Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 10:13:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... 442 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [DVC]DevCoin - Official Thread - Moderated  (Read 1058355 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Aegis (OP)

Activity: 23
Merit: 87

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 04:14:02 AM
Last edit: November 27, 2013, 03:46:05 AM by Aegis
Merited by Vlad2Vlad (72), develCuy (10), hornetsnest (3), realdantreccia (2)

This is the Main Devcoin thread. The following are popular devcoin links:

ASCMDVCPT - ASICMiner Devcoin  Pass Through
Buy Computer/Mining Parts with Devcoin
NEW! RapidBalls DVC Lotto
NEW! Buy Amazon Giftcards with Devcoin
NEW! Buy Books With Devcoin
Devcoin Advertising Campaign
Earn Devcoins by Writing
Free DVC! Devcoin Faucet Beta Test
Free Devcoin Faucet 20DVC per person!
Help with Setting Up a Devcoin Wallet - Ya I'm a Noob
IRC Channel: #devcoin on freenode.net
Official Site
Devcoin Bounty Page
Devcoin Escrow Service
Devcoin Talk Forums

DeVCoin is an ethically inspired project based on the Bitcoin cryptocurrency and was created to help fund open source projects created by writers, artists, and software developers.

Participants in the DeVCoin economy earn DeVCoins in proportion to their project development. Writers earn devcoins by writing, developers earn bitcoins by developing, Marketers earn devcoins by marketing, and Administrators earn devcoins by applying their time and effort to help organize the DevCoin project.

Hopefully DeVCoin will eventually fund all types of developers including hardware developers, graphic artists, musicians, and filmmakers.

Download instructions are at:
http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=devcoin#download

The number of devcoins offered is large because the generation is fifty thousand per block, one thousand times the initial bitcoin generation rate. Devcoins can be traded at:
https://vps.vircurex.com/welcome/index?base=dvc&alt=btc

Besides bounties, the remainder of the 90% of generation is going to the open source developers on the bitcoin donation list:
https://github.com/Unthinkingbit/charity/blob/master/bitcoinshare.html

and to the open source developers who are developing other stuff on the devcoin share list:
https://github.com/Unthinkingbit/charity/blob/master/devcoinshare.html

To get on a donation list to receive shares of devcoin, an open source developer should message the share administrator or post in this thread. For more information on developer shares, see the devtome page.

The developers on the bitcoin donation list can see their devcoins by running a devcoin client and importing their bitcoin donation key into devcoin. One way of importing that key is by following the README.txt instructions for the modified version of bitcoin tools which incorporates Matt Giuca's privkeyimport:
https://github.com/Unthinkingbit/bitcointools

They could also use Jackjack's pywallet:
https://github.com/jackjack-jj/pywallet

the instructions for which are in the Pywallet section at the bottom of the post:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=34586.msg432697#msg432697
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
acs26

June 14, 2013, 05:00:56 AM

As we have a new thread I would like to suggest that we keep it civil (as we do) even when silly ol' trolls come along.

Also if the Devcoiners could not reply to other threads that silly ol' trolls are on, they won't rise and get read by others.

Obviously some one is threatened by Devcoin or wants to replace it. Seeing as how the last silly ol' troll had advertising saying he'd promote new coins, maybe he was hired. Whatever. I think we should take it as a compliment that Devcoin and Devtome have something unique, as all can contribute and all can benefit.

I do agree with being civil.

However, it seemed more like a attack on Fin Shaggy, though both reasons seem valid. He was talking about DevCoin and competition, so that's also valid.
ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 05:10:07 AM

As we have a new thread I would like to suggest that we keep it civil (as we do) even when silly ol' trolls come along.

Also if the Devcoiners could not reply to other threads that silly ol' trolls are on, they won't rise and get read by others.

Obviously some one is threatened by Devcoin or wants to replace it. Seeing as how the last silly ol' troll had advertising saying he'd promote new coins, maybe he was hired. Whatever. I think we should take it as a compliment that Devcoin and Devtome have something unique, as all can contribute and all can benefit.

I do agree with being civil.

However, it seemed more like a attack on Fin Shaggy, though both reasons seem valid. He was talking about DevCoin and competition, so that's also valid.

People are against finshaggy due to the whole "bitcoin town" idea. Unrelated to DVC.

Posting here so I can watch the thread!

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
emfox

Activity: 276
Merit: 102

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 05:10:45 AM

So here we have the last offical thread?

Edit:

Do we have any redirection method when new people happen to msg or ask the account "Aegis" some devcoin questions?

also, could we just lock all the 3 other devcoin threads, and simply change the tilte of this thread to "DevCoin" ? it looks puzzled with the word "Aegis" at the tile.

Earn Devcoins by Writing
BTC: 1Emfox1WswYcd2YucUskRzqfRWKkcm1Jut DVC: 1Emfox1WswYcd2YucUskRzqfRWKkcm1Jut
IXC: xnRKo3qSDdcPJ4pgTLER3orkquUVQXeLwf
jasinlee

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

Its as easy as 0, 1, 1, 2, 3

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 05:12:11 AM

We are making an explanation video for Devcoin as a whole.
We'll make an animation video with an voice over. (Kinda like this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um63OQz3bjo )
Do we have a final devcoin logo to use that is voted upon? Or can we push that vote up to now if possible.

Needs Clarification:
  • Marticps does the animation, but needs a script, if someone is proficient at script writing please stand up.
    If someone already started a script who is it so we can mark you down.
  • There is a small bounty available for producing a video, but considering that the rules dont really allow for expanding on it, we are asking for pledged donations for marticps as this is a monumental task and very important step to building up devcoin.
  • There was not a certain date set for the video to be produced, but I am sure the bitcoin education site would like to have it sooner rather than later.
    I am planning on doing the voice over for free for the video.

Any comments please discuss.

Only a few points:
The video should be about 15 minutes. I find it maybe too long.
My skills can't do something as the video jasinlee posted, don't expect that please. I try to do something simple but pretty (https://mega.co.nz/#!Zp8TBCSQ!HsgP-z2rdA3rzy0c28TP20K7b6NOdmgbsb46p4QfHbw (Flash required, I hope fonts are embedded)).
I will do the animation in function of the script. It'd be better to record the off-voice before or to add timing at the script, in order to make the video and the audio fit in a proper way.

Thanks

Anyone able to write the script as a template for us as a guide that we can modify into the 15 minutes requested?

BTC 1JASiNZxmAN1WBS4dmGEDoPpzN3GV7dnjX DVC 1CxxZzqcy7YEVXfCn5KvgRxjeWvPpniK3                     Earn Devcoins Devtome.com
ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 05:12:46 AM

I hope so. All this bouncing around is making me nauseous, XD

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
Aegis (OP)

Activity: 23
Merit: 87

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 05:24:45 AM

Edit:

Do we have any redirection method when new people happen to msg or ask the account "Aegis" some devcoin questions?

also, could we just lock all the 3 other devcoin threads, and simply change the tilte of this thread to "DevCoin" ? it looks puzzled with the word "Aegis" at the tile.

1.) This is indeed the official thread.

3.) Unthinkingbit is going to lock his, if he already hasn't. The other DevCoin threads should be locked.

4.) I'm not sure about putting Aegis out of the title, but I will try to allow it to make sense. (Probably by saying, 'Aegis - Official DevCoin Thread')
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2013, 05:32:08 AM
Last edit: June 14, 2013, 05:42:16 AM by markm

Flash is dying fast. I don't bother installing the old versions that do work because already I get warnings that they do not plan to have any new versions work, so I might as well just get used to the fact that flash is just another walled garden I not only do not want anything to do with but also could not have anything to do with even if I wanted to because its that they don't want me in there not that I wouldn't've continued to grudgingly install their stupid proprietary crap from "network effects" unwashed-masses-pressure if they continued to make it actually work.

TL;DR: Flash is not going to be working on Linux going forward, so no one on Linux is likely to bother installing some long out of date version of a proprietary viewer just to view some adumentary...

Surely there must be some free open source animation system by now?

I would even argue that it is totally inappropriate, even undermining of DeVCoin principles, to be using some non open source crap to make our videos. It is a kind of misrepresentation even maybe, or at the least it implies that we too agree that free open source software is unsuitable for use for real world applications such as educational videos...

FOR SURE WE CANNOT PAY BOUNTY ON IT, RIGHT?

The entire content becomes non free-open-source by being unusable without a proprietary viewer???

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1530

www.ixcoin.net

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2013, 05:38:54 AM

Edit:

1.) This is indeed the official thread.

3.) Unthinkingbit is going to lock his, if he already hasn't. The other DevCoin threads should be locked.

4.) I'm not sure about putting Aegis out of the title, but I will try to allow it to make sense. (Probably by saying, 'Aegis - Official DevCoin Thread')

What does Aegis have to do with?  Isn't that from some Greek myth? 

But I agree with a couple other have said here.  The last 2 days were weird.  First one troll and then a sudden attack on finshaggy which made no sense and as soon as I jumped in to defend him the 2 or 3 guys attacking fin dissapeared not offering any kind of rebuttal.  It seemed so coordinated. 

Not sure if they wanted to eliminate a high earner so they would have more shares for themselves or if this was an attack on devcoin and fin is one of our best promoters but we have to watch out for stuff like this and stand up for each other.  I was surprised I was the only one who stepped in, and after I did a couple other guys did too.

We can't let one guy with multiple aliases come in here and wreck this place. 

iXcoin - Welcome to the F U T U R E!
jasinlee

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 06:32:35 AM

Flash is dying fast. I don't bother installing the old versions that do work because already I get warnings that they do not plan to have any new versions work, so I might as well just get used to the fact that flash is just another walled garden I not only do not want anything to do with but also could not have anything to do with even if I wanted to because its that they don't want me in there not that I wouldn't've continued to grudgingly install their stupid proprietary crap from "network effects" unwashed-masses-pressure if they continued to make it actually work.

TL;DR: Flash is not going to be working on Linux going forward, so no one on Linux is likely to bother installing some long out of date version of a proprietary viewer just to view some adumentary...

I would even argue that it is totally inappropriate, even undermining of DeVCoin principles, to be using some non open source crap to make our videos. It is a kind of misrepresentation even maybe, or at the least it implies that we too agree that free open source software is unsuitable for use for real world applications such as educational videos...

The entire content becomes non free-open-source by being unusable without a proprietary viewer???

-MarkM-

After the video is created, we can convert it to something more available to the masses. Who cares what he writes it in initially? Let him choose his method, then we will be thankful we have someone talented enough to create it and just convert it after the fact if we dont like flash.

BTC 1JASiNZxmAN1WBS4dmGEDoPpzN3GV7dnjX DVC 1CxxZzqcy7YEVXfCn5KvgRxjeWvPpniK3                     Earn Devcoins Devtome.com
acs26

June 14, 2013, 06:44:29 AM

Question for the experts:

I was wondering what is the safest way to store your dvc.

Is it a pc wallet?
Is it vircurex? (?!?) with all its ups and downs
Is it devda? (?!?) if a few days ago you were not at home checking your wallet, you would come back without wallet at all.

The security issue is still a major mental obstacle for everyone approaching this world.

I suggest both Vircurex and a PC wallet. Vircurex isn't that secure, unless you're using a strong password and a YubiKey. So don't store too much, unless you're going to exchange it. Use your PC wallet for your large amounts.
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2013, 06:51:36 AM

After the video is created, we can convert it to something more available to the masses. Who cares what he writes it in initially? Let him choose his method, then we will be thankful we have someone talented enough to create it and just convert it after the fact if we dont like flash.

We care because bounties and shares are paid only for free open source stuff, not proprietary stuff. Its the same thing as all the audio files in Linux distributions being .ogg, they apparently have to be because the common alternatives are not free open source codex / codices. (I think we also don't use GIF anymore too, similarly, ever since the big burn the GIFs campaign a decade or so ago or more.)

So sure if his flash authoring tool can also put out a free open source codex or he can convert it as you seem to expect to be possible (googling reveals google themselves made a converter to convert flash to HTML5) then fine, but we don't do bounties or shares for proprietary stuff so any bounty or share would be for the HTML5 or whatever free open source thing not whatever proprietary formats he used internally in his studio to create the free open source end-result.

If he cannot produce free open source but you can by converting his stuff, then it would be you who should get the bounty, and you'd share it out among your team as you see fit, such as to give him most or all of it for creating the flash thing you used to produce the actually rewardable end result.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
killerstorm
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 07:07:11 AM

So sure if his flash authoring tool can also put out a free open source codex or he can convert it as you seem to expect to be possible (googling reveals google themselves made a converter to convert flash to HTML5) then fine, but we don't do bounties or shares for proprietary stuff so any bounty or share would be for the HTML5 or whatever free open source thing not whatever proprietary formats he used internally in his studio to create the free open source end-result.

1. It is "codec", not "codex". Codec means "coder - decoder".
2. It is possible to play flash video using free, open source software. FLV is just a container for audio/video encoded using certain codecs, and many of them are supported by open source video software.
3. For example, I'm using Debian wtih Gnash (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnash) but not Adobe Flash, and I can watch Youtube videos. But not videos on other sites. Apparently most flash video players use some feature which is specific to Adobe Flash and are not compatible with Gnash. However, it is only a problem with player (i.e. a thing which shows buttons and whatnot), not a problem with video format itself.
4. FWIW Gnash uses ffmpeg/avcodec.

EDIT: Oh, it isn't video, it is Flash animation. I've downloaded it and it seems to be work fine with Gnash, so it is open source enough, I guess.

Chromia: a better dapp platform
jasinlee

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 07:29:31 AM

No no we should let mark have his way and not pay him for his work since that makes more sense.

marticps

Activity: 102
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2013, 07:59:28 AM

-MarkM-

Let's see, I've send you a .swf file because it's really light, but of course it won't be the final format file. The other option was to send you a video file from near 1GB, instead of this 24kb file. Flash is the software I use, actionscript is the language I use, but that does not mean that you will need a propietary viewer. I think you did not get what is open source and what is flash. I am not telling that you'll need to have installed Flash in order to see the video. You asked me for a sample of the video and I showed that.

Adobe Flash is just a tool to create a video file. HTML5 animation is not useful for us, because it'd be less supported and it'd last years and years to load a 15' animation. If I make a video file, you just can embed it into your website using .ogg, .mp4 or .webm.

So markm, I think you are a programmer (correct me if wrong). Have you ever worked with designers? All this non open source crap you are talking about is basically the only crap we have to design. It's not wonderful, I know, but it's what we have. It is not about the software we use, but about the content we create. The licenses don't enter at the creation software and tools level, just on the content and creations.

Please don't hesitate to ask any doubt you have, but please don't talk without knowledge of the situation, as a lot of people here in devcoin community does.

On the other side, I think that if I have to be funded by donations the best way to work is to keep uploading all the new versions, in order to let you know where am I and what I am doing, so if you don't like you just have to say it. So, the first sample is the following (cool formats for everybody):
.ogv: https://mega.co.nz/#!Es9QjJAS!NB5pZEt4dWP7BmcDrIeba2UGu2EGVHZujzgnEMqjnfY
.mp4: https://mega.co.nz/#!Rw1xhAwB!GYnGhTr9K4YrEhWl_I6kvgfGLZlrSajxFYCr2rGJs4o
.webm: https://mega.co.nz/#!sll0zKaL!ede6gSVOR26bFyXxGBx0Ph7BagAVr-usz-4usXIUN94

Marticps I would say just post your own donation address, and we can just send you coins directly. Please specify type that you would prefer btc/ltc/dvc etc.

BTC: 13oSBu1fFzLs157TWJY7bkVSoMab69zKNn
DVC: 1MFKi4r2U89o8w5YSxE4BfcTxmgg6wMpci

BTC: 1D8PbvnLDrfEC78Q7fbiqxvdm7kML4hiqT | DVC: 1GftqKkDcjAQzQT9544vzyPBYBY8FL6qQy
Share and grow: Creative Commons, Copyleft | Earn Devcoins by Writing
worldinacoin

Activity: 756

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 08:08:54 AM

It is getting a bit confusing with the changes of the Devcoin thread.  Hope that the trolls will leave us alone.
marticps

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2013, 08:11:44 AM
Last edit: June 14, 2013, 09:10:43 AM by marticps

No no we should let mark have his way and not pay him for his work since that makes more sense.

I think that what doesn't make sense is what markm said. It's strange because I think he should have clear what is open source and what it is not.
Edit: Open source means that I will publish the source files, and allow people to view, edit and create new versions of this source files, despite the software I used to create it is not open source. That's what I have learned.

BTC: 1D8PbvnLDrfEC78Q7fbiqxvdm7kML4hiqT | DVC: 1GftqKkDcjAQzQT9544vzyPBYBY8FL6qQy
marticps

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2013, 08:58:54 AM

Who is behind devda.ch?

I think it's icoin

weisoq

Activity: 720

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 09:07:29 AM
Last edit: June 14, 2013, 11:21:06 AM by weisoq

Another Devtome request:

There's not yet anybody to formally do this but been starting to file all devtome articles as numbers are growing and logistically will become difficult over time as most do not categorise their articles at the end or by submission date so each has had to be skim read for subject matter/fiction (topic is not always clear from title). This will also make it easier to note new additions and spot any contentious work.

Would be a great help, a lot quicker and to everyone's benefit if each author could have a quick run through just their own articles and file them appropritely (just involves copying the article title part from the url (e.g. the bold part here http://devtome.com/doku.php?id=gold) -> finding appropriate category -> edit at the top and pasting to the appropriate part with colon and two square brackets either side as the other links [[:gold]] (and formatting it a little if you can for tidiness without any underscores).

I've spent some time tidying it up, adding categories and subs and going through articles one-by-one but it's slow and takes ages. Should now be fairly straightforward to find the right place for your work, and you will fiind many have already been done. Category only has to be ballpark, we can go through later and finalise, but authors know best what their articles are about (if you feel there's no appropriate subheading for your work new categories can be added in the same way as articles (without adding to your own page), I'll then spot the addition and link to it.

If you can find time to do this can you let me know when you have and I'll take it from there and work from the 'latest' which is now near complete. In steps:
----------
1. Login to devtome, go to your page.
2. Open another version of devtome in another tab on your browser, in that tab go to devtome.com (the page with the topics section)

3. First tab: On your page, click 'edit this page'
4. Select (highlight) and copy the article text for your first one, including colon and both sets of square brackets e.g. [[:article]]

5. Second Tab: the one with the topics, find the topic that relates to the subject of your article and select it, if there is a subheading that's even more appropriate then select that. Once you're on the topic page that corresponds to your article, click 'edit this page'
6. Paste the [[:article]] (that you previously copied) onto that topic page, in the same manner as those already there.
7. 'Preview' to make sure it looks as you want it to then 'Save'

8. Repeat steps 4 to 7 for the rest of your articles. You don't need to save your own page as you're only copying.

If there really isn't an appropriate category for your article, either create a new one or copy them in the same manner as above onto the front topics page, just grouped together in the correct area as the 'health' articles are for the time being. The categorisation of articles has no effect on word count. Maybe it should though, that's an interesting idea.

For anyone who can't be arsed with doing that, could you at least put them under 'latest' on the topic page with the date you put them there, whereupon I'll delete them out of sheer pissedoffedness. Or I might file them, or if there are loads somebody else might. Seriously though if it's going to work as a wiki it needs sorting out.
Reposting this, if this is THE thread (I'd bin the 'aegis' part of the title as just confusing)
TaxReturn

Activity: 67

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 09:16:27 AM

Open Source Alternatives for 2D Animation:

Synfig
Pencil
Tupi

General Guidance for Alternatives:

http://www.osalt.com/
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... 442 »
  Print  

Jump to: