Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:47:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 [166] 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Klondike - 16 chip ASIC Open Source Board - Preliminary  (Read 435330 times)
LiveJay

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 01:21:34 AM

I just submitted a pull request at GitHub for a fix I made to the klondike driver in cgminer.  It was incorrectly reporting the target fan speed on the status line (always 0% due to a math error).  Here is the diff if any of you adventurous souls out there want to try it out:

https://github.com/LiveJay/cgminer/commit/0124217db80cd4506d4fe1c921a6fd49bba59efb

Now it looks like this (it's capped at 99% because there isn't room for a fourth character):

https://photos-3.dropbox.com/t/0/AABLHwHkiYxSag3F8H6E3NUiyuUxGv8kqWewpDi4MHqkDA/12/44288815/png/1024x768/3/1384027200/0/2/Screenshot%202013-11-09%2010.25.55.png/eip0CZO0no5uOh5M9nwMA62GLBvLG4MNn1qJHuyykIE

My question is this:  The firmware aways seems to be returning 255 or 100% for the fan target speed, even when the fan is obviously running slower.  Is there any current activity around this in the firmware?  Is the firmware source available for review?  And where are the firmware devs hanging out.  I wouldn't mind listening in or helping out.

Thanks,

-Jay

Fantarget was dropped in latest firmware and cgm driver, since there is a temptarget. Because of compatibility with older firmware, the fantarget is set by cgm driver to 255.
If you want to monitor an actual fan speed (or current pwm level, since fan rpm measurement is not implemented in firmware yet), you have to take a look at klninfo->status[dev].kline.ws.fanspeed variable.
You can review K16 firmware at github.com/zipiju/k16-firmware.

Thanks!  I'll make that change in my branch.

-Jay
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Vl4dim1r

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2013, 01:21:06 PM
Last edit: November 12, 2013, 03:03:47 AM by Vl4dim1r

True, kinda forgot about it :S.
Can I solder the replacement part (Dead Bug Style) on the board? That way there is no need for a total PCB replacement.
For MLC1260-401ML, which Mouser has 50 in stock.

Depends how perfect you want it to be. The pad widths are about the same, 2.7 vs 2.8mm.
The pad lengths are slightly larger, 4.0 vs 3.1mm. But the spacing between is 4mm instead of 2.4mm.
So to make that work you would scratch part of the board area on the side away from the buck reg. so that it has more exposed contact area. It's 12mm instead of 8.6 so you would open up about 3mm. Do that and cut the stencil a bit and then you can paste as usual, but clean off any paste on the inner edge so it cannot contact the wrong terminal. Not even very messy really.

I ended up buying this replacement part. Has anyone else successfully done the swap? I am confused how I should properly install the new part. It has 2 leads, while the original 38L361C has 3 leads. Do I short the two on the left-hand side of the regulator?

EDIT: After looking over the data sheets for the 2 coil designs, I see that the 2 pins on the same side of the 38L361C is the coil, and the 3rd pin, opposite 1 and 2, is a ground. Is this correct? If it is, it would appear that the replacement coil should sit between the 2 contacts on the same side. In reference, I'm asking about parts L1 and L2

Tips/Payments: 12DXk6FeU1JmKwCyCTJDdwUNKGV8hvZTep
Vl4dim1r

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 07:35:27 PM

True, kinda forgot about it :S.
Can I solder the replacement part (Dead Bug Style) on the board? That way there is no need for a total PCB replacement.
For MLC1260-401ML, which Mouser has 50 in stock.

Depends how perfect you want it to be. The pad widths are about the same, 2.7 vs 2.8mm.
The pad lengths are slightly larger, 4.0 vs 3.1mm. But the spacing between is 4mm instead of 2.4mm.
So to make that work you would scratch part of the board area on the side away from the buck reg. so that it has more exposed contact area. It's 12mm instead of 8.6 so you would open up about 3mm. Do that and cut the stencil a bit and then you can paste as usual, but clean off any paste on the inner edge so it cannot contact the wrong terminal. Not even very messy really.

I ended up buying this replacement part. Has anyone else successfully done the swap? I am confused how I should properly install the new part. It has 2 leads, while the original 38L361C has 3 leads. Do I short the two on the left-hand side of the regulator?

EDIT: After looking over the data sheets for the 2 coil designs, I see that the 2 pins on the same side of the 38L361C is the coil, and the 3rd pin, opposite 1 and 2, is a ground. Is this correct? If it is, it would appear that the replacement coil should sit between the 2 contacts on the same side. In reference, I'm asking about parts L1 and L2

I went ahead and ordered the correct part. Anyone selling prototype stencils? One board /ea?

vs3

Activity: 622
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 07:57:04 PM

Anyone selling prototype stencils?

That's where I'm getting my prototype stencils : http://www.pololu.com/product/446
If you're in a rush - $50 and they can overnight it, or $25 and get it next week.

davewr2013

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Bitcoin For All

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 09:01:30 PM

Does anyone have 10 x MCP16321T-330E/NGCT-ND they could sell me? PM me your price with rush shipping to USA-Arkansas, 72118.

Try here:

http://ca.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=Voltage+Regulators+-+Switching+Regulators+1A+Synchrouns+Buck+Switcher+24Vin

FWIW -- shows some stock.

I keyed in the description rather than the part number

Alternate packaging and one-offs appear to be available.

DigiKey
http://www.digikey.lu/search/en/AlternatePackaging?recordId=2835036&storeId=10154

You can check the other sites yourself.

Give me this day my daily Bitcoin...
Vl4dim1r

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 10:38:31 PM

I realized that we have a laser cutter on the production line where I work, we use it to print metal nameplants. I'm going to cut my own stencil for free, rather than pay out the A** for one made.

TomKeddie

Activity: 176

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 10:54:20 PM

I realized that we have a laser cutter on the production line where I work, we use it to print metal nameplants. I'm going to cut my own stencil for free, rather than pay out the A** for one made.

Try Colin at placedroid.com, he's been assembling miners, also sells stencil making as a service.
bassclef

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 03:01:51 AM

Guys, I think it's amazing that this project is finally off the ground and working. I'm just sad I wasn't able to turn all these fancy parts in my office into miners...

I have a question. At what point do we give Bkkcoins a scammer tag? I hate to even suggest it as he gave a lot of his time to get the K16 95% finished before the chip debacle. I was with him the whole way and even sent him beer money so he could buy the equipment he needed. The fact stands that he still has 8 of my bitcoins, and everyday it's more and more obvious that he isn't returning. Other avenues of contact seem to have failed. How long do we give him?

Bicknellski

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 03:33:45 AM

Guys, I think it's amazing that this project is finally off the ground and working. I'm just sad I wasn't able to turn all these fancy parts in my office into miners...

I have a question. At what point do we give Bkkcoins a scammer tag? I hate to even suggest it as he gave a lot of his time to get the K16 95% finished before the chip debacle. I was with him the whole way and even sent him beer money so he could buy the equipment he needed. The fact stands that he still has 8 of my bitcoins, and everyday it's more and more obvious that he isn't returning. Other avenues of contact seem to have failed. How long do we give him?

Is he even alive?

No one has been able to contact him and he has not surfaced anywhere. Again maybe the people in Thailand can do more digging on this and see what is going on. Someone needs to do some proper investigating into this in Thailand not just some calls to the numbers... but actually checking out his residence and with the people he has had contact with in Thailand. I got no response from calls, emails, postcards... at this point someone needs to take this to the next level and physically track him down.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
vs3

Activity: 622

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 08:54:37 AM

At what point do we give Bkkcoins a scammer tag?

I don't feel comfortable with tagging him as a scammer. Also I have no evidence that he intentionally did what he did - there are other plausible explanations.
I have also provided him various kinds of support ($, btc, etc) and I have no intent to do a chargeback on those - he did a lot of work and I feel that he has more than deserved my contributions.

Ente
Legendary

Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 11:16:34 PM

Is he even alive?

No one has been able to contact him and he has not surfaced anywhere. Again maybe the people in Thailand can do more digging on this and see what is going on. Someone needs to do some proper investigating into this in Thailand not just some calls to the numbers... but actually checking out his residence and with the people he has had contact with in Thailand. I got no response from calls, emails, postcards... at this point someone needs to take this to the next level and physically track him down.

I agree.
For this, I posted a thread in "Local - Other ":
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=336079.0

Maybe post there what you tried, i.e. postcard with no reply, phonenumber disconnected or similar.
Also, a rough area where Chris lives would be nice to post there!

Ente
Bicknellski

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 08:16:40 AM

I am currently trying a number of emails to the local PCB fabricators in Thailand, that he suggested to me as alternatives to China and Indonesia and asking them that if they see Chris to contact me. ... long shot.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
Ente
Legendary

Activity: 2126

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 10:50:13 AM

I am currently trying a number of emails to the local PCB fabricators in Thailand, that he suggested to me as alternatives to China and Indonesia and asking them that if they see Chris to contact me. ... long shot.

Good thinking!
Thank you for your effort!

Ente
erk

Activity: 826

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 10:52:44 AM

At what point do we give Bkkcoins a scammer tag?

I don't feel comfortable with tagging him as a scammer. Also I have no evidence that he intentionally did what he did - there are other plausible explanations.
I have also provided him various kinds of support ($, btc, etc) and I have no intent to do a chargeback on those - he did a lot of work and I feel that he has more than deserved my contributions.

I don't think scammer is appropriate either, engineering is not cheap, his time was worthwhile.

I think it  would be nice if he came back and continued on with the project using the 2nd gen chips.

HugPuddle

Activity: 24

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2013, 11:28:03 PM

Good thinking!

Ente

Please someone locate him.
It just doesn't make sense.
To pour that kind of energy into a project and then just disappear like that?
It doesn't follow.
Bicknellski

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 05:05:35 AM

Good thinking!

Ente

Please someone locate him.
It just doesn't make sense.
To pour that kind of energy into a project and then just disappear like that?
It doesn't follow.

Yes and that is why many of us are concerned more about his health or safety given his past reputation for being a stand up guy in all respects. Very worrying. I have had no replies to my email to the one shop in Bangkok Chris recommended.

randoint

Activity: 12

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 05:24:28 AM
Last edit: November 20, 2013, 08:13:01 AM by randoint

I hope someone has an answer to these questions:

Currently I run 14 KLN units. There seems to be 2 issues that I run into.

First is the KLN: went idle before work was sent error:

As far as the resources on the Klondike page http://projectklondike.org/, the reason is known, however, as I run a windows 8 environment there isn't really an easy way for me to recompile the drivers. Is there any other solutions to reduce these errors? Future cgminer updates will address this?

The next issue that I seem to keep running into is stability/performance of the units:

Unless I power up the units a certain way, I tend to get a lot of zombie KLN units, or units that are plugged in, however, does not hash at all (zero hash rate, zero work units). Upon system startup and powering of the KLN units, usually all units hash. Eventually one or couple of units will stop hashing at all after a certain period of time (the unit that goes idle is random, physically speaking). As I have 14 units, cgminer should show the units as KLN0-KLN13. The units that go bad will eventually keep trying to redetect itself, and the ID of the unit will keep climbing in cgminer (eg: from KLN13 to KLN253).

Is it possible that this issue be a possibility of USB overload? I have 3 units connected to USB ports in the back pane, 5 units connected to one USB hub, and 6 units connected to another USB hub. Temperatures are under 50c

Thanks for any assistance or knowledge on these matters Smiley

edit:
Nov 19
-Tried cgminers different versions 3.50+ to latest, no success.
-Only 1 miner was not hashing in the above USB configurations. Plug only 5 USBs in each of the 2 hubs; remainder plugged into the back pane of computer. Currently everything hashes, except two units are hashing at half the rate expected. Using cgminer 3.70.
-1 of the half rate hashers completely stopped hashing after 30 mins.
BkkCoins (OP)

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2013, 08:32:42 AM

Hello,

On Sept. 1st I was involved in a motorcycle accident. I spent 3 weeks in the hospital with broken ribs, a broken leg and a serious head injury. My physical/mental state after returning home was poor, and I did not want to deal with any klondike issues for some weeks after that. I am ok physically now.

At the end of October I started reading through over 1300 emails I had, deleting ones that I could not help with and saving the ones relating to orders. After much procrastination, today I read this forum thread to catch up on everything that has happened. I avoided it for several weeks because I was sure it would be a colossal disaster, and everyone would be ready with pitch forks to blame me. I'm happy that bugs were found and fixed and that people are able to get decent hash rates, but I don't think I can help further with development (except perhaps push up previously completed bootloader code I wrote but never debugged).

At this time I want to try to handle refunds for orders that were never shipped for those requesting them. I have very little funds left for this due to a large medical bill here (no insurance), and having to pay for a friend's motorcycle (which seemed to vanish while I was gone). I am able to refund most of the orders at least partially if not fully. Maybe fully. I'm not sure.

I also have heaps of k16, k1, klego and picngo boards, stencils and other stuff here which I can ship for anyone who actually wants them at this point. I also have full parts and Avalon chips enough for about 12 k16s, which I intended to build myself but never started.

The last few weeks have been challenging for me and I have not wanted to deal with any of this. I came close to not returning here at all but decided it's better I try to deal with refunds to the extent I can, and at least let people know that I never planned to drop out, or scam anyone.

I hope you'll accept my apologies for being so late to speak up here. Posting sooner may have alleviated some concerns, but I don't feel I would have been able to help with technical matters, and didn't want to get involved again.

I'll try to deal with my emails related to requests soon. I have not read my PMs here yet and will try to skim through those in the next few days.

Chris.

Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 08:42:56 AM

Very sorry to hear about your accident  Sad

Hope you get well soon though  Wink

Also hope you can stick around awhile,here's some pics that I hope you'll enjoy!!

Your work has been greatly appreciated,Thanks again!!!!!!!!

Good to hear from ya!!!!!!!!!!

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
davewr2013

Activity: 238

Bitcoin For All

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 08:43:01 AM

Chris:

I had been following the thread with interest and was ready to buy when you disappeared.

It's good to see that you are on the road to recovery -- though not sure how far along you are.

I suspect the community may try to help as best it can.

Let people know what they can do to help. You may be surprised.

Give me this day my daily Bitcoin...
Pages: « 1 ... 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 [166] 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 »
  Print  

Jump to: