Bitcoin Forum
June 01, 2024, 01:20:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 [129] 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 ... 267 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Off-Topic  (Read 384374 times)
MinermanNC
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 04:25:53 PM

I really wish we could get a clear picture of the size of board with heat sink attached and a template for the mounting holes in the board...Maybe I missed it?...but need to know depth with sinks on....if anyone knows yet?

Hey MMNC. I am working off of Steamboat's board info for dimensions of the heatsinks and such: http://liquidsyndesigns.com/shop/klondike.html
With heatsink, fan, and standoffs Steamboat's k16s are approximately 4"x4"x4" (10x10x10cm)
If we take off the fan, and subtract the length of the bottom standoffs, it looks like it's going to be about 2"-2.5" thick (including the PCIe connector).  
It's approximate of course, but I think relatively close. On BKK's thread they talk about using heatsinks ranging from .75" to 2" thick. Standoffs are cheap from Grainger, so I bought 200 2" hex 4-40s.  

If you go with the heat sink labeled #4 on the BKK thread, you are getting good passive heating and much better temperature with fan cooling- around 45 C. I modeled that heat sink and posted it in another thread. I think, without a fan it was keeping temps around 80C. I did a model with a fan blowing over it but never posted the results.

I also modeled the Steamboat design, but said I wouldn't release any specs. Are they selling that design as the one in that link?

With a fan, the steamboat design did pretty well, but its passive cooling isn't excellent due to the small spacing of the fins.

Here is a link to the heat sink design I mentioned above (not the Steamboat design): https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=208381.msg2631164#msg2631164
Wow,,,,what a difference 20 mm makes! Smiley Thx

Extending the fins by about 20 mm has reduced the temperature to 78C, approximately a 50% reduction in temperature.

*BTC: 1DiR25SPo84sThzTATr27EZEQZLt6hv6tG
MinermanNC
Legendary

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 04:31:54 PM

I really wish we could get a clear picture of the size of board with heat sink attached and a template for the mounting holes in the board...Maybe I missed it?...but need to know depth with sinks on....if anyone knows yet?

Hey MMNC. I am working off of Steamboat's board info for dimensions of the heatsinks and such: http://liquidsyndesigns.com/shop/klondike.html
With heatsink, fan, and standoffs Steamboat's k16s are approximately 4"x4"x4" (10x10x10cm)
If we take off the fan, and subtract the length of the bottom standoffs, it looks like it's going to be about 2"-2.5" thick (including the PCIe connector). 
It's approximate of course, but I think relatively close. On BKK's thread they talk about using heatsinks ranging from .75" to 2" thick. Standoffs are cheap from Grainger, so I bought 200 2" hex 4-40s.   
Hey KL,,, FYI, so I just created an account with Grainger Etc...and went to check availablity on items and I realized, I have a Grainger store up the road 20 miles in Wilmington!! so ill be going there tomorrow (WILM) to pick up a GPU for one of my old miners, and am going to swing by and pick up the feet and standoffs you recommeneded in you hardware list,,,all for $2.65 + tax...lol   SWEET! I never knew about Graingers???  lol,,, Thanks again for the info! I really appreciate it..

Vigil

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 04:37:22 PM
Last edit: July 28, 2013, 07:35:07 PM by Vigil

If you go with the heat sink labeled #4 on the BKK thread, you are getting good passive heating and much better temperature with fan cooling- around 45 C. I modeled that heat sink and posted it in another thread. I think, without a fan it was keeping temps around 80C. I did a model with a fan blowing over it but never posted the results.

I also modeled the Steamboat design, but said I wouldn't release any specs. Are they selling that design as the one in that link?

With a fan, the steamboat design did pretty well, but its passive cooling isn't excellent due to the small spacing of the fins.

In regards to ETA, are we still looking at August 15 to have our orders?

Here is a link to the heat sink design I mentioned above (not the Steamboat design): https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=208381.msg2631164#msg2631164
Wow,,,,what a difference 20 mm makes! Smiley Thx

Extending the fins by about 20 mm has reduced the temperature to 78C, approximately a 50% reduction in temperature.

The key to good passive heat transfer is surface area and large enough fin spacing. Use that heatsink I modeled as your standard. Passive cooling is helpful if one of your fans fails. I guess you could have an auto shutoff at a certain temperature, but...
syncer

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 08:04:21 PM

Also, the shipping cost is crippling! $400 to the Uk, that's just not right!!?

Does anyone have any idea of the customs charges I may have to pay on it?

If terrahash will declare full cost of devices which was sent to you(i assume they will)
 VAT will be applied to original amount of invoice (not sure how much it´s in U.K., but in Spain it´s 21%)
also some custom processing fees will be applied too.

I will recommend you switch to hosting instead, this is what i done, because custom can take up to one week(here in Spain it´s like this, not sure how it works in U.K. but i guess not really faster)

My personal decision was made on idea that i will exclude extra charges from customs, plus i can start mine earler on hosting so this will give some extra income, as time in this case have big influence, to much hash power will be released during august-september.
knightlife999

Activity: 845

Whale Watchers and Pinnacle Brilliance founder

View Profile
July 29, 2013, 11:12:36 AM

Hey KL,,, FYI, so I just created an account with Grainger Etc...and went to check availablity on items and I realized, I have a Grainger store up the road 20 miles in Wilmington!! so ill be going there tomorrow (WILM) to pick up a GPU for one of my old miners, and am going to swing by and pick up the feet and standoffs you recommeneded in you hardware list,,,all for $2.65 + tax...lol   SWEET! I never knew about Graingers???  lol,,, Thanks again for the info! I really appreciate it..

Glad I could help! I was planning on buying standoffs and feet from a seller on ebay, but I thought that $10 for 40 standoffs was a little pricey. I did a search on google and Grainger came up. I was really surprised by how great their prices are. Did you check out the pc parts supplier I cited for your PCIe splitters? .99 each is fantastic. People are charging 3.99-6.99 a piece for them on other sites. Exact same parts, but $3+ cheaper. I ended up ordering 30 just in case. I have 14 k16 boards coming from Steamboat in addition to my terrahash boards, but his ones come with splitters. I figure that it's good to have some extra splitters on hand in case some are duds.

Pinnacle, the only trading application you will ever need: https://pinnacle-brilliance.com/
Know The Future High/Lows Of Any Market: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=762278.msg8592180#msg8592180
Best Exchange for trading Forex, Commodities, and Stocks with Bitcoin: https://1broker.com/?r=3299
MinermanNC
Legendary

View Profile
July 29, 2013, 01:43:31 PM

Hey KL,,, FYI, so I just created an account with Grainger Etc...and went to check availablity on items and I realized, I have a Grainger store up the road 20 miles in Wilmington!! so ill be going there tomorrow (WILM) to pick up a GPU for one of my old miners, and am going to swing by and pick up the feet and standoffs you recommeneded in you hardware list,,,all for $2.65 + tax...lol   SWEET! I never knew about Graingers???  lol,,, Thanks again for the info! I really appreciate it..

Glad I could help! I was planning on buying standoffs and feet from a seller on ebay, but I thought that $10 for 40 standoffs was a little pricey. I did a search on google and Grainger came up. I was really surprised by how great their prices are. Did you check out the pc parts supplier I cited for your PCIe splitters? .99 each is fantastic. People are charging 3.99-6.99 a piece for them on other sites. Exact same parts, but $3+ cheaper. I ended up ordering 30 just in case. I have 14 k16 boards coming from Steamboat in addition to my terrahash boards, but his ones come with splitters. I figure that it's good to have some extra splitters on hand in case some are duds.

Hey KL. yes i have had an account with PC Outlet for sometime,,,,fotunately I have like 10 splitters from building Gpu Miners...lol, ok, I am going to graingers today and used you links/part numbers to identify standoffs,, may post a pic later of em!! thx KL

Bitoy

Activity: 449

View Profile
July 29, 2013, 04:42:38 PM

I imagine they are delaying shipment to give B#2 and #3 a chance to ROI. Total guess though...

Good guess.  As of today, only 1 (zefir batch 1) group buy has received the chips.

Looks like the 2nd week of August terrahash delivery won't push through.

bsuperior2

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 29, 2013, 05:07:18 PM

I imagine they are delaying shipment to give B#2 and #3 a chance to ROI. Total guess though...

Good guess.  As of today, only 1 (zefir batch 1) group buy has received the chips.

Sad
CommanderVenus

Activity: 258

Zoinks! Its the Miner Miner Forty-Niner!

View Profile
July 29, 2013, 09:08:26 PM

Im having terrahash host my device. I cant remember if they asked for a payout address or not. I know it doesnt say anything about payout addresses on the order details..

Will terrahash be asking for a payout address when they start shipping to their hosting location?

BTC: 1VenusEubcLC9W7ykckHbdEzo5MVhPmCb
NXT: 15182624396855992605
BTQ: 14b2QFPwFtBC3tcRW9F61aaRXP2ns3fh1m
sunniestsolomin

Activity: 47

View Profile
July 29, 2013, 09:18:27 PM

Im having terrahash host my device. I cant remember if they asked for a payout address or not. I know it doesnt say anything about payout addresses on the order details..

Will terrahash be asking for a payout address when they start shipping to their hosting location?

They better. I also selected their hosting service.
klee
Legendary

Activity: 1498

View Profile
July 29, 2013, 09:19:08 PM

Sad
Seems I won't ROI if I don't add more modules in DX Large...Tried to buy from other users but TH was not helpful on this. And no info on if & when they will open more orders so I can upgrade.
I am in EU and chose hosting - after 2 months it will be unsustainable not to mention bringing this monster at home (damn at least to satisfy my tech geek fetish)!!
bitcoin carpenter
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 29, 2013, 10:17:48 PM

how much was the shipment cost for a dx large in North America

If your not actively using the technology behind your crypto investment,

IT IS A SCAM!!!!
fasmax

View Profile
July 29, 2013, 11:41:18 PM

Met with Terrahash today.

I didn't take any pictures (They would be basically the same pictures as you've already seen)

They assured me everything is in place so that when they receive the Avalon Chips they can begin Assembly and it would take maximum of two weeks to get the first orders out. They mentioned that can do 250 K64's/Day.

The chips can only run at 350mh Max on the Klondikes without needing additional cooling besides heatsink/fan.

There really isn't much else to report as they are ready and waiting on the chips so bug Avalon to deliver them Tongue
Have they receive the new revised PCB board yet ?
hchc

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 12:23:13 AM

Met with Terrahash today.

I didn't take any pictures (They would be basically the same pictures as you've already seen)

They assured me everything is in place so that when they receive the Avalon Chips they can begin Assembly and it would take maximum of two weeks to get the first orders out. They mentioned that can do 250 K64's/Day.

The chips can only run at 350mh Max on the Klondikes without needing additional cooling besides heatsink/fan.

There really isn't much else to report as they are ready and waiting on the chips so bug Avalon to deliver them Tongue

Thanks for the effort. But did they shows you a prototype of the board hashing at full speed (350mhz)?

.           ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
        ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
      ▓▓▓▀  ▀▓▓▓▀  ▀▓▓▀  ▀▓▓▓▓
    ▓▓▓▓▓▄  ▄▓▓▓▄  ▄▓▓▄  ▄▓▓▓▓▓▓
   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
  ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀  ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀  ▀▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄  ▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄  ▄▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀  ▀▓▓▓▀  ▀▓▓▀  ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄  ▄▓▓▓▄  ▄▓▓▄  ▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀  ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
  ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄  ▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
    ▓▓▓▓▓▀  ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
     ▓▓▓▓▄  ▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
       ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
          ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓

..           ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
        ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
      ▓▓▓▀  ▀▓▓▓▀  ▀▓▓▀  ▀▓▓▓▓
    ▓▓▓▓▓▄  ▄▓▓▓▄  ▄▓▓▄  ▄▓▓▓▓▓▓
  ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀  ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀  ▀▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄  ▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄  ▄▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀  ▀▓▓▓▀  ▀▓▓▀  ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄  ▄▓▓▓▄  ▄▓▓▄  ▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀  ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
  ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄  ▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
    ▓▓▓▓▓▀  ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
     ▓▓▓▓▄  ▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
       ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
          ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓

fasmax

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 12:47:29 AM

I think the limiting factor with the K16 will be the power supply.
I will be happy if my K16's will hash at 350mhs per chip and that might be expecting too much.

It would be nice if some one would test the new revised PCB board and design.
We would then have a better idea of the usable hash rate.

Also would it be possible on your next visit to see the manufacturing facility and parts inventory for the K16 builds?

aznewsh

Activity: 49

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 12:59:12 AM

How's it going Bargraphics - get your hardware yet - nah thought not!  Embarrassed

Gotta love fanboys
MinermanNC
Legendary

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 01:54:17 AM

They have all the parts needed to produce the boards and are 100% ready for when the chips arrive.
Again, they were very confident in their ability to get the customers their finished product asap.

Thanks for the effort. But did they shows you a prototype of the board hashing at full speed (350mhz)?

No they didn't but I also didn't ask to see one.

Again 350 is the MAX the board will do without additional cooling. I'm not sure if that is what they will be hashing at when they arrive at your house.

I'm sure we will know more very soon as Avalon Chips start to arrive and they are in production.
hey man,,,thx for going in to TH,,,if we really see 350 m/hash per chip thats pretty strong then. that put the k64 at 22500 mh and the k16 at 5600,,,sooooo that would be better than advertised right? Smiley who did you actually see there today?  and what were they doing?... lol,,,J/K not a lot more to really learn I know...guess we are all in wait mode for avalon to deliver...k, thx again bg.

MinermanNC
Legendary

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 01:59:23 AM

How's it going Bargraphics - get your hardware yet - nah thought not!  Embarrassed

Gotta love fanboys
Come on now...be nice....has BFL got their 70,000 back orders shipped yet? TH  still has about a month to make their commitments...... AND they were the first to actually get a board fully up and hashing at full speed..... Smiley they gained some respect in that regard.....

justmyname

Activity: 389

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 03:08:23 AM

They have all the parts needed to produce the boards and are 100% ready for when the chips arrive.
Again, they were very confident in their ability to get the customers their finished product asap.

No they didn't but I also didn't ask to see one.

Again 350 is the MAX the board will do without additional cooling. I'm not sure if that is what they will be hashing at when they arrive at your house.

I'm sure we will know more very soon as Avalon Chips start to arrive and they are in production.

Sounds like it's 350MHZ per chip. So a 16 chip board would hash at 5.6 GHZ. And a 64 chip board would be 22.4 GHZ. This is as high as it will go without special cooling. I would expect the boards will be at least as fast as advertised on their site. 
Vigil

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 04:03:06 AM

So, when I get this board I will just plug power to it from my PSU, link it to my comp with a USB, and configure CGMiner, blow some air on it, and this thing will do the rest, right? CGminer will detect this board and know what to do with it just like it does my GPUs? Will there be any instructions with it?

Shouldn't they already have these chips? They were supposed to get them mid-late July. It is Late July.
Pages: « 1 ... 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 [129] 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 ... 267 »
  Print  

Jump to: