Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 03:45:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 [248] 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 ... 442 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [DVC]DevCoin - Official Thread - Moderated  (Read 1058403 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
notabot

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 06:33:21 AM

I've been doing ratings for the past two rounds, and I wanted to draw attention to the ratings system for writers who may not be familiar with it (I haven't been keeping up with the thread for the past few weeks, so if a similar post was made-- well, I guess I wouldn't be sorry because it's an important subject). This influences whether you are actually getting paid one share per thousand words, or less. This is the standard devtome rating rubric (http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=devtome_rater#rating_method). It has just CHANGED, and weights links and references for non-fiction article at 30/99 instead of 10/99. While we use an article as an example, the AUTHOR is also being rated.

I've noticed that even when I'm finding really neat articles, I end up docking them a lot of points because of the lack of links and references, and pictures. No links, references, or pictures? Bam, minus 39 points (used to be minus 19 points), right there. It takes a little extra time, but going through and putting in some links to resources, or articles that corroborate or contrast your opinion, and giving sources for your facts is really useful and important. How do we know where all your figures are coming from, otherwise? This is a hypertextual medium, and I'd encourage writers to take advantage of it. Adding a couple of pictures (you can find CC-BY-SA pictures at commons.wikimedia.org or via the search feature at creativecommons.org) also gives you up to 9 more points. Do yourself a favor.

On the other hand, don't rely on sprinkling in a few links and pictures to raise your rating. If I'm assigned an article that's a typo-laden, short-hand outline (which happens fairly often), I'm going to rate accordingly.

I just want to put this out there so people who are writing good stuff can maximize their earnings.

I'm only following the rating system loosely when rating articles. My scoring has been based on page and article formatting, grammar, sentence and paragraph structuring, along with the number and frequency of bullet points. Items noticed or looked for include a proper opening or introduction to the main body of text, a clear coherent flow of information, and the depth of the information upon the page.

If the page being scored is currently being worked on, my rating will tend to be based off of two other articles picked at random. My rating score is not affected that much by links or references as this skews the scoring away from original creative work that are stand alone web pages IMO. Scoring based on references at the suggested 30% of total score heavily skews the results/rewards/future content from non fiction to fiction. However the use of references and links are noted and do lean me towards a higher score, but not at the 30% level.

Where as non fiction delivers information, as long as it isn't opinion, fiction mainly is to entertain or just an exercise that a writer does. The scoring on my rating pages reward those who have put out hard earned information, comprehensive pages on a topic, or fiction that has kept me reading.

My rating does not reflect other articles by the writer, that is not to say that their other work wasn't looked at, but that a writers score was based upon the random page provided by the script. The point for writers, or anyone in any field to remember, is that any one is only as good as their worst piece of work.

The goal on Devtome (for writers) is to provide an opportunity for people to earn currency in exchange for their creative efforts, yet they must be graded against other writers so as to provide incentive for good writers, and for writers who have specialized knowledge, and also to ensure that writers who aren't meeting the standards do not skew the share distribution within devcoin between developers and writers. Writers are needed for the devcoin project to maintain momentum and interest, but to maintain that velocity and integrity, rating is essential to ensure that writers raise their standards and look at their work critically.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jdlrexy

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 06:42:40 AM

I've include a section that let's let's people make money off of the projects created through the bounty engine if they originally invested in it. I think it's a cool additions to the whole project.

http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=devcoin_bounty_engine

Great!  You qualify for the 6-share bounty, which leaves one more six share award remaining.  What's your DVC address?
[/quote]

Thanks a lot! Here is my address:

16DV7iL8wVyozq973rj2qA3Zw4r7mvnAKc
unclejed613

Activity: 49

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 06:53:50 AM

How much will I get if I use 'write for devtome' in my signiture? And how to apply/ who do I contact for this?

Everything you need to know is here Smiley it's 1/5 - 2/5 shares depending on your post count.

http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=earn_devcoins_by_marketing

posts on here and coinizen.org???
tayfun73

Activity: 34

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 08:21:27 AM

I've been doing ratings for the past two rounds, and I wanted to draw attention to the ratings system for writers who may not be familiar with it (I haven't been keeping up with the thread for the past few weeks, so if a similar post was made-- well, I guess I wouldn't be sorry because it's an important subject). This influences whether you are actually getting paid one share per thousand words, or less. This is the standard devtome rating rubric (http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=devtome_rater#rating_method). It has just CHANGED, and weights links and references for non-fiction article at 30/99 instead of 10/99. While we use an article as an example, the AUTHOR is also being rated.

I've noticed that even when I'm finding really neat articles, I end up docking them a lot of points because of the lack of links and references, and pictures. No links, references, or pictures? Bam, minus 39 points (used to be minus 19 points), right there. It takes a little extra time, but going through and putting in some links to resources, or articles that corroborate or contrast your opinion, and giving sources for your facts is really useful and important. How do we know where all your figures are coming from, otherwise? This is a hypertextual medium, and I'd encourage writers to take advantage of it. Adding a couple of pictures (you can find CC-BY-SA pictures at commons.wikimedia.org or via the search feature at creativecommons.org) also gives you up to 9 more points. Do yourself a favor.

On the other hand, don't rely on sprinkling in a few links and pictures to raise your rating. If I'm assigned an article that's a typo-laden, short-hand outline (which happens fairly often), I'm going to rate accordingly.

I just want to put this out there so people who are writing good stuff can maximize their earnings.

That's fair enough, the writers should get the fair share of return according to quality of work, especially those who put in the extra effort. I read on one of the writing tips pages that shares could also range between 0.5 - 1.5 x shares, depending on certain criteria, such as references, formatting, photos, grammar and number of visits to the page. Is this still the case?
Hunterbunter

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 09:04:31 AM
Last edit: February 07, 2014, 12:24:11 PM by Hunterbunter

Thanks for the excellent pool, finally we have such a pool that pays out devcoins!

I immediately switched my 3G hash/s miner to your pool and everything seems fine with cgminer. then I goto your page at blisterpool.com, and try to register with my bitcoin and devcoin address, but it shows a message "VALIDATION_ERROR: 'module' object has no attribute 'Validate'". something wrong with the page? or should I do something more? Also, I see the "Stats" Column writing "Coming Soon", I think it should be implemented first, 'cause people don't like throw their hash power into a pool which cannot observe the mining status instantly Smiley

Thanks, I changed something and made a bug, fixed it now Smiley.

The pool is up again, but I'm not sure how stable it is yet. Been fighting with it all day, but it seems...better. It's worth giving it a shot again, but please bear with me while I iron out the bugs.

@Sidhujag: Devcoind is being a pain atm, all of a sudden it keeps terminating for no good reason. Not sure if it's a hardware problem or what, but it's driving me a little nuttybear. I'm recompiling from source now...do I need to redownload the block chain or can I use existing data?

At first it was just opening and closing connections really frequently (as if it couldn't find any nodes it was happy with), before silently terminating. I added dvcstable01 as a node and it seemed to last longer (and did more non-i'm-not-happy stuff), but eventually it gave up and died too. P2Pool was refused connection to the daemon with this error:  Error while calling merged getauxblock on http://127.0.0.1:52332/: I don't know if that means anything to you.

EDIT: hmm the recompile didn't seem to change anything. Doing a -reindex now. It seemed to only get 2-3 connections (been happening only today) and then just dies. Is there a list of other seed nodes anywhere?

Does this error from the debug.log mean anything?
ERROR: CTransaction::CheckTransaction() : txout.nValue negative
ERROR: CheckBlock() : CheckTransaction failed
cdelatorref

Activity: 50

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 01:27:06 PM

Ok!
Looks like I'm finally mining, I tried up since yesterday and finally I'm mining with the 139jTYFSBed77zXwtZMtVSrMgyYBXF8Fxr Address, the pool is nice looking and I love the way it looks, the part I really liked is you can put your BTC adress as username, one thing I recommend to improve is an optional e-mail when you register yourself to obtain pool related news and announcements.
The 1% fee looks fair to me, and the graphical design is far superior from the standard merged pools, I liked you are mining merged coins with BTC, but I suggest you make them visible, like you say: "We are mining NMC, IXC..."
I think at first you should distribute randomly some DVC (given by community) to the miners to attract them to the pool.

Thanks for the excellent pool, finally we have such a pool that pays out devcoins!

I immediately switched my 3G hash/s miner to your pool and everything seems fine with cgminer. then I goto your page at blisterpool.com, and try to register with my bitcoin and devcoin address, but it shows a message "VALIDATION_ERROR: 'module' object has no attribute 'Validate'". something wrong with the page? or should I do something more? Also, I see the "Stats" Column writing "Coming Soon", I think it should be implemented first, 'cause people don't like throw their hash power into a pool which cannot observe the mining status instantly Smiley

The pool is up again, but I'm not sure how stable it is yet. Been fighting with it all day, but it seems...better. It's worth giving it a shot again, but please bear with me while I iron out the bugs.

@Sidhujag: Devcoind is being a pain atm, all of a sudden it keeps terminating for no good reason. Not sure if it's a hardware problem or what, but it's driving me a little nuttybear. I'm recompiling from source now...do I need to redownload the block chain or can I use existing data?

At first it was just opening and closing connections really frequently (as if it couldn't find any nodes it was happy with), before silently terminating. I added dvcstable01 as a node and it seemed to last longer (and did more non-i'm-not-happy stuff), but eventually it gave up and died too. P2Pool was refused connection to the daemon with this error:  Error while calling merged getauxblock on http://127.0.0.1:52332/: I don't know if that means anything to you.

EDIT: hmm the recompile didn't seem to change anything. Doing a -reindex now. It seemed to only get 2-3 connections (been happening only today) and then just dies. Is there a list of other seed nodes anywhere?

bit-fxtrader

Activity: 166
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 04:21:10 PM

Hey, me again. I'm confused, I noticed someone put some of my articles in my assigned categories but I still haven't been contacted re payment or added to the list. Is this list not being regularly updated and where can I see my ''review'' score?

http://dvccountdown.blisteringdevelopers.com/devtome

I understand that there is a backlog as most of my newer articles have yet to be categorized but doesn't this process go hand in hand with article reviews?
smeagol
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 06:20:04 PM

AM,

Each usb erupter mines about 0.33 GH/s, but you can overclock them to 0.44 GH/s with some skill. (http://www.designer2k2.at/mods/elektronik/85-block-erupter-overclocking.html)  If you only have one mining, you really are losing money from electricity.

Ok thanks for the help.
-AM

You could mine at the pool, make a post, and get a couple shares at least.
sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 06:27:32 PM

Ok!
Looks like I'm finally mining, I tried up since yesterday and finally I'm mining with the 139jTYFSBed77zXwtZMtVSrMgyYBXF8Fxr Address, the pool is nice looking and I love the way it looks, the part I really liked is you can put your BTC adress as username, one thing I recommend to improve is an optional e-mail when you register yourself to obtain pool related news and announcements.
The 1% fee looks fair to me, and the graphical design is far superior from the standard merged pools, I liked you are mining merged coins with BTC, but I suggest you make them visible, like you say: "We are mining NMC, IXC..."
I think at first you should distribute randomly some DVC (given by community) to the miners to attract them to the pool.

Hmm is the mergedmine proxy running? Thats what calls getauxblock..

You using latest source? Try to delete your wallet too if you dont have coins in it...

Is minimg happening when it crashes? Try to just get the mode up stable and synced before tirning on the proxy for the pool.

Did you do a clean build? Delete obj files manually?

Sometimes if its not closed properly it corrupts wallet amd database and crashes when reopened.. thats not a devcoin issue.

Can I vpn in or ssh to see?
Hunterbunter

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 09:51:50 PM

Hey, me again. I'm confused, I noticed someone put some of my articles in my assigned categories but I still haven't been contacted re payment or added to the list. Is this list not being regularly updated and where can I see my ''review'' score?

I understand that there is a backlog as most of my newer articles have yet to be categorized but doesn't this process go hand in hand with article reviews?

Hey bitfxtrader, I like your articles.

Anyway, dvccountdown uses sessions to track your last searched name, so if you link the bare address it'll only show what other people were looking at previously.

http://dvccountdown.blisteringdevelopers.com/devtome/31/hunterbunter

If you put the round and your username in the url like above, you can link it so others can see.

To answer your question, the review score should show up there - like mine is 80.48 according to the "Rating Median" if you scroll to the right. If it hasn't shown up yet then I think that means you just haven't been rated yet, and you'll get a default median that pays in the middle (ie 1.0 multiplier). I could be wrong, but that's what I got the first round.

The scripts aren't run until after deadline and the newest ratings are added etc, so no one knows what they're getting paid (concerning the multipliers) until after that point.
giftculturewriting

Activity: 52

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 09:54:53 PM

If the page being scored is currently being worked on, my rating will tend to be based off of two other articles picked at random. My rating score is not affected that much by links or references as this skews the scoring away from original creative work that are stand alone web pages IMO. Scoring based on references at the suggested 30% of total score heavily skews the results/rewards/future content from non fiction to fiction. However the use of references and links are noted and do lean me towards a higher score, but not at the 30% level.

I agree, it would be a problem if the rubric for fiction included links and references, but fortunately this is not an issue. The fiction rubric doesn't include links/references. The thirty points for links/references only applies to non-fiction. http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=devtome_rater#rating_method

For non-fiction:

30 for the content, how interesting or useful the article is.
    30 for links and references
    10 for grammar and readability
    10 for spelling
    10 for formatting
    9 for images, 0 for no images, 5 for one adequate image, 9 for more than one image or for one perfectly suited image

For fiction:

60 for the content, how interesting or original the book is.
    10 for grammar and readability
    10 for spelling
    10 for formatting
    9 for images, 0 for no images, 5 for one adequate image, 9 for more than one image or for one perfectly suited image
psybits
Legendary

Activity: 1386

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 09:55:35 PM

Hi bit-fxtrader. Please do not worry! As long as you post the articles on Devtome before the cut off you will be paid for the articles during the next payment round. Just make sure that you have also added the articles to your Devtome profile page correctly to make sure you receive your shares (as when the script is run at the end of the cut off it uses your Devtome profile page to see your new articles and word count)!
giftculturewriting

Activity: 52

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 09:56:08 PM

That's fair enough, the writers should get the fair share of return according to quality of work, especially those who put in the extra effort. I read on one of the writing tips pages that shares could also range between 0.5 - 1.5 x shares, depending on certain criteria, such as references, formatting, photos, grammar and number of visits to the page. Is this still the case?

Check out the rubric page linked above and you'll see the exact values given for each criteria.
smeagol
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 10:31:52 PM

Is there a way to see all ratings, by user?  It seems tedious to go through every rating page.
sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 10:33:21 PM

Managed to help out the maxcoin guys by creating the windows wallet, they had a hard time compiling the spaghetti code... here is their tweet:

https://twitter.com/maxcoinproject

love to devtome as a shoutout.
Hunterbunter

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 10:38:43 PM

Hey again, I saw your miner hop back on when the pool was back up...did you find the pool stats page at the top? (http://blisterpool.com/stats ) That shows how much is going through by bitcoin address if you scroll down. It's just a basic open-source front end for the p2pool, not very fancy, but I still have to dive into the p2pool data to figure out how it's actually storing stuff so I can give better stats and figure out the bonus payouts etc.

Also, I noticed you got a p2pool share this morning, yay! It means I have something to work with for the bonus payout scripts.

Ok!

Awesome, I can see you in the database, but the server stats don't seem to be registering any hash from your address (http://blisterpool.com/stats - click graph and scroll down to miners). Emfox's address got a share / payout so I know that's working ok (yay). I've got my miner on there on the 17ep6P address but it's only an old 6990 so not very much power; it's on the graphs too.

That's a good idea with the email list, I'll add that too.

I thought it might have been a bit confusing listing all the merge mined coins on the front page, because those are mostly what I'm using to produce the devcoins. I do have them listed here: http://www.blisterpool.com/BP/method but do you still think I should put them on the front page? Thanks for your feedback btw Smiley. My OCD is wondering where your hashes are going, though, was it you that had the block erupter? I wonder if it needs special settings.

Is there a way to see all ratings, by user?  It seems tedious to go through every rating page.

I agree this would be useful...I'll see if I can whip up something on dvccountdown.
Hunterbunter

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 10:52:20 PM

Hmm is the mergedmine proxy running? Thats what calls getauxblock..

You using latest source? Try to delete your wallet too if you dont have coins in it...

Is minimg happening when it crashes? Try to just get the mode up stable and synced before tirning on the proxy for the pool.

Did you do a clean build? Delete obj files manually?

Sometimes if its not closed properly it corrupts wallet amd database and crashes when reopened.. thats not a devcoin issue.

Can I vpn in or ssh to see?

Yeah it's really weird. I did a full directory delete and restarted it, it loaded the blocks fine, but when it gets to the top end it just keeps messing about.

here's my devcoin.conf:
Code:
daemon=1
rpcuser=<keep it secret>
rpcpassword=<keep it safe>
port=52333
rpcport=52332
discover=1
listen=1
addnode=198.154.60.183

the discover/listen I tried to no avail (didn't have them before). Here's my startup script, which is a generic copy of all my other daemons:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides:             devcoind
# Required-Start:       $all
# Required-Stop:        $all
# Default-Start:        2 3 4 5
# Default-Stop:         0 1 6
# Short-Description:    Start Devcoin Daemon
# Description:          Run Devcoin Daemon
### END INIT INFO

TITLE=Devcoin
NAME=devcoin
EXEC=devcoind
EXECPATH=/usr/local/bin/$EXEC
BASE=/home/amit/.${NAME}/
CONF=${BASE}${NAME}.conf
CHUID=amit:amit

# Carry out specific functions when asked to by the system
case "$1" in
  start)
        $EXECPATH -daemon -conf=$CONF -datadir=$BASE
    ;;
  stop)
        $EXECPATH stop
    ;;
  *)
    echo "Usage: /etc/init.d/$EXEC {start|stop}"
    exit 1
    ;;
esac

exit 0

The problem is with the devcoind daemon, or at least between the daemon and the server. I'm not sure if I've somehow inadvertently blocked access to the network for the devcoin daemon or what, but the other daemons don't seem to be having any issues so I've done something specifically to this.

The P2Pool is running fine with the other merged mine coins (at least they seem to be, but we haven't found any blocks yet).

Send me your rsa_pub and I'll give you access to ssh.
dalamar96

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2014, 11:32:30 PM

I'm only following the rating system loosely when rating articles. My scoring has been based on page and article formatting, grammar, sentence and paragraph structuring, along with the number and frequency of bullet points. Items noticed or looked for include a proper opening or introduction to the main body of text, a clear coherent flow of information, and the depth of the information upon the page.

Where as non fiction delivers information, as long as it isn't opinion, fiction mainly is to entertain or just an exercise that a writer does. The scoring on my rating pages reward those who have put out hard earned information, comprehensive pages on a topic, or fiction that has kept me reading.

My rating does not reflect other articles by the writer, that is not to say that their other work wasn't looked at, but that a writers score was based upon the random page provided by the script. The point for writers, or anyone in any field to remember, is that any one is only as good as their worst piece of work.

The goal on Devtome (for writers) is to provide an opportunity for people to earn currency in exchange for their creative efforts, yet they must be graded against other writers so as to provide incentive for good writers, and for writers who have specialized knowledge, and also to ensure that writers who aren't meeting the standards do not skew the share distribution within devcoin between developers and writers. Writers are needed for the devcoin project to maintain momentum and interest, but to maintain that velocity and integrity, rating is essential to ensure that writers raise their standards and look at their work critically.

I agree with Notabot. I am following it loosely, images don't work with some things (like fiction stories unless you draw them yourself) I don't want to penalize someone for that. I do look for grammar, spelling, etc and plagiarism of course. If it is a non-fiction, I look for backing information and links, but I don't pay much attention to how I feel about the article so much as if it is a good article or story. I don't think I should penalize the author just because it was something that didn't catch my fancy or that I wasn't interested in.

Earn Devcoins by Writing | The Young Mage | DevCoin / DevTome Info Prototype Website
DVC:   1ARHF6HmFL87Rw29qZi1x5TGTDzFDQxMFH
BTC:   19w38CCB8YaxmJHkNH8gMjZYjw64SkQCcM
DODG: DNzDJTJrPEsSYpDGmD2iCFUfK8iJjeqm7C
Hunterbunter

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 12:10:09 AM

I agree with Notabot. I am following it loosely, images don't work with some things (like fiction stories unless you draw them yourself) I don't want to penalize someone for that. I do look for grammar, spelling, etc and plagiarism of course. If it is a non-fiction, I look for backing information and links, but I don't pay much attention to how I feel about the article so much as if it is a good article or story. I don't think I should penalize the author just because it was something that didn't catch my fancy or that I wasn't interested in.

Is it worth editing the rating guide page and putting a summary of how you rate it (in the same vein as what's there I suppose), so other raters in the future can see it's really up to them how they rate it?

It does say it's up to the rater, but this round I found myself following the basic guide more than just doing what I did the first time I rated. My ratings tended to go more towards "Strong references and logical arguments" for opiniony/blog/non-fiction things, and images only if I felt it would have made it easier to read/understand the topic.
Unthinkingbit

Activity: 935
Merit: 1015

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 12:51:32 AM

Is it worth editing the rating guide page and putting a summary of how you rate it (in the same vein as what's there I suppose), so other raters in the future can see it's really up to them how they rate it?

It does say it's up to the rater, but this round I found myself following the basic guide more than just doing what I did the first time I rated. My ratings tended to go more towards "Strong references and logical arguments" for opiniony/blog/non-fiction things, and images only if I felt it would have made it easier to read/understand the topic.

People can add their own rating method. I'm using an overly objective and analytic method because I make decisions for many devcoiners and don't want to show any bias. That doesn't apply to most other raters, so there's no need to use a strict method.

Pages: « 1 ... 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 [248] 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 ... 442 »
  Print  

Jump to: