole K32. Unlike the K64 with this layout we actually gain more parts savings since we remove a power connector and PIC and a few other bits. It's still probably not that significant overall since ASICs are the main cost.

I would like to know if you (BKKCoins) think overclocking the klondike board would produce gains high enough to justify doing it. If I could get another 15% with a good liquid system over air then I'll think about doing it. I could rig up a custom system on the cheap, but in the end I kind of doubt that it would be worth it.
I really don't know. But maybe later some testing can give some clues as to how much cooling will translate into speed increases.

hak8or

Activity: 172

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 05:13:17 PM

Hey, I just wanted to ask if you need or would like some more assistance with the hardware or even software side of this project. I am familiar with Eagle, Altium, and a smidgen of Kicad, but would gladly learn another EDA package if required.

And I present an old yet unfinished project of mine for some proof of my capabilities!
bitkapp

Activity: 517
Merit: 500

aka alaniz

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 05:29:47 PM

watching

Exoskeleton

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 05:46:01 PM

I'm interested in the rackmount case version. Are you doing it fully custom or "just" modding an existing case?

I knew I shouldn't have said anything.  Cheesy

Its a pretty sweet design that will be hands down the nicest looking case made for these units. It will be a modd for an existing case or two, but wait untill you see the existing cases and the modds. The problem is the cost. Shiny metal on the inside and outside, wood trim, and zero cheap plastics. This is the kind of box you show off in your living room and feel proud to own, not hide in a corner. It'll run $500 in parts alone so I doubt I will offer to build any of them. Once you add shipping and everything I will pay around $650. This design will have enough space for 40 or so k16 boards (600 chips). I plan on posting pictures and building details once its running so I wouldn't expect to see it on the forums till late July/August. I might start a thread on my case design next month if I have the time. I would like to see what people can come up with on their own first though before I inspire anyone.

I don't want to spoil anymore of the suprise or derail this thread with my own ambitions.
KS

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 05:53:17 PM

Its a pretty sweet design that will be hands down the nicest looking case made for these units. It will be a modd for an existing case or two, but wait untill you see the existing cases and the modds. The problem is the cost. Shiny metal on the inside and outside, wood trim, and zero cheap plastics. This is the kind of box you show off in your living room and feel proud to own, not hide in a corner. It'll run $500 in parts alone so I doubt I will offer to build any of them. Once you add shipping and everything I will pay around $650. This design will have enough space for 40 or so k16 boards (600 chips). I plan on posting pictures and building details once its running so I wouldn't expect to see it on the forums till late July/August. I might start a thread on my case design next month if I have the time. I would like to see what people can come up with on their own first though before I inspire anyone.

I don't want to spoil anymore of the suprise or derail this thread with my own ambitions.

Can't wait for the thread.

I'll take two. Grin Grin Grin
Sophokles

Activity: 1218
Merit: 516

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2013, 06:23:23 PM

very interested  Smiley

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"
▬▬▬▬▬
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 06:29:58 PM

Sorry, but my version of a "sexy case" doesn't have wood trim that I can display next to my coffee table in my livingroom. My version is a metal box that's about 19 in wide, and you can stack about 20 of them on top of each other with tidy cable management and a managed airflow design.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
Exoskeleton

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 06:52:44 PM

Sorry, but my version of a "sexy case" doesn't have wood trim that I can display next to my coffee table in my livingroom. My version is a metal box that's about 19 in wide, and you can stack about 20 of them on top of each other with tidy cable management and a managed airflow design.

My version is in a metal box, its a bout 19' wide, I won't need to stack it because I have nowhere near 600 chips to fill it, I have tidy cable management and a streamlined airflow design. The only thing I did different was spend a few hundred more than I need to on looks. I could make the same practical design out of milk crates and cardboard for $50. I understand if you want to take the middle ground. The extra few hundred I want to spend buys me an art piece as well as a case.
wrenchmonkey

Activity: 224

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 06:58:36 PM

Ditto. Make it fit in a rack with a nice clean look. I want IT hardware, not a 1960s entertainment center.

Makes me think of:

Cheesy

Block Erupter Overclocking 447 M/Hash, .006 (discounts if done in quantity) https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=300206.msg3218480#msg3218480

Buy and sell mining shares (Bitfury). https://cex.io/r/1/wrenchmonkey/0/
Bitcoinorama

Activity: 532

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 07:05:48 PM

I think this would make a dope hybrid rackable cabinet with airflow and be the talking point of any room whilst making effective use of internal space available, and you can share the controller;

Make my day! Say thanks if you found me helpful Smiley BTC Address --->
1487ThaKjezGA6SiE8fvGcxbgJJu6XWtZp
ryepdx

Activity: 714

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 07:08:32 PM

Unlike the K64 with this layout we actually gain more parts savings since we remove a power connector and PIC and a few other bits. It's still probably not that significant overall since ASICs are the main cost.

On the other hand, such a design could help mitigate some of the parts shortages I'm expecting we'll see.
zefir
Donator

Activity: 919

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 07:15:29 PM

Good neews  Grin

What about sample chips?
They has been shipped?

Greetings from Spain  Smiley
No no news on samples. I'm sure any word on that will be big news all around the forum.
It won't happen quietly. So many people are waiting on them.

Samples are promised to start shipping end of May, so don't expect a delivery before mid of June - in developers' hands not before end of June.

Since there are so many businesses build around the Klondike design, a small reminder: so far, 1700 chips ordered with me has been delegated to BkkCoins, which entitles him to get 5 sample chips from me. That might be enough to test protocol and mining generally, but it is far from being sufficient to also test fully populated boards or stacking / tiling. If you are not a developer and have chips ordered from me, please consider supporting BkkCoins and assign your portion of sample chips to him (as described here).

wrenchmonkey

Activity: 224

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 07:26:55 PM

Good neews  Grin

What about sample chips?
They has been shipped?

Greetings from Spain  Smiley
No no news on samples. I'm sure any word on that will be big news all around the forum.
It won't happen quietly. So many people are waiting on them.

Samples are promised to start shipping end of May, so don't expect a delivery before mid of June - in developers' hands not before end of June.

Since there are so many businesses build around the Klondike design, a small reminder: so far, 1700 chips ordered with me has been delegated to BkkCoins, which entitles him to get 5 sample chips from me. That might be enough to test protocol and mining generally, but it is far from being sufficient to also test fully populated boards or stacking / tiling. If you are not a developer and have chips ordered from me, please consider supporting BkkCoins and assign your portion of sample chips to him (as described here).

Don't you think it makes sense now to do a cutoff for some of these other developers who have TONS of chips already allocated (Cough, cough, BURNIN)? How many more chips can the guy possibly use? Nothing against Burnin, but he's got dozens of chips allocated at this point. I think it's only reasonable to say enough is enough, and divert these other chips elsewhere... The point of the developer chips is to get them in the hands of those who need them for development purposes, not to set up a developer with his own mining farm.  Wink

[/$0.02]

Block Erupter Overclocking 447 M/Hash, .006 (discounts if done in quantity) https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=300206.msg3218480#msg3218480

Buy and sell mining shares (Bitfury). https://cex.io/r/1/wrenchmonkey/0/
erk

Activity: 826

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 07:48:03 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing a Klondike 4 chip board eventually. Not sure how you would power it.

The Klondike 1 appeals to people that don't have ATI video card already, but a Klondike 4 chip would appeal to people who do but are on a lower budget.

Exoskeleton

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 07:51:26 PM

Ditto. Make it fit in a rack with a nice clean look. I want IT hardware, not a 1960s entertainment center.

Makes me think of:

Cheesy

How about this

This picture is not my room nor is this what I want it to look like, but you get the idea now. Something I can be proud to display.
zefir
Donator

Activity: 919

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 07:54:33 PM

Don't you think it makes sense now to do a cutoff for some of these other developers who have TONS of chips already allocated (Cough, cough, BURNIN)? How many more chips can the guy possibly use? Nothing against Burnin, but he's got dozens of chips allocated at this point. I think it's only reasonable to say enough is enough, and divert these other chips elsewhere... The point of the developer chips is to get them in the hands of those who need them for development purposes, not to set up a developer with his own mining farm.  Wink

[/$0.02]

Well, that's not my decision. I can not just cut off allocation for some developers at will. Fact is, samples are integral part of the chip order and everybody is free to claim them or support a project of choice. There are some who ordered enough chips and asked for their single chip sample, which potentially will end up being sold expensive in some auction thread. I openly dislike this, since they are not made for speculation but to support development. Alas, there is not much I can do about it - other than kindly asking to delegate them to their intended purpose.

Yes, burnin has support for 32 chips meanwhile, which sounds much but is still not sufficient to test two stacked boards. It should not be all too difficult to end up with all major developers having at least 40 chips. It is in your hands who ordered, that's all I can say.

miztic

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 07:56:27 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing a Klondike 4 chip board eventually. Not sure how you would power it.

The Klondike 1 appeals to people that don't have ATI video card already, but a Klondike 4 chip would appeal to people who do but are on a lower budget.

I thought you could put only 4 chips in a K16 board and it would still work? The board kits themselves don't appear to be that expensive [based on preliminary info]
Pages: « 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 ... 181 »
  Print  

Jump to: