Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 01:20:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 [82] 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 »
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC-e hacked ??  (Read 199692 times)
figmentofmyass
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1483

View Profile
August 09, 2017, 07:32:43 PM

given the latest update from btc-e, i've made a speculation thread for btc-e accounts in the marketplace forum: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2076499.0

please feel free to chime in. i'd love to get some thoughts on what people are pricing accounts at, given the percentage of immediate repayment proposed, and the bitfinex-like token scheme.

erk

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 09, 2017, 08:43:09 PM

+1 The cash in and run types got pretty rekt on Bitfinex. If the BTC-E backer companies can get a handle on the legal side of things and sue the shit out of the US gov then there is a decent chance of holders getting full refund. Hellabetter than a 55% payoff

From the sound off it, the FBI have stolen a large sum of money from the citizens of the world that used the BTC-e crypto exchange.
That is a serious issue, with no clear avenue of response for the exchange customers.

There needs to be an organized international class action against the FBI to recover the customer funds and other losses incurred.

thedreamer
Legendary

Activity: 1694
Merit: 1002

Go Big or Go Home.....

View Profile
August 09, 2017, 08:57:43 PM

+1 The cash in and run types got pretty rekt on Bitfinex. If the BTC-E backer companies can get a handle on the legal side of things and sue the shit out of the US gov then there is a decent chance of holders getting full refund. Hellabetter than a 55% payoff

From the sound off it, the FBI have stolen a large sum of money from the citizens of the world that used the BTC-e crypto exchange.
That is a serious issue, with no clear avenue of response for the exchange customers.

There needs to be an organized international class action against the FBI to recover the customer funds and other losses incurred.

Do you have definite proof the FBI  actually took the money?

Go Big or Go Home.
stingray454

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 09, 2017, 09:11:35 PM

The problem is the US civil forfiture laws. Basically they can seize anything they want even remotely connected to anyone suspected of a crime (even though they are NOT proven guilty) completely legal. AND they get to keep the money to fund their department (or whatever), which makes them fight HARD to keep it. You basically have to prove very convincingly that it's all legal. Also, as we "lent" out money to BTC-e for trading, it probably counts as their money, and if they are suspected of money laundry, the FBI will take it all and won't care if it's really other peoples money.

It would be nice to sue for the money back, but I think that's a REALLY slim chance.

Here are some (entertaining) info on civil forfiture: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kEpZWGgJks
yefi
Legendary

Activity: 2842
Merit: 1511

View Profile
August 09, 2017, 09:18:59 PM

Good luck trying to sue an arm of the U.S. government. Got about as much chance of success as Kim Jong-un winning the Nobel Peace Prize.
Potent

Activity: 241
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 09, 2017, 09:29:24 PM

I don't want %45. Just give me my %55 coins and i run away and will never back to BTC-e scammer.
squatter
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1196

STOP SNITCHIN'

View Profile
August 09, 2017, 09:31:04 PM

No. Mayzus Financial and Okpay made an announcement that they voluntarily froze funds with ties to BTC-e. The exchange confirmed this statement.

While it's clear that law enforcement seized the domain and servers including purses, and (based on historical seizures) attempted to seize fiat money, they oddly did not announce a concrete amount of funds seized. So, users are in the dark from all angles, and all we have to go on is what BTC-e tells us.

FuckDOJ

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 09, 2017, 09:49:31 PM

They should not give any refund to USA members. Just ban the Muricans and tell them to ask their own democratically elected fucking government for their money.
Cryptoneer

Activity: 116
Merit: 7

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2017, 09:56:49 PM

Where I can unload all the shitcoins they will give me for my 55% fiat?

I mean nvc, nmc, ppc.

Any good exchanges?
I dunno if namecoin and Peercoin are shit, but novacoin is for sure. Bleh I remember that POS from 2012-13.

Så kan det gå, om CAPS LOCK är PÅ!
Potent

View Profile
August 09, 2017, 10:05:16 PM

They should not give any refund to USA members. Just ban the Muricans and tell them to ask their own democratically elected fucking government for their money.

Stolen coins and Fiats by FBI is a fake story.
I think they scam us and for showing their face reliable they created this Fake story.
marky89

Activity: 756
Merit: 502

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
August 09, 2017, 10:12:28 PM

Stolen coins and Fiats by FBI is a fake story.
I think they scam us and for showing their face reliable they created this Fake story.

Given that the US Department of Justice indicted BTC-e, and all the federal agencies issued press releases about "taking down" the exchange, it seems unlikely to be a "fake story." You can see that their domain is seized. Whenever the US government does this, they seize money as well (anything they can get their hands on).

Does this mean that BTC-e lost as much as they say? No. We have no idea of their finances or outstanding liabilities. They may be pocketing a considerable amount of money in this "recovery" but who could know the difference? The website and servers were seized and Mayzus (who processes all of their fiat) said they froze their bank accounts. This all seems plausible to me.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
erk

View Profile
August 09, 2017, 10:13:40 PM

Do you have definite proof they didn't?

Aug 3rd. BTC-e said their fiat was via "Mayzus Financial Services Ltd and at the moment they are arrested".

They also said most of their losses were fiat.

illinest

Activity: 454
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 09, 2017, 10:20:30 PM

This is the gamble i suppose, reading up on BFX tokens they came through and all users were refunded whole.

To start with as you said many users cashed in tokens to "escape" with something rather than nothing, but by the end they the ones who held out got more value for money as they exchange brought them back with profits.

This is much more encouraging that they are attempting to refund users back to 100% on a system which has worked in the the past, rather than "here is 45% of you funds - the end"

Yeah, this sounds great in theory. Here's the problem: How do they "get a handle on the legal side of things and sue the shit out of the US government?" There's nothing I'd like to see more than BTC-E sticking it to the Man here and playing the hero, but they're still facing federal pound-me-in-the-ass prison......
thedreamer
Legendary

Go Big or Go Home.....

View Profile
August 09, 2017, 10:45:49 PM

Aug 3rd. BTC-e said their fiat was via "Mayzus Financial Services Ltd and at the moment they are arrested".

NOTE.. They 'Said' .. No proof. Usually if the US DOJ/FBI seize anything, it's is with big fanfare showing off. There is none of this going on.

I certainly hope we get back all we lost (some of us more than 6digits and up), but I still don't believe the whole story here.
Also it is an obvious 'shut-up and be happy' offer to get 45% back to the account owners. Which is strongly doubt will be a reality either way to most if any owners.

All we have to rely on is some russian tweets that frankly, don't mean sheyt. Also, has anyone thought about how the verification will or could be even handled to prove who the account holder is/was and how much they had in there?

Until there is a large number of my BTC / ETH and LTC's headed to my wallets, I am not trusting any of these claims a bit.

Go Big or Go Home.
BitHodler
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1179

View Profile
August 09, 2017, 10:46:13 PM

I don't want %45. Just give me my %55 coins and i run away and will never back to BTC-e scammer.
At the end of the day, getting something back is always better than completely kissing your funds goodbye.

I personally find it an adequate enough last resort solution, but there is simply no way to tell whether this is just a lame attempt to buy time and to run at a later point, or they genuinely try to pay their users back.

I think both scenarios are very much possible, and thus we shouldn't start getting excited while haven't seen anything yet. I can't believe anyone will ever use that exchange again ~ it just doesn't feel right.

BSV is not the real Bcash. Bcash is the real Bcash.
MAbtc

Merit: 508

View Profile
August 09, 2017, 11:06:23 PM

NOTE.. They 'Said' .. No proof. Usually if the US DOJ/FBI seize anything, it's is with big fanfare showing off. There is none of this going on.

That's one of the strangest things about this. But the authorities did seize the website. We know this because the DNS was pointed at Shadowserver (proxy for law enforcement). And they did unseal an indictment against the exchange. So, I figured the lack of announcement about seized funds meant one of three things:

1) Something went wrong and they didn't seize much (and/or Mayzus didn't have access to much). This means that the exchange is giving users back less than what was lost. This may be reasonable if it means securing the capital from investors that is required to relaunch.

2) They are trying to trick the BTC-e owners into exposing themselves, or putting themselves in a position to be arrested.

3) Alexander Vinnik really was an owner, had access to private keys for much of the funds, and the "new site" will be a honeypot, run by a US federal agency...
thedreamer
Legendary

Go Big or Go Home.....

View Profile
August 09, 2017, 11:08:58 PM

That's one of the strangest things about this. But the authorities did seize the website. We know this because the DNS was pointed at Shadowserver (proxy for law enforcement). And they did unseal an indictment against the exchange. So, I figured the lack of announcement about seized funds meant one of three things:

1) Something went wrong and they didn't seize much (and/or Mayzus didn't have access to much). This means that the exchange is giving users back less than what was lost. This may be reasonable if it means securing the capital required to relaunch from investors.

2) They are trying to trick the BTC-e owners into exposing themselves and/or put themselves in a position to be arrested.

3) Vinnik really was an owner, had access to private keys for much of the funds, and the "new site" will be a honeypot, run by a US federal agency...

Well, put. We'll see what will happen, but be cautious when the faucet opens....

Go Big or Go Home.
Potent

View Profile
August 09, 2017, 11:36:51 PM

I want nothing except those %55.
Why they don't open their site for withdrawal those %55 of coins?
Open your site and give me my coins.
We don't need investment groups for doing this unless you want to scam us.
TheKoziTwo
Legendary

Activity: 1552
Merit: 1047

View Profile
August 10, 2017, 12:17:10 AM

Do you have definite proof the FBI  actually took the money?

This was confirmed directly by OKPAY / Mayzus: https://www.okpay.com/hu/company/news/mayzus-official-statement-in-connection-with-btc-e-closure/

So this is proof that btc-e is speaking the truth. However OKPAY did not mention if funds seized was delivered to USA or even if seized by their request, that reminds to be seen.

erk

View Profile
August 10, 2017, 12:38:45 AM

This was confirmed directly by OKPAY / Mayzus: https://www.okpay.com/hu/company/news/mayzus-official-statement-in-connection-with-btc-e-closure/

So this is proof that btc-e is speaking the truth. However OKPAY did not mention if funds seized was delivered to USA or even if seized by their request, that reminds to be seen.
Good point, there are probably legal hurdles to go jump in order for the FBI/DOJ to get hold of the blocked funds in the UK.

Pages: « 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 [82] 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 »
  Print  

Jump to: